homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 49)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds good, Boogie. I never could get into watercolour painting, I preferred charcoals and pastels as I'm a control freak when doing art [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
... I never could get into watercolour painting ...

I never could get into any kind of painting except the sort that goes with "decorating", and then only when overtaken by some alternative version of myself ... [Big Grin]

To say that I was rubbish at art when I was in school would be the understatement of the century. Ironically, I spent 15 years working in an art college*, which caused mild derision in my old art teacher when I told him.

* well, in the office of one ... [Biased]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Herself is a remarkably kind and generous soul - he latest endeavour concerns a cold she found lying about somewhere that she has now managed to share all round the household, including to our guests!

Wasn't that a wonderful gesture?

NOT!!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Frown] Poor you (and your visitors). Lots of honey/lemon/ginger drinks for you.

How's the bloke who wasn't well after you were away getting on?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I switched to a different watercolour class this autumn. After some years working on landscapes with a teacher who favoured an almost exclusively lemon yellow/Prussian blue/alizarin crimson palette (catch phrase 'this gives us a lovely warm grey'), it now still life (indoors! in the warm!) with someone who lets us romp round the paintbox.

I would recommend taking classes: even the simplest guidance in colour mixing, or technique, can get you doing stuff you didn't think possible.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My watercolour tutor confined us to a palette of cobalt blue, yellow ochre and burnt sienna for landscapes. It did work but it was very subdued gentle English landscape colouring. And she tried and failed to convince one of the men to stop using Payne's grey. Mind you, she did have a point, I can pick his work out of any exhibition from the flatness and overpowering dullness of the Payne's grey. She told us not to use black and we mixed it using cobalt blue, viridian and either alizarin red or scarlet.

Mind you, she sent me off to find the right magenta pink to paint spindle berries as that was unmixable from the similar palette of acrylic paints she advised.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

This week, any creative juices I may possess are being channelled into The Dreaded Christmas Cookie Exchange. So far I've made one batch of Mars bar crispies, which is cooling and waiting for me to drizzle it with some melted chocolate and swear at it while I try to cut it up.

I have no idea as yet how many little squares I'm likely to get out of each batch, but I suspect that, allowing for brain-farts*, I'm going to have to do several batches to get the necessary 120 ... [Eek!]

Why does she have to invite so many people???

* I'm rubbish at cutting things into anything remotely resembling equal squares.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gypsy has gone on her holidays for two weeks - the house is so quiet!

So I am in a frenzy of de-cluttering and cleaning.

(Yes I am!, I'm not aboard the Ship, playing, noooo - not me!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll be looking for you on the Decluttering thread, Boogie!
[Devil]

Mrs. S, do as I say I do, don't do as I do!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Got a new annual season ticket today and found that I've been given not only a 5% discount but also 5 extra days for there having been a lousy service earlier this year.

I'm now trying to remember what actually happened earlier this year to prompt that. I guess we must have had floods on the line again or something.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant night last night - Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band - Carols and Capers tour. Not surprisingly, the theatre was absolutely full.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to a great concert at Colchester Folk Club: Belshazzar's Feast. The music was brilliant, the jokes in-between (deliberately) awful. A good time was had by all.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You all seem to be having such fun!
Today I finally got round to making myself the 1950s style dress for the Christmas party on Saturday.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our guests left last night, we dropped them at the airport just before midnight fully armed with noxious bugs to spread to all and sundry. My own cold seems to have made progress during the night but not in the direction which I would wish - I have cancelled my day out tomorrow as I know I will just be a total misery. I am a lousy patient!

A couple of evenings ago I dropped my thermos flask, thankfully empty, and it is now doing a fair imitation of maracas. I shall try to get a new one today.

Loads to do today despite the cold - busy, busy!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
... I'm rubbish at cutting things into anything remotely resembling equal squares.

Oddly, the first two batches didn't cut up too badly at all, and I managed to get 42 out of each recipe (plus a few for Quality Control, obviously), so I really only need one more batch to make my 120.

