homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weel done cutty sark! Scotland 2014 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Weel done cutty sark! Scotland 2014
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
If rain is a sign of God's judgement I dread to think what Scotland has done in the past!

Whatever it was was, it was worst in Eskdalemuir.

[ 04. February 2014, 15:39: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
If rain is a sign of God's judgement I dread to think what Scotland has done in the past!

Whatever it was was, it was worst in Eskdalemuir.
I live near Eskdalemuir. Den of iniquity, I tell you!

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee]

That is all.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
[Yipee]

That is all.

Yup yup yup yup yup yup yup!

If I was a little more out at work, I'd be running around telling everyone that my girlfriend was quoted by our MSP during the debate but it's all a bit new for that.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and I imagine my brother, a very homophobic "anti" pastor up there beyond the border, will be wailing and gnashing his teeth - such a shame I'm not there to soothe his fevered brow. I thought of e-mailing him but decided it would be rather counter-productive.

[Two face]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel you, WW. I have remained awfully silent toward my family on this one. It's pretty sad when something that has the potential to change one's life for the better isn't welcome to be shared with your nearest and dearest.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
always it shows us on the computer, "news" of Scotland, that it is always wet on the east side. How is it for you? Are the schools still being used every day as usual?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in Stirling (not exactly east, admittedly) it's been OK - it rained today, on and off, but nothing compared to England at the moment.

Had a mini-Scotmeet today as Surfing Madness came to visit. Cake was eaten.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's been steadily soggy here, with a bit of frost, but nothing alarming. My postcode means that I've officially been on "flood alert" a couple of times, in the last fortnight but I can't imagine that we would actually flood. We have a nearby children's playpark which is low-lying and designed to flood - it would hold a lot of water before it got to us.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

I don't think there's really been much disruption around here either. Lots of rain, but even that has been on and off. There was slushy hail this morning too, but a sliver or two of sunshine this afternoon. Seems dry now, but I've settled on tea from the chipper (forgot to defrost the meat for dinner) and now I'm rather looking forward to cosying up with the flat to myself.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to see The Great Tapestry of Scotland today. Loved it!
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you lot like and know Mull and Iona? My sister insists that we visit them in June this year - she has not been there but me and my husband both went there several times. Is it a good thing to get into the big tents just near when we go from Oban?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mull? Iona? Just go.

Along with Ardnamurchan and Ardgour and the small isles surely they make up the loveliest landscapes of Scotlland.

"Lochaber no more..."

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also they are where the hymn tunes come from :-)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

And we'll go on the train all night, up to Fort William and then get a bus down to Oban and get then across the river to Mull. I still haven't found exactly the place where they have lots of tents so we just can get into them and don't have to carry our ones.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Also they are where the hymn tunes come from :-)

There is a memorial to Mary MacDonald on Mull. I'd love to stand next to it, drinking in the scenery of Bunessan and hearing it sung.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like Iona best in the spring and late autumn. Not too crowded, and I like the cool weather. Spring can be incredibly beautiful, and if you go in October it takes most of the uncertainty out of whether or not you will be drenched to the skin. But it's beautiful rain!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Just in from seeing the Aurora. A friend 30 miles to the north posted on FB that the borealis were visible, so we drove a couple of miles into the country, away from lights and - there they were! Not particularly spectacular, no ripple effect, more of a fading in and out of green and rosy red.
Lovely!

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Some people are posting stunning pictures on FB - seems we missed the borealis at their best. But we were happy with what we saw.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This photo gallery in the Telegraph has some pretty spectacular photos of the aurora, some in Scotland and some as far south as Whitby.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were out late last night, but being in the city, could see only a clear and starry sky. But we saw them a few years ago over Edinburgh: not colourful (blue-white with touches of green) but extraordinarily mobile, with all sorts of shimmering and rippling going on.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several of my friends and acquaintances in Orkney have posted wonderful pictures on Facebook.

I've only ever seen them twice - once in Orkney and once in Iceland - but neither display had the colour ranges that seem to have happened the other night.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago [?early 90s?] I was staying with my dad in Sedbergh in the Yorkshire Dales and a neighbour called us out as they were visible all the way down there - mostly green but still spectacular.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bumped into NEQ in town (not literally) when I had my friends children with me. Afterwards one of them asked me if NEQ was one of my invisible friends?
Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Better invisible friends than imaginary friends.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I rather like the idea of being an "invisible" friend.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm planning a few days away with my friend and her teenage daughter (who is not a typical teenager.) We will be camping/ camper vaning. I was thinking maybe Aberdeen shire. Any thoughts of where to go, etc?
We like being fairly lazy in an active way (i.e will happily look at mountains, but will go for walk where it is flatish.) We are planning on going the week before Easter.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Are you planning staying at a single place, or moving around?

Deeside (Braemar area) is the most scenic, but Aberdeenshire is large - there are coastal villages and the Cairngorms. There are castles dotted round all of Aberdeenshire, and quite a few distilleries. Wandering around castle grounds probably fits in with your "flatish walks" plans.

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

I'll second NEQ's Deeside suggestion - there's a campsite with good facilities at Ballater and from there you can explore flat walks like Burn O'Vat and Loch Kinord. Also the cafes are rather good.

Also Castles. And distilleries. In Aberdeen itself, you'll just overlap with the tapestry of Scotland at the Art Gallery. I'll pop back with other suggestions as the muse strikes.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Aberdeen's Women's Trail was launched today, on International Women's Day. Takes about two hours. I totally recommend it!

