homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weel done cutty sark! Scotland 2014 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Weel done cutty sark! Scotland 2014
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Calling Piglet!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crikey! We went to the Ness when we were home in 2013, but they'd closed up for the season when we were over last month. It's a huge site, and they reckon it may extend for miles, under neighbouring fields.

Mmmm ... auroch steaks ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well spank me with a prize leek and call me Hamish!

I've tried several times over the years to find out what happened to a distant cousin who was supposed to have vanished on Ben Nevis, with no joy.

Having started again, I asked for advice yesterday and this morning the answer was in my inbox!

Poor beggar got lost in the hills above what is now Loch Cluanie, off the A87, in January 1960, and wasn't found until September 1962. I can't even begin to imagine what his mother must have been through, because the very day he went missing his father dropped dead of a heart attack. [Votive]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking for some advice. How easy is it to get to Aberdeen airport? I'm happy to drive, get the bus or train. Just looking at options at the moment.
Thanks

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where are you trying to get to Aberdeen airport from? If you're travelling from Aberdeen railway station it's fairly easy, as there are regular buses.

If you're driving up from Dundee, you go up the A90 to Aberdeen, round Anderson Drive and then head out of Aberdeen on the A96. The airport is well signposted from the A96. It's quite straightforward, but factor in traffic delays on Anderson Drive.

I think there's a shuttle bus from Dyce railway station to the airport, but I've never used it.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aberdeen railway station and Aberdeen main bus station are next to each other ( connected by a short mall of cafes and shops) so it's easy to reach Aberdeen by train, then switch over to a bus or vice versa.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... connected by a short mall of cafes and shops ...

Goodness - it's a long time since I've been in Aberdeen! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the old saying goes, if you are trying to got to Aberdeen Airport I wouldn't start from where you were thinking of starting from.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

It's totally different; a whole shopping mall has been squeezed in next to the railway station, with the bus station relocated slightly. It's Aberdeen's shiniest, most up-market mall, entirely soulless, and it's pulled more shops away from Union Street, which is becoming steadily sorrier-looking.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

To clarify:

quote:
a short mall of cafes and shops
Union Square mall itself is huge, but the connecting section between railway and bus station is at the narrowest bit of the mall.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... it's pulled more shops away from Union Street, which is becoming steadily sorrier-looking.

That's sad. When I lived in Aberdeen (early 1980s) Union Street was a really nice place to go shopping, especially for a peasant from the sticks like me. [Big Grin]

It seems to be the fate of some city-centre "high streets"; many of the shops in downtown St. John's are just tourist-traps selling chunky hats and fluffy puffins.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Union Street should be Aberdeen's main shopping street - it's unique to Aberdeen and visually stunning. However, it's increasingly being taken over by building societies and other non-shops, plus charity shops and, currently, three different pound shops. Aberdeen Council's answer to this is to propose a fifth glass-and-metal box shopping mall, this time on Upperkirkgate / Broad street (shudder).
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Aberdeen City Council should visit Colchester. It has a High Street with no shops, because they're all in the shopping centres. It's very odd, and not a little miserable.

AG

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Aberdeen City Council should visit Colchester. It has a High Street with no shops, because they're all in the shopping centres. It's very odd, and not a little miserable.

AG

That sounds a lot like Newport. Brand new bus station but so little town left now thanks to out of town shopping. About one-third of shops are unoccupied, even by charities or poundshops.

A new shopping centre is being built (mostly on the site of the old bus station) but the best that can be hoped for is that some stores move back to the town centre.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Colchester ... has a High Street with no shops ...

Oh I don't know - I went shopping there when we were home visiting D's mum in September. There's still Williams & Griffin (traditional Jenners-type department store), and Debenhams, Marks & Sparks and H&M all have entrances on the high street (although their postal addresses are in Culver Square, which is a sort of open courtyard with shops on all sides).

It's not quite Princes Street (or even Union Street as I remember it), but it's a lot better than anything we've got in Newfoundland. [Smile]

eta: Now I think about it, if you want a decent high street, you could do a lot worse than Belfast - when we lived there Royal Avenue/Donegall Place was a really not bad place to shop, with most of the usual high street suspects (some of them in a covered shopping centre called Castle Court located about half-way up the street) and a very good Tesco Metro.

[ 29. October 2014, 01:54: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have fond memories of shopping in downtown Belfast.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I prefer shopping in my own wee village where the garage sells everything from tractors to insoles via gardening, camping, cycling, decorating and household. And we have a shop. I can cycle to the newest, poshest deli around from here too.

