homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 54)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Birds, North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much and Rear Window also now on order - I'll have to re-arrange my shelves again to give myself another metre of DVD space. I hadn't really got myself something for Christmas so this lot will do instead.

[The shelves are already overfull with some stacked on others, not how I like things, really. Where's that decluttering thread?]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Watched it with my father in law, Mr Bee having gone up to bed. He was busy spotting actors, though it was I what noticed Michael Redgrave.

I'd meant to look out for the Hitchcock cameo, and completely missed it.

It is an unexpectedly funny film - you don't expect Hitchcock films to be amusing, but this one is.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Cloudy here, too, but no frost as yet.

Really? [Snigger]
quote:
... It's sad but I have heard that [the fish curry] is totally unsuitable for people in wheelchairs...

It's rotten the way the sauce banjaxes the wheelchair workings, isn't it? [Big Grin]

Made a pot of soup, and on a whim have asked D and M (the friends whose house we were at on Christmas Day) round to help us eat it on Saturday evening, so a spot of house-tidying and supplementary grocery-shopping will have to ensue tomorrow once the shops open.

One of the few places that was open today was a new restaurant serving vegetarian Chinese food, which we tried (in the interests of research) and found to be very good indeed.

As soon as we sat down we were given glasses of Chinese tea, which were topped up regularly, and little bowls of a delicious broth flavoured with vegetables and apples - sounds odd I know, but was lovely.

Then we shared a couple of main courses - vegetarian* chicken with peppers, celery and cashew nuts and vegetarian duck and pork with broccoli, both served with rice and a couple of piquant dipping sauces.

It was all very flavoursome, and even with a 20% tip it came to less than $30 (about £16.50) for the two of us.

I've no idea how it'll keep going at those prices, but I hope it does! [Smile]

* Presumably made of something based on soya, but much nicer than a carnivore like me would have expected.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A [Malay-] Chinese friend told me that there is a lot of veggie food in Chinese cooking but it rarely appears in Chinese restaurants in the rest of the world, except here where a lot of folks are veggie. There is also a big festival once a year in China when all food is traditionally vegetarian.

Up before 06.00 today and a half hour walk at dawn - very pleasant once I got over the shock of being awake so early.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find the only cure for being awake that early is to go back to sleep. [Snore]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I woke up at 1 am this morning and there was nothing I could do but accept it, read a book and listen to the radio until about 5.30 am. This is what comes of lack of exercise during the day and eating a full meal in the evening, but that's Christmas. Fun at the time, though.

No snow at all here, just a clear, frosty morning after rain. Looks like a lousy day for trying to travel, though, especially by rail, with some extra unplanned annoyances thrown in.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We needed a few groceries so decided to go to a supermarket in Brecon - around 35 miles away - rather than the supermarket in our own town! We did our shopping, had lunch at the cathedral and headed back. The Beacons had been clear going over, but coming back, there was a smattering of snow on the tops around Storey Arms.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We just have a nice festive smattering of snow. But we look out on to the Pennines and they are thick with it - very pretty!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite a lot of snow in the East Midlands last night, a bit tricky getting the car out of my mother in law's drive this morning but after that an easy drive home, apart from the fact that heavy traffic and a sat nav that couldn't make up it's mind meant the journey home took two hours longer than usual. Had a lovely couple of days seeing most of the family, but it's nce to be home now.
Tomrrow more driving to pick my mum up from my brothers (where we dropped her on Christmas Eve) and take her home.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
possibly I am being more than usually daft but it would seem quite hard to watch The Lady Vanishes and not notice Michael Redgrave. Isn't he the lead ?

Which version of The Man who knew too much did you get Welease Woderwick, the British or the American ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We just have a nice festive smattering of snow. But we look out on to the Pennines and they are thick with it - very pretty!

[Smile]

Our son saw the snow and waxed the sledge runners last night. By the time he had woken this morning the thaw had started and there was not enough snow. Further up the moor there was more snow.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
...Which version of The Man who knew too much did you get Welease Woderwick, the British or the American ?

The 1956 version with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day - apparently it was the one that Hitchcock preferred and I reckoned he was the expert on his own movies...

