homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
TICTH Luis Suarez. The man should be banned from football. How is biting your opponent, in front of a billion people no less, remotely acceptable?

Someone on Twitter (presumably American) said "Who cares about Suarez biting someone? Our football players murder people."

I kind of got a kick out of that.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH people who constantly "micromanage" other people's work (especially volunteer work) at the church, and not in an affirming and constructive way.

Scare quotes because they aren't actually the people who are charged with overseeing that particular work. They're just complainy busybodies.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wilkinson Sword's TV advert: allegedly celebrating spontaneity, but actually telling you can't take your clothes off and jump in the pool at a party unless you are "beach ready .... down there". Fuckwits.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May they fall on their own swords, QLib.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH members of the Ordinariate who KEEP bleating on about those clergy who despite espousing similar beliefs to you (on blogs, at meeting and in drinks) in the LONG run up to the leap of faith didn't jump.

Go find a shit ton of wood, build yourselves a bridge and get over it.

If they were going to come they would have come by now. Your constant sniping, cajoling, whispering, pleading and threatening just make you look pathetic. Some of you are reasonably clever and certainly can turn a word but you can't hide the bitter heart of your felt betrayal.

As an aside you are breaking the hearts of some who despite wanting to come with you CAN'T because what has gone on in their lives before.

Everyone I know is very happy for you, you have found your home. Everyone acknowledges it was an April shower of departure rather than the hoped for (by you) deluge. But it is over. You have got all you are getting, if you feel the need for more numbers to stave of your assimilation into the Borg then go and do some mission FFS and stop writing stupid letters, blogs and articles that just make you sound like whiney adolescents whose friends won't join their new gang.

Sigh.

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
TICTH members of the Ordinariate who KEEP bleating on about those clergy who despite espousing similar beliefs to you (on blogs, at meeting and in drinks) in the LONG run up to the leap of faith didn't jump.

Go find a shit ton of wood, build yourselves a bridge and get over it.

If they were going to come they would have come by now. Your constant sniping, cajoling, whispering, pleading and threatening just make you look pathetic. Some of you are reasonably clever and certainly can turn a word but you can't hide the bitter heart of your felt betrayal.

As an aside you are breaking the hearts of some who despite wanting to come with you CAN'T because what has gone on in their lives before.

Everyone I know is very happy for you, you have found your home. Everyone acknowledges it was an April shower of departure rather than the hoped for (by you) deluge. But it is over. You have got all you are getting, if you feel the need for more numbers to stave of your assimilation into the Borg then go and do some mission FFS and stop writing stupid letters, blogs and articles that just make you sound like whiney adolescents whose friends won't join their new gang.

Sigh.

Pyx_e

The least you could do is to have the honesty to name Msgr Broadhurst and Fr Hunwicke as the targets of your ire rather than hide behind oblique references to certain blogs and certain letters.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
CL firstly my understanding of ship policy is we are not encouraged to allow/create inter board ructions. So I have not named names, it is all out there to read, I'm not going to make it easy for you or hard for the ship.

Secondly, you ought not to mention words like "honesty."

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pyx_e

As a member of the Ordinariate I am so with you. I don't understand people looking back. You've made your decision, move forward, meld into the church you've joined, learn the intricacies of Catholicism. Stop looking over your shoulder and sticking out your tongue. It makes you look like someone who is still trying to convince yourself that you're doing the right thing. People are not stupid and will make up their minds on the basis of their own personal situation and relationship with God. Having someone come across as a self satisfied wanker is not going to change anything.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Except perhaps confirm your decision to stay in The One True Church™

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
... complainy busybodies ...

Every church has complainy busybodies: they're the people who make sure that everybody knows just how much volunteering they do.

Whether the churches could function without them is probably worthy of the dissertation for a Ph.D. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pedestrians who can't wait the couple of minutes it takes for the pelican crossing to change, but must dash across in front of the cyclist who has just built up a nice load of momentum. And talking on your phone at the same time [Mad]

--------------------
Less is more ...

