homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 45)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just thawing out after a very cold PCC meeting in one of our daughter churches. The heating wasn't, and we were all frozen. Thankfully, we managed to get through all the important stuff before our 9pm deadline - if our vicar had asked for an extention to finish the agenda, (our standing rules say that the chairman - ie the vicar - can request that the meeting can go on beyond 9pm)then tonight, he'd have been refused!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poor you!

Doesn't your Standing Committee organise things in such a way that PCC can be limited to a decent length? We generally start c7pm and are free before 8.30.

Sub-Committees and delegation are key; if that doesn't work then more meetings of shorter duration.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Anglican Cemetery Committee, for which I'm the recording secretary, tries to limit its meetings to 2 hours (7:30 - 9:30), but the last one dragged on because the vicar of the church where it was held (it rotates around the 8 churches in the group) rabbited on ...

... and on ...

... and on. [Snore]

He may be an archdeacon, but it doesn't stop him being a tube.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Doesn't your Standing Committee organise things in such a way that PCC can be limited to a decent length? We generally start c7pm and are free before 8.30.

No Baptist Deacons' Meeting can ever be less than 2 hours long. It's in our Ecclesiastical Statutes.

(Or so you might think).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just recovering from a fantastic celebratory weekend, when my sister and brother-in-law came up for weekend, and we went over to my daughter who put on a wonderful meal for us, plus my two grandsons, who are both really lovely good-looking young men now, and my great granddaughter, who is lovely, though a real bossy boots! Then on my actual birthday (Monday) we went out for a gorgeous lunch at a huge local garden centre. The waitresses, who had somehow got wind of the fact it was my birthday, served my two scoops of sorbet (lemon and mango, since you ask) with a little lighted candle in the top!

Now the house is covered with cards, and a big helium balloon, which all say "80"!

I am feeling rather old today. But happy. [Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:

Now the house is covered with cards, and a big helium balloon, which all say "80"!

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Happy Birthday to you!

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday! [Smile]

Spent the morning doing work admin, replying to emails and giving telephone tutorials. I've just got time to pop to Waitrose for the ingredients for my eldest's cooking lesson tomorrow and it'll be back to the telephone tutorials.

Later this afternoon we'll catch the bus into Cambridge and have pizza at my husband's work followed by fireworks on Midsummer's Common. Anyone else off to a display?

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy your special day, Nicodemia! May your year be blessed.

I saw a pretty good firework display from the window of my flat at the weekend. I didn't get to see what was on the ground, as that was obscured by trees, but the rockets were really good. Half an hour of that with all the comforts of home.

I'm thinking about making parkin or something similar - haven't had that in ages.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Poor you!

Sub-Committees and delegation are key; if that doesn't work then more meetings of shorter duration.

Appoint a rather well-to-do, old fashioned chairman who always dines at 8pm. Start meetings at 6:30 and you'll be finished by 7:45, I promise.

Nicodemia! A very happy birthday! Glad to hear it was such a joyful occasion.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many happy returns, Nicodemia! [Yipee]

You know 80 is the new 60, don't you? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy birthday from me too Nicodemia.

Having heard that it might get down to freezing tonight I've just dug up my tender standard fuchsia and put in a pot in the garage. Seems a shame as it's blooming beautifully.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Menny happy returns [Smile]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday Nicodemia, you don't look a day older [Smile]
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday, Nicodemia. SOunds liek a good way to celebrate it.

We've just stood in the garden with a sparkler each, having a small Fireworks celebration. WHen my son was younger he loevd the things, probably why he became a chemist.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy birthday Nicodemia!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today for the first time in years I saw two "guys" - remember the old cry of "penny for the guy"? Both neatly done, one dressed up as a cavalier, so lifelike that even close up it was still a bit hard to believe it wasn't real. Haven't seen those in decades - good to know the old traditions are still being kept up.

