homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
I heard a thing earlier this week that Orkney has the lowest proportion of swear words on Twitter. I thought of you Piglet!

Expect they're all in Norse, so nobody else notices them.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course they're Norse (sorry).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Norse code, innit?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
prik prik prik streg streg streg prik prik prik

Go on, guess!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

...---... [Smile]
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Stripping the willow can be a bit much for older bones! [Eek!]

Stripping the willow should be the last dance of the night, and played at increasing tempo till there is only one left standing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

I think it's a St Trinian's line isn't it: - 'And now we will Strip the Willow- be quiet, Willow Metcalfe!'

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I sympathise, at our local barn dance this week we enthusiastically joined in for the first three hours. But then, at the announcement that Strip the Willow would be the next dance, decided to call it a day and wend our way home. Not least, because after Strip the Willow always comes the dreaded Basket!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I sympathise, at our local barn dance this week we enthusiastically joined in for the first three hours. But then, at the announcement that Strip the Willow would be the next dance, decided to call it a day and wend our way home. Not least, because after Strip the Willow always comes the dreaded Basket!

Ah! Baskets!

A few years, before Mrs Sioni and I were reduced to one good knee out of four, we went to barn dances and one caller always ended with a variant of the Dashing White Sergeant (which involves two women for each man), followed by a Basket dance, followed by the Drops o' Brandy, which is like Strip the Willow BUT can even more easily descend into a battle between the dancers and the band, unless you have a very strong lead couple!

[ 13. September 2014, 17:14: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice afternoon in Bath yesterday. Has anyone been to the Abbey recently? They have the loveliest diptychs on display - 35 of them telling the story of Jesus, comprised of pairs of a calligraphy page and a fabric collage page (so there are really 70 little artworks). The calligraphy is exquisite, with brief verses from the Gospels done like an illuminated manuscript, and the fabric collage symbolizes an appropriate event. After I'd reached the end, I went back, slowly, again to savour it all a second time. It's on until 31 October.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds lovely, I do like Bath. Perhaps I might persuade my other half of a weekend away for our anniversary in October.
I spent the morning at a work meeting to discuss my course's revamp, which was very helpful and also good to see my colleagues (we rarely see each other as it is correspondence tuition). Now my husband has disappeared up to Yorkshire to launch a new product at a business fair, he has just set up a company with some friends. So I'm letting the children have free rein on the computer [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were deeply shocked this morning that there was only one altar boy on duty at the 9.30 mass - usually there is at least 4 and more often 6. The kids at this new place we go to are slowly getting over their initial shyness and now smile and wave at me whilst they're being organised by the adults before the service begins.

The kids all sit at the front, segregated, like the adults, into female on the Epistle side and male on the Gospel side - little ones right at the front and then graded until you got to the teens who then blend into the adults. I sit off in a delinquent sub-group in the south transept - we are all of a certain age and either can't or choose not to join in the aerobics bit of the mass. Getting down on my knees is no challenge at all but getting up again [Eek!]

Adults sit near the kids and supervise, making sure they kneel up straight and look suitably prayerful, hands flat together [no intertwining of fingers!] and held in front of the chest. On the girl's side the supervision is done by some rather jolly nuns; though whether they seem jolly to the girls is another matter altogether.

Still, it is a friendly place and the multitude of clergy seem all very pleasant - and at least mass is at a civilised hour!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't remember the last time I had to queue for a church service (we Britons are good at queuing, and it was all done in an orderly and seemly manner), but today's Ordination service at the Cathedral was overwhelmingly popular. To get everyone seated and the main procession to run its course took over half an hour beyond the expected time. I should think half the clergy of Creamtealand were there in some guise or other. The vergers were working like overactive beavers all through the service to ensure things went smoothly. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't attending a Royal Wedding by mistake!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There’s a particular church in central Paris which organises classical concerts every Saturday evening. This week it was meant to be a soprano/piano duet. They cancelled late on Friday (I’m guessing one of them was sick).

At this point the desperate organisers start phoning round all their contacts to see if anyone else is prepared to replace them at 24 hours’ notice. My cello teacher is the barking insane person who says yes.

In 24 hours he put together a programme of the first two Bach suites in full (by heart) and extracts of the others (with the score, which he didn’t really need but it made him feel better), plus several absurdly hard pyrotechnical concert pieces. He was phenomenal. In a lesson he doesn’t usually play more than a few bars at a time and I can forget just how flippin’ gifted he is. Good grief.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're now back at D's mum's, after a nice mosey down from Orkney. We stopped briefly in Edinburgh to see my sister and brother and others of the clan Piglet, then worked our way south in easy stages via York, Scarborough, Wakefield, Manchester (where we saw D's niece and her boyfriend, who we hadn't met before) and Bristol, so that D. could revisit his old haunts from his university days.

We've done an inordinate amount of eating from the sublime (a restaurant called Côte in Bristol) to the ridiculous (a deafeningly noisy Weatherspoon's pub in Pontefract where the food was much better than we expected it to be).

Now for a few days mooching around Essex, then London on Thursday and home on Friday.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Now for a few days mooching around Essex, then London on Thursday and home on Friday.

