homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  52  53  54 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Keep Calm and Carry On - the British thread 2014
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sort of assuming that this tangent is about avoiding Tesco's and Sainsbury's, but when we lived in Belfast it was quite a novelty when they moved in (it was part of the "peace dividend") - before that we only had very ordinary Co-ops, a one-off called Supermac, a local chain whose name now escapes me and Marks & Sparks (which was lovely but expensive).

There was a very good Tesco Metro (with a tiny but very well-stocked wine shop) which was about 10 minutes' walk from both D's and my work, and Sainsbury's was a 10-minute drive from our house. Also, when they first came to NI, Sainsbury's did Air Miles, and with clever shopping, having their credit card (double points) and buying our petrol there, we could get a trip to Orkney* once a year, which would have cost us anything from £600 to £800 if we'd had to pay for it.

* That was by far the most sensible way of using Air Miles - a short, but (per mile) expensive route.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There has recently been a slackening in the rules about Foreign Direct Investment in retail here and Tesco have inked an agreement with Tata Group, the people who make Land Rover and Jaguar, so we may be getting Tesco bursting out all over - I am not at all convinced that this is a good idea.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
Locations of office and home have meant, for the last x years, weekday shopping at Waitrose, main weekly shop at Sainsbury's

Then an Aldi shop opened just near Sainsbury's, and we found that Aldi food is much better quality than Sainsbury's so we do the bulk of the weekly shop there, just getting loose veg (which Aldi don't do, theirs is all prepacked)and a few other odds and sods from Sainsbury's.

Aldi's food and the Waitrose range are both excellent quality and even the latter is not what you'd call expensive. Between the two of them - theoretically at opposite ends of the spectrum - they do us proud.

Interesting, in the light of this discussion, that when the Christmas trading figures for the supermarket sector were released in the New Year, Aldi and Waitrose (as you say, theoretically at opposite ends of the spectrum) both showed growth, while the middle-ground retailers Morrisons and Tesco reported a drop in sales. I'm not sure how Sainsburys did.
Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Even when Sainsbury's do their 3 for £5 special offer,

That's not a special offer, that's the standard price at our local off licence.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, you've got a local off licence? I thought they'd all been killed by the big supermarket chains.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I start my shopping at Aldi, and anything I can't get there I buy at Waitrose but I'm not convinced I spend less at Aldi, and it seems I'm not the only one

[link coding corrected - WW]

[ 23. January 2014, 02:38: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great link daisydaisy - thanks!

Himself isn't well and even went to see the Dr last night, on his own! It seems to be a throat infection [man flu?] and he'll be right again in a few days. We've cancelled the order of wood for his cremation.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The haggis is made for the Vestry bash tomorrow; it just needs to be baked, and D's going to make the clapshot as near the time as possible, as it really needs to be served piping hot.

Poor Himself. [Frown] He needs some of your patent ginger-and-honey thingy. He's in good company; I've been getting the feeling over the last day or two that my office-mate has generously shared his aeroplane-flu with me, so I've taken a cold-remedy powder with lemon and honey* and will shortly go to bed.

[Snore]

* I would have put some whisky into it, but I used it in the haggis ...

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I start my shopping at Aldi, and anything I can't get there I buy at Waitrose but I'm not convinced I spend less at Aldi, and it seems I'm not the only one

[link coding corrected - WW]

[Killing me]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Wow, you've got a local off licence? I thought they'd all been killed by the big supermarket chains.

Three within a hundred yards of me. Booze is cheaper than in the supermarkets.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our village has an awarding winning local wine merchant who doesn't sell real ale and closes at 8pm. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have five quality wine merchants within a mile of us. It's all we can do to keep up.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Disappointed] seems the nearest we have to an "envy" smiley; in Newfoundland the Liquor Corporation is a government-run affair and all the wine shops stock pretty much the same stuff, so there's never much in the way of excitement. I miss nice, interesting off-licences.

Very enjoyable pot-luck at the Cathedral; about half of the haggis and nearly all the clapshot got eaten, which isn't bad considering how un-fond most Newfoundlanders are of lamb or things made from it.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And the Newfie version of clapshot shows up in the Newfoundland boiled dinner.

We once took a commercial haggis to a weekend Scout camp with about 50 troops from the USA and Eastern Ontario. It was relatively popular with those who ventured to try it - a fair proportion of kids from the USA blenched - but that left more for those of us - leaders and boys alike - who actually liked it.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Very enjoyable pot-luck at the Cathedral; about half of the haggis and nearly all the clapshot got eaten, which isn't bad considering how un-fond most Newfoundlanders are of lamb or things made from it.

Haggis is made of lamb? (as opposed to pork, beef etc).