I suppose with inflation, it's probably now "A fiver for the guy". [Roll Eyes]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Sioni Sais
quote:
Appoint a rather well-to-do, old fashioned chairman who always dines at 8pm. Start meetings at 6:30 and you'll be finished by 7:45, I promise.
[Overused]

Failing that, look for someone with a military background and just tell them meetings can't last more than and hour and a half: you'll get it all done in the time.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many Happy Returns, Nicodemia [Smile]

No bonfire here, but I did just manage to set light to a tortilla in the oven. Does that count? I managed to get the fire out and open a window but tonight of all nights that lets the smell of smoke in , not out. [Disappointed]

At least my Mum's being baking parkin. Very nice, but it'll be better in a few days with some crumbly cheese.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry I'm a bit late, but it's still the 5th there - Happy Birthday Nicodemia!

We got back from our trip last night - a real lightning dash down the coast and back. The bureaucrats I met were all lovely and very helpful BUT the process still takes several weeks so I will have to go down again when it is all sorted - no problem really and the end product will be worth it eventually.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad to hear it went well, Wodders.

I rather miss Guy Fawkes' night fireworks - it's not a tradition here (although a friend was saying on FB that there had been a bonfire out in Conception Bay South, which is a few miles out of St. John's).

We had no choir practice tonight as D. was needed to play for a service at the theological college that would have been right in the middle of our rehearsal. This was not, however all bad: beforehand we went to investigate a new bar/restaurant called Granite and very nice it was too. We shared a huge antipasto platter (if we'd known how huge it was going to be we probably wouldn't have ordered main courses) and then he had fish and chips, and I had lamb sliders. Couldn't really fault anything - definitely somewhere we'll go back to.

It's not quite in the same league as Côte or Café Rouge back home, but better than the run-of-the-mill places here.

[ 06. November 2014, 03:10: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It does look nice. Compared to the British places you mention, the prices seem to be a bit higher, especially for the Appetizers.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
[...] At least my Mum's being baking parkin. Very nice, but it'll be better in a few days with some crumbly cheese.

Clearly, you're someone who doesn't mind a parkin fine. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They could do with a good proofreader. Quibbles apart, what's a screech drizzle?

(Apart from the kind of banshee who looms suddenly up out of the mist at you, of course.)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
They could do with a good proofreader. Quibbles apart, what's a screech drizzle?

A drizzle of this stuff? [Snigger]

BT, they're not too bad by local standards, and the platter we shared would have easily fed us on its own or with a shared salad. The lamb sliders comprised three little burgers (a bit less than half the size of a standard burger) plus garnishes, and I suspect that most of the "starters" would have sufficed as main courses, which is good value - $20 would be the cheap end for a main course in a moderately upmarket place.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'd have had the prawns. Or the scallops. I imagine the seafood must be really good - you probably get it very fresh.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Btw, speaking of Cafe Rouge, the last time I was there they asked me to fill in an online feedback form and by way of incentive I was emailed a voucher for a free chocolate and banana crepe. Can't be bad.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would probably have tried the braised BBQ pork.

Tonight I cooked venison haunches in a buttery red wine sauce and they were lovely [Smile] there are some positive aspects to having left the freezer door open yesterday...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm on the Cafe Rouge mailing list. Each year around my birthday they send me a voucher for a free bottle of prosecco or champagne if you spend £40. Easily done and worth it for the bubbly!

[ 06. November 2014, 21:56: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'd have had the prawns. Or the scallops. I imagine the seafood must be really good - you probably get it very fresh.

You'd be surprised. Haligonians (of the Nova Scotia variety) are subjected to the same generic mass market stuff as the rest of Canada. The only thing I could count on to be fresh were those abused lobsters in the fish tank.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I rarely think about whether a prawn has been frozen or not; I've had excellent ones and not-so excellent ones here.

There's a place in Petty Harbour about which I think I've waxed lyrical here before where I've seen them bring in the cod in buckets, straight from the boat. I assume that's why they're only open in the summer, when it's in season.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to foie gras land this weekend.

We are going to be meeting the Caterer™ [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

We had our church fireworks party tonight. The rain held off, and we had some fairly impressive fireworks. [Biased]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi! It's just me breaking in to thank you for lending two of your own to us on this side of the Pond! [Smile]

Gill H, Hugal and I had a lovely lunch together with many tales and much laughter!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Glad you had a good time, JJ.

It's been an indoor sort of day here: it's blown a gale all day, with gusts up to 70 mph, and I could feel the house shuddering a bit, even though we're the middle of a block of three ... [Eek!]

