homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 38)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seem to have had quite a busy day today, although I haven't done that which I set out to do at the start of it....

A friend of mine told me yesterday that you can keep Gin in the freezer (and, in fact, she does!). Who knew? And (all you Gin-mates) what does doing this add to a gin-and-tonic?

No cake - sorry. Although I might be able to find a rice-cake from somewhere...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Everild, I cannot tell you what keeping gin in the freezer adds to the gin and tonic, being allergic to the alcohol and all, but all gin drinkers of my acquaintance keep their bottles of gin in their freezers. Or mine if they happen to be visiting me.

I don't seem to have come up for air since term began, what with one thing and another, but I have declared the coming weekend a lazy one, apart from organ playing duties, and a Patronal Festival. The coming weeks are likely to be no less busy as our interregnum comes to an end in the next few days.

Though, what possessed me to agree to a Saturday morning 8.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m. slot for the replacement gas meter is quite, quite beyond me.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We don't keep the gin in the freezer, but do keep - when we have it - a decent vodka, or eau de vie (such as Himbeergeist). Ideally, you should keep the shot glasses there as well, and drink it so cold, the glass fuses to your fingers.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Dutch students I knew at university introduced us to the idea of freezing gin or keeping it as cold as possible. It tastes quite different if you do that - much nicer than when served at room temperature. We drank it neat from shot glasses.

It was about the only time I found the stuff palatable (gin is not my drink of choice), and as the chill wore off and the usual flavour made itself increasingly known, I felt less inclined to drink it.

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! I shall make space in the freezer for a bottle of Gin.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It would never have occurred to me to keep the GIN in the freezer: apart from anything else, our freezer:fridge ratio is about 1:2½ and the freezer part always seems to be so chock-full there wouldn't be space for it. As we both like our GIN fairly well-diluted with tonic and a goodly chunk of ice, perhaps it wouldn't matter anyway.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
We don't keep the gin in the freezer, but do keep - when we have it - a decent vodka, or eau de vie (such as Himbeergeist). Ideally, you should keep the shot glasses there as well, and drink it so cold, the glass fuses to your fingers.

I've not come across keeping gin in the freezer, but if I feel a shot of vodka coming on in the next couple of hours I get that into the freezer pronto. Although vodka shots are usually more spontaneous than that.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Ideally, you should keep the shot glasses there as well, and drink it so cold, the glass fuses to your fingers.

Yes, we tried that and I recommend it.

One of the Dutch students told us the frozen gin was how Dutch sailors used to drink it when they were stuck on board a ship on cold winter nights without any women for company...

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doesn't the bottle freeze and explode in the freezer? I well remember a church weekend away when, on arrival, Mr Nen put some bottles of beer in the ice making compartment of the fridge and we forgot about them (can't think how, most unlike us, must have been the spiritual content of the weekend... [Biased] ) and we had to spend the morning of the day we were leaving scraping up frozen beer and broken bottle. [Roll Eyes]

I dislike the perfumed taste of gin, but drink it with orange juice and lots of ice, which helps it down wonderfully. [Smile] I can't take vodka - massive next-morning headache...

In other news, Mr Nen and I are off this afternoon staying overnight with some people down on the south coast so that Mr Nen can speak at their Harvest Supper and Sunday morning service. I haven't heard him speak at anything for ages (busy lives, and not being at the same place at the same time... ) so quite looking forward to it. [Smile]

Nen - wondering if gin is served at church harvest suppers...

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Depends on the alcohol (which has a freezing point of -114 C) content vs the water (0 C). Vodka etc is typically 40% BV so at most will go a bit gelid. Beer, otoh, as you've noticed, will reward you with brown froth and broken glass. As will wine - hence the habit in our house, if we are emergency-cooling a bottle of fizz, to announce every 5 minutes or so 'Wine in freezer!' so as not to forget.
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, indeed - I enjoyed a nice crunchy bottle of Lambrini recently. The contents of the bottle I mean - I am not into chewing glass... [Biased]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course you keep gin in the freezer. No need for ice cubes so no dilution.

In this house we use Tan****ay which is 47.3% (82 proof) so chills beautifully.

Keeping it in the freezer means all you have to do is swirl the glass with Angostura (kept in the 'fridge) then add the gin and - voila!

We do keep tonic for visitors - one son also adds a slice of lime (also kept in the freezer).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oude Geneve, Dutch "Old Gin" poured from freezer into glasses also from freezer was a standby of mine for many years - it was great stuff.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, this was Dutch gin - jenever I think.