However, D. got enough Mars bars to do two more batches ...

Whatever shall I do? [Snigger]

As I type this I'm listening to the Advent Carol Service from St. John's College, Cambridge*, and excellent it is too.

* or "the other St. John's" as their organist called it when he replied to D's e-mail congratulating him on getting the job not long after we'd moved here. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A couple of evenings ago I dropped my thermos flask, thankfully empty, and it is now doing a fair imitation of maracas. I shall try to get a new one today.
Can you get the steel ones - just as excellent and don't break. We've had ours for years and still doing fine!
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Got a new annual season ticket today and found that I've been given not only a 5% discount but also 5 extra days for there having been a lousy service earlier this year.

Meh. In the latest instalment of François Hollande’s series “Find new and creative ways to tax the living daylights out of middle-earners”, my season ticket is going to be going up by 5€ a month. It will be coming down for people who live in the suburbs but those of us who live in Paris get to pay the excess.

I want Sarko back. Yes I really did say that. Check for the horsemen of the apocalypse.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm delighted to report that two-thirds of my Mars bar crispies are now boxed up in pretty little boxes with snowflakes and gingerbread-men on them, and the remaining third is waiting for the chocolate drizzle to set, and will be boxed up tomorrow.

really organised piglet

[Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Overused]

You're a star!

I have started to receive Christmas Cards so now the annual decision about whether we do for real ones or virtual ones or a mixture.

Happily both Himself and I are beginning to get over our colds - Herself, who donated them to us in the first place, has been feeling much improved for a couple of days.

H1N1 being present in the State has resulted in the slaughter of vast swathes of ducks and chickens [Tear] and the big Bird Sanctuary nearby has banned visitors in the hope of keeping it well away from there.

Being ill as soon as visitors leave means we are all far behind on the necessary chores plus I have loads to do in town today so I reckon I'd better get up out of this chair and DO SOMETHING!!

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

They sound lovely piglet [Smile]
I've been a good girl and done my OU work early today so I can play with some glass and do some sewing. I'm hypomanic at the moment which means I'm feeling quite creative and proactive but unfortunately it also means I'm not sleeping so I'm feeling quite tired and snappy now. I might pop back to bed for an hour later.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm delighted to report that two-thirds of my Mars bar crispies are now boxed up in pretty little boxes with snowflakes and gingerbread-men on them, and the remaining third is waiting for the chocolate drizzle to set, and will be boxed up tomorrow.

They sound great!

[Big Grin]

I am off to take the pooch then I'm going to Church - I have been asked to paint candles on the glass Church doors. Why did I agree to that? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'll post the recipe upstairs - they're dead easy. [Smile]

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not in Piglet's class, I fear, but it's so cold and grey here that I made lentil soup for lunch [Smile] If anyone has any wallpaper that's peeling off, I could have the answer right here [Snigger]

However I also made the Christmas cake, which seems to have risen appropriately and is just awaiting the apricot jam and brandy glaze on the nut topping [Yipee] (I don't like icing so I don't believe anyone else should either)

Mrs. S, cooking to keep warm [Devil]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

It is cold today, the first day it's actually felt wintery.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I'm enjoying the history programmes on iPlayer at the moment (I watch history programmes whilst sewing/cooking). Obviously there's loads of ww1 stuff on but also the Tudor Monastery bunch are helping build a medieval castle in France, there's a very good one on the Russian princesses murdered in the revolution which I've seen before, the lovely Mary Beard is in Pompeii in another repeat and there's one I've not seen before on a Scottish missionary who died in Auschwitz.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Here the monsoons seem finally to have departed - warm, dry days with sparkling blue skies but still cooling quite a bit at night. A few years ago it got down to 15.9C one December night and we don't want any more of that thankyouverymuch!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to a lunchtime crafts workshop at the office today where I learnt how to make a Victorian Christmas bauble. One of those round balls with panels of different coloured fabric, separated by gold ribbon, with optional sequins.