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH a bloke called Claude Michy for confirming, by suggesting that a woman was irrational, exactly why said woman found him impossible to work with.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH passive aggressive fuckwits who think the world revolves around them and send me snarky emails the morning after I've been up most of the night Doing My Bit.[1]

If you don't get involved, you don't talk to me, and you don't ever, ever, ever volunteer to help in a particular area, how the flippity flipping flop am I supposed to know that you would have liked to have been included in a circular about something that SOMEONE ELSE is organising and which YOU NOW KNOW ABOUT ANYWAY, IN PLENTY OF TIME.

And why on earth would the church maintain a comprehensive list of every skill, hobby and interest its attendees lay claim to, just in case it ever proves useful? We're not the bloody NSA[2].

And why the hell am I having to give you info when you've spoken to the person who's ACTUALLY organising it?

Bloody narcissists.

[1]OK, you couldn't have known, but this isn't about being reasonable

[2]Although sometimes one could be forgiven ...

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
TICTH a bloke called Claude Michy for confirming, by suggesting that a woman was irrational, exactly why said woman found him impossible to work with.

"She's a woman so it could be down to any number of things … it's an astonishing, irrational and incomprehensible decision. She's developed a confidence problem, but I don't know what it was that caused this."

That's hysterically, tragically misogynistic! [Eek!]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH certain former female friends for being stupid, selfish, spoiled sluts who can't seem to stop lying.

And TICTH certain men for making me so afraid of how something is going to be interpreted that I'm afraid to act. I'd like to do the decent honorable thing right now, but you people are all fucking crazy up there.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The sort of person who moves in to a project someone else has started, and is their livelihood, with the pretence of support, alienates the supporters of the founder, and ejects them, leaving them with very little, and themselves with a profit.

I know of three now. The first lost their case in court. The second completely failed with the project (unless their aim was to run a tax scam and money laundering) leaving bits of it scattered about and removed from the founder. What will happen in the case of the third is up in the air at the moment. Ah, I recall a fourth, in our Meeting, who had his business moved in upon.

And I am fuming with no prospect of having anything useful to do when someone already vulnerable through illness is well and truly kicked while he is down.

How do these ******* (substitute suitable plural noun, possibly from Klingon) live with themselves?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe trying this aloud in the relevant places, to the relevant people ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the moment, I am bound by the wishes of the victim, who taking advice. When the bonds are loosened, then things will be said and done, and not just by me.

But it does seem to be a general problem, as well. It should be possible to identify these people in advance. (A friend did, in this case, but was not believed as he had no evidence for his antennae twitch.)

[ 29. June 2014, 17:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I get home, I'm cutting up my old Rolf Harris t-shirt. Haven't worn it in months, but now that he's been found guilty, I can see no reason for that t-shirt to continue in existence. He's a man who did evil.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
When I get home, I'm cutting up my old Rolf Harris t-shirt. Haven't worn it in months, but now that he's been found guilty, I can see no reason for that t-shirt to continue in existence. He's a man who did evil.

Are you going to scream "Can you tell what it is yet? Can you?? CAN YOU???" as you do it?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
Are you going to scream "Can you tell what it is yet? Can you?? CAN YOU???" as you do it?

The spontaneous and embarrasingy hard to explain giggle at work that got out of me is definitely worth a call to heck at the very least, EM!

AG

PS Usual comments on your sig. [Snigger] OK, love-in over, time to get hellish again.

[ 30. June 2014, 15:42: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Hobby Fucking Lobby. [Mad]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ruth W has given this it's own thread
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the thoroughly stupid middle-aged blonde woman who, this morning:

approaching traffic light 1, zoomed up behind a van, than abruptly switched lanes to tailgate me while I was slowing down because the light was red and I had the nounce to look a hundred metres up the road and see it was red;

approaching traffic light 2, swerved out from behind me so that she could accelerate off at a great pace, even though the light was red at the time and there were cars waiting at the lights (so that when the light switched to green, she had to slow down anyway because those cars were taking off from 0 km/h, not her 90 km/h);

at traffic light 3, several kilometres down the road from where I first encountered her grand prix-inspired behaviour, ended up one car-length BEHIND me in the neighbouring lane. A more perfect demonstration of the sheer pointlessness of driving in traffic in a manner that endangers lives, I could not have wished for.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the men - and they were all men - who decided they had the right to comment on what my daughter wore when she went into town shopping, and made her so uncomfortable that she felt she had to buy a skirt to change into.