Nice start to the morning yesterday on coming through the ticket barriers at the station: the sight of tables laden with delicious cakes and staffed by beaming ladies, in aid of MacMillan Coffee Morning. There's nothing like a nice slice of ginger cake to brighten up the journey to work.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MMMMM! Ginger cake!

Had a super week and a half away - this really is a fascinating place to live, so much to see within a few hours travel. It was a bit of a dry run for when we have an ex-colleague and her hubby over from UK in November so we did some "research" - researching eating places is always fun!

However I am now shattered so I think off to bed before 9 p.m. - the joys of retirement!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

It has never occurred to me to keep Angostura in the fridge...
how Very Interesting...I shall have to make space for it.

We have resorted to putting a bottle of wine into the freezer, in an emergency situation. But we also set a timer to remind us to take it out again!

I have been to a funeral, and as a result I have eaten a lot of Afro-Carribbean food. Yum!!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... researching eating places is always fun!

Preach it, brother - welcome back! [Smile]

D., in his infinite generosity, has seen fit to share his aeroplane flu with me, and I'm at the sneezing/dozen paper-hankies an hour stage. Hope this doesn't mean that tomorrow I'll be at the feeling-like-death-warmed-up stage ... [Eek!]

In between snoozes, Domestic Goddess Piglet has been in action today: I made pancetta pasta for lunch, a batch of French sticks in the afternoon* and in the evening a beef casserole for tomorrow's lunch, which is merrily bubbling on the stove, and will be re-heated tomorrow and herbaceous dumplings added.

* I'm not sure that making bread counts as Domestic Goddessishness as the machine does all the hard work and all I have to do is the therapeutic bit.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

You really are motivated. I don't think I've actually cooked anything for months - microwave stuff, sandwiches or things on toast mostly. It all seems like too much hassle when I get in from work, and then there's the washing up as well.
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like cooking - but then I don't have to rush in from work first. (mind you,have done my share of that!)

Yesterday had roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast squash, broccoli and stuffing - so today its cold chicken and tomorrow probably curry. Mr.N bought rather a large chicken, so I cut the legs off and put them in the freezer for next week. Probably a casserole, or a put-it-all-in-the-oven-in-one-tin sort of effort.

The rest of the week tends to be easy things, one-pot efforts etc.

And, I have to say, I am extremely lucky - Mr.N does the washing up!! Only since we have been retired, though. I used to be slaving away doing it all before, so I reckon I deserve it!!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't often post here but thought I'd just check in to say that I'm sitting in the garden on a perfect autumn afternoon with a cup of tea and a piece of lemon drizzle cake. I've done some tidying up and mowed the lawns, so feel quite justified.

And it's nice.

And as everyone's talking about food, this evening, we're having cold lamb (had the roast last night instead of today), with mash (of course), the last of the courgettes and roasted beetroots.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

A couple of FB friends were discussing this cooking-for-one dilemma. Decided what was needed was a food bank with deposits/withdrawals - so you could bank your 4 servings of pasta bake and then cash them in at well-spaced intervals. Either that or an arrangement with another single person whereby, halfway through the week, you swopped leftovers...
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You set that up -leftover swap - and I'll join!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm lucky enough to work flexibly part time from home so can cook whenever I want and luckily I love cooking and like to make unusual dishes. I do like my other half cooking at weekends though.
Saying that, my other half is busy tidying out his workshop so I reckon I had better put the roast pork on now as he won't get round to it.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
You set that up -leftover swap - and I'll join!

Actually there is some kind of arrangement in some European cities for that kind of thing. I think it started in Italy when a housewife found she habitually cooked too much lasagne or something and needed people to take it off her hands. Thanks to the internet, she placed it with a single-parent family down the street who were finding it hard to make ends meet. She didn't ask money for it; the idea caught on and people who had a surplus of food could distribute it to people who could use it.

She was aware that this could be open to abuse and there were risks in accepting a gift of a cooked meal from someone you didn't know, but it seemed to work well in her area.

FWIW I had a very nice Sunday roast lunch in the small, sunny back garden of a country pub today. It was a good day for it; there won't be many more opportunities this year to have meals outside in the open air.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was a glorious day here today: brilliant sunshine and about 14°. Not alfresco-eating weather (we've probably had the last of that for this year), but that doesn't bother us - D. hates eating outdoors, and I can take it or leave it.

