homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gypsy is utterly gorgeous! [Axe murder] is it true that for temperament black labs are the most reliable?

Off to work today, trying to get there early - lots to do. [Roll Eyes]

Hope everyone has a good day. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to Cornwall today, a week in the Lizard and a week near Lands End, with lots of walking, beach combing and swimming [Smile] I am so looking forward to this holiday, as is my husband who was at work til after midnight last night as his work is hectic at present [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gypsy is so cute, Boogie.

Nenya - I grew up with Labradors, grandparents had four that I remember, my father had one while I was growing up and I had two when my daughter was a baby / toddler, one each of black and yellow.

Anecdotally, the yellow ones all had brilliant temperaments: acted as climbing frames for toddlers and stood patiently as said toddlers learned to walk using them as support. My one rolled his eyes and looked pained but put up with it. My father's one gave me one warning nip when I was poking and prodding too painfully when I was a toddler and looked exceedingly upset when he'd done it. (I still have the scar, but that's probably more to do with the allergic reaction to the antibiotics).

The black Labs, however, were a mixed bag, particularly the ones with pale eyes. We were told to stay away from one of grandfather's dogs, Bruce, because he hated children and would attack without warning, but Bruce wasn't reliably good with adults either. My black Lab was epileptic and couldn't be trusted either (he died following a massive epileptic fit).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie - Gypsy looks like a load of energetic mischief! However will she become calm enough to be a guide dog??

Drizzling here - the annoying sort that covers the lenses of your glasses so that you can't see a thing! What the garden wants is a good steady rain for a couple of days. ( know, I am an old misery-guts! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nenya, all colours are used for Guide Dogs and also German Shepherds and Flatcoats.

I went to Guide Dog puppy class with Fifi and, of ten dogs, all were black except Fifi!

Black dogs are traditionally used as gun dogs, sometimes yellow, but never chocolate - not sure why.

Gypsy can 'sit' already.

Here she is trying out her day bed, it's already too small - I got it thinking a seven week old puppy was coming [Smile]

The next job is introducing Gypsy and Tatze. Tatze has been staying at my friends overnight so that Gypsy could settle in, and is due home any time now.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gypsy's bed looks especially comfy. I'm sorry they don't make human versions.

I'm sat watching the crazily good antics of the UK gymnasts and it's making me quite tired [Snore]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, Gypsy is SO CUTE!!!!
Heavenly Anarchis, I envy you. I love the far west of Cornwall - we stayed at Marazion for a week in June. Hope you have good weather. There has been a pod of dolphins in Mounts Bay recently.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, these puppy pics are making me all broody and I have had to give myself a good talking to. I don't even like dogs very much!

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gypsy looks lovely. How long do you have her for? I guess you have a programme to follow while she is with you. Like Thyme it makes me feel a bit broody ( compounded by spending time with friends with dogs a couple of weeks ago), but I'm more of a cat person really.
Just back from a week in Genova, I've eaten a lot of pesto....

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
Gypsy looks lovely. How long do you have her for?

She will go to 'big school' at 12 to 14 months. Yes, we have a really specific training programme and classes to go to every week. Lots of rules too. No balls, no human food, no getting on furniture, no paws up on people, no toiletting on walks or in the garden, no toys which are not toys (plastic bottles etc) All these rules because they will eventually be a guide dog - so need to be very reliable [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But how can you resist those eyes?!
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Absolutely, Chocoholic - with that look you could forgive her anything, couldn't you?

After another v. hot day, it's cooled down a bit here and there's even a cool-ish breeze blowing in through the study window. It's still set to be hot over the weekend but a bit less humid, Deo gratias.

somewhat less uncomfortable piglet [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're having rather cool nights at the moment, though they wouldn't seem so to piglet. I make sure both kidneys and bladder are well wrapped otherwise I am commuting to the bathroom every hour.

A friend popping in to see me later this morning so I suppose I'd better tidy up a bit.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weather forecast isn't encouraging - it says rain from about lunchtime until tonight. At some point this weekend I was thinking of an excursion to the Cotswold lavender fields but I'll see what tomorrow looks like.

Raisin and lemon pancakes (the small kind) for breakfast, as supplied by a well-known supermarket. They smell great when lightly toasted - delicious, too.

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Agreed, Ariel - supposed to be cricketing in said Cotswolds today - against [name drop]Brendan from Strictly[/name drop] - but the forecast isn't looking promising. We may find ourselves forced into Oxford to drink beer instead...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Another photo of Gypsy with Tatze.