Have fun!

I bet you are glad to miss the 'big vote'!

I am off to the dentist for a check up, should be fine, I usually know when a tooth is getting dodgy and 90% have been seen to anyway (mostly crowns, inlays and implants - all done by Hungarians in Shepherds Bush!)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Give Essex a wave for me, piglet!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We've done an inordinate amount of eating from the sublime (a restaurant called Côte in Bristol)

Was that in the Clifton area? If so, I've eaten there. But it is a chain, so it may be another. It's an ever-so-slightly homogenized French Experience - but OTOH, the quality of the ingredients is very good and the service prompt. Also been in the Cambridge one several times.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So today we got the inflation figures. On the one hand we are told that inflation is down so there's no need for an interest rate rise (see here).

Yet at the same time, we have rampant inflation in the housing market, in some areas it is into double digits (see here).

As someone trying to save for a deposit, this is all terribly disheartening. The interest rates are at record low levels and have been for ages, all to sustain our current housing bubble. When the effective rate of inflation in my area is a smidgen under 20% and the best I can do in savings in 2.25%, it's no wonder landlords can charge what they like for boxes that aren't big enough to swing the proverbial cat in. It keeps the rents up which means we have less to save each month and so can't make up the gap between house price inflation and savings rates.

When the bubble bursts, this is all going to get very nasty indeed for some who've been enjoying their underpriced mortgage interest rates.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...to the ridiculous (a deafeningly noisy Weatherspoon's pub in Pontefract where the food was much better than we expected it to be)...

If that was the Broken Bridge in the centre of town, I know what you mean. But then I find that about 'Spoons pubs in general.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I seem to have spent the whole day doing housework which, whilst gratifying in itself, is rather dull. I'm looking forward to when my studies start again in a few weeks, I need something to think about.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
... a restaurant called Côte in Bristol

Was that in the Clifton area? ...
Yes - and you're right, it is a chain, but a v. good one, and the sort of thing we just don't have in Canada. We've eaten in one right on the banks of the Thames not far from the Tower of London a couple of times and realised when we got into the Bristol one that it was the same chain.

A in E - yes, it was the Broken Bridge. Decent enough pub grub, but v. v. noisy.

After a nice lazy morning today, had a spot of Retail Therapy while D. went to visit his old music-teacher, then we went out with the intention of eating fish and chips while watching the boats at Harwich, but the fog came in so we ended up having a really not bad, old-fashioned pub supper at the Cross pub in Tendring.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've just baked some lemon cake, and it's rather nice with a cup of tea [Smile] I resisted making it a gin and lemon cake, though I did pour some of the cake mix over some apricot halves poached in sugar and Cointreau which will make a lovely individual puddings for this evening.
Other than that a lazy day here so far, with another visit to the dentist and a referral for surgical extraction of the broken tooth [Roll Eyes] must do some tidying now though.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor you, HA - dental work is horrid. Hope it all goes OK.

We went up to Bury St. Edmunds today (via lunch at the Rushbrooke Arms in Sicklesmere (v. good, and a cheeseboard with the best Stilton I've ever tasted - it was positively creamy, and not at all scary). Caught Evensong at the Cathedral - men's voices, mostly plainsong and faux-bourdons, which was v. nice - and said hello to the organist, who's an old friend from our Cathedral Organists' Association days.

Now off to get a few last-minute things to take back that we can't get at home, then try and squeeze everything* into the cases [Eek!] and get an early-ish night before heading up to London tomorrow.

* except the rather lovely, but large, framed picture of the interior of St. Magnus Cathedral given to D. as a thank-you present for playing at the wedding. Heaven knows how we're going to get it home - what were they thinking? [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

*ell, * 'm having a more pleasant day today. * *alked to *aitrose in a cheery mood and there, *hilst enjoying the front cover of Private Eye, my eyes caught a glimpse of the local ne*spaper. On the front page *as my husband's latest invention, *ith *eb link to a video and a full page discussion inside [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Safely back home - decent flight although a bit alarmed when asked to let them look in our baggage to see if our customs declaration honest.

Don't really see the reasoning - the lady just looked in the case and accepted that our four jars of Tiptree jam were for personal use.

She queried a price-tag on a jumper but believed that we'd forgotten about it, as it had been v. hot and sunny over there ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back, piglet! Hope you enjoyed the good weather - and of course the catching up. l expect there was quite a buzz of anticipation in Orkney, pre-The Vote?

Had my first ever acupressure session yesterday, which was an interesting experience, and came away feeling altogether better than l'd done in a while.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Thanks, Ariel!

I didn't really notice that much "buzz" in Orkney, apart from a few posters from one side or the other. There were noticeably more saying Yes, which was strange, considering that Orkney's result was No 67 - Yes 33. It seems to me that it was a victory for the "silent majority": although the Yes campaigners seemed much more vociferous, those who were saying nothing were voting No.