D. does most of the cooking chez Piglet during the week: I work in the mornings, and he's more-or-less a free agent so he makes lunch, and I'll clear up and load the washing-up machine. I quite often cook at the weekend, and bread-making is done by whichever one of us happens to be around when we decide we need another batch of loaves.

Left-overs get frozen and a few weeks later we have a "guess the contents of the bowl" situation* ... [Hot and Hormonal]

* You don't think I'm organised enough to label the bowls, do you? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gypsy is 19 weeks old tomorrow and our Puppy Walking Supervisor is coming this morning for her second assessment and to supervise her first free run.

I am quite nervous!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck!

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Firenze
quote:
A couple of FB friends were discussing this cooking-for-one dilemma. Decided what was needed was a food bank with deposits/withdrawals - so you could bank your 4 servings of pasta bake and then cash them in at well-spaced intervals. Either that or an arrangement with another single person whereby, halfway through the week, you swopped leftovers...
I've solved the cooking-for-one dilemma of too much of a good thing by doing two things:

1. If I have pasta al forno I use separate dishes so I can take out a single portion at a time. The only downside the extra storage space required for all the small dishes, many of which I bought at closing down sales and charity shops.

2. I don't freeze a whole dish, only the constituent parts: so separate fish or meat base so that a fish or cottage pie can quickly be put together with the addition of the top layer.

I must confess I find the idea of a 'Leftovers Bank' quite revolting!

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... a fish or cottage pie can quickly be put together with the addition of the top layer ...

D. tried that by making a batch of the meat constituent of shepherd's pies and freezing it in single-pie-size bags, which take up less space than a whole pie in a dish.

Once he'd got over the identification hurdle (see previous post) it was fine ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Drug Companies are Liars!

Of course we all know this but when the bottle says "...in a pleasantly flavoured syrup base" what do you expect?

What you get is one of a million variations on YUK!

Okay, I've had worse but that really ain't much compensation.

Went to see a Dr today, one I'd never seen before and I was in there ages as he did a full medical history for a minor chest infection - even back to me being an outpatient at Great Ormond Street about 60 years ago! And including my dodgy knees from doing lots of high impact aerobics back in the days [late 1980s] when I was fit - comments not necessary.

Anyway I have a raft of tablets [and some vile cough mixture] and have to go back next Monday.

As is common with these medication things they are knocking me out and I am sleeping loads, which is fine by me as I rather like sleep - possibly not as much as a Canadian guy I know who goes about in a wheelchair but I am naming no names - full of discretion, that's what I am.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And full of medication things! [Big Grin] Get better soon, WW!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My bank here, bless their little cotton socks, send me my current balance by SMS every Tuesday morning and it seems to think I have more money in my account than I think I have - to the tune of roughly GBP 100! Happily I have no need at present to spend this money, although some big expenses loom large in a little while. If they are still of the same mind next Tuesday when they SMS the current balance I may be tempted...

Taking my chest infection back to bed, it's a wonderful excuse to indulge in a favourite book and doze and read and doze and read ad infinitum.

It's called giving my body lots of time to heal.

Beulah, peel me a grape!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Isn't it usually the case with cough-mixture that the worse it tastes, the better it's likely to work? There's a brand over here whose advertising tag-line is "Buckley's - it tastes awful, and it works". [Big Grin]

I'm heading bedwards too, possibly with a night-time cold remedy tablet; at 8:30 this morning I wished I'd been as wide awake as I was at 4:30 and 5:30. [Snore]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gypsy LOVED every minute of her free run! I have never seen her look so overjoyed.

I can't wait for lots more doogy walks with her. But today and tomorrow she has gone on holiday to another puppy walker as I am going to w*rk [Roll Eyes]

A couple of days at my old school while teachers are on a course. I'm actually, secretly, quite looking forward to it.

Work OH and I get is 'holiday' money, so each day of work improves the type of holiday we go on [Smile]

I don't intend to average more than a day a week mind you!! OH works some evenings - he doesn't believe in getting up in the morning before 10am, it's against his religion.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I miss the Good Old Days of the Liquafruta Medica Extra Strong with Garlic [can't guarantee spelling] that used to me my staple cough medicine in the 1970s - kept the vampires away, too!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I am currently suffering from my husband's cold; in due course, airborne infection being what it is, I will probably get to experience it as well. I'm not sure that won't be preferable, then at least I can do something about it.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

re cough mixtures:

Anyone else remember Pulmo Bailly?