...but I may get the other later.

Which do you prefer?

Yesterday I had a half hour brisk walk with the dawn, today I had an hour [well, 56 minutes] but I was flagging a bit towards the end, not quite as brisk as I was when I started. Still 'tis better than nowt.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We got a tiny wee smattering of sn*w today - no more than an inch - but it seems to have pretty much gone now.

Supper with friends went v. nicely - they seemed to enjoy everything.

After they'd gone and I'd loaded the washing-up machine, I started to watch the Top Gear India special, but I must have been really knackered, as I fell asleep during it ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Going to bed now as I've got a long day tomorrow - business as usual at church in the morning, carol service* in the evening followed by the choir party.

Night-night all. [Snore]

* We're probably the only cathedral in Christendom that still holds its carol service after Christmas ... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
* We're probably the only cathedral in Christendom that still holds its carol service after Christmas ... [Roll Eyes]

If you were more local I'd love to come and listen. I always think it's a shame that carols aren't really sung after Christmas Eve, when it is actually still the Christmas period. It's as if it all ends after 25 December once the shops reopen for the sales.

No snow here, just rain, and now frost. The world is still and beautiful at the moment, all greys and silver, light pink and pastel blue. But very cold.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We're probably the only cathedral in Christendom that still holds its carol service after Christmas ...

Might this (in Britain, at any rate) be due to the choral tradition which uses children in the choir? After all, they've already worked their surplices off in the approach to Christmas, giving up quite a chunk of their school holidays into the bargain. Now it's only a week or so before they return to school - this is the only time they can go and visit granny!

Are things different in other countries/traditions? FWIW we aren't having a "carol service" today but we will be singing carols - as, I'm sure, is the case in loads of other churches.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good morning all.

We had our family Christmas yesterday as both sons were home. It was really good - they haven't seen each other since last February.

My best present - a flight from Bristol to Glasgow with my youngest son in the pilot's seat!

(26th January, how exciting! I well remember sitting in the passenger seat when he drove me in a car for the first time)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remembered I wanted to ask Piglet a question following her comment about the Pope's organ and choir not being in tune with each other. When you sing older music, as it seems you usually do in your choir, do you sing according to modern concert pitch, or to a lower pitch like original instrument orchestras generally do ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I am going to bed before I do any more damage to my credit card! I have just been looking at Amazon UK and, as a friend is coming to visit from there in March, I have ordered a book and three more operas to be delivered to his place before he leaves.

Kyrie eleison!

eta: the three operas are a boxed set and at a very reasonable price.

[ 28. December 2014, 15:39: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Derbyshire thick with snow when I crossed it today. Major delays were due to it. No not due to roads being blocked by abandoned vehicles but crowds gathering at "traditional" sledging sites!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
possibly I am being more than usually daft but it would seem quite hard to watch The Lady Vanishes and not notice Michael Redgrave. Isn't he the lead ?

Yes, he was the irritating man at the hotel who then helps Margaret Lockwood in her search for the old lady on the train. He had a wonderfully funny fight scene in the luggage carriage with the magician. You can't miss him! [Biased]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some settled snow in Liverpool yesterday, but nothing obvious on the motorways down (in the dark, would have had to have been very obvious to see).

I've officially gone off coach travel, again. There was someone who obviously thought caring is sharing as they coughed and spluttered their cold over everyone on the way up on Christmas Eve. Standing around for over an hour waiting for a much delayed bus home* in the cold and wet was enough to ensure that I too can now cough and splutter pathetically. Liverpool One is lacking somewhat in warm dry places to wait.

Ah, well, it kept me away from reduced chocolate Yule log which is all to the good of my waistline.

* and no, rail wasn't an option either, I saw the departure board at Liverpool station as I put my daughter on her trans-Pennine train home earlier in the day. It was just lots of warnings about delays.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

No snow here. The roads are that special winter combination of mud and ice, but it's perfectly possible to get around, if you don't mind going a bit more slowly than usual and having a filthy car at the end of it.

