homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Yes, indeed - in The Castle Museum in York the 1950s room is the room I grew up in - terrifying to see it there!

That was my childhood room! I don't remember you though.

I felt quite upset in that museum. Too many of the room sets were rooms and artefacts that looked like home to me.

I agree. That museum made me feel so old!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On a different theme altogether: my wife and I played hookey and went on a lovely cruise from Clacton on the old paddle-steamer "Waverley". All right, the Essex scenery is not quite up to the standards of the Clyde, but the ship is a historic museum-piece, the weather was gorgeous, the sea flat calm; and it all brought back memories of childhood holidays for my Scottish wife!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Museum of Welsh Life! A.E.Housman! You guys really are my tribe!

I've just been re-listening (for the umpteenth time and then some) to a most wonderful BBC Afternoon Play, which is some of the Shropshire Lad cycle read by Simon Russell Beale, with the most atmospheric background music. Mr. S recorded it off the interweb for me and it is a real blessing to me.

Mrs. S, reciting 'On Wenlock Edge' to herself [Angel]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well as teenagers you know your parents come out of the Ark. That does not explain while my Mum and Uncle kept recognising 16th and 17th century farm implements from their childhood when we visited the Old Hall at Tatton Park. They were even able to use flails to thresh wheat. We went around the whole tour, which in those days did not come up to date, hearing them say to each other "do you remember...".

Jengie

[ 30. September 2014, 21:09: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
re cough mixtures:

Anyone else remember Pulmo Bailly?

Had an aroma like paint stripper, the taste defied description [Projectile]

It was very economical; after one dose, for the rest of the winter you only had to get the bottle out of the cabinet for your cough to shrivel back with a whimper. My father was the only person known to need more than one dose - until my mother caught him tipping it into the rubber plant.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
re cough mixtures:

Anyone else remember Pulmo Bailly?

Had an aroma like paint stripper, the taste defied description [Projectile]

It was very economical; after one dose, for the rest of the winter you only had to get the bottle out of the cabinet for your cough to shrivel back with a whimper. My father was the only person known to need more than one dose - until my mother caught him tipping it into the rubber plant.
When I was at school there was a maths teacher who would send us to sit in sun if we had a cold. For her lesson only. She used to encourage us to take Woods Great Peppermint cure. It came with labels of two colours. One was advised by her. It tasted nastier, therefore was likely to work better than the other labelled bottle.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can still buy Pulmo Bailly. I have a friend who takes it at every opportunity and recommends it to anyone with a bit of a cough. [Projectile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I actually like the taste of Covonia, Darllenwr thinks it's vile. It works on my coughs though!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
On a different theme altogether: my wife and I played hookey and went on a lovely cruise from Clacton on the old paddle-steamer "Waverley". All right, the Essex scenery is not quite up to the standards of the Clyde, but the ship is a historic museum-piece, the weather was gorgeous, the sea flat calm; and it all brought back memories of childhood holidays for my Scottish wife!

I love the Waverley [Yipee]
Having failed to get myself organised enough to go on a trip along the south coast, last year I took a trip from Cumbrae, so in her home waters. The sea was as calm as a mirror and the trip was wonderful - we were greeted at each island by pipers.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish I read more accurately!

I read that as "My wife and I played hockey on a lovely old paddle steamer" and immediately wondered how they kept the ball from going over the side!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite some years ago, we were on a motoring holiday around Scotland. While on the Isle of Arran, on an isolated stretch of road south of Blackwaterfoot skirting the coast, the Waverley hove into view offshore. With but a couple of farm buildings in the distance across the fields, and ours the only vehicle in sight, it was a view from another era, which has stuck in my memory ever since.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a Visitation this morning and am still trying to get my head round it. [Eek!] An old friend turned up on the doorstep... it didn't help that I didn't recognise her immediately, and I felt embarrassed about that at frequent intervals during our conversation, and frequently since it as well... [Hot and Hormonal]

I asked her how things were going, and she was off. [Eek!] Great details of how God was moving in her life, and that of her family, healings, leading people to The Lord, including a throwaway disparaging comment about the church in the next parish - "Really liberal, you know, anything goes, pro-gay" - conservative evangelical language that I haven't been round in a long time, although my church is basically con evo.

And the thing is she was - is - a very dear friend and five years ago I might have been using that language too and it brought home to me how very much I've changed... and can't go back to what I was... and wouldn't want to... though admitting I don't see "God move in my life" the way she seems to... Not that she gave me the opportunity to say much - she went without asking anything about me...