I'm going to do a blog and put a link in my sig [Smile] They are beginning to settle together, and Tatze is really good at sharing.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Agreed, Ariel - supposed to be cricketing in said Cotswolds today - against [name drop]Brendan from Strictly[/name drop] - but the forecast isn't looking promising. We may find ourselves forced into Oxford to drink beer instead...

Really? Brendan was one of the reasons I used to enjoy Strictly - one of my favourite dancers. Didn't know he played cricket as well - he must be good if he's up against an entire cricket team singlehanded. [Razz]

If your weather forecast is anything like mine you might as well get ready for the pub now. We've been promised 8 hours of heavy rain starting mid-morning.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is August in Embra, the Fringe has started, the Festival is gearing up, the tourists are flocking and it is raining. Steadily.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've only visited Edinburgh once. It was during the Festival about five years ago. I liked the city very much.

I would have liked it even more if it had stopped raining [Frown]

[ 02. August 2014, 08:16: Message edited by: Abigail ]

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Really? Brendan was one of the reasons I used to enjoy Strictly - one of my favourite dancers. Didn't know he played cricket as well - he must be good if he's up against an entire cricket team singlehanded.

Smartypants, you know what I mean! But yes, he's a kiwi, so it shouldn't be too big a surprise.

Watching the clouds gather... [Frown]

AG

[ 02. August 2014, 09:16: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raining here [Smile] The garden really needs it, and everything is looking much happier now!

Sorry to be spoil sport. [Big Grin] But not all of us can cope with temps up in the high 20's [Help]

Boogie - that's an awful lot for a wee puppy to learn! Hope it goes well!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been into town to get some cash from the ATM and do a little shopping. On the way I saw a truck with The Lord is my Shepherd emblazoned across the top of the windscreen and ever since I have had @#!$%^&^%$!#@ Crimond going round and round and round and round and round and round my head. For me one of the beauties of being a Quaker is NO Crimond. I love the Psalms, I love the 23rd Psalm but...

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a friend who is an organist, and a very fine one too. A few years ago he took a job as the resident organist at the local crematorium to help make ends meet. He found that playing Crimond 8 times a day drove him up the wall.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can relate to that.

I earned a crust as a student filling in at the local crem, particularly at Christmas when they used to put in extra service slots.

On one less than happy day I played Abide with me 13 times [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I can relate to that.

I earned a crust as a student filling in at the local crem, particularly at Christmas when they used to put in extra service slots.

On one less than happy day I played Abide with me 13 times [Eek!]

Never mind, it could have been "The Old Rugged Cross"....
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi everyone

Flying visit in between foie gras land and Taizé [Smile] .

I thought you'd all be interested to know that in the "things I've never done before" category, we have rented a château. It's a wine producing château and since the wedding is out of season the man has given us a whopping 40% of his full price and is going to throw in the wine for free [Yipee]

And since this is the info that you're really interested in, the caterer has just about been selected [Big Grin] . I shall update you on the menu once it's finalised. For a start, we need to call him again and tell him we don't want a pièce montée (traditional French wedding confection made of chou and caramel). We told him we wanted this but after a bit more discussion realised that neither of us really like it and we were both saying yes because we thought the other one cared [Biased] .

[Hit the wrong button and posted too soon [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 02. August 2014, 21:04: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Watching the clouds gather... [Frown]

They didn't wreck it! We had one torrential downpour for about an hour and a half, but the ground was so dry it just slurped it up. As we'd started early, we got the whole game in - and won, and I took three wickets! So a good day despite the weather. Amazingly, we had blue skies for almost the whole of the rest of the match - showers passed on either side of us, but none overhead.

How was your luck with it, Ariel?

AG

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went.to an open air theatre production of "Oliver Twist" - the play, not the musical - this evening and it stayed dry, if a tad chilly and breezy. [Smile] Mr Nen and Nenlet2 did some father-son bonding down the pub while I was out.

Nen - glad to be now tucked up in bed.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I have had @#!$%^&^%$!#@ Crimond going round and round and round and round and round and round my head ...

Poor you. I love metrical psalms, but not that one. I remember D's predecessor in St. Magnus (a very fiery Welshman) nearly blowing a gasket when, after he'd rehearsed a different tune* with the choir, the minister announced "We will now sing the twenty-third psalm to that wonderful tune Crimond".

There was bilingual swearing. [Eek!]