Went out to have a look at some of the villages this afternoon as it was such a beautiful sunny day. Lots of Christmas wreaths hanging on doors, and some festive lights hanging from the eaves of the older cottages. The birds were full of life and very vocal, the sheep seemed very quiet, grazing peacefully on the hillsides. I hadn't realized how cold it was until my fingers went numb, so I went home and warmed up with a cup of tea and hot buttered crumpets with honey, which are pretty good things for a cold winter's afternoon.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a lovely walk in the local arboretum and lunch at a pub. It was Nenlet2's last day with us before he headed off this evening to spend New Year with friends. Mr Nen has dropped him off to catch the bus for the first leg of his journey and I'm home alone trying not to blubber. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a day of that bright, brilliant winter sunshine, so we went down to a heaving Princes St (sales! sales!) and into the Christmas Market. I bought a pair of fluffy slippers handmade (the stall holders assured me) from the finest Polish mountain sheep.

We then went down to the City Art a Gallery which had a couple of small but interesting exhibitions of 1) paintings of Edinburgh 2) paintings of or about WW1.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
We're probably the only cathedral in Christendom that still holds its carol service after Christmas ...

Might this (in Britain, at any rate) be due to the choral tradition which uses children in the choir? ...
Doesn't apply here - our choir is all adults - but I think your theory may be right in part. There's also the question of the organist getting a break - when we were in Belfast D. got the week after Christmas off, which was handy as I did as well (I worked in the local art college, which closed for the week after Christmas). I know it's liturgically correct not to sing Christmas carols until Christmas Eve, but in practice it doesn't work like that - people expect carol services to be the Sunday before Christmas. There's a core of People With Influence™ here for whom any form of change is at best deeply suspicious, and I doubt if any amount of campaigning on our part to have the service at the same time as the rest of civilisation would make any difference ... [Roll Eyes]

Having said that, we didn't get a bad turnout this evening and the whole thing went very well, and we had a nice sociable choir party afterwards.
quote:
Originally posted by Moonlitdoor:

do you sing according to modern concert pitch, or to a lower pitch like original instrument orchestras generally do ?

Modern pitch - we're not quite as authentic as that!

I was being a bit sarky about the Pope's choir - they have a tendency to go flat in the unaccompanied bits, so whenever the organ comes in, it sounds as if it's gone sharp. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow here in high-ish central-to-south-east France. Just made a curried root vegetable soup to have with ham sandwiches for lunch. If it's warmer tomorrow (-5° ish at the moment) we may go to the Sales tomorrow looking for a new tablet/laptop for me as my old tablet has died.

I'm quite a happy bunny having just received a free copy of Oxford Univ Press "Dominoes" reader "White Fang" + associated CD/Multi ROMs. I will be able to use this with one of my young students who is coming to the end of his book (I generally teach English through books to my younger students) I got it by signing up to the OUP Teaching site...no real hardship there.

[ 29. December 2014, 09:59: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just had my first morning on my own for quite a while after spending Xmas with my daughters. The lodger is away until the end of the month. I got some tidying done (though not enough to qualify for the Decluttering thread) and some not very interesting cooking, enlivened by listening to BBC Radio's excellent Skool Days of Nigel Molesworth. Then elder daughter arrived for lunch. [Smile]

Been thinking a lot about the balance between living alone and not living lone. The lodger is not an ideal solution, but I'm not sure what an ideal solution would look like. Perhaps there isn't one.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

We have been at my brother's farm today. My niece had a present of a hot air balloon ride for her special birthday (40th). It set off from right outside her front room window. Amazing!

Here is a photo.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantastic photo Boogie, I'm slightly envious of your neice.
Today has been extremely lazy, apart from short visit to the sales.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was back to w*rk today, but I'm off again on NYE so it's just the 2 days [Smile] and the roads and car parks are empty [Smile]
It's also good as it keeps me away from the goodies at home and gets me off my backside, any longer and I might have needed surgically removing from the armchair.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
...It's also good as it... gets me off my backside, any longer and I might have needed surgically removing from the armchair.

I think that would qualify as elective surgery so you could have had to wait months if not years!

Ah, bliss!

Boogie, another fabulous shot - and what an experience! I think I envy here a bit as well.