I must confess to being relieved - I didn't want the United Kingdom to become the Untied Kingdom.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Admittedly we were there in June, but apart from a couple of people keenly handing out Yes leaflets to reluctant shoppers one morning, you'd hardly have known. I think we saw two Union Flags and two saltires while we were there - one of each on the Royal British Legions at Kirkwall and Stromness. Pretty much every other flag we saw was the Orcadian one, bar a house near Hall of Clestrain (I think) which had a huge flagpole in the garden flying a whacking great Jolly Roger!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just butting in here to say that I think raising the Pirate flag was brilliant.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I would love to visit Orkney, I must put Orkney and Shetland on my list of things to do. Perhaps I can add them on to the railway tour of Scotland we'll do one summer.
Slow lazy day today, late church followed by lunch in the Rainbow Cafe (veggie), baking peanut butter cookies and then watching Doctor Who. I'm just having a Mojito now [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
... Perhaps I can add them on to the railway tour of Scotland ...

You can take a train as far as Wick or Thurso, and from there your best bet is to hire a car and take one of the ferries; the Pentland Ferries one goes from Gill's Bay (about 10 miles from Wick) and only takes an hour. Although Orkney isn't very big, it's much easier to get around if you have your own wheels.

In other news, it's nice to be back in the choir stalls again: we had the annual Battle of Britain commemoration this morning (Stanford morning canticles, My soul, there is a country by Parry and much Decanal Grinning™), and a v. nice Evensong (Weelkes' Short Service and O quam gloriosum by Victoria).

Back to old clothes and porridge* tomorrow.

* Not literally ... [Projectile]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On Saturday I went to an Iranian (Christian) wedding.

Forget everything the Western media tells you about Iran. The Iranians are serious party animals. I spent the evening learning how to dance like a magnificent sensuous Middle Eastern woman [Big Grin] (it’s actually not as hard as it looks, once you figure out the hip movement. And I reckon it must be amazing for your core muscles)

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it time for tea yet? I could just do with a big mug of Tea and a large slice of Cake...i have the mug and the tea, but alas, no cake.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Apologies but I finished the homemade peanut butter cookies this morning so no cake to offer. But today I have made ginger beer, lemon marmalade and soft cheese, so you're welcome to share any of those.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Is it time for tea yet? I could just do with a big mug of Tea and a large slice of Cake...i have the mug and the tea, but alas, no cake.

I have a raisin CAKE in the deep-freeze; I'm sure that by the time you read this it could be defrosted. [Smile]

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*Choccie wonders if cakes would post well*
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've posted cake before, perhaps we can have a thread swap?

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just found out - w*rk contract extended to Christmas and probably* beyond.

Happy piglet. [Yipee]

* fingers crossed

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Great news [Smile]
Would you like some Victoria Sandwich to celebrate?

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done piglet!!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news Piglet.
We've only been back at school three and a half weeks and I'm knackered!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats piglet! They must like you! [Biased]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Yaaaaaaaay!!!

This morning I lost my phone (I had it in a bum bag thing while I was running along, and it dropped out) [Waterworks] . Cue much woe and gnashing of teeth over losing all my numbers and having to pay for a new one.

A couple of hours later, fiancé en rouge has done some magic localisation thing on it (technical term), phoned the number and found that it’s been picked up by a nice person who he’s going to get it back from tonight.

Hurray! I have my phone back! There are still honest people in the world!! [Yipee]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice one, LVER!

Can I share a little incident from my time working in the church office?

(phone rings)
Me: St. Wombat's Church office, how can I help?
Female voice: Well, obviously, we got married in your church last year, and now, obviously, we want to have our little boy baptised there.
Me, thinking 'at least I know what to say here': Well, if you'd like to have your son christened here you will have to come along to some services and talk to the vicar.
FV: Oh. When are the services then?
Me: 10 and 6.30, 10 o'clock is more family-friendly and won't go on for much more than an hour.
FV: Oh. Which day is that then?

Mercifully I wasn't quick enough to say 'Sunday, obviously'.

[Killing me]

Mrs. S, not sure whether to [Killing me] or [Waterworks]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Killing me]

Sometimes people ask the daftest questions. A lady in the Cathedral was giving a tour and when she pointed out the Lady Chapel someone asked "you mean the women all have to sit in here while the men are in the main part of the building?" [Roll Eyes]

Another one we get quite often is "is it still used for services?", as it's Historic (by the standards of this side of the Pond). The questioners are usually quite non-plussed when we say, "oh yes, 23 every week".

Thank you all for the good wishes (and virtual CAKE). [Big Grin]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently the most frequently asked questions of the guides at a Edinburgh Castle is: 'What time is the one o'clock gun?'
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Mrs. S, piglet and Firenze - you made my morning! [Killing me]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

[Killing me]

Boring day here, just lots of tidying up though I might see whether my new course is online yet to distract me (I'm doing a Masters in Ed for the next 3 years).
I have homemade ginger beer to drink and I might make a jammy cake (like a drizzle cake but you pour thin runny jam that hasn't set properly over it, worked well last time my husband made marmalade).

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Fairly quiet day here too, but I'm going out for lunch in about half an hour with the mob from the lab to celebrate one of the students getting the Dean's Fellowship Award, which should be jolly.

The place we're going to does a nice line in sandwich/salad combos and a very excellent spinach and strawberry salad.

[Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016