homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mechtilde:
TICTH the Fourth of July. Brings out the crazy "'Murica is the greatest country in the world" shit from people who've never seriously considered any objective metrics of "greatness." Since people in every country think theirs is the best, it always seems to boil down to "it's the greatest because I live here."

ETA: It is a great excuse to have friends over and fire up the grill, though.

And it's always another opportunity for Hobby Lobby's propaganda. (This was a full-page ad in many newspapers around the U.S. today.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has Hobby Lobby caused the closedown of independent suppliers of craft materials, as it is my impression that a large supplier has here, so that boycotting them is a bit of a problem?
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My curse attend tiny, invisible bitey things that have brought me out in itching sores. Normally it's August before I have to douse myself in Autan before going outdoors, but it's been a warm, wettish summer so far.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sodding bloody boss who has not heard my repeated response that moving my work base from East London to West London (when I start as far east as you can get) makes my commute too long and too expensive to be sustainable but has continued to juggle the kids around with her plan. So next week I am expected to introduce new tutor to ASC student with zero preparation so they can take over. While said ASC student has both parents away. Sodding sodding bosses.

And then I am supposed to start getting to know new student who I am not going to work with because actually, even the Government websites say that I can refuse to change location if the travel becomes too expensive or takes too long. And 2½ to 3 hours each way plus £20 a week additional cost is too expensive and too frigging long.

I hate, hate, hate bloody job hunting with a passion and that is what I will have to spend my weekend doing.

[ 04. July 2014, 21:01: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Statistics show that we lose more fools on this day than in all the other days of the year put together. This proves, by the number left in stock, that one Fourth of July per year is now inadequate, the country has grown so.
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar (Mark Twain)

TICTH the idiots uphill from me in my neighborhood as I prepare to spend an evening with hose in case a roman candle shell lands on my roof or car.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Water. From the sky. In the rivers and lakes. Making lakes in fields.

And "states of emergency". On account of water.

And flooded highways. On account of water.

And power failures. On account of water.

And mosquitos. Which love effing standing water.

And horseflies. They are bastards.

While I'm at it. Golf. Just because.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
And it's always another opportunity for Hobby Lobby's propaganda. (This was a full-page ad in many newspapers around the U.S. today.)

That is absolutely appalling.

Judging by the dates of most of those quotes, I'm guessing they also miss the good old days when Negroes weren't so uppity.

[ 05. July 2014, 00:20: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
That is absolutely appalling.

Judging by the dates of most of those quotes, I'm guessing they also miss the good old days when Negroes weren't so uppity.

I notice they also left out the part where Thomas Jefferson cut up the Bible with a razor blade.

According to David L. Holmes the Founding Fathers were almost universally less religious than their own wives. (Except Abigail Adams, the Deist hussy.)

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They've also been selective in leaving out the thoughts of Alexander Hamilton, or Aaron Burr's come to that: I seem to recall that Hamilton is regarded as a founding father and Burr should qualify since he was the third VP (yes, I know the duel and the later charge of treason is awkward but...).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or the Treaty of Tripoli, unanimously passed by the Senate (although the full body was not present at the vote) and signed by President Adams. An excerpt:
quote:
[T]he Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion . . . [and] has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen. . . .
Musselmen being Muslims, of course.

But we should really start a new thread on the topic and let TICTH get back to C'ing to H.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A warm thank-you to the somewhat merry lads who decided to play balloon football in the small hours underneath my window for a while. I appreciate your trying to do this quietly, but in the stillness of the night, the expletives, giggles, crashes into the railings, scurries and sound of running feet are clearly audible wherever you might be in the car park.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Priests who refuse to use mobile phones, email, or even voicemail.

No, Father, your refusal to drag yourself into the 20th century, let alone the 21st, does not make you whimsically old-fashioned. It makes you a tosser.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Idiot companies sidelining the poor, intellectually impaired and homeless even further because they can't see further than the ends of their own noses.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oyster cards are very widely available - from the machines in tube stations and newsagents even if the counters don't exist. Cash fares on the buses and Tube are weighted to make it cheaper to have cards (Bus: £2.40 cash, £1.45 on Oyster, Tube Zone 1 fare £4.70 cash, £2.20 on Oyster). Day travel cards are available from all stations too - from the machines that are pretty much everywhere, and accept cash, and those are at Oyster rates.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Idiot companies sidelining the poor, intellectually impaired and homeless even further because they can't see further than the ends of their own noses.

They're not alone. New York City subways and the Los Angeles metro are cash-free (one can still use cash on the buses, however). You have to purchase a card from a vending machine to use in the turnstiles. LA's work pretty well, but NY's are notorious for having to be "swiped" multiple times before the turnstile recognizes them.