I'm having to send my New Year's text messages today as tomorrow and Thursday calls and SMSs are a silly price. I have also decided that I shall keep the local [i.e. this house] tradition tomorrow night and go to bed at my usual time and sleep through the festivities - I may be woken by fireworks at midnight but I can live with that.

eta: it looks a bit parky on the moors in that photo, Boogie - it made me shiver even over here!

[ 30. December 2014, 02:21: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm still on holiday until next Monday. [Yipee]

I've had a very productive sort of day. Having braved the sales at the smaller (and nicer) of the two shopping centres here, I came back with an apple-corer/slicer thingy, a pair of what I think will be v. comfortable shoes for $22 and a pair of black jeans* for $15 which only needed the hem taking up (which I did this evening while waiting for a batch of loaves to do its thing in the bread-machine).

* Shopping for jeans is one of the most frustrating, soul-destroying activities known to man, but one of the most rewarding when successful. [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

eta: it looks a bit parky on the moors in that photo, Boogie - it made me shiver even over here!

Yes - parky indeed. I keep having to break the ice on the bird bath for 'my' sparrows!

Off for a double doggy walk soon with trousers, over trousers, two jumpers, furry boots, coat scarf, gloves and hat [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very parky here, white frost white as snow. Definitely snowy on the tops!

Going for walk shortly - dressed like you boogie, only I've got 3 jumpers (shh - one of them is a thermal vest! [Smile] )

Trouble is, I'm scared of slipping over. Will walk on the grass in the park, I think.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Excellent shot, Boogie, magazine quality.

The car's gone off for its MOT and service today so I'm waiting to hear how that goes. Meanwhile I keep thinking of things I can do while I wait, then remember most of them involve the use of a car. Probably not the day to be out on country roads, though.

But I did go for an early morning walk along the canal. It was really beautiful - golden sun lighting up the thick frost, outlining ice crystals and bringing a glow to the swans who had found the one patch of melted ice on the canal. Benches sparkled as if someone had given them a diamond coating, wood smoke drifted up from the narrowboats and shone a little in the morning sun, and mists were rising from where the sun touched anything wooden that had been frosted overnight. Air very crisp, hardly anyone to be seen, and a real pleasure to be out.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am now back from visiting parents en rouge in the Midlands. It was COLD. Snow was sighted on Boxing Day chez Grandad en rouge in North Wales. Then we went to my parents’ church on Sunday morning and the heating was broken down. Brrrrr.

Essentially we spent five days eating. Dad en rouge the gourmet chef catered every meal and it was all rather luxurious. Of late I think he makes a point of pushing the boat out even more because he’s so proud of being able to impress a French person with his gastronomy. His bottle of 1973 Armagnac was also not unpleasant [Big Grin] . We got back last night and made soup, consisting of vegetables, water, a bit of salt and Nothing Else, because we are that fooded out. Unfortunately we have to start again tomorrow [Biased] .

On the Saturday night we went to a concert of popular classics and British patriotic frivolity. Let it be known that I have photographic evidence of fiancé en rouge with a Union flag that he was waving merrily along to Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory [Smile] .

We also made the most of being in Birmingham to go the Jewellery Quarter to buy wedding rings. I am very chuffed. Partly it’s charming to get them from where I come from, but also because by getting them direct from the friendly Brummie suppliers I think we probably paid about 30% less than we would have done here. I swear we went in every single diamond shop in Birmingham before we found mine (my engagement ring is a funny shape).

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I took the Elf Lass to nursery in Glasgow, and we had freezing fog all the way from home (Stirling) to nursery. Glasgow was fogged out all day, and when I drove back it was a bit scary, as it was freezing fog in the dark. I'm hoping tomorrow won't be as foggy (when she goes to nursery again - mean mummy not keeping her off for the holidays, as she missed quite a few sessions over the last couple of months due to either her or TME being ill). Although I must confess it did look beautiful at times, both on the way there (we go the back way near the Trossachs national park) and in the city, watching parks and buildings loom out of the fog.