I should really have gone for the traditional colours instead of going for my favourites, because what I came out with looks more like a miniature beach ball in turquoise, orange and dark green, with a gold ribbon loop, than the elegant creations the others on the course came out with, but I've hung it from my desk lamp and it makes me smile.

I still can't believe I came out with a proper decoration. Great fun to do.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Not in Piglet's class, I fear, but it's so cold and grey here ...

We can certainly show the world how to do "cold and grey". [Big Grin]

Today the weather was schizophrenic even by Newfoundland standards: when D. dropped me off at w*rk it was raining so hard I got quite wet walking the 10 yards or so from the car to the door. When he picked me up three hours later the sun was splitting the rocks.

You're quire right though, Mrs. S. - on a cold, grey day, soup is definitely the answer. [Smile]

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
We went to a great concert at Colchester Folk Club: Belshazzar's Feast. The music was brilliant, the jokes in-between (deliberately) awful. A good time was had by all.

I very much love Belshazzar's feast. I saw them at Christmas-ish at Colchester a few years ago, but haven't quite managed it since!

Would have been there with you on Monday night, but I'd been to see Bellowhead on the Friday in Southend, and 2 late nights out in very quick succession would not have been very fair on MrJt9. Bellowhead were wonderful, but then they always are. <sigh> My first BH gig in 3 years. I grinned like a loon for the next 24 hours straight.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I can't believe you have a whole lot of lovely Mars bars in the house and use them for cooking!
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

This morning I started my New Fitness Regime by getting up shortly after the alarm went off and got dressed and out on my bicycle for 40 minutes round some local lanes with a little bit of main road as well - amazing the changes in the area since I last did it with a HUGE new mosque going up a mile or so away.

Will the NFR last more than one day?

Shall we run a book on it?

Happily the Cold from Hell seems to be letting go now - good riddance!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
Piglet, I can't believe you have a whole lot of lovely Mars bars in the house and use them for cooking!

Erm ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Now that I've made the required number of cookies, it's a matter of making sure the remaining Mars bars don't go off (which would obviously be a Very Bad Thing) ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:

Erm ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Now that I've made the required number of cookies, it's a matter of making sure the remaining Mars bars don't go off (which would obviously be a Very Bad Thing) ... [Big Grin]

And you certainly must have checked them for freshness before cooking any of them.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
And you certainly must have checked them for freshness before cooking any of them.
[Biased]

Every one. Rigorously. Or so we presume.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Will the NFR last more than one day?

Shall we run a book on it?

Happily the Cold from Hell seems to be letting go now - good riddance!

Double doses of fitness coming when I arrive, sweetie. Not to mention your daily bike ride after our pre-breakfast walk.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
...And you certainly must have checked them for freshness before cooking any of them.

I confess to taking one tiny little bit from each batch. Just to make sure ... [Hot and Hormonal]

In other news, as we had some eggs that were needing to be used, I have made raisin CAKE. Do help yourselves. [Smile]

[ 06. December 2014, 01:42: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

An hour's ride this morning including two hills where I got off and pushed - I might have managed the first but it is a narrow lane and there was a big JCB coming towards me so, discretion being the better part of valour, I got off. Not yet feeling much benefit from it but I have been surprised how easy it has been.

I am also down to two meals a day but am not convinced that eating the amount I did at lunch yesterday is really helpful [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Breakfast/lunch and lunch/supper are two meals now?

[Eek!]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, we could discuss the amounts you eat over here whilst telling us about how abstemious you are over in The Permafrost.

[Two face]

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He is worried you are only going to give him two meals a day.

First real cold morning of the winter in London, I cycled down to my local parkrun, three miles roughly, and could hardly get my cycle helmet off as my hands despite gloves were numb enough to be unable to operate the release thing. All of me was quite hot after running 5k though !