It's still very hot and sticky - the promised reduction in humidity was only marginal - so I've spent most of the day sitting under a fan trying to keep cool. We went out for a pizza this evening and it was very good, but sadly there was no air-con. [Help]

* I can't remember now which one - it may have been Wiltshire.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In pursuit purely of pleasing Pete [nothing at all about me not having to get up at 05.30 on a Sunday morning] we have just tried another Church, I suppose it is really our parish church, and their 09.30 Mass. It is a big church and a big parish, very different from the little mission church we have been going to for a while now. Pete will be astonished, or not, that they run strictly to India time - the clergy did not even head to get vested until past the starting time and it eventually got going about 09.40. The surprise was the complete lack of smoke! An Indian Mass without incense!

[Eek!]

Anyway it was okay, it has a ramp but the forecourt is covered in gravel but all survivable - we managed to get Pete in there for a look around a few years ago. Most Western clergy might be a bit jealous - four clergy in one parish! But then there is both a junior seminary and a residential unit for both the physically less able and the mentally challenged.

I refuse to comment further despite temptation.

[Angel]

There was a bit of a do afterwards for the clergy with various people giving short addresses and the organist/keyboard player started playing softly if he thought they had gone on too long - perhaps he needs to try that with the clergy during the homily.

And aren't nuns bossy? There was one of them herding the kids and getting them to sit on the floor in lines and in the right order - littlies at the front, etc.

All good fun.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Amazingly, we had blue skies for almost the whole of the rest of the match - showers passed on either side of us, but none overhead.

How was your luck with it, Ariel?

Blimey - it started raining shortly after I'd posted that and kept up for several hours, varying from light to monsoon and cleared off shortly before 4, so that was most of the day gone. There was no way anyone could have played anything but water polo in what we were getting. Glad to hear your match wasn't cancelled after all and that you won it!

Looks like a lovely sunny day now, though the temperature is down - good day to go out. [Big Grin]

[ 03. August 2014, 06:48: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had almost no rain for the last 6 weeks or so. Can you send some here please? Even the big trees are showing the signs.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We need the rain we're getting. We had weeks of sunshine before we've had a few days of rain, here and there, and occasional spectacular thunderstorms.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Made it to the Cotswold lavender fields this morning. You can smell them before you see them.

I can recommend the lavender ice cream, studded with little edible flowers (if you chew them, the flavour lasts quite a while), and the perfectly blended, very more-ish lavender chocolate.

If it hadn't started raining after I got there, I'd have stayed longer. Some of the fields have been harvested already - they are coming towards the end of their season now - but there are still rows of all the different kinds and colours, with hundreds of bees making the most of them. I can see I'm going to have to go back.

Annoyingly, it rained almost all the way home and the sun only came out when I got there.

[ 03. August 2014, 13:24: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... the organist started playing softly if he thought they had gone on too long ...

Softly??? What a wuss. [Big Grin] The blowing mechanism of our organ is somewhat asthmatic, and D. has been known to drop hints to over-zealous preachers by switching the wind on. Sadly most of them are impervious to this level of subtlety, and the only effect it has is to make the choir giggle.

There was quite a lot of giggling during the sermon this morning as it was: the preacher was a former Orthodox deacon who has joined us and is to be ordained to our Diaconate in October, and his delivery style was, um, amusing.

We're very well-served with clergy: we have five (5½ if you include him), although only two of them are paid.

Despite the promises of cooler weather from the lying toe-rag who poses as a weather-man on the local news, the church was extremely uncomfortable today; even with the great West doors open I was nearly passing out by the end of both services. It does seem to be cooling a little now, but that may be because it's nearly midnight ... [Eek!]

[ 04. August 2014, 02:26: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

How often should one clean the window in the door of the oven?

We don't use the oven much but we have had the cooker for about 7 years and it has just had its first clean - not completely clean but loads better than it was.

Is [Hot and Hormonal] appropriate or should I go for [Cool] ?

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I normally opt for once every 4 months. But it depends on how often the landlord comes round for an inspection.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

So I suppose I should go for [Hot and Hormonal]

Fair enough.

I haven't been out of the house today, or only as far as the verandah but I must go out tomorrow as we have bills to pay - money comes in, money goes out - at least we the funds to pay it so I am thankful for that.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

When you say 'window' - are you suggesting that one is supposed to see through it? That the brown stain is not meant to match the oven trim? Ooo er! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The rains here have finally established themselves so there is hope for the maize harvest.
They alternate between tropical storms and rainfall which so reminds me of West Sussex that it makes me homesick!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

Whenever you can't see through it/there is a thick haze of smoke when you heat the oven up.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Good news!

Gypsy is staying. My Puppy Walking Supervisor came this afternoon and Tatze has passed all her Big Sister tests. Hurrah! Woohoo!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

They have matching collars now as Tatze kept trying to eat the leather one, so my PWS said I can use Tatze's puppy collar in the house and the proper leather Guide Dogs one out and about.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Welease Woderwick
quote:
Every time the oven has been used.