I took the chance to see some of the floral tributes piled up at the Gallery of Modern Art, where the pre-Christmas awful accident with the bin lorry happened. It was really very moving (I did shed a little tear) - not as mawkish as it could have been.

Today we're having a quieter day. I am full of cold (yuck), and my laptop is a little poorly (although somewhat less snotty). If I open it more than about 60 degrees the screen cuts out, so I have had to balance the front of the keyboard on a cardboard box to push the screen up a bit. I'm sure it's not doing very much good for my posture! TME is going to have a look at it later, but if he can't fix it then I might have to look at getting another. This one is 5 years old, so has already lasted longer than the previous one (which I dropped - not recommended as a strategy for longevity).

Boogie, that photo is absolutely brilliant! I think you should get it printed out large size and framed, it would make a super present.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apologies for the double post: la vie en rouge, you mentioning the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter reminded me that a few years ago we visited the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter which was really interesting - a real hidden gem (sorry, pun unintended in my head and only spotted when I typed it out!).

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love the Jewellery Quarter...my DH does not, for some reason...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I went to the Jewellery Quarter once, as you can get to it by train, which I thought would be a bit of an adventure. But all I saw were wholesalers' shops, many of which weren't open to members of the public.

Maybe I went to the wrong part of the Quarter, but I came away completely unimpressed and haven't been back since.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Darllenwr is from Stourbridge, and his mother took us to a shop in the Jewellry Quarter when I wanted something special as a rememberance for my grandfather - we've made a habit of buying something special out of any money bequethed to us - it's so easy for it to disappear into general expenses. Darllenwr had a guitar and his first computer (This is nearly 30 years ago), I had our first microwave and a very nice natural pearl, coral and gold bead necklace, which was made for me.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's a tad chilly here: -10° but feeling like -21 with the wind-chill, and with patches of treachery on the pavements.

The curate and his wife were having a drop-in party at their house this afternoon, so we called in for mulled wine, nibbles and chat. Afterwards we took a drive up Signal Hill and there was the remains of a wonderful sunset. It's amazing how soon after mid-winter the days start to get longer again - it was about 5:15 p.m., and at that time a week ago it would have been pitch dark.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My knowledge of The Jewellery Quarter comes from once frequent visits to the Indian Deputy High Commission when they still issued visas direct and I do remember a very fine greasy spoon just round the corner - I'd go to the High Commission, apply for my visa, go and have a fry-up and then go back and collect passport, etc. Now, in the interests of efficiency[?], the system has changed and it takes several days!

But the greasy spoon is highly recommended.

eta: the increased efficiency [sic] of the system has also increased the cost rather dramatically!

[ 31. December 2014, 01:06: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

My knowledge of the jewellery quarter is working there!

We lived in Birmingham while I was at university in London. I worked in a jewellery factory in the summer holidays.

(Very low end, charms etc - I spent a lot of time painting spots on ladybirds [Smile] )

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Jewellery Quarter isn’t all that much to look at from the outside, although as Jack says, the Museum is interesting. You also have to buzz the doorbell to get into a lot of the shops.

It’s true that a high proportion of the shops are wholesalers, especially on Vyse Street (there are more smaller shops on Warstone Lane). However, since they are making expensive items, most of them do sell retail, so if you want to buy an expensive item like a wedding ring you can make significant savings. You also have far more choice than elsewhere.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thought it was about time I posted something before this year vanishes and the Brit thread takes on another name! Hello! It's my fault for not being around much that I come along on new year's eve and think "Ooh, I like that one 'Keep Calm and Carry On'..." I will be intrigued to see what it becomes! (Visions of Wodders sweating over all the options out there! Ha!)
(Maybe I should get a 'keep calm and keep afloat' mug seeing as I've been neglectful over here!)

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to see you again Chelley, hope you're well.

I wonder if boots are available with a "Keep Calm and Carry on Marching" message? [Biased]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Chelley, great to see you!

As for thinking up things, I've given up thought long ago, far too much effort!

You have sneaked just under the wire as I'm closing this thread now then anyone who cares to do so can start the next British, etc. thread.

Happy New Year to all & sundry!!

WW - AS Host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  51  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016