homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having just read this, and with the distaff side having been peripherally involved in something somewhat similar in the last week or so, TICTH people who try to conceal their own lack of ability or competence by playing the race/gender discrimination card, thus doing a great disservice to those who actually are subject to race/gender discrimination. I despise the selfishness of those people, with their false sense of entitlement.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
People who embark, on weekend afternoons when the heat means that everyone else's windows are open, on lengthy and noisy pressure washing their flagstones. I keep thinking they've finished. And then they start again. And again. I was asleep. But I couldn't listen to anything if I was doing any more active Saturday pm stuff.

If they had been cutting their newly laid grass (and kudos for replacing over half the flags with that) they would have finished by now.

And again. Still, at least now it's been done, they won't have to do it again for ages.

And again. I suppose I might get used to it. Like the murmur of innumerable bees in immemorial elms.

That was a really long gap. And that.

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH......racism wafting over the back fence
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH cars, insurance companies and commuting - in one big 'orrible mess.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH The (Scum) Sun and its creepy, stupid and dangerous 'BOY, 4, HAS MARK OF DEVIL' headline and photo.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have seen that mark identified as a hairdryer burn.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the worst Congress in the history of the United States. [Mad]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

The worst Congress yet.
It's going to be a thrill if the Republicans get control of both houses in the next election and move on impeaching Obama.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Absolute bunch of nutters, howling at the moon. Like a gang of Veruca Salts who only want what they want. From this BBC report, this observation:
quote:
In his six years in office Mr Obama has issued 183 executive orders, compared to 291 across George W Bush's eight years and 381 for Ronald Reagan, according to a study by the American Presidency Project at the University of California-Santa Barbara.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

TICT a hotter and lower depth of H the people who voted them in -- and those who would have voted otherwise but stayed home.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
From this BBC report, this observation:
quote:
In his six years in office Mr Obama has issued 183 executive orders, compared to 291 across George W Bush's eight years and 381 for Ronald Reagan, according to a study by the American Presidency Project at the University of California-Santa Barbara.

Nice quote passer. One would almost think that El Presidente and his aides have made the error of mistaking activity for effectiveness.

Still, look how many posts there are on this thread alone. On the same subject even.

[ 31. July 2014, 12:25: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cold callers again - I had 5 different ones today.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Keep 'em talking. That's what I do, after all it's their phone bill, not mine. I had one once who got so pissed off he ended up accusing me of wasting his valuable time [Snigger]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Keep 'em talking. That's what I do, after all it's their phone bill, not mine. I had one once who got so pissed off he ended up accusing me of wasting his valuable time [Snigger]
I used to do that till I was desperate for work and went to a place that did that sort of thing. (It was a magazine sales thing.) The people there were similarly desperate (there was a sense of fear and sadness from just about all of them), and after a few hours of training I realized I ethically could not do that job; but the kinds of rules and penalties they had there made me realize that when I would play mind games with the people who called me, I was doing nothing but to harm the desperate people on the other end of the line (who get penalized or fired if they don't make enough sales, at pitiful wages)--and not the company which was making them do it--so I don't do that anymore. The most merciful and effective thing to do is tell them no thank you and hang up--they literally are not allowed to end the call themselves, at least at this place they weren't, so they're a captive audience which has to keep trying to sell their crap as long as you have not hung up the phone, and of course their calls are monitored for "quality control" which means that they are really trapped. [Frown]

It's been a couple of years now but TICTH companies like that, my own mistreatment of the callers over the years, and the lack of a social safety net here which means people have to take even unethical and horrible jobs like that just to survive.

[ 31. July 2014, 23:09: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the easily offended, and further those seeking offense. It's like a trump card in a debate, nowadays.

"you can't call that an orange! it's a satsuma! I find that terribly offensive!"

and really the only response is, well, gosh, I didn't know it was offensive, I'm so sorry *abashabashabash*

and the Offenderati get to stalk off feeling all fucking superior.

you know what? sometimes you're just full of shit. until I manage to read minds, there is no way for me to know that you're a Friend of Citrus and that I just said something offensive. because let's be honest, here - every ten minutes something else fairly common becomes an offensive term. I can't keep up. nor will I try to speak so super carefully so as to never offend anyone anywhere ever.

you'll have to just take my word for it that I'm not a misocitrusist and take your fragile little shell home to polish it. Real people take their lumps. real people have the conversation and enlighten others. fragile little two-dimentional beings wear their offense on their sleeves.

(for the record, I told an aquaintance she looked beautiful today. apparently I'm oppressing her. but that is just one of a number of things lately. including on the Ship.)

