homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 43)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
No doubt they'll still grow if I put them in next weekend instead.

I hope so - when I read the fertiliser box it said to wait a week before planting. So I got even more digging done.
One of the perks of digging is the bits of clay baccy pipe that I find: 2 pieces of stem today. Over the last 7 or 8 years I've collected quite a few including an almost-complete bowl. It turns out that about 300 years ago my ancestors are likely to have strolled on or near the site of the allotments on their way into town - I like to think that one of these fragments might have belonged to one of them, although I suspect they are more recent.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Monday after the autumn clock change is not a day to look forward to. It's going to be dark when I leave work tomorrow afternoon, and every weekday for about 4 months. Although I have only 6 miles to cycle, it always seems farther in the dark than it does in the light.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our clocks go back next weekend, and to be honest I rather look forward to it. Having grown up in Orkney I'm used to it getting dark early in winter and I just tell myself it'll even out in the summer. As I only work mornings, I don't go home in the dark anyway, although when I did, I really didn't mind.

We sang lots of nice Tudor music today (Byrd four-part mass and Prevent us, O Lord in the morning, and Morley responses, Ayleward Mag and Nunc and In pace by Blitheman in the evening). Recipe for a happy piglet. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoy this puppy walking lark!

I get up and think 'Where shall we go today Gypsy?'

I think we might do her first tram journey into town, then have a look round the new bus/tram station [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just had a tooth pulled [Frown] currently numb but I'm waiting for the pain to come. And it's making me all fidgety.
The boys are home for half term too. I might go into the bedroom and hide with a book.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
The Monday after the autumn clock change is not a day to look forward to. It's going to be dark when I leave work tomorrow afternoon, and every weekday for about 4 months. Although I have only 6 miles to cycle, it always seems farther in the dark than it does in the light.

My sense of direction packs up at sunset too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I've just had a tooth pulled [Frown] ...

Poor HA. Hope it doesn't give you too much gyp. I'm prone to "dry sockets" when I have tooth extractions, and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

**shudder**

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Consultation and prescription of drops and tablets for the week for my @#$%^&*! conjunctivitis came to nearly a quid and a half!

How much does a scrip cost in England these days?

Currently my eyes look like I've spent the last 24 hours smoking noxious substances.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still dark when I leave for work in the mornings so no change there, but at least we're back on GMT.

This is where the lack of daylight begins to make itself felt, though, with only lunch hours to see the world in full colour, and journeys in the dark in either direction. As much of mine is past fields, there's nothing but pitch blackness for a lot of it.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Consultation and prescription of drops and tablets for the week for my @#$%^&*! conjunctivitis came to nearly a quid and a half!

How much does a scrip cost in England these days?

Currently my eyes look like I've spent the last 24 hours smoking noxious substances.

The prescription charge is £8.05 per item in England, but you can get prepayment certificates or 'season tickets' for three months or a year. Over-60s are among the many exempt groups.

There are no prescription charges in Scotland or Wales.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And there's an arbitrary collection of illnesses that are exempt from charges - things like diabetes, but not asthma.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for all those with eye and teeth trouble! Hope you are not suffering too much, WW and HA!

Dark and murky here, but just had very pleasant morning drinking coffee with Home Group in the cafe of local posh (very posh) Furniture firm as it is my birthday next week. Came away with fistful of cards and an exotic orchid.

Unfotunately however, having made soup and olive bread ready for today, discovered that Mr. N did not like olive bread as he said it had funny taste! [Frown] Now I have large loaf of said bread in the freezer which will take ages and ages for me to eat myself and which is taking up a lot of room.

(It was a new recipe I was trying, and it did seem to have a lot of olive oil in it. It came out a very dark brownish grey with large holes in. Artisanal is, I think, the right term. I thought it was lovely, but there you are, I can't please everyone!)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

There are no prescription charges in Scotland or Wales. [/QB]

There are definitely advantages in living in Wales!(Especially when your family is a medical disaster area)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
About daisydaisy's tobacco pipes - I used to dig things like that up for a living! They're actually pretty easy to date - the bowls change over time in recognisable styles. The very early ones are so tiny they're called fairy pipes, because tobacco was so expensive. They gradually get bigger, and in the nineteenth century there are lots of decorated ones which can be quite pretty. My ex-husband used to smoke a cut down churchwarden pipe that he'd dug up himself. It had about half of the very long stem left.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pipe smoking, that takes me back. When I was growing up both my parents and two brothers smoked and my dad and brothers all had pipes as well as cigarettes. My eldest brother had one of those curly Sherlock Holmes-type ones.