FFS, the problem is with your mind, not her legs. Unless you are an actual police officer who has reason to believe she's outraging the public decency, then your choices are going home or shutting the fuck up. And if you ever, ever, try this on her when I'm out with her, I will make such a public spectacle of you that your already microscopic penis will require all the facilities of CERN to find it again.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH system developers. Get off your bloody high horse. Once I've written the specifications, told you the inputs and shown you what the outputs need to look like, it is not up to you to decide that the outputs need to exclude data you don't like. Don't act all surprised that when I test the system I complain that there's data missing.

If you want to design a system from scratch, then do it in your own time. If you get given a clear set of step-by-step instructions then learn to bloody well follow them. You're not the one using the data so don't presume you know how it ought to look. You already wasted weeks building a fancy widget that wasn't on the design spec and won't be used by anyone.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
TICTH the men - and they were all men - who decided they had the right to comment on what my daughter wore when she went into town shopping, and made her so uncomfortable that she felt she had to buy a skirt to change into.

FFS, the problem is with your mind, not her legs. Unless you are an actual police officer who has reason to believe she's outraging the public decency, then your choices are going home or shutting the fuck up. And if you ever, ever, try this on her when I'm out with her, I will make such a public spectacle of you that your already microscopic penis will require all the facilities of CERN to find it again.

YES.

and I hope you had a good version of that rant RIGHT IN FRONT of her so she knows it was their fault and not hers and papa has her back.

raise hell, papa!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
and I hope you had a good version of that rant RIGHT IN FRONT of her so she knows it was their fault and not hers and papa has her back.

Damn right.

"It's fine..."
"It's not bloody fine. I'm furious."
etc, repeat to fade.

The thing is, I know they wouldn't have tried it if I'd been there with her, but go on, pick on the girl out on her own, you bastards.

Still furious.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the stupid sexist nincompoop who told a group of women that they shouldn't do the task they were doing successfully, and called on some men to take over.

Sexist nincompoop also thought it would be ok to remove the structural supports from something, because Artistic Froo-Froo Blather. Mr. Otter put the supports right back, because I wasn't there to bludgeon her with them first.

[ 01. July 2014, 20:03: Message edited by: Otter ]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And the bonds are off! Anyone use West Dulwich station?
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
And the bonds are off! Anyone use West Dulwich station?

West? I'm not that rich. East Dulwich for me.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Oh come on, haven't you seen the estates off Croxted Road south of the South Circular? It's more mixed than you think.
(Fun can be had making up areas of London that don't exist. Such as East Norwood, North Dulwich...)
Anyway, there is a good social project just outside West Dulwich station worthy of support.

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Job Interviews. I hates them.

Waiting for the result is fine as I have, in ego-protetion mode, usually already convinced myself I don't want the job anyway!

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

quote:
(Fun can be had making up areas of London that don't exist. Such as East Norwood, North Dulwich...)

Erm...I passed North Dulwich this morning. I might use Peckham Hill instead.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hotmail - every time they 'improve' it, something goes wrong.

Currently, I seem to have lost 10 years of backed up files in OneDrive, formerly Skydrive.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
quote:

I know there's a station, but I checked before writing, and various sites say there is no area of that name. But maybe a bad choice. Is there a North Peckham?
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the e-learning system at work, which insists that I do not have a user ID on it. I could understand needing to re-set my password, as I haven't had to do an online course since 2011, but deleting the ID is unexpected. [Mad]

Especially as I'm meant to do this module before a training course at the end of next week, which I got back from holiday on Monday to discover I'd been allocated to. The boss is chasing up Training to find out what's happened to my account...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Listen, sunshine, if you want me to make a donation to your charity, do not step deliberately in my path just in front of the ticket barriers at the railway station when I have barely 3 minutes left to get through, sprint up and down flights of steps and across bridges to the other side and into a train.