I took a fancy for making a curry today - something I haven't done for well over 20 years. We had a ready-cooked chicken, so it was just a case of making a sauce and chucking things in, and it came out rather well. I was particularly pleased with the saffron rice I did to go with it, which was beautifully fluffy, and was described by D. as "a triumph". [Big Grin]

It was based on a recipe from the old Delia Smith books, but with adaptations to suit what I had, and I was chuffed enough with the result that I think I'll post the recipe upstairs.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's still early here and I'm just having a quick SoF session before heading off to a busy Interfaith Sunday - we go to Mass, come home and go straight to a Hindu marriage reception here in the village and then, after that, straight to a Muslim engagement thingy at a close neighbours house. Back about mid-afternoon completely knackered and with absolutely no need for supper!

First, though, a little bit of toast and marmalade - on my trek to The Big City yesterday the shop was out of Lemon and Lime marmalade so I had to settle for Orange, Lemon and Ginger.

I'll manage.

eta: it will be sort of malicious fun at the engagement thingy as the groom's mum can't stand me [the feeling is fairly mutual] but we shall smile and be pleasant as is required. The groom is a close friend and instructed his parents that I was invited.

[Two face]

[ 09. November 2014, 01:05: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:

I took a fancy for making a curry today - something I haven't done for well over 20 years. We had a ready-cooked chicken, so it was just a case of making a sauce and chucking things in, and it came out rather well. I was particularly pleased with the saffron rice I did to go with it, which was beautifully fluffy, and was described by D. as "a triumph". [Big Grin]

Saturday night has been curry night in our house for upwards of 15 years, to the best of my recollection, relying heavily on my Madhur Jaffrey recipe book. Last Christmas The Intrepid Miss S bought us a subscription for six monthly packs of fresh spices from The Spicery - they send you detailed instructions to make a main dish, a vegetable dish, various pickles and sides, as well as all the fresh whole and ground spices in little plastic envelopes. These feed four, so we have made various friends very happy by feeding them as well *mmmm*

I can never again get away with what has been described as 'chicken in slop' - i.e. a bought jar of curry sauce!

Mrs. S, fresh from last night's chicken tikka biryani [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I was given Madhur Jaffrey's books as a Christmas presents years ago and had many happy experiences with them. Her recipes were reliable and tasty and I've always used real spices since. I might dig those books out again - some of the recipes were good in lunchboxes.

In other news, the fog's rolling in fairly quickly just now. Hopefully this means it's going to be a lovely sunny autumn day when that clears.

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its sunny here, Ariel, not a wisp of fog in sight - but then we don't get much up here. Everything else damp and wet, but not fog!

Have a good day, everyone, going to track down piglet's curry now!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Tipping down with rain here East of Greenwich, with the hope of better weather later ... the folk doing Remembrance in the Park will get wet, I fear.
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Currently debating whether to go to the evening service or stay home with a glass of wine and the Sunday evening TV...

Nen - regular consumer of Chicken In Slop.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm considering myself fortunate - I did not get soaked at the Remembrance Service in Deri this morning. I did suggest that, if it started to rain, we could always take cover in the nearby bus shelter. This became impractical when 30 people turned up - it would have been more than a bit cosy in that shelter! Happily for us, although the weather looked threatening, it didn't come to anything.

And then, as we were clearing away after our afternoon service (this would be about 18:00) I heard a rather odd noise from outside. Went to the front door to have a listen and realised that what I had heard was a rumble of thunder. It was also raining fit to bust. Not good news as I had a flat case and a guitar to carry - it's difficult to carry an umbrella with both hands full.

There were several other claps of thunder, including one directly overhead but, here's the happy bit, the rain had more-or-less stopped by the time we had to walk home. I consider myself fortunate ...

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At 10:15,leaving home for church on a sunny morning we thought "Oh good, the poppies won't get their usual drenching, in Newport at any rate".

Wrong again. We're used to Newport and Cardiff having different weather but it remained sunny at the top of the hill, where we live, while it was wet and windy in town, not a mile away.

[ 09. November 2014, 19:48: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

The morning fog cleared into a brilliantly sunny autumn day. Notable for a quite amazing display of pumpkins at a farm shop - several long trestle tables piled full of every shape, size and colour of pumpkin and gourd you can imagine, and some you probably can't.

