homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr Hughes, my Rugby and Maths teacher from 1979 to 1981. Because you're the only person I've ever vicerally hated in my life, and because I still hate you now, and because you shouldn't be able to make me even remember you after thirty years.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH causes on social media.

If I want to hear the news I'll turn on the TV. Social media should be about YOU.

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

If I want to hear the news I'll turn on the TV. Social media should be about YOU.

Bollocks. Social media should be about ME.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICT the deepest circle of H the vile, evil-minded scumbags who created the "ransom" virus that infected my computer at w*rk and made virtually all my files disappear into the ether, with no chance of recovery unless they are given money, which my bosses aren't going to give them.

Dream on, scumbags - it's not going to happen. [Mad]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Bollocks. Social media should be about ME.
Fine. Even YOU would be better than causes. [Razz]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH nose-hair.

Now let's be clear I'm hirsute and have been shaving, plucking and mowing with various machines since the age of 13.

I got it from my Dad, the monkey, whose hair & beard I cut and trimmed not last week. I noticed that he had hair all over his face and I thought "Ah Well he is in his 80'."

Also I am utterly used to nose hairs on the INSIDE of my nose but today at the age of 51 I found one on the side / outside.

If anyone is looking for me I will be out searching for a quiet place to slip gently from this mortal coil. Sigh.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Also I am utterly used to nose hairs on the INSIDE of my nose but today at the age of 51 I found one on the side / outside.

You haven't lived until that sore patch on the end of your nose coalesces over the course of a month into a livid, painful mass. Which, because you can't stand it any more, you stab with a needle, and out bursts an unspeakably long, tough hair that looks for all the world like it's grown from the inside, out, through the lining of your nose on its way to freedom.

Just sayin'

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I thought it was bad enough when the testosterone started to beat the female hormones and the odd bristles on my chin turned out to be long enough, when tweezed out, to have grown through from inside my mouth. Which they haven't. Is there some quantum wormhole down a follicle that should be in that skin diagram one does in secondary school biology?
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Which they haven't.

Are you sure? ARE YOU SURE?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha - I would be able to feel them, wouldn't I? Given that the tongue feels a poppy seed as if it were one of those great stone balls rolling through a tomb in Indiana Jones.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

If anyone is looking for me I will be out searching for a quiet place to slip gently from this mortal coil. Sigh.

Receding hairline gives precedence to moving hairline?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the ear hairs that bother me the most.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the Jim Clark rally.

Noisy, disruptive waste of petrol.

And they don't even publish an online map of which roads will be closed when.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps not as simple as one would think. Given those facts the roads closed might have very little to do with the roads that were supposed to be closed due to the event.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Mr Hughes, my Rugby and Maths teacher from 1979 to 1981. Because you're the only person I've ever vicerally hated in my life, and because I still hate you now, and because you shouldn't be able to make me even remember you after thirty years.

My maths teacher was only a drunk. I have no problem with that.

It was the head teacher who beat me so severely I pissed myself and had nightmares about 35 years later I have a problem with.

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In light of this accident it deserves to be CTH even more. I posted before I knew about it - in previous years you could download a map showing what the closures would be; this year they generously offered a programme for £5.

Maybe these spectator deaths will mean this year is the last ever. Frankly I hope so, though I would rather that price hadn't been paid.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH whatever gremlin is causing the bath overflow water to come out of the central light fitting in my sitting room - the bathroom floor is bone dry ...

&£??&)@?@@&(&;;,?&£?<€>~%#|%#~$<*%|%%\€><$^<€>?'!!!!!!!!!

Is my last word on the subject.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
TICTH whatever gremlin is causing the bath overflow water to come out of the central light fitting in my sitting room - the bathroom floor is bone dry ...

/tangent

Water supply/CH pipe under bathroom floor?

tangent/

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I'll be having the plumber out Monday, yay [Frown]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Water was coming out of the light fixture in my bedroom ceiling during heavy rains. The builder came over, went up on the roof and twisted a doo hickey. It's been fine ever since. So maybe it's naught to do with the bath.

Twilight's DIY advice.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a downstairs neighbour who had water come through her light fitting. She "knew" that we must be letting our bath overflow, despite being invited into our flat to inspect our dry bathroom floor. She didn't see any reason to call out a plumber as she "knew" it was us, and thought if she complained to us often enough and loudly enough the problem would go away.

Sigh.

In the end it was something bizarre - the slate next to her TV aerial had slipped and water was tracking down it, neatly skirting round our flat, and coming through her light fitting.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Water getting into light fixtures can start a fire. A local natural foods store was destroyed that way a few years ago.

This definitely needs to be checked out.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

TICTH myself, for not reading my home insurance policy and seeing it has a rescue service I could have called out on Sunday - instead of having to take an annual leave day.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had that the other week. I had water gushing out of the extractor fan in the bathroom. We found one piece of rotten flex-piping underneath the sink of the upstairs neighbours which has been replaced.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, lovely. That'll be enough "that water is in an odd place" stories for now, unless you want me to supply you with an excruciatingly long and detailed account of the great New Year's Eve 2006 hailstorm. Or go start a dedicated thread on matters residential and aquatic.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Measure the doorways before buying a major appliance like a fridge. Particularly after hauling it 400 km. A friendly tip from Satan.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
TICTH myself, for not reading my home insurance policy and seeing it has a rescue service I could have called out on Sunday - instead of having to take an annual leave day.