I'm not enjoying the dark evenings either and November's just round the corner - my least favourite month of the year. In my opinion, the nicest thing I can say about November is that it means Christmas is on the way. I love Christmas. [Axe murder]

And it's Tuesday tomorrow. Tuesdays are my favourite day of the week. [Yipee]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

And it's Tuesday tomorrow. Tuesdays are my favourite day of the week. [Yipee]

Nen, you can have all my Tuesdays! I've never liked them, rating them a rather pointless, nothing sort of day. I suppose it goes back to my childhood when there was nothing worthwhile on TV on a Tuesday (certainly no sport) then when I was older there was never any live music in pubs, probably because it was by tradition, the landlord's night off. Pub managers being what they are they often went to another pub and were buoyed up to see them doing badly, little realising that every pub in the town was quiet.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Pipe smoking, that takes me back ...

Me too - I had a great-uncle who smoked a pipe and had a rack fitted in the bay-window of his sitting-room.

I smoked for over 20 years, and I always felt it was deeply unfair that they didn't put nice-smelling pipe-tobacco into cigarettes.

I can still almost smell the aroma in my mind's nose ... [Smile]

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My grandad smoked old soberonie(sp?), and on the rare occasions I smell it nowadays I expect to see him come shuffling along - he died over fifty years ago.
I have had a nasty cold this last week or so, and although I feel a lot better, still have a cough that's keeping me awake at silly o'clock. Grr

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Take a honey-and-lemon drink with a wee drop of whisky before you go to bed - that might help. Hope you feel better soon.

Pot of chicken-and-veggie soup bubbling on the stove - should be ready for virtual tasting when you read this. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Queueing for train tickets [going away for the weekend] yesterday the person behind me in the queue was a youngish nun - at first we contemplated saying the rosary to pass the time then decided that waiting in a railway queue is rather like what we can expect when we get to purgatory!

Why does the other queue always move quicker?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Socket less painful than yesterday and clot intact so all apparently healing well. I've just taken my painkillers so am feeling okay. On the upside, the painful mouth has distracted me from my painful leg!
I need to get a little OU work done and then see if I am able to concentrate enough for some study. I might stick a Lancashire hot pot in the slow cooker, I had one in the pub last week and it reminded me of my childhood [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad the tooth is mending well HA. Hope it and the leg get better soon.

I don't really like whisky, but I'm off to Edinburgh for a couple of days tomorrow and I guess I could have one or two medicinally then. My husband is rather worried as to what sort of short break he's going to have if I'm up coughing half the night!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Confirmation bias. You notice it when it the other queue is moving faster; you don't when your queue is moving faster.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

Confirmation bias. You notice it when it the other queue is moving faster; you don't when your queue is moving faster.
A bit like the last bus to arrive always being the one you want.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:

It's not as simple as that. Queueing theory clearly states that, if there are three or more lines, you are unlikely to be in the fastest.

I guess with two lines the probability is 50/50.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
A bit like the last bus to arrive always being the one you want.

Yes, which then stops at the end of a long line of buses to pick up passengers (causing you to miss it), or whizzes past because the driver can't be bother to stop.

[ 28. October 2014, 11:15: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Whenever I'm queuing at the checkout in the local chemist's (which also has a grocery section and sells lottery tickets) I seem to end up behind the dozy old bint who's buying 10 scratch cards, can't decide which sort she wants and then checks every one before moving on.

Of course, if one of the tickets is a winner, she has to get some more ...

[brick wall]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Darllenwr's dad used to reckon that he'd always chose the queue in the post office where he'd be behind someone wanting to send a bassoon to the Cayman Islands.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yesterday I got my visa extension and am now on the path towards getting the next step which will give me a right to remain, limited by good behaviour, for either 15 years or the rest of my lifetime! This involves a mad dash next week to the State Capital to tackle even more bureaucracy but will be so worth it!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The tram ride went really well with Gypsy, she was confident and well behaved.

I parked where I have always parked (one of those private ones which services lots of stores and there are plenty of spaces)

I have used it for over 20 years when going to the station as there are only 15 (!) station parking spaces. I didn't notice the new cameras ...

I got a parking ticket [Roll Eyes]

I won't be paying it!

[ 29. October 2014, 08:12: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Well done, WW, I hope the rest of the application goes smoothly [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks HA.

Trains now booked to and from State Capital in a reasonable level of comfort - we go Tuesday morning, early and come back Wednesday afternoon, home Wednesday evening. Also got good news from the Registration people about another piece of paperwork, that we now don't need.

[Yipee]

What we have will be sufficient as long as it is all correctly referenced in the documentation.

Tomorrow off to buy a ream or two of Stamp Paper to make sure everything is legal and above board. Actually two sheets should suffice.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone else here heading to the Christian New Media conference in London on Saturday?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Yesterday I got my visa extension ...

Congratulations! [Yipee]
quote:
... limited by good behaviour ...

[Killing me] [Killing me]
Do you need references? [Devil]

Good luck with the paperwork! [Smile]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I won't be paying it!