I am blissed out having had a brilliant International Women's Day, which started at 3pm yesterday and just kept getting better.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I am thinking of attending the Elizabeth Melville Day service in St Giles on 21 June.

Elizabeth Melville's flagstone will be unveiled in the morning, and
"In the evening, in the High Kirk of St Giles, the choral ensemble Sang Scule will give a concert entitled Ane Mid-simmar Nichts Godlie Dreame, featuring all five of Melville's songs, embedded in a sequence of psalm-paraphrases by George Buchanan, Alexander Montgomerie and James Melville, post-Reformation church music by Lady Culross's contemporary Jhone Angus of Dunfermline, and framed by audience-sung metrical psalms - Ps.124 "Nou Israel may say", Ps.23 "The Lord is only my support" to the tune "Culross", and Ps.2, with all its warnings to the kings and judges of the earth. Texts and music will be provided!"

I really like the sound of this! Any other Shipmates interested? Maybe a possible Shipmeet?

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm afraid I won't be over the Pond until later in the year, but it sounds like rather a Good Thing. I'm a sucker for proper metrical psalms, complete with long notes at the start and incomprehensible syntax.

[Smile]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

It does sound great, and I know several other people who will be there. But it's a Saturday. And I live a two-hour drive away. It could be done, and it is very tempting, but Saturdays are really not good for me.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It certainly sounds interesting. I'd probably be up for a shipmeet afterwards anyway.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Exactly where is that? on Saturday in June...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

It's in St Giles Cathedral, in Edinburgh, daisymay.
The commemorative flagstone bit in the morning is at the Makars' Court, next to Lady Stair's House, just off the Royal Mile.

In the afternoon there will be "an afternoon conference discussing Melville and Scottish (and female) spirituality, chaired by Jamie Reid Baxter and punctuated by further readings from Melville's work by Gerda Stevenson (in two instances, in dialogue with Jamie Reid Baxter)."

I wasn't planning to go to that, but could be persuaded.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

We have booked at Ach-Na-Brae in Mull in the beginning of June, my sister and my daughter and her husband all together. It was really good to find somewhere to sleep in for a while! And we can visit Iona too quite close. I have been there a while ago often but the others have not !

Maybe another time I can visit Edinburgh where we have family and friends.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
It's in St Giles Cathedral, in Edinburgh, daisymay.
The commemorative flagstone bit in the morning is at the Makars' Court, next to Lady Stair's House, just off the Royal Mile.

The Makars' Court and Lady Stair's House together make one of my favourite places in Edinburgh: a lovely peaceful little corner just off the bustle of the Royal Mile. The flagstones are fascinating, with a mixture of familiar and new-to-me quotations. And the Writers' Museum in Lady Stair's House is excellent, and somehow the house decor survives too, and gives you a real insight into life in the 18th century. I love it. [Smile]
quote:
In the afternoon there will be "an afternoon conference discussing Melville and Scottish (and female) spirituality, chaired by Jamie Reid Baxter and punctuated by further readings from Melville's work by Gerda Stevenson (in two instances, in dialogue with Jamie Reid Baxter)."
I know Jamie via a friend - not well, but enough to have a wee blether when we meet in the National Library cafe. He is great fun, and very entertaining. He is also devoutly Orthodox, and his comment to my friend after meeting me for the first time was a whispered, "She's very Presbyterian, isn't she?" [Big Grin]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I've just booked the train to Glasgow all night, for us three, and also I was told that there might not be train to Oban, to get to Mull. I hope we get a train or we will have to get a car or a bus if that gets instead of the train.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

We decided against the camping, but I will be have a few days away to Ballater this month. I'm looking forward to it, as it's an area that I don't know at all.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Just back from a few days staying in Ballater. We were very fortunate with the weather. It has some beautiful scenery but I have to say I'm not sure my legs will want to talk to me for a few days.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

I was in Ballater last weekend providing a bit of a rent-a-crowd for a ceilidh. It is a lovely place, and one of the dance groups may be planning a camping weekend there towards the end of the summer.

The skies have been rather atmospherically darkening as our Holy Week services have progressed this week, even though the days have been fairly bright. Tonight we may find ourselves in very fitting darkness as we contemplate the crucifixion.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would anyone be up for an Edinburgh Shipmeet on Sunday 25 May? We've got Sunday 25 and some of Monday 26 May in Edinburgh before wandering off to see if we can visit some islands. 'Cos we didn't get to Mull at Christmas and want to make sure we do now.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

We're going to Mull at the beginning of June. It;s a lovely one,and also Iona. Have a great time there!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe I'm going to be in Edinburgh 25th May. I was just thinking a shipmeet would be a good idea. Presumably after church. Meet for lunch or after lunch?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh - that sounds good - yes, lunch time would be good. Daughter has "complicated" dietary requirements - she's gluten and dairy allergic / intolerant, plus a few other things.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Have a lovely time in Scotland over Easter!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in Ballater the week before for a wedding. I love the place and have been going every year since I was a baby as it is where part of my family are from originally.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Radio 6 are playing "Hoots Mon!"

JTYSK.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The coach to Oban from Glasgow is just as quick as the train, thought there are due to a be a lot more train journeys from May onwards. If you climb hills on the west side of Mull do wave at those of us on islands further out.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016