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Not in Piglet's class, I fear, but it's so cold and grey here that I made lentil soup for lunch [Smile] If anyone has any wallpaper that's peeling off, I could have the answer right here [Snigger]

Send it over, Mrs S. Mr Nen's been wallpapering in our bedroom and the first bit fell off the wall. [Roll Eyes]

I had this afternoon earmarked for writing the Christmas cards but have lost any enthusiasm I had for the task, so I'm sitting here at the desk with the cards, stamps, address book and last year's list, making no progress with it at all. [Disappointed]

Nen - eagerly anticipating stir fry and red wine for tea. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Scraped ice off the windscreen for the first time this winter. Admittedly we've only been in winter for 6 days, but it was still something of a surprise. Everywhere looked so beautiful, covered in frost, with mists rising where the sun touched it, and plumes of chimney smoke going up into a clear sky.

Lunch in a friendly, quiet, old-fashioned country pub, with a seat next to an open fire. Just sitting quietly watching the bright flames dance, the coals glow, and the sparks shooting upwards, really is a lovely way to unwind.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We decided on the pre-Christmas run to Costco. Waited until midday, since we had a wine tasting last night and wanted to be quite sure the driver was under the new Scottish drink-drive limit (which is somewhere around a wine gum in the last 6 months). Roadworks on the approach to the roundabout which gives access to Costco, major retail part, the city bypass and IKEA, so plenty of time to contemplate the rash of Barrett boxes lapping the very edges of the motorway.

Bought festive assortment of dishwasher tablets, vinyl gloves, paper towels, cheese, meat and three and a half kilos of ground coffee.

My cold has gone past the very wet stage and is now at the churchyard cough.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, I love your accounts of your weekend outings and often feel quite envious. Today is one of those times. [Smile]

Well, I have written six cards. I only send around 30 in total so I can't think why I'm making such hard work of it. [Roll Eyes] And Mr Nen has said he doesn't want red wine this evening [Eek!] so suddenly tea has lost at least half its appeal. [Frown]

Nen - who now fancies some wine gums.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

Mr Nen has said he doesn't want red wine this evening ... [Frown]

Open it anyway me dear - open it anyway!

I feel the same about Ariel's weekend jaunts, yet it's my own laziness which prevents me from doing the same! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I would just open it too [Big Grin]
I'm off out to my other half's work do. It's dinner with wine followed by dancing and faux gambling so should be fun. He's been there years so at least I know some of the older staff and spouses and one of his work colleagues is a friend from church.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to a distant relative's funeral yesterday - my grandfather's first cousin's son in law. His stepson is a few years older than me, his daughter a few years younger. I've never been to a humanist funeral before, and was totally unimpressed, not even a passing reference to anything spiritual - the curtain drew round the coffin and we were told to send him off with our love. [Frown]
On the other hand, we're now back up to two cats, having picked Annie up this afternoon. She's gone exploring - we think she's gone to ground in the front room, but she's certainly not a scaredy-puss, and will emerge when she's ready.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could easily have had two cats myself this morning as first one, then the other of next doors cats, Romeo (a girl) and Twinkle, arrived on our step trying to get in from the cold. We never let them in, but they always sit on the top step and look hopeful and try to sneak in between in your ankles on opening the door. Poor frozen kitties. [Frown]

In other news, my Mum made a batch of gingerbread reindeer for our church's kids' Christmas craft thing and I've been left munching the broken back leg. Yum.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

St. G, I went to a humanist funeral once and it was almost the single most depressing event of my life. The lady in question had died very suddenly, completely unexpectedly, and her husband had - I was going to write, had broken his heart - to make the funeral worthy of her. She was put into the ground in a beautiful place, on a fabulous December day, but we walked away from the graveside feeling 'is that it? is that everything?' (and incidentally came home to find that our guest's mother-in-law in Aberdeen had died that very same day. Just about put the tin lid on it!)

My mother the Dowager (90) told her older sister (93) that if she had a crematorium funeral she (the Dowager) wouldn't go. 'I've been to far too many of those' she said with a ladylike sniff.
[Killing me]

Mrs. S, sending Nen virtual lentil soup

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just had a very peculiar day - I'm away on a flute course, and no-one knew it is my birthday. Was never sure whether to mention it, in case anyone felt obliged to do something about it. So am I another year older, or does this one not really count?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016