homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 53)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I ended up so full of nasty bug that I had a cast iron excuse for not going to the work do. I went to the training day beforehand, had to lead some of the training, but was asleep by 8pm last night. And it was pretty obvious I wasn't feeling great.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
To North East Quine - Yes! Attack of the Giant Robot Chickens is there!

[Yipee]

Thank you! Much excitement in the North East household!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done to North East Loon! [Smile]

I've had a busy but not all that productive* day - having coloured my hair and made lunch, I really should have spent the afternoon producing comestible Christmas presents, but what I actually spent it producing was the Cathedral Christmas bulletin (at least that's out of the way).

Then when I got home, I decided that making soup for tomorrow's lunch would be far more therapeutic than making fudge or pâté of varying sorts.

There'll be a mad rush in the next few days, but then there usually is ... [Eek!]

* well, not productive in the way I'd intended it to be, anyway

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Naughty WW woke up this morning, woken from a rather disturbing dream by the alarm, then went back to sleep instead of going for a cycle ride.

I was thinking about doing a penance but...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All presents wrapped and dispatched/ready to go. All cards sent to those who are still alive at Christmas. Xmas food now bought and ready to take to mother's for festive lunch.

45 unprintable minutes spent trying to get my deskjet printer to work, including rebooting, trying to reinstall software and finally speaking severely to the deskjet saying if it didn't work I would be binning it and getting a replacement. On which note, it immediately decided to co-operate, and I've now managed to print out some photos of my mother's wedding all those years ago, the best one framed as a surprise gift for her.

I was quite surprised that the shops didn't seem to be as busy today as last year, but perhaps that will come. Last year I got stuck in a traffic jam in the supermarket car park immediately on entering, and it took half an hour to get out, so I wasn't chancing it with the car today.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amazingly quiet on the roads in town here Sunday, too - and fewer shops open. Most odd.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... 45 unprintable minutes spent trying to get my deskjet printer to work ...

Well, they would be unprintable, wouldn't they?* [Big Grin]

After a nice Evensong (our carol service isn't until next week), went out with some of the choir to celebrate the birthday of one of the other altos.

On coming home at about 10 o'clock, had a fit of goddessishness and made the chicken-liver pâté, some of which is for pressies and some for ourselves (or will be frozen and taken to the Choir party next week).

The "to-do" list is shrinking, slowly ...

* with apologies to the late Mandy Rice-Davies.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm missing a TICH thread on which to complain about the burglar alarm up the road which has been ringing since yesterday tea time. Fortunately I can go to parts of the house from which it is not audible - it must be Hell for the immediate neighbours. The police will not intervene if there's no sign of an actual break in, so it's a matter of contacting the owners, who could be holidaying in Australia for all we know.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A friend of mine in a similar situation some years ago eventually resorted to a stepladder and a hammer but that was after 48 hours of it.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The law must be different in Scotland - some friends of ours came home after a week's holiday to discover that in their absence their burglar alarm had developed a fault and the police had broken their door down, disabled the alarm and then boarded the door up again to make the house secure. It cost them quite a lot of money to put everything back the way it was.

Apparently the police did try to find someone who had keys to their house when the neighbours complained, but couldn't. Nowadays they make sure everyone knows who has the spare keys when they go away...

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most alarms stop after 15 minutes these days anyway ... but I don't blame the police for shutting it up, they make an awful sound!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... 45 unprintable minutes spent trying to get my deskjet printer to work ...

Well, they would be unprintable, wouldn't they?* [Big Grin]
Oh, now that has made my day!! [Overused]

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

When do I get my certificate as hardware engineer?

Certificate, badge and rosette!

Just shows what watching the experts can do!

Wodders, I think what you need is this [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's perfect, thanks.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Of course, for matters non-electronic, the flow-chart you need is this one. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Kipper pâté made.

Shopping done (except for some booze which I'm leaving for D. to look after).

Fudge made - I added the Bailey's, but I don't think I'll do that again: I feel as if it's all I can taste. Mistakes are available for virtual tasting - help yourselves.

I'll do the cherry-cake and French sticks tomorrow, and with a bit of wrapping-up that should be me about sorted.

I'll be glad of a week-and-a-bit off w*rk - I'm somewhat zonked.

[Snore]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baking here too, I'm about to start some gingerbread men, then a chocolate log and possibly some meringues.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So long as the front room is tidied for Xmas, tomorrow is the baking day. Mince pies, rolls and olive breadsticks are the highlights. Eldest son is doing pastizzi (Maltese ricotta pastries) and curry puffs.