I don't know why I typed all that really, I'm sure you don't want to know... I just don't know whether to [Killing me] [Waterworks] [Roll Eyes] or [brick wall]

Nen - thoroughly out of sorts just now. [Confused]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nenya, my mother used to say that sometimes, it helps to groan, and I would add that it also helps, now and again, to have a rant!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bit difficult to tell from the photo whether you could play hockey on the Waverley, it looks like there may be a lower enclosed level that could be used. There are certainly some boats you could safely play on without losing a ball overboard. For example a vaporetto.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This chest infection has made me look quite tired - well, I have been tired but have looked worse. Anyway, Herself looked at me yesterday, said how tired my eyes looked and suggested I stop reading for a few days.

I was gobsmacked!

How does one stop reading?

How do I stop reading?

Reading is what I do. If I am not reading a book I am reading on the computer or even reading the sauce bottle on the table!

Time enough to stop reading when I pop my clogs or turn up my toes.

Perhaps I should watch more opera.

[ 03. October 2014, 03:03: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... or even reading the sauce bottle on the table ...

And I thought D. was the only one who did that. [Big Grin]

Actually, he gets round it these days because we do crosswords while we're eating ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've read the ingredients in HP sauce and also in Marmite.

I keep both of them about the house!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Ultra confused] You'd be as well suggesting I stop breathing as stop reading.

Another cereal packet/sauce bottle reader here!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Reading as the gravy congeals on the plates' - I forget who wrote that, but it's so true! The phrase in our house is 'it's got print on it, so I read it' [Biased]

Poor Wodders, that's a wholly unreasonable suggestion to make [Roll Eyes]

Mrs. S, cruciverbalist extraordinaire

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds very disconcerting Nenya - I hope you have recovered!

Don't give her another thought, she clearly didn't give you any!

We had a joyful walk in the woods yesterday (Gypsy and I) it's wonderful to see her discovering the world outside shopping centres and buildings for the first time!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm another one that can't stop reading. I read advertising posters while abroad even though I have only the haziest ideas of what they sre saying. My husband and son always wonder how I know so much about sport, it's just from catching the headlines on the backs of other people's newspapers.
Boogie, I went on your blog, the pictures of Gypsy gamboling in the woods are great. Does this mean you are getting twice as much exercise if you have to take her out, then go back and take out Tazte separately?

[ 03. October 2014, 07:30: Message edited by: Gussie ]

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After they'd put drops in at an eye examination at the hospital a few years ago, I went home unable to focus properly and to see in bright light. It was only temporary, but it lasted for hours and during that time I was unable to read at all. The only thing I could do was to listen to the radio (television was too bright and I couldn't focus on it anyway). I suppose audio books would have been a good alternative but I hadn't thought of that at the time.

[ 03. October 2014, 07:40: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nenya - I go a church like that and I do wonder why, except the people there - or the ones in my home group - are really lovely friends, and don't actually go around saying things like that. The leaders do, though and you can get some disturbing sermons if you go to church on a Sunday, which I don't for that very reason.

I mostly keep my thoughts to myself, enjoy the friendship and try to avoid stirring things up! [Two face]

But it must have been most awkward for you. Perhaps she saw you as a lost sheep? [Big Grin]

And another reader here - even to the very small print of ingredients on bottles. But generally its the paper (Guardian, natch!) or a magazine of which our house overflows. Library books never stay open on the table, and e-readers get messy every time you swipe the page over!

Long may print last!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once worked in a hospital where the new and enthusiastic young clerk kept demanding of everyone 'Have you been washed in the blood of the lamb?'! The manager eventually asked me (con-evo at the time) to gently take him aside and have a few words about freaking people out with his language.

I love reading, as a child I read the telephone directory if I was bored and couldn't find anything to read.

More busy today, one lot of students start tomorrow and I need to sort out my forums and send some welcome emails. Then I need to continue the declutter of the sewing room floor so I can kickstart my quilting.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some years ago a friend's (unchurched) stepson got some casual work at an RC cathedral.

One of the senior stopped to chat on day and asked 'Are you a catholic?' to which the young man replied 'I'm sorry father, no, I'm a Christian' [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel
I suppose audio books would have been a good alternative but I hadn't thought of that at the time.

My mother, who had been a great reader, was blind for the last fifteen years of her life. She used to get audio books, but there was one major drawback; it is very difficult to skip parts you don't like. She and I both enjoyed mysteries, and I enthusiastically recommended Dick Francis to her. Most of his stories contain at least one violent scene. I always skip over these. When you are reading, it's easy to find the end of the part you don't want to read; when you're listening it's very difficult. She gave up on Dick Francis.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The problem I found with audiobooks was that many of them were abridged, which when you're wanting to revisit old favourites, is unsatisfying. But maybe that's changed in recent years.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The biggest problem with audiobooks is that there are no captions. I found the same difficulty with wirelesses/radio.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
...demanding of everyone 'Have you been washed in the blood of the lamb?'! ...

Crikey - these days he'd get fired for that sort of thing. [Eek!]