And emphatically DO NOT ask "Can I borrow you?" I realize this is a gambit designed to provoke a response, but the only response you'll get will be me snarling "No you bloody can't. I'm not an item in a library and nobody owns me. And use proper grammar next time and meanwhile move yourself, you infuriating idiot."

And even if I did have time I absolutely would not sign up to a standing order giving you a double figure sum every month.

orfeo

# 13878

TICTH the local eatery (same disorganised one as previously mentions) that drowns its pasta dishes in so much sauce, they require drainage before consumption.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The hellbound putsch person and his minion have shown themselves to be capable only of expelling the founder of the scheme, with the base*, and the name, and the web presence, and the contacts, and the goodwill; while being utterly incapable of running anything more complex than putting a paper bag in a bin. This includes not knowing that you can't earn money while on JSA, and not insisting on H&S while carrying out volunteer horticultural work with students.
Hardly worth making someone else's life hellish. Hopefully the scheme will keep going without them.
*at that station.

[ 03. July 2014, 08:43: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rapists. (Today I've read the most harrowing piece written by a young man who was drugged and repeatedly raped by someone he thought he was about to begin a relationship with [Waterworks] )

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the flytippers who have dumped piles of their crap on the alley of my road. Everyone else either goes to the cowp or puts it out for the binmen but no, you're so important you don't need to, you can just dump it anywhere you want.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

"cowp"?
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"flytippers?"
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cowp: Rubbish dump. Usually run by the local municipality, providing large skips for people to deposit their rubbish in, and these days also separate places for recyclables. I don't know where chive is from, but I think of it as a Scots word.
Used when householders have old furniture, DIY waste, or other things that don't fit in their roadside bin.

Flytippers: people who can't be bothered to haul their rubbish to the cowp, but find a convenient scenic country lane or farm gate, and fill it with old mattresses, bottles and rubble. May well be more common where municipal dumps charge for access.

Hence, they tip on the fly.

[ 03. July 2014, 19:25: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Ramadan driving. When Ramadan first came about the fastest thing people were driving was a camel. Now when they have been up all night, have low blood sugar, are dehydrated after a day in upper 30's heat with no drink, and have nicotine and caffeine withdrawal they get behind the wheel of vehicles of various sizes and attempt to drive on the road. Concentration and judgement is definitely impaired in this situation. As proved by the guy who just drifted sideways into our car with his yesterday, denting and scraping all down the doors on one side. Oh well, at least it was no worse than that...

Edited to add that I live in an Arab country so we are talking about most of the drivers on the road....

[ 04. July 2014, 09:08: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks LC. (Like the moniker, BTW. I like to use words from the AS dictionary myself.)

My usage in the SE of England is "dump" or "tip". I'd like to know the derivation of cowp, though. (The meaning is what I thought it was.)

There a notice round here "FLY TIPPERS WILL BE PROSECUTED" which brought to the inner eye a truck slanting up and depositing a buzzing crowd of bluebottles.

The worst flytipping I've seen was when Bromley for some reason left unlocked the gates to the old caravan site on the site of the Crystal Palace, and within twenty minutes there wasa stream of lorries leaving building rubble which, from the heading on some of the paperwork in it, came from Dickens and Jones. (Difficult to report it, as we shouldn't have been there reading it.)

[ 04. July 2014, 10:30: Message edited by: Penny S ]

orfeo

# 13878

TICTH Philip Nitschke. Either you're a doctor or you're not.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know there's a station, but I checked before writing, and various sites say there is no area of that name. But maybe a bad choice. Is there a North Peckham?
There used to be a North Peckham (council) Estate, now I believe demolished.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the Fourth of July. Brings out the crazy "'Murica is the greatest country in the world" shit from people who've never seriously considered any objective metrics of "greatness." Since people in every country think theirs is the best, it always seems to boil down to "it's the greatest because I live here."

ETA: It is a great excuse to have friends over and fire up the grill, though.

[ 04. July 2014, 15:18: Message edited by: Mechtilde ]

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016