Had an aroma like paint stripper, the taste defied description [Projectile]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I sympathise fully with the foul tasting medicine, I've just started on Metronidazole for a dental abscess and it is disgusting!
Attempting to be virtuous here and getting into the habit of doing my work first thing and on a daily basis (I can work as flexibly as I want and I only work 15 hours a week). So today I've done some OU work despite my students not starting until the weekend and my contract/pay not restarting until tomorrow [Angel]
Off to do some housework now and then I want to look through my own studies as I think my Masters starts this weekend. Other half is away in France on business so a nice quiet time to study.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I was officially recognised as a Part of Living History [Eek!]

My old schoolfriend V and I went to see the Constable exhibition at the V&A, as she's an art buff. Not my scene really, so I dragged her off to look at the fashion exhibit, particlarly the 60's bit. We were talking about what we used to wear back in the day (a lot of orange, I seem to remember!) and a young girl came up and said 'I'm sorry to interrupt, but I couldn't help hearing you talking about what YOU used to wear - I'm doing a college project and need to know what men were wearing at that time. Can you help?' [Ultra confused]

I now feel positively antediluvian, though I have known for ages that the best bits of museums are the things you remember from your childhood, or worse, still have at home [Hot and Hormonal]

Mrs. S, human dinosaur

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, indeed - in The Castle Museum in York the 1950s room is the room I grew up in - terrifying to see it there!

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

There is a fascinating museum in Craven Arms - the museum is called The Land of Lost Content - which is crammed full of the stuff that most of us chucked out. It made me feel very old to see things in there which I remembered having, and using, back in the day. And one of the room sets was one I could quite happily olive in, even now....

So says StE, before staggering off to make yet another lovely cup of tea.

(Oh, did anyone watch "Marvellous" on the TV last week? I loved it!)
And I have met Neil Baldwin!)

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I used to adore Gee's Linctus - quite addictive! Do they make it any more??
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I remember feeling prehistoric when a chorister in Belfast said that Bohemian Rhapsody was one of the "set works" for GCSE music.

I remember it being in the charts - I felt so ancient I may as well have had posters of Bach on my bedroom walls ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can if you want to, Piglet. My mother-in-law's pin-up is David Hume and I can assure you, she is not THAT old...
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yes, indeed - in The Castle Museum in York the 1950s room is the room I grew up in - terrifying to see it there!

That was my childhood room! I don't remember you though.

I felt quite upset in that museum. Too many of the room sets were rooms and artefacts that looked like home to me.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I hid in the coal scuttle!

If I ever take Himself back to Britain again I must take him there and show him that museum and that room - but you really need a nice pea-souper fog to make it feel right.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In re the 'leftovers bank', when Master S moved out I managed to scale back to cooking for three. When Miss S followed, I signally failed to reduce any further and we used to end up with thousands of old ice-cream containers each containing 'curry for one' or 'boeuf bourguignonne for one'. That proved useful for Miss S, who would come home for the weekend and go back to London with her car boot full of ready meals for one.

Until the dreadful day when what she cooked for herself turned out to be a marinade, full of bits of rosemary and the like [Projectile]

Now I LABEL everything and we make a concerted effort to keep things moving through on a proper stock-rotation basis, though come to think of it now she's back in education 4 days a week maybe SiL would like some ready-meals? [Killing me]

Mrs. S, wondering why you can only make deposits at bottle banks [Confused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
I hid in the coal scuttle ...

When I was a very small piglet, my grandmother used to act as a companion to an elderly lady and occasionally took me to her house. There was a big, black coal-scuttle that stood in the corner of the first bend in the staircase, and it absolutely scared the bejaysus out of me.

Looking back, considering that at the time I had undiagnosed cataracts and was almost blind, it probably looked to me like a big black hole ... [Eek!]

**shudder**

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Fagans museum near Cardiff is fascinating - amongst other things, they have a row of cottages furnished from different periods in their history, so one end of the row is furnished as it would have been when it wsa first built, the cottage at the other end of the row is furnished as it would have been in the 60s. I grew up with so many of the things in that house!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by St Everild

the museum is called The Land of Lost Content

I love that poem and Housman generally. Although I think that the land of lost content is always tantalisingly out of reach, rather than something one can recapture from a museum. Still, that museum is certainly in the right county.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016