Regarding reading everything, my late father-in-law would take ages walking round museums or cathedrals, as he'd stop to read every single plaque. When D's niece was very small, we were all going round Canterbury Cathedral, and every so often we'd hear the plaintive cry:

Come on, Grandpa ...Grandpa ... Grandpa ...

It has rather a good echo ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel
I suppose audio books would have been a good alternative but I hadn't thought of that at the time.

My mother, who had been a great reader, was blind for the last fifteen years of her life. She used to get audio books, but there was one major drawback; it is very difficult to skip parts you don't like. She and I both enjoyed mysteries, and I enthusiastically recommended Dick Francis to her. Most of his stories contain at least one violent scene. I always skip over these. When you are reading, it's easy to find the end of the part you don't want to read; when you're listening it's very difficult. She gave up on Dick Francis.

Moo

Conversely, if - like me - you are a fast reader, audio books don't let you skip the descriptive parts and head straight for the action [Big Grin] which is very good for me.

My problem is that I tend to fall asleep and wake up at exactly the same point every time, which makes life very difficult *sigh*

My favourite, though, was when I started what was supposed to be the first of a series. I was thinking 'gosh, not a lot of scene-setting/ background info here' [Confused] but I was picking up the storyline okay - then I realised I'd missed the first half of the book altogether! No wonder we were approaching the denouement rather faster than we should have been [Hot and Hormonal] It stopped me bothering with the rest of the series, though.

Mrs. S, filling in the gaps for herself

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've got the St. Francis Blessing the Animals service tomorrow, so a flurry of activity has resulted in Scots broth bubbling gently in the slow-cooker, to be fed to the cleaning-up volunteers afterwards.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister reported to me a conversation she had had with a lady in her local churchyard. They were talking about cremation versus burial.

Sister: " I would rather be cremated - takes up much less room."

Lady visitor: "Oh, so would I! I couldn't bear to be buried in a coffin, I suffer badly from claustrophobia."

It makes you wonder sometimes! [Eek!]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
We've got the St. Francis Blessing the Animals service tomorrow, so a flurry of activity

I don't usually have trouble reading accurately, but I did read that as "a furry of activity." [Biased]

Thanks to all who expressed sympathy following my visitation. [Eek!] Like Nicodemia, and others here too I think, my con evo church has some very lovely friends in it and I do go on Sunday and smile enigmatically at the bits I don't agree with. I'm wary of joining a home group though as I think it would be harder to keep my thoughts to myself in that context.

During the conversation I felt angry and upset by turns but was determined to show neither as I'm sure she'd have seen it as a touch from The Lord and either prayed over or exorcised me. Possibly both.

Nen - consummate actress. [Big Grin]

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I breathe, therefore I read.

I cannot imagine not being able to read...and I'll read anything. The back of the cereal packet, label on jars, wine bottles, books, mags. Ill even have a go at reading something in French, although I am not a longest and certainly can't speak the language.
Being given a Kindle was brilliant for me as I can have an entire library in my handbag, and has saved having to take a large bag full of books on holiday every year. Although I would not like to live in a house wiithout books....

WW, if you are looking tired, may I suggest an early night....with a book? (Or two?)

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We've got the St. Francis Blessing the Animals service tomorrow, so a flurry of activity has resulted in Scots broth bubbling gently in the slow-cooker, to be fed to the cleaning-up volunteers afterwards.

Blimey, Piglet, I hope the 'Scots broth' is not an indication of what happens to badly behaved animals at the service. [Eek!]

In other news, I've just come back from a Beer and Hymns at the local Anglican church. The music was, by their own admission, not the best, but a good time was had by all and the buffet, including dripping sandwiches and black pudding, was demolished at speed.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Piglet, I see your 'Blessing the Animals' service and I raise you 'All-Age Worship Harvest Festival, WITH adult baptism by total immersion'. [Ultra confused]

Mr. S did actually comment that if we had a few animals to be blessed we could pretty much cover every base in one service.

We aren't going.

Mrs.S, completely underwhelmed [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems that much of the world celebrated Bakr-Id yesterday but I am currently listening to the call for it today, here. It seems ironic that some communities are blessing animals today and yet others are sacrificing them - or is that a peculiarly vegetarian point of view?

...and yes, I do know that I am not fully veggie as I do eat a little fish occasionally.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

They've been marking the feast of St. Francis of Assisi at the Cathedral with an animal-blessing service for about 15 years, with proceeds going to the SPCA.

It was a grand affair, and by-and-large the animals were very well behaved. I suspect they were being watched over by the ghost of Riley, the Dean's late wee dog, who used to behave perfectly and look outraged at the noise being made by the other animals. They've recently acquired a new Wee Decanal Dog called Teddy, who acquitted himself very well and will, I think, be a proud follower in Riley's paw-prints.