Aaaaaargh !!! Waited in all day for plunber - he arrives at 19:45 pm - diagnoses a repair (for which he does not have a part), then tells me insurance doesn't cover either checking the electrics or fixing the problem cos I could use the shower instead of the bath (assuming he is right about the cause of the problem.). Oh, and he can give me a quote.

Fine so can he come back at a specific time to do the repair if I accept the quote ? No - only morning or afternoon.

Well, that was a complete and total fucking waste of time.

I could just have called out the guy who fitted the damn thing in the first place, who would have known what sodding part to bring and turned up at a specified time.

(Will ring up and rant at insurance company later.)

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH fat pictures in the media. For always being of women, and always, always, always, cutting off the face.

Look at any popular news article dealing with the subject of obesity. It doesn't matter what the slant on the article is, the pic will always show a faceless woman's butt or stomach. Never, ever, ever men. [Mad]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seems about equal to me. I don't see why we need pictures at all. I know what fat looks like.
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Seems about equal to me. I don't see why we need pictures at all. I know what fat looks like.

Online news is full of fairly pointless pictures. Any time someone is attacked, we are treated to a few photos of some cops and paramedics standing around an ambulance. It's a visual thing - nobody wants to just put up a big block of text, but for stories that are about trends and concepts rather than individual people or places, there's no obvious need for a photo, so we get a couple of filler stock photos.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Twilight, that is seriously the only male photo I have ever seen used. And LC, sure they're stock photos--but some jerks are choosing the female ones by a huge margin IMNSHE. I darkly suspect it's because fat women are considered more visually disgusting.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This ghastly, ghastly idea along with anyone from any church who participates.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:

I wouldn't condemn anyone desperate enough to try it. I would just feel sorry for them.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I think the people being condemned to Hell are the church members who would do such a thing to their unwitting fellow Christians--on TV.

--------------------

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I think the people being condemned to Hell are the church members who would do such a thing to their unwitting fellow Christians--on TV.

Quite. The point of the show is that the ones being set up for dates aren't aware of it. This does nothing for the genuinely lonely, and it makes those single-and-happy-with-it bachelors and bachelorettes within the church the legitimate target of every interfering, compulsive wannabe-Emma matchmaker who is secretly hankering for a front row seat at the wedding.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And the website bypasses my popup blocker!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sod bolts from the blue. I don't need any more thanks. I've got a collection already, you want them back?
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Do you think it will include single gay Christians?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
quote:

Do you think it will include single gay Christians?
It will almost certainly include closeted single gay Christians, yes. Which is just one aspect of why it deserves to be down here in Hell. Almost, it seems, to the point of generating its own thread don't you think?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoever tried to jack my Facebook account in Tacoma, WA today.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm on the threshold of calling GEICO* to hell. I canceled my motorcycle policy two weeks ago after I sold the bike. GEICO said I'd be getting a refund of the policy premium (or part of it), but as of today the credit still hasn't appeared. I called GEICO and they said it had been posted "just today". Hey, that was two days ago. I won't hold my breath -- and I won't buy any more insurance from them either.

* For the benefit of our overseas friends, an insurance company that uses an animated anthropomorphic talking lizard with a Cockney accent (well, a gecko (GEICO, gecko, get it?)) to advertise its low rates and allegedly speedy service.

[ 07. June 2014, 15:54: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Whatever stopped me dropping off to sleep properly last night, and then woke me to a state when I didn't even do that "I know I haven't been asleep, how come it's 3 when it was 12 a few minutes ago" thing, before 3, so I had to make camomile tea - didn't work - make a sandwich, read, listen to non-stop D-Day.... and the dawn chorus. One blackbird at the front of the house. One blackbird at the back of the house. (Could at least have had a proper chorus.)
I've spent the week getting over the last bout, and now I'm heading for another.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Today I condemn to hell "Anne & Ian" who, in spite of the note they sent through the door last week, have not kept the noise level of their party to a respectable level, which is why I am wide awake at nearly 1am, having first tried to go to bed 2 hours ago.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Oh boy, that is bad. Been there, had that. Even from the one flat in the block that had no direct connection with mine. I came to the conclusion that it was like levels of chilli. They don't realise it isn't reasonable. They've knocked out half their hair cells. It doesn't help, though.

Some can be very apologetic afterwards, when met with a raised eyebrow and the comment "Good party last night, then?" Others will take it as a challenge for next time.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The time it takes for that sleepless night to be recovered from. Today I should have been able to go to Meeting, and then, this evening to a folk singaround. Haven't been able to. And on Friday, my friend and I had arranged the weekend so that I could, while he went to a party yesterday (these happen regularly, and mess up our usual Saturdays, which give me late nights so no Meeting.) So negative, for me, all round.
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

The council gave them a warning at about 4am, so I was finally able to go to bed. Though by that time, the sun was coming up. Struggling to stay awake now.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a minor one. The heat. Just shy of 99F (37C) at the highest today. No AC in the house. Dashing from shadow to shadow when walking earlier.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the level of service a certain parcel services think is adequate for my flat.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Texas Republicans.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016