Cattyish, living in the posh sticks.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How dark is now? I remember when going to school (in Blairgowrie) it was very dark. It did get different, not dark then, when we played at lunchtime at school outside.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Having grown up in Orkney I was used to going to (and coming from) school in the dark. It was more than compensated for by the long days in the summer.

[Smile]

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

It's totally different; a whole shopping mall has been squeezed in next to the railway station, with the bus station relocated slightly. It's Aberdeen's shiniest, most up-market mall, entirely soulless, and it's pulled more shops away from Union Street, which is becoming steadily sorrier-looking.
I was shocked, shocked I tell you when I got off the train in Aberdeen in April. I was waiting to be picked up and I was expecting the usual mingingness you used to get hanging around there but lo a shiny new shopping centre. On the way back I popped into Nandos before I got my train and was told they'd run out of chips. How?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bit like one occasion when we stopped at KFC to be told they had no chicken.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I really don't know how they can find an adequate excuse for that. [Ultra confused]

I remember a local restaurant (which was normally very good) losing hundreds of points on the D. and Piglet Scale because they ran out of potatoes.

There's a late-opening deli/mini-market a couple of blocks along the street from them, and at least one 24/7 supermarket within 10 minutes' drive - couldn't they have gone and got some?

IIRC D. was on the point of offering to go and get some ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
It's a bit like one occasion when we stopped at KFC to be told they had no chicken.

Why should the absence of chicken stop them? I have had some very odd shaped pieces of chicken at KFC and the like.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Today has been the epitome of dreich. There wasn't enough light during the day for our garden solar lights to as much as flicker on come dusk.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Now that really is dreich, NEQ. We're having moderately silly weather at the moment: today it didn't get above 2°C and we had what a friend calls "fat rain"* most of the afternoon.

Tomorrow we're forecast to get ordinary rain (lots) and a temperature of 14°C.

[Confused]

* soft, white rain/snow mix that doesn't lie; anything to avoid using the word "snow".

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What is it today ? We've been shown about lots of white ones. I also remember being a child when we played with the white ones on the ground.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

This evening I went to the Scottish Kirk in London and it is really excellent and nice people.

Today we had bread and wine ! We do not have it every week.

And we have tea and coffee after it finishes praying and singing. It was nice and also something sweet to eat.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Was that St. Columba's, Pont Street, Daisymay? Andrea Price, one of the clergy there, and her husband are friends of ours from Orkney.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

It is Crown Court Church, at Russel Street, Covent Garden. The man in charge is Reverend Philip Majcher. he's very good.

They have a Coral singing at Trafalgar Square on Saturday 20. I might get along on 5pm to see and hear it.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Yoohoooo! Piglet!

It's a Sunday this year... If it's clear, I might try and catch the sunrise here, just to mark the days beginning to lengthen. The Kirkwall time is 9.05 am - perfect, can watch it on the webcam before ringing for service!

AG
(thinking of breaking out the mankini)

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I'm an eejit, it's the sunset at Maes Howe!

AG

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The winter days are short up there. So, not much difference in time between sunrise and sunset.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Six hours and 11 minutes. Can you tell I looked it up?

AG

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Yoohoooo! Piglet!

Thanks for posting that, Sandemaniac - 9 o'clock in the morning in Kirkwall is 5:30 here, so I'll probably still be tucked up in bed, but I suspect that pictures will probably appear on the "Orkney Past and Present" group on Facebook (if you're on FB, you should join it - people post some absolute stunners of photographs).

[Smile]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Today I went to Trafalgar Square as the www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk as Scottish one, was doing the singing this evening.

I had the papers to sing also and they were always about God and one was "Unto us Born a Son."

It was a really lovely time to be there with them. We had 15 songs and bits of speaking by them. There were hundreds of people to be listening and being feeling of God.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I love Unto us is born a son, Daisymay - in fact I'd go as far as to say it's my favourite Christmas carol.

Glad you enjoyed it. [Smile]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I enjoyed that one and the others too.
We sang "Away in a manger: and it had "I love thee, Lord Jesus!" "Be near me Lord Jesus, and love me I pray."

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year!

In keeping with Ship tradition old regional threads die on the last of the year and then new threads appear when anyone so minded starts the next.

I'll miss this thread but I'm sure a sooper-dooper new thread will soon takes its place.

Go to it, Shipmates.

WW - AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016