There was amusement when the reader of the lesson (a new member of the congregation who's going to be ordained next week) finished up by saying, "I'll translate that for you: Woof! Miaow!"

A-in-E, you'll be glad to know that no dogs or cats* were harmed in the making of the soup (which must have been quite well-received, as there wasn't much left). [Big Grin]

* I can't vouch for the lambs who provided the bones for the stock ... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

So, after mass, I sallied forth with my trusty clunky camera, to take photos of the local babies - the twin girls [a few months old now] are at Masjid [mosque] with their mum and dad as it is Bakr-Id, the new baby 50 metres the other way is sound asleep and they'd rather not wake her quite yet and my newest Nephew is feeding so not appropriate at the moment.

I have come home and will do something else for the next few hours then try again.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't it Diwali soon too? Big celebrations due in Trafalgar Square next Saturday according to the posters.

I had plans (and tickets) for this weekend, but TfL decided to close the tube line for service work which either means a very long replacement bus or a very long alternative route, neither of which I fancy at 10pm. I suspect this one was sprung upon us following the problems this week which meant we* all got personal e-mails from TfL apologising for the delays on Wednesday. Because I do usually check for planned engineering work before booking tickets after we missed something we wanted to see a few years back being caught by that one.

* Well those of us with registered Oysters, which means anyone with a season ticket.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Diwali is, I think, 23rd October, so less than three weeks away.

Lovely Muslim neighbour, he used to be my maths student, has just brought us a big dish of biriyani, complete with raita, and another dish of fish fry. His mum is a great cook, we shall enjoy it soon.

YUM, YUM!

One of the reasons I so love living in a multicultural community is that we get to eat all sorts of things that we would never cook ourselves - it is fab!

[ 05. October 2014, 07:15: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG yum.

I have a big paycheck coming in a couple of weeks. I will spend it on biriyani.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...plus there was a jar of home-made Muslim style ginger pickle!

I am now going for a sleep.

[Big Grin] - [Snore]

ETA: The pickle is one of those subtle ones that you taste and think "Oh, that's nice and mild" then a few minutes later it hits with full and wonderful force!

[ 05. October 2014, 08:41: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We got back yesterday from a week's holiday in Northumberland, staying near Bamburgh. It was so beautiful, and we were incredibly lucky with the weather. One of the places we went to (where we could have spent both more time, and more money) was Barter Books in Alnwick. I think we did quite well to only come out with a few books for us (a couple of Asterix and a cook book for me, something on old trains for TME and 4 books for the Elf Lass). I'd definitely love to go back. Apropos of this thread's title, it is the place to blame for the Keep Calm and Carry On posters (and all the variations on the theme) that have appeared in the past few years - apparently they found an original poster in a box of books they had been given, so put it up, and as they got so many comments about it they produced copies of it the following year (this was early 2000s). Then it seemed to grow arms and legs and is the monster we know and love now!

Even though we are now back home only a couple of hours' drive up the road there is a noticeable chill in the air. I think autumn is finally here.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A-in-E, you'll be glad to know that no dogs or cats* were harmed in the making of the soup (which must have been quite well-received, as there wasn't much left). [Big Grin]

* I can't vouch for the lambs who provided the bones for the stock ... [Paranoid]

I'm relieved to hear it [Smile]

That sounds lovely Jack the Lass. I visited Bamburgh a couple of months ago for the first time (staying in Seahouses), it's a stunning place with the requisite tiny teashop.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't been to Bamburgh but really must, I loved our visit to Northumbria a few years ago when we stayed in a cottage near Wark. We mainly walked, visiting the Roman forts, but I do so want to visit the coast.

I've just spent the evening brewing ready for Christmas. I kegged up some Woodforde's Wherry as an everyday [Biased] beer and have just made some smaller amounts of Belgian beer; Brewferm's Christmas Beer, which is strong, and Kriek Beer. I'm tempted to buy a Framboos beer kit too as I loved it last year.
I've also made a gallon of ginger beer which will be semi-fermented so suitable for the children but that can be drunk straight away and will be gone in only a few weeks.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bamburgh is lovely - the beach, the castle -I fell off a horse galloping along Bamburgh Sands some years ago.

The weather here was still glorious yesterday, and we went for a walk in the autumn sunshine. I forget how lovely Surrey is. It's just that you can never quite get away from the sound of traffic.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Rain rain rain rain rain rain wind and rain here.

The dogs were not too keen to go out and spend a penny - full waterproofs needed for walkies!

We are going to Lindisfarne for a week in May, can't wait to take the poochies on the beach!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beach, Lindisfarne [Confused] - there isn't a lot of beach on Lindisfarne, is there, most of what's there is stony / pebbly / rocky? Nothing like Bamburgh.

Another lover of Lindisfarne and Bamburgh here

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

You don't need sand with two big Labradors CK [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016