And in both cities, senior citizen reduced fare cards must be specially applied for. Fine for residents, but what about tourists?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They require organisational skills, and being able to manage a level of abstract concept. Crosspost

[ 06. July 2014, 17:22: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

And in both cities, senior citizen reduced fare cards must be specially applied for. Fine for residents, but what about tourists?

Perhaps the cities feel (not necessarily unreasonably) that people who can afford to be tourists are not those in most need of a senior citizen discount? Plus, of course, tourists don't vote.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
They require organisational skills, and being able to manage a level of abstract concept. Crosspost

More organisational skills are required to ensure you always have change for the bus. People with disabilities can get a concessionary pass, so they don't need to pay. This has been the case for quite a while, and it makes organising travel a lot easier.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
quote:

More organisational skills are required to ensure you always have change for the bus. People with disabilities can get a concessionary pass, so they don't need to pay. This has been the case for quite a while, and it makes organising travel a lot easier.
It depends on the person, and I know many of my clients who would not do well with this system.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Buses are free on the concessionary passes, disabled, elderly, children under 15 - just need showing on entry. They just have to carry a card. And if someone begged for a fare I'd buy them an Oyster with enough cash on it more willingly than I'd give them cash for drugs or alcohol.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It depends on the person, and I know many of my clients who would not do well with this system.

What, they'd prefer to pay for their bus fare than have a free pass that they just swipe? I work with teenagers with severe learning disabilities, many of whom don't understand money, but they can generally grasp that their card with their photo on is to be shown on the bus.

I also have a free bus pass, because of being on the autism spectrum, and I can't conceive how paying with money is easier. Your bus pass is always in your purse, same as your money is, but unlike your money, you don't have to count it out, or make sure you have enough beforehand. I don't have an intellectual disability, but I do have difficulty with organisation, and also I don't have much money, and the bus pass makes things a lot easier for me.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope no one even thinks about bringing
a similar system in here. What happens if someone loses their card?

I mislaid my concession card last week (it's normally chained to my backpack, so I haven't done that in ages), but at least it was only a kilometre away, so I could walk.

Huia

[ 06. July 2014, 20:06: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
What, they'd prefer to pay for their bus fare than have a free pass that they just swipe? I work with teenagers with severe learning disabilities, many of whom don't understand money, but they can generally grasp that their card with their photo on is to be shown on the bus.

Money in the hand is a tangible thing that people can understand and relate to. It's a finite thing: you spend it, it's gone. A swipe card has a less visible effect, if you know what I mean, and if it's something that you have to keep topping up with credit, this is where difficulties can start.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Perhaps we should start a separate thread.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Money in the hand is a tangible thing that people can understand and relate to. It's a finite thing: you spend it, it's gone. A swipe card has a less visible effect, if you know what I mean, and if it's something that you have to keep topping up with credit, this is where difficulties can start.

You don't have to top it up. It's a free bus pass. Like a library card. Or an ID card. It remains the same, and therefore is easier than money. Many people with severe learning disabilities don't understand numbers and quantities and the idea that different coins represent different numbers, and many have difficulty with language, so can't process the cost that the bus driver tells them. But they can relate to a card with their photo on, which says who they are, and which they show the bus driver when they get on the bus. It requires no language, no counting, no exchange, no abstract concepts. Just the same thing to do each time. An easy action to learn.
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
Perhaps we should start a separate thread.

Yeah, probably. Although I'm going to bed now.
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone tell me, when do kids start to get the first, faintest, fucking idea about anything at all? Here is a scenario from my day: Younger child (2) falls out of chair at dinner. Spectacularly, crashing through a large potplant on the way down and ending up tangled in amongst a heavy wooden dining chair. Naturally, very upset, frightened, and hurt. I scooped him up and sat on the couch cradling him and murmuring to him until he had calmed down enough to actually be checked for injuries - still crying though. Through all this (several minutes), older child, a shade short of six, kept up a more or less continual litany of, 'When can I have my pudding?' , 'Could you get me my pudding now?' , 'I am so bored of waiting for my pudding' , 'I can't believe how long he is taking to stop crying - can't I have my pudding now?' I mean, what the hell? No empathy at all? Still? Can I expect it to develop at some point, or does she have a great future as a prizewinning self-absorbed airhead waiting around the corner?

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Mid to late teens I'm afraid, there is research ...

[ 07. July 2014, 08:58: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, although your younger one was crying, the elder probably assumed that there was no actual problem, because there was a trusted adult (you) dealing with the situation.

It might have been less a lack of empathy and more a belief that nothing really bad can happen when Mum / Dad is there....