Wring out a cloth in very hot soapy water and then wipe while the glass is still hot. All, or nearly all, splashes and marks will just wipe off.

[If you want to clean the whole oven put straight into a hot oven a dish with boiling water, generous squeeze of washing up liquid and tablespoon of soda crystals, then shut the door. Ten minutes later take out shelves to wash, and wipe out the oven.]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

There are oven cleaners which you spray on and then just wipe off ten minutes later (remember not to breathe in while doing it). I found these a godsend especially if you've let grunge accumulate for a while/have inherited the oven from a previous tenant who never cleaned it.
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Boogie, and the blog is great. Hope you will post here when you update it.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whilst having a coffee with my sister this afternoon we heard a thunderous noise coming from the skies. Joined many other people stood outside the front doors to see a a euro fighter scream overhead.

She lives about half a mile from Manchester airport, had to turn on the news to see what it was all about.

Scary

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Boogie, does that mean that you're going to train her? [Smile]

I took the day off today - we had a big academic funeral at the Cathedral at which the choir was singing - but as tomorrow is Regatta Day and a public holiday I'll work that instead. We have no real interest in it, and D. still does his Wednesday lunch-time organ recital, so it may as well be business as usual.

The Regatta is a moveable feast - they announce early in the morning whether it's going to go ahead, based on the weather - but they're fairly confident that it'll be OK. It's just as well it's not later in the week, as we're possibly getting the tail-end of Hurricane Bertha* on Thursday.

* D. found this nomenclature rather alarming, as when he was teaching he had a boss called Bertha who was, um, a bit scary ... [Eek!]

[ 06. August 2014, 02:24: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Boogie, does that mean that you're going to train her?

Yes - I have to train her to be a friendly, sociable pup. I have to take her in cafes, restaurants, shops, on all sorts of transport and in as many different situations as I can think of. This has already started, but I have to carry her wherever dogs might have been until all her vaccinations are done, 'tho I can put her down in shops. She must only ever poo and wee in her spending area, not on walks or in the garden. She must walk down the centre of the pavement without sniffing anything (!) and to ignore people when out and about. These are all aims for when she's 14 months old and leaves me - not to be accomplished tomorrow!!

[Smile]

[ 06. August 2014, 06:08: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

Gosh! How on earth do you train a dog not to sniff?

Also, if they are out for the day can they be trained not to need a wee or poo? I mean, supposing they need one? Or are dogs different from people in that regard?

What about Tatze? Presumably she doesn't have to abide by these standards so how does that work if she is allowed to do things that Gypsy isn't.

I'm fascinated by all this about Guide Dog training. I've just taken it for granted when I've seen them out and about.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Gosh! How on earth do you train a dog not to sniff?

Also, if they are out for the day can they be trained not to need a wee or poo? I mean, supposing they need one? Or are dogs different from people in that regard?

What about Tatze? Presumably she doesn't have to abide by these standards so how does that work if she is allowed to do things that Gypsy isn't.

I'm fascinated by all this about Guide Dog training. I've just taken it for granted when I've seen them out and about.

The 'not sniffing' thing is when they are working, which (for the pup) is when it's in the blue jacket. For the Guide Dog it's when it is in harness. You start with very short sessions, then the jacket is off and the dog can relax and be doggy again. So, in a cafe etc, you will see the owner take the harness off.

If they are out for the day they are trained to wee/poo on command - so, after a meal, the Guide Dog owner will take the dog out to a designated area (work have to provide one) and tell it to 'go' - and it does, because us puppy walkers have done a good job :-)

Tatze will free run with Gypsy when Gypsy is old enough - when free running they are not working so they can be as doggy as they like - but still preferably only toileting on command (so I will make sure Gypsy has 'been' before we set off).

Tatze uses the bottom of the garden as a toilet and will continue to do so. Gyp is allowed in the garden but only after she has 'been'. She is brill and already takes herself to the spending area - she has to go through a door and through the utility room to get there - then comes and sits for a treat! These dogs really are bred for intelligence.

When Gypsy is training in Jacket Tatze won't be with us - Tatze gets a good hour and a half run at lunch time every day and is very happy to snooze after that - so then, after that, Gypsy comes wherever I go, shopping etc.

Tatze has never been allowed human food, so that's no problem. She is allowed on my sofa, when I'm on it but no other time. Gypsy won't be allowed to do that but she will be fine - dogs accept such differences much better than we do [Smile]

[ 06. August 2014, 10:10: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016