I think our Christmas Eve feast will be snacky, but with cheese, and chutney, ham and bread made at home, we'll do OK.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are all making me hungry! With a diabetic husband and a gluten-free daughter, I don't do much baking now [Frown]

But I have made mince and apple pies - I at least6 can eat them!!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hsve secured a lobster at a reasonable price for Christmas lunch [Big Grin]

Quite amazingly they're doing whole cooked lobsters in the local supermarket for just £6. The dressed ones don't cost much more. [Yipee]

Very little left to do now except get a couple of last-minute things tomorrow and sort out what telly programmes to watch. Then hole up with a stack of DVDs, books and a bag of dark chocolate lebkuchen. And there is nowhere I have to be, and no commuting until next year. O bliss.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just made a large pot of cranberry sauce to take to my mother in laws for Christmas. I need to go out for some sticky-back plastic to stick the labels I calligraphied (is that a word?) for the sauce and the damson gin. I'm expecting a man to come to check our drains, but he's two hours late, dithering whether to assume he isn't turning up and go out or wait a bit longer.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christmas meal is what I can find when I get there tomorrow afternoon! With gluten and dairy allergic daughter arriving later as she has to stay until lunchtime or take leave. We'll live, it just could be very random.

We're going somewhere we can both get to reasonably easily this year. And she now lives somewhere that isn't a straightforward journey anywhere.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr Nen and I did The Big Shop first thing this morning so now bird and sprouts are in the house and the main meal event can happen. I've made a tray of chocolate covered flapjack as my contribution to the Boxing Day get-together with Nenlet1's in laws.

I'm sleeping badly at the moment and feel worn out. What I'd really like to do this afternoon is curl up in front of a programme I don't mind missing and go to sleep, but I don't think that's an option. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - who feels exhausted just hearing about all the baking everyone else is doing. [Snore]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. just phoned me from Costco - he's braver than I am going there two days before Christmas ... [Eek!]

Fudge has been cut and bagged (and some delivered to colleagues in the lab); D. reckons it's tastes all right, if rather rich, but as it's Christmas I don't suppose that matters.

If anyone has any spare energy, may I have some? [Smile]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to bed and had a sleep.

Nen - feeling slightly more human now. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's lovely living in a house with people who like to shop and do virtually all of it - I just hand over the cash and go back to my book.

[Big Grin]

I've got my own computer back at last so thanks to Himself for letting me use his for a couple of weeks. New computer for Nephew Person will be delivered late morning. I must go to Larger Local Town to get a few things that others can't buy for me, but that should be okay as I know pretty well what I want and where to get it.

Midnight Mass tonight and then bed - must also buy a bag of sweets to hand out to the carol singers later.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There's definitely something Not Quite Right. [Confused]

It's 10:45 p.m. on the 23rd, and I appear to be at the stage of organisation that I'd expect to be at this time tomorrow ...

Pressies are nearly all wrapped, except for the perishables, which I'll leave in the fridge until the last minute, and the French sticks*, which I've just taken out of the oven, and will wrap in cling-film before I go to bed.

I must have forgotten something - if anyone can think what it is, please let me know (preferably before the shops close tomorrow). [Big Grin]

* Some friends are getting pâté and some are getting spiced lentil soup, so the French sticks will go nicely with both.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've wrapped all presents but the other half's. We usually do it Christmas Eve but we're out to dinner at a friends' house tonight.
We have a last minute pop to the shops as a relative has requested we bring a Christmas pudding and drinks to their house over Christmas. Then some tidying.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

That's it then - all shopping completed by 8 am this morning. Early indications are that the supermarkets are going to be packed soon, they were filling up as I left.

Watched "The Snowman" on television last night - strangely I hadn't seen this before, what a lovely little film. I don't normally like animations but this was beautiful.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must have been a real treat seeing 'The Snowman' for the first time - a loevly film.
My mum stayed with us last night so we don't have to make a detor to pick her up which given the likelyhood of heavy traffic would have added two or three hours to our journey to my brothers. She's now got up so I need to go and get dressed, packed and sort out the piles of presents for various people. ALl of this is compounded by the fact my husband and two of his siblings have birthdays round Christmas too.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Well, that's w*rk done for this year - finishing up now until Monday 5th January.

I love my job, but it's nice not to have to do it for a wee while!

[Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's now just about the right time to wish my fellow Brits a Merry Christmas - I'm messing about on here, having wrapped all the pressies that will be delivered tonight, baked another batch of loaves, which are cooling, and have some time to kill before D. gets back from the 7:30 p.m. service and picks me up for Midnight Mass.

Afterwards, we'll probably take a turn down to the pond to feed the ducks and wish them a merry Christmas, then home to watch the Mass from St. Peter's on Channel 21 and see whether the organ goes mysteriously sharp* whenever it comes in after an unaccompanied bit ... [Snigger]

* I feel sorry for the poor old Pope - his choir really isn't awfully good.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The singing at Midnight Mass here last night would have brought tears to your eyes, Piglet & D, it really was not very good - but they tried their best, I suppose.

Got home about 01.00 which was surprisingly early - going to have a bit of brekkie and open presents soon. Herself had her present weeks ago so I didn't bother to take it back and wrap it for her.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
* I feel sorry for the poor old Pope - his choir really isn't awfully good.