Let us know how you get on with that... [Biased]

Gypsy sounds like a complete star. [Axe murder]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
quote:
I won't be paying it!

Let us know how you get on with that... [Biased]

I will.

It was on private land - and I did go in a shop, just after Gypsy's training walk, not before. I have the receipt.

If they wanted to charge me for parking on their land, that's what they should have done. Charged me £2 or so for the hour. Not £80! Madness I say, complete madness.

I'm really up for a fight this week - so this firm have one! In spades - I'm looking forward to cute puppy pictures in the paper all upset about how they didn't even allow her a walk before giving me a ticket for 'leaving the premises'!

I am super impressed with Gypsy today - she was HARING towards a 3 (ish) year old child. I blew the whistle and she turned tail and hared back - phew phew phew! I was pretty scared she'd jump all over the poor wee boy!

We scattered Mum's ashes on Sunday. I call dementia the 'illness of 1000 goodbyes' and this was the final one. It has left me tearful and bolshie in equal measures!

[Tear] [Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I don't know the exact details but if you have parked in a supermarket or similar car park they often have time limits. It can be difficult to find the signs though.

Good luck!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Martins money saving website has a forum with lots of stuff about parking tickets from private companies, might be worth a look.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So yesterday morning at about 8.15 I'm in my PJs, cheerfully brushing my teeth and looking forward to a nice shower and breakfast (the joys of retirement [Yipee] )

Suddenly I get a little quiver of a memory - teeth? deferred dentist's appointment?? Downstairs, electric toothbrush still cleaning away, to discover that I am due in the Chair of Doom in half an hour precisely [Help] Luckily the dentist is only 10 minutes' drive away and Mr. S hadn't taken the car! I had to wait for my breakfast though...

Seriously, I normally remember things like that when it's Just Too Late, don't you?

Mrs. S, pleased to be let off with just X-rays this time [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

You went in you PJs?? [Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Martins money saving website has a forum with lots of stuff about parking tickets from private companies, might be worth a look.

Thanks Chocoholic - I will!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:

Like this?

[Killing me]

Talking of being a bit behind oneself, can anyone explain why today, the 30th of October, I'm starting to write the date as "2013"?

[Confused] Answers on a postcard please.

[ 30. October 2014, 13:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
30/10/13 is a more intuitive progression than 30/10/14.

You may also find yourself doing the same thing tomorrow, as 31/10/13 is almost, but not quite, palindromic.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That would have been logical had I not been writing 30th October 2013.

Sometimes these little brainfarts afflict me. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get used to that, dear. It doesn't get any better with age, you know.

Now, why did I come into the study?

[ 30. October 2014, 20:11: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I would have been very much more respectable in my PJs than many people who have been seen in public this summer [Ultra confused] but no, I managed all my morning routine - with the exception of breakfast - in the 20 minutes between remembering the appointment and leaving the house [Cool]

Mrs. S, still mopping her brow

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Get used to that, dear. It doesn't get any better with age, you know.

Thanks, Uncle P. - you're so kind. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I'm off to puppy class with Gypsy this morning to Brighouse - over the hills on the M62. It should take 30 minutes to get there.

At this time? Hmmmmm, we'll see!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Uncle Pete knows ALL about the perils of old age, he's been there such a long time!

Back on the dreaded notebook after a storm the other night knocked out both our PCs - and they weren't even plugged in! It was a great storm.

With the notebook and its rather different keyboard I have to watch my fingers all the time - it's a pain!

Ah well, it is only today at the moment as I am away tomorrow night living it up in Thrissur, never been there before so it should be fun.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I was 21 again [Big Grin] . So we went for a new (to me at least) experience – a six course meal in a Michelin starred restaurant. The six courses being – lobster salad, a sort of foie gras fritter thing, St Pierre with artichokes and warm tomato/olive tapenade, pigeon wrapped up in savoy cabbage with creamed celery, terrine of Roquefort cheese with apricots and walnuts, and a cream/meringue/chestnut dessert. This is not actually as much food as it sounds because it’s one of those extremely chic restaurants where they have very big plates with not much in them. Still, six courses makes a rather substantial dinner.

This was accompanied by some very nice Champagne for the aperitif, an excellent 2004 Bordeaux for the meat and cheese and some Armagnac as old as me (21, obviously) to assist the digestion at the end. This morning I have a headache [Hot and Hormonal] .

(He he I just got a text back from my very foodie Dad, with whom I shared this experience, saying “Covet not your neighbour’s dinner”)

In completely unrelated news, I had a very ahem, interesting experience last night when I left the office. We are about 50 metres away from the embassy of Burkina Faso which was surrounded by some rather enthusiastic protesters and frosty-looking riot police. Trying to get through the crowd was mildly alarming.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016