Trust me, such high regard for your parenting abilities will wear off [Biased]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Tour de France. I want to cross the empty high street now not after four hours of mind numbing tedium and staring at people's backs ocassionally interrupted by advertising boards.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fucking earache. Which has now gone to my jawbone, as it always does. So I'm again panicking at the thought of maybe having to see a dentist because ohmygodIcan'tfuckingcope with the pain anymore, regardless of my terror of dentists or indeed the fact that since this definitely started with my ears and with dizziness, the jaw pain is a result not a reason.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight, the first episode of a new Australian series of the family history show Who Do You Think You Are? included an interview with Samuel Willenberg, the last survivor of the Treblinka II death camp.

Today and every day, I condemn to Hell those responsible for the careful planning and implementation of a process that could kill 12 to 15 thousand people per day.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bad drivers.

Specifically, drivers who -

turn right from the left-hand lane at roundabouts (what do you think the right-hand lane is there for, you wombat?)

drive their large vehicle on to a roundabout, in front of other drivers, KNOWING that that will make said other drivers stand on their brakes, bang their heads on the steering wheel in frustration, and possibly have the guy behind run into them;

drive on to a hatched yellow area, again knowing full well that said area is there to stop idiots in council-owned trucks stopping ordinary motorists in small, well-maintained cars from having to drive over the kerb to get through the traffic lights;

etc, etc, ad nauseam
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Mrs. S, blood pressure through the roof [Mad]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Bad drivers.

turn right from the left-hand lane at roundabouts (what do you think the right-hand lane is there for, you wombat?)

drive their large vehicle on to a roundabout, in front of other drivers, KNOWING that that will make said other drivers stand on their brakes, bang their heads on the steering wheel in frustration, and possibly have the guy behind run into them;

drive on to a hatched yellow area, again knowing full well that said area is there to stop idiots in council-owned trucks stopping ordinary motorists in small, well-maintained cars from having to drive over the kerb to get through the traffic lights;

etc, etc, ad nauseam

That's pretty normal driving where I live...
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

People who you absolutely must get ahold of but keep getting their voice mail, only to have them call back when you're not at the phone. Phone tag is a game created by the devil.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Canadian MP Robert Goguen.

quote:
Conservative MP asks witness whether she would have worried about her Charter rights had the police been able to save her during her gang rape.
Fire the bastard.

{edit, thought link was wrong, it appears its up and down, maybe too many hits?}

[ 08. July 2014, 20:03: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Bad drivers.

etc, etc, ad nauseam

That's pretty normal driving where I live...
Did I say anything to make you think it wasn't exactly like that around here?

Mrs. S, still spitting blood

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They're fun around here as well. The ones who tow caravans and assume that once the passenger window is past you, they're past you, are particularly entertaining.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
Can anyone tell me, when do kids start to get the first, faintest, fucking idea about anything at all?

yes, it will get better.

it will get better faster if you make sure and give her a good, sharp talking to (after the little guy is chill) about what shitty and greedy behavior that was. with nicer words, of course.

hope the little dude is unscathed.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sharp doesn't necessarily work. Depends on the kid. Depends on the family. Depends on your interpretation of sharp.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Americanisms. Not when used by an American, but when used by 12 year old English boys! My lad and his friends want to watch a movie, put things in the trash and tell me and his mum to stop fighting!

They are films, rubbish and arguing! I told him many, many times and will now resort to punching him in the face if he does it again*. Too much yank telly! Not TV, Telly!

*not really but I will make him write out films, rubbish and arguing out one hundred times.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sucks, Deano. Where have they gotten this from? Tell them to stop already.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you read The Tempest you'll discover that trash was in English usage, in England, circa 1600...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You do, I trust, see the irony in bitching about "Americanisms" with a Waylon Jennings quote in your .sig, deano.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

*not really but I will make him write out films, rubbish and arguing out one hundred times.

Now wonder your lad watched so much telly as he was never allowed on the lawn.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
You do, I trust, see the irony in bitching about "Americanisms" with a Waylon Jennings quote in your .sig, deano.

Yeah, but Waylon Jennings is American, saying American stuff. However, if deano ever uses the word "good" when he means "well", feel free to smack him upside the head. [Biased]

[ 10. July 2014, 14:07: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Americanisms. Not when used by an American, but when used by 12 year old English boys! My lad and his friends want to watch a movie, put things in the trash and tell me and his mum to stop fighting!

The right words used in arguing can damn well turn it into a fight. I know people who can use "with respect" or "darling" like Inigo Montoya uses a sword.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
That sucks, Deano. Where have they gotten this from? Tell them to stop already.

Threaten them with yard work and stop their allowance.

[ 10. July 2014, 15:33: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, isn't globalization interesting? People pick up other forms of English as we get to hear how other people speak and write.

There. Tangent over. Back to your usual one-off whining.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought "with respect" was ALWAYS used like Inigo Montoya's sword. With the occasional refinement of "with the greatest respect".

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016