The tourist season is officially deemed to be over which means a lot of houses/gardens are either now closed until the spring, or else only partly open. But still, good to get out. The trees are still flying the last few pennants of colour - that probably won't last much more than a couple of weeks now.

I saw some of the Remembrance Day broadcast from the Cenotaph. Thank God it all went smoothly as intended.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Rick Stein's India is another recommended book for those who love curries, it's currently my most visited recipe book. The TV series was good too.
A nice afternoon, I slaughtered everyone at Monopoly then we had a late supper of a very nice whole Brie baked in bread (courtesy of my other half), followed by strawberries and marshmallows dipped in a chocolate fondue.
We've just siphoned 20 litres of berry cider into mini kegs and bottles and I'm now smelling decidedly fruity [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Stand By For An Interesting Factoid

Did you know that your computer won't be able to access the internet if you don't actually press the connect button?

Even at my great age I try and learn something useful every day.

[Big Grin]

Yesterday's interfaith thingy went well although my sneezing in the reading of the Letter from the Kerala Catholics Bishops Conference was a bit embarrassing - perhaps I'm allergic to Bishops - or Catholics!

After that the food at the Hindu Marriage Feast was indeed passable, so much so that I was unable to partake of the nosh on offer at the Muslim Engagement "do" - which means S's mum and I didn't actually come into contact, which I am sure made us both happy.

Today we are off to the Mall and some shopping for guests arriving in 48 hours time - arriving, indeed, on my ex-colleague's 66th birthday, so cake has to be bought and I think we need more cheese.

Also 10th of the month means it is pay day - my work pension is in my account today and will be transferred, or most of it, over here in the next couple of days - which pays for cheese!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
... going to track down piglet's curry now!

Guess who forgot to post it? [Hot and Hormonal] I'm messing about here in between making a batch of French sticks, so when I go downstairs to put them in the oven I'll bring the book (and hopefully the remains of my memory) with me and see what I can do.

It was a beautiful, but cold and still rather windy day here. We had our usual acts of remembrance during the morning service: the Dean read out the names from the WWII memorial during the kids' address, and we had "They shall grow not old" and sang the Royal Anthem (God Save the Queen), the Ode to Newfoundland and the National Anthem (O Canada).

11th November is a national holiday here, and acts of remembrance at War Memorials are done then. I understand the forecast isn't too bad for Tuesday ... **crosses fingers**

Loaves now in oven; I'll go and post that recipe upstairs. [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Currently debating whether to go to the evening service or stay home with a glass of wine and the Sunday evening TV...

Nen - regular consumer of Chicken In Slop.

[Killing me]

I wish we hadn't had to go to Evening Service- it was our quarterly Healing Service, which involves a LOT of sitting around. Also, it justified what the vicar says about 'organised religion' - 'Who are you calling organised?'. There were four people there I'd never seen before but mercifully Mr. S was siding and said there was no Mystery Worshipper card in the collection *phew*

We no longer go to Remembrance Day - not from principle but from pragmatism. The church needs our space more than our presence!

Mrs. S, who attended enough of those as Scout mother (is that like a soccer mum?)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Nice bit in the paper here last week - primary school children asked in a survey of things that worry them said that traffic was one of those that really go to them. Enter the local traffic police who escort various 6/7/8 years old to tell off offenders who didn't wear crash hats or seatbelts.

Good for them!

Apparently several offenders were quite shamefaced about told off by the littlies.

Brilliant!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Loaves now in oven; I'll go and post that recipe ...

Posting the recipe took longer than anticipated - loaves in oven nearly twice as long as they should have been - loaves somewhat crusty. [Hot and Hormonal]

There was swearing.

D. likes them that way (I don't - I think they'd work better as offensive weapons), so I'll probably make another batch and he can eat the crusty ones. I really must invest in a timer next time I'm in a kitchen shop ...

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
loaves in oven nearly twice as long as they should have been - loaves somewhat crusty. [Hot and Hormonal]

There was swearing.

OTOH, they could be an excellent accompaniment to French onion soup (the sort with a little cheese grated into it). Once slices are dunked into it, they'll soften up and be delicious. You might spread some garlic butter on them beforehand, or just turn them into croutons.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016