I know it is, but if you aren't told, would you ever know??? It is, after all, a form of sausage and one should never ask what goes into a sausage (nor watch one being made).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My haggis is made from minced lamb and chicken livers (should have been lamb liver, but it's very hard to find) along with oats, an egg, an onion, lots of spices and a wee drop of whisky, but I make no claims whatsoever as to its authenticity; the recipe is adapted from one I found on the Interweb called "Americanised Haggis".

[Killing me]

Oh, and there's no sheep's stomach involved: it's baked in the oven like a meat-loaf. I told people last night to think of it as a Scottish meat-loaf ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're having a MacSween one. I actually have a MacSween veggie one too as I think that tastes even better, we'll have that next week.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marmite banned!

[Waterworks]

[Waterworks]

Care packages cheerfully accepted after May 1st.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I feel a letter to Her Maj coming up - Brits have an inalienable right to poison the Colonies!

The additives to Marmite™ are really nothing to worry about - it's the massive salt content that should raise eyebrows!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
And the Newfie version of clapshot shows up in the Newfoundland boiled dinner.

We once took a commercial haggis to a weekend Scout camp with about 50 troops from the USA and Eastern Ontario. It was relatively popular with those who ventured to try it - a fair proportion of kids from the USA blenched - but that left more for those of us - leaders and boys alike - who actually liked it.

I'll bet that had they not known what it was called/where the original came from/what the ingredients were it would have been wolfed down by any scouts I have ever come across.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My haggis is in the slow cooker [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course - it's Burns Night! I'd completely forgotten. [Roll Eyes]

Not a haggis fan, frankly. Just enjoying a glass of red wine with Mr Nen before bed.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Nenya

I knew there was a good reason to finish PhD working a while before I went to bed.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haggis, neeps and tatties in a Wetherspoon. Burns in London NW. And a decent glass or two of Auld Acquaintance Scottish Ale. Scots customs aren't all bad - though I failed in my attempt to read and comprehend the Address to a Haggis.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D. would agree with you, Pete173 - he reckons the Burns Supper would be fine if it weren't for the awful Burns poetry. He's contemplating the instigation of a McGonagall Day. [Big Grin]

I've had a moderately productive day - I made and froze a batch of chicken stock, and turned the chicken livers left over from the haggis production into pâté.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A few months ago two of our neighbours had babies. The other evening during our walk Pete and came across Mum 1 with little daughter on her knee, daughter clad in knickers and top so, at mum's request and agreement took a photo for her of her and baby. Mum 2 comes along, sees what is happening and [being hugely camera shy] plonks little son on Mum 1's other knee - he was clad in a rather short top and nothing else but I felt obliged to take a photo of Mum 1, Baby 1 & Baby 2.

Yesterday I took the photo in for printing full knowing that in UK I would run the risk of being arrested. When I returned to collect the prints not a word was said.

I also yesterday, in the post, received my letter from The Department of Work and Pensions telling me how much State Retirement Pension I will be due later in the year when I turn 65 - certainly enough to make our lives here a little easier.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
D. would agree with you, Pete173 - he reckons the Burns Supper would be fine if it weren't for the awful Burns poetry. He's contemplating the instigation of a McGonagall Day. [Big Grin]

How about the other McGonagall, combined with a general Dame Maggie Smith day when we can repeat her marvellous Downton lines?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was the wettest, stormiest walk evuur!

Tatze and I were the only people in the park. Thank goodness for waterproof trousers/gloves/hat/wellies! I think Tatze was grateful for her waterproof labrador fur too (they were originally bred as fisherman's retrievers). She still hoolied around - she just played with imaginary friends instead of real ones!

My mobile has decided there is 'no signal' - could this be due to the storms?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When 'No Signal' happens to me I take it as a sign that the phone has decided I have no mates.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our Burns' Night supper was modified by the replacement of the haggis by venison steaks. Neeps, tatties etc all present and correct and, for all we know, the venison could have been Scottish.

We deviated from the standard by drinking wine rather than Scotch.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saw pic. of one tonight - neeps, tatties and a sausage.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had haggis and sweet tatties. Not authentic, but there's not a drop of Scottish blood in the house so we were just going for what's tasty, washed down with a bottle of cider.

I'm very happy to celebrate other people's high days and holidays so long as there's food involved. Chinese noodles on Friday anyone?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We seem to have festivals all the time here, it's the advantage of a very mixed village with Hindu, Muslim and Christian living all mixed up together - I can send you our dates!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I can send you our dates ...

I don't like dates; can you send raisins instead? [Big Grin] **fetches coat**

We had some wet and wild weather here today too: it didn't start off too badly but by the time we got home after lunch it was chucking down freezing rain, blowing a gale and making the pavements treacherous.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a light dusting of snow today. Not for long, but was nice while it lasted. We need some winter here - all we have had so far is rain rain rain.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sunshine and (chilly) showers here...the sun is shining now, and showing me that I do need to clean the windows! But I probably won't...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thinking about cleaning windows is stressful enough without having to actually do it!