He needs Gareth Malone. I was idly channel-hopping yesterday evening and the Military Wives were on, and I hopped no further. Fantastic stuff.

Listened to some of the midnight service from Westminster Cathedral later on but as always I fell asleep before the end. I remember thinking that some of the music pieces seemed to go on for an unusually long time, but that might just have been my perception.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Why do we do it to ourselves, year in and year out?

I daren't get on the scales for at least a week.

Christmas lunch here in The Developing World consisted of 17 separate dishes, all cooked this morning - and each of them separately delicious!

Stupendously delicious!

I have decided that I am officially a fat @#$%^&*!!

I think I might have a nap soon.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was simply wonderful.

Our Church did a full Christmas meal today with all the trimmings for 100 people including 20 homeless and 30 meals taken out to the housebound. Everyone putting in a really big effort and pulling together. The person who organised it all is a marvellous woman - gentle, kind, organised and sensible.

A really special reminder of just what can be done [Big Grin]

I was washer-upper-in chief Now I'm home and it's time for feet up and TV on [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Same every year, I am always surprised, even after having lived here all these years, that on my evening walk around the village I see buses running and shops open on Christmas day - but then I realise that actually less than 20% of the population is Christian so why am I surprised?

As usual lots of Hindu homes have lit stars hanging outside but this year far fewer Muslim homes doing the same.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Christmas morning Eucharist sorted - not a big congregation, but there never is. Sherry, sausage rolls and mince-pies afterwards courtesy of one of the wardens' wives and a member of the choir, which was nice. Then home for present-unwrapping and GIN followed by phone-calls home - one to Dad who seemed in v. good form (he'd been to a Sally Army Christmas lunch and enjoyed it), and somewhat-less-than-sober one to my sister, who's got The Mob round at hers for the day.

Had "merry Christmas" called out to me by my two-year-old great-niece, which made for a nice "aaaah" factor.

[Axe murder]

Hope you're all having a great day. [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Back now from dinner at D & M's, and very nice it was too (although over-indulgence may have occurred).

Nice lazy day tomorrow, methinks; we were given a present of some of those cute little soup-bowls with a single handle, so I think a spot of therapeutic soup manufacture may be on the cards. I'll let you know when it's ready for virtual tasting. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Lazy days?

Never!

Although I will confess that I just turned off the alarm at 06.00, turned over and returned to sleep so no cycle ride this morning.

[Hot and Hormonal]

However I may cycle in to town later as there is a new ice cream parlour I want to check out to see if it is suitable for future visits.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, my sons always wondered how I could cook a slice with the corner missing. Quality control of course had kicked in.

You seem to be along the same lines. It might just take a couple of visits to be sure you have decided correctly.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well yes. You want to form an objective and unbiased assessment, based on some representative samples.

I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday. Peace and quiet, good food, and I've watched more television than I have in an entire month. It was particularly nice to see Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes", as it's one of my favourite films.

A peaceful pre-dawn St Stephen's Day at the moment, frosty and full of birdsong. Nobody about, no cars... I wonder if we will get the snow they've promised later?

[ 26. December 2014, 06:39: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very heavy frost here, but overcast. Feel I need coffee: lots and lots of strong coffee.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Cloudy here, too, but no frost as yet.

After the stupendous meal yesterday it was followed by Malabar Fish Curry today which is cooked in a sauce based on cashew paste. Feast fit for the tables in Heaven!

It's sad but I have heard that it is totally unsuitable for people in wheelchairs...

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a lovely day yesterday with daughter and good food - delicious apple and mincemeat tart with gluten-free pastry contributed by her (plus brandy butter, of course!)

Grey day today, and cold. Looks like snow.

What do you give old ladies for Christmas? Why, hand and body cream, lots and lots of it, all smelling like a summer day [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I'm just off out to walk to Grantchester for the annual barrel race. Then it will be back here for a lazy afternoon of sherry and good food [Smile]
I hope you are all having a good Christmas.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...It was particularly nice to see Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes", as it's one of my favourite films...

Ariel, you're a bad influence! I've just ordered that and two other early-ish Hitchcock's on DVD and it's all your fault!!

[Biased]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Happy to be of service [Devil] It's on my wish list as well.

I regret to say that I've just succumbed to the Boxing Day Sales. I now own a shiny new mug which I can take to the office in the new year, and a copy of Ben Aaronovitch's latest Peter Grant book, "Foxglove Summer", on offer at half price. I is sorted.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

At just six quid for three Hitchcock movies it was hard to say no - so I didn't bother trying. I really must find myself a copy of The Birds as it is so well done.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
...It was particularly nice to see Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes", as it's one of my favourite films...

Ariel, you're a bad influence! I've just ordered that and two other early-ish Hitchcock's on DVD and it's all your fault!!

[Biased]

Watched it with my father in law, Mr Bee having gone up to bed. He was busy spotting actors, though it was I what noticed Michael Redgrave. Was an unexpectedly funny film with many laugh out loud moments, though we had both had sherry and wine earlier!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016