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
We seem to have festivals all the time here, it's the advantage of a very mixed village with Hindu, Muslim and Christian living all mixed up together - I can send you our dates!

Well I've got the rellies celebrating Kavadee at the moment which would be a good excuse, but sweet Indian cake takes a bit more organising.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

A good food day here, it's my eldest's 13th and I've made him a chocolate cake that look like the one in his Portal online game. I've also made bread, apricot Danishes and almond croissants so quite the baking day.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a very pleasant day so far...which is about to be spoiled by having to complete some statistical returns. Hey ho.
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am proud to announce I have managed my first ever on-line Tax Return all by myself, and all done and dusted before the deadline. Last time I had dealing with such things it was through an accountant, was paper based, and wrapped in mystery.

I am far less proud of the grumpy, uncommunicative, anti-social grouch I have been for more weeks than I like to think about, and finally ended up giving myself the most colossal talking to, and stern instructions to pull up my big girl panties and just deal with it. (I may need loads of prayer for patience with at least two people in the process).

Hopefully, normal Japes service has resumed. I was getting bored with myself!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
stern instructions to pull up my big girl panties and just deal with it.

I used the expression about putting on our big girl panties at work the other day; the woman I work with was completely nonplussed. [Killing me]

Well done about the tax return - Mr Nen does ours and talks me through mine... I have to work hard to stop my eyes glazing over... [Hot and Hormonal]

More rain today; feeling so sorry for the Somerset Levels and other flooded areas. [Frown]

Nen - rather weary of wind and rain.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

It's a brilliant phrase, isn't it - "Pull up your Big Girl Panties and Deal with It..."

I had forgotten it, and I need to do just that very thing in several areas at the moment (messy study/desk. statistical returns, expenses claims...some decisions to be made...)

But at the moment, it's high time this Big Girl went off to Bed. Night all!!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

My turn to be grouchy. I am having my maths lesson observed by the head tomorrow. I have not been singled out - he's a new head so doing the rounds. It feels uncomfortable + will take extra preparation, effort and time away from my normal teaching for Thursdays.

Grump grump grump [Mad] grump grump grump grump

I must now stop procrastinating and get on with preparing said lesson - humph!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I seem to be having a day of students phoning and colleagues finding me extra work to do.
Never mind, I'm still in a state of euphoria for having resigned my February course; no new students starting in 2 weeks, no overlap in courses to teach and the whole summer off [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was too annoyed to post here yesterday. I finally had confirmation that the phone I lost a week ago was indeed handed in at Bournemouth station that morning - from where the trail has gone cold. It hasn't been passed to the Lost Property people at Waterloo, and I have no idea whether I will see it again. Nor has the replacement Sim card arrived, so I can't buy a replacement handset because it won't count as an upgrade, it would have to be a new phone and number with compulsory top-up credit, £30 more expensive.

The Lost Property website, annoyingly, says it only takes 2 days for an item to reach them, though the staff say it can in practice take two weeks.

Yes, it's my own fault and I know it. Still, it is a First World Problem, and I can do Sudoku on the journeys.

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
It's a brilliant phrase, isn't it - "Pull up your Big Girl Panties and Deal with It..."

Indeed. Having to do that a lot at work at present. [Roll Eyes]

But the whole family is going out for a meal this evening to celebrate Nenlet1's birthday so not only do I not have to cook [Yipee] but we have a get-together and a good chat and a lovely meal with a glass of wine. [Big Grin]

Nen - diet starts tomorrow.

--------------------

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots more rain but today I have my waterproof boots which are fluffy inside, so warm and dry feet for me! No walking round or jumping over puddles, just walking straight through them! I've resisted the urge to jump in them so far...
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
We had a light dusting of snow today ...

We're getting quite a heavy dusting at the moment, which is why I'm posting at this time on a Wednesday evening, when I'd normally be at choir practice; D. decided to put off the rehearsal and have one on Saturday afternoon instead, as we've got a big service on Sunday for Candlemas.

This has been a bit of a b*ll*cks of a day; the snow was supposed to start at 11 a.m., but didn't start until about 1 p.m. The University was closed in the afternoon (after I'd finished for the day [Disappointed] ) and although we're due to get a total of about a foot of snow, it'll probably have stopped by the morning, so we won't get a snow-day tomorrow either.

Stuff that for a lark. [Mad]

[ 30. January 2014, 19:34: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can see snow falling...unhappily I don't suppose it will settle considering how sodden the ground is. And probably not serious enough to stop the trains. Bother.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  52  53  54 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016