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Not to worry, eh? Few more years and nobody'll be oppressing you in the slightest."
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re. Comet's post: also the easily "upset" (in church contexts). I'm sure we've all met them ... IMO this can actually be a power-seeking ploy, or a mask to cover intransigence.

Not always, of course.

[ 01. August 2014, 08:06: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
... I told an aquaintance she looked beautiful ...

You can tell me I look beautiful any time you like, Comet. You'd be mistaken, but I shan't feel in the least oppressed or offended. [Big Grin]

eta: Why would she feel oppressed when the compliment was coming from another woman? [Confused]

[ 01. August 2014, 14:43: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
TICTH the easily offended, and further those seeking offense. It's like a trump card in a debate, nowadays.

"you can't call that an orange! it's a satsuma! I find that terribly offensive!"

and really the only response is, well, gosh, I didn't know it was offensive, I'm so sorry *abashabashabash*

and the Offenderati get to stalk off feeling all fucking superior.

So you're not making a complaint about those who post on this thread?
[Big Grin]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
eta: Why would she feel oppressed when the compliment was coming from another woman? [Confused]

I'm one for handing out praise when I see it's justified. We (as a society) seem awfully quick to find fault and are often very stingy with our praise. So when someone deserves some praise, I give it.

but apparently I'm judging her on her gender and superficial appearance and not her "inner truth". unfortunately, it was not a social situation where I felt free to tell her that I praise her outer beauty because her "inner truth" is as ugly as a bald dog's ass.
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
You can tell me I look beautiful any time you like, Comet. You'd be mistaken, but I shan't feel in the least oppressed or offended. [Big Grin]

Darling, you are beautiful, and I say that having never seen your picture. Some things are more important.

Now stop fishing for compliments or I'll have to let Evil Comet out. and it's too nice a morning for that.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the couple responsible for this situation, who would probably claim they don't believe in eugenics if you asked them.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the woman who left her child locked in a hot car, and then ran over the woman who called 911 to report it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jesus, It's becoming an epidemic. People suck!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hate taking kids shopping so I always leave one of the windows open a little bit to let the smoke out.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH automotive manufacturers who design their cars to be impossible for the average consumer to maintain.

In order to change the parking light on our family Subaru, I had to start by removing the fecking grill off the front! Seriously? It took me almost two hours to change a $.99 light bulb! And I was quoted one hour by the mechanic... at a rate of $70 an hour, for a light bulb that wasn't even one fucking dollar!

I'm convinced that the manufacturer has engineers specially tasked to make these cars near impossible to work on yourself so that you are forced to take the car back to the dealership and pay them to do the work. Seriously, if you're going to make the bulbs that inaccessible, wouldn't the responsible thing be to make them a 50 year LED instead of incandescent?

Fuckers.

That, and what we really want is for you to take those engineers and direct them towards the fuel-efficient engine and drive-train department, not the see-if-you-can-find-a-way-to-fit-the-relays-between-the-radiator-and-the-cooling-fan department.

And in replacing the grill I broke off two of the clips that hold it in place, so it looks like I have to go to the stealer-ship anyways to get some replacements. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

Apropos of jack shit, I just figured out a way to make Siri read the above post aloud. She's magnificent when she is pissed off.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
And in replacing the grill I broke off two of the clips that hold it in place, so it looks like I have to go to the stealer-ship anyways to get some replacements. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

dude. zipties.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
TICTH the couple responsible for this situation, who would probably claim they don't believe in eugenics if you asked them.

On a more positive note, public fundraising has achieved nearly 200,000 Australian dollars and got him moved to a specialist hospital.

Additionally CTH to the surrogacy agency, who haven't even paid the whole of the agreed fee to the mother - and have now phoned the family in a vague attempt to look like they care.

[ 03. August 2014, 11:20: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the use of congregations as arenaa for fantasies. Particularly when this involves horrendous amounts of backseat driving

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH clergy who, having decided on one theme for a Sunday then announce before the first hymn a theme they'd previously told me they wouldn't be using.

Relief organist called me gibbering to report that the PinC announced "today we mark the Transfiguration of the Lord and our readings and music will reflect that".

The minutes of the last planning meeting state "Fr X has decided to keep Sunday 3rd August as Trinity 7 - a hymn may be included on Sunday 10th to mark the Transfiguration but this is not strictly necessary."

Its hard enough to persuade colleagues to play so I can have time off without clergy going off-piste inducing fits of the vapours [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:

dude. zipties.
Good idea. Ever consider a career in automotive design?

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
TICTH clergy who, having decided on one theme for a Sunday then announce before the first hymn a theme they'd previously told me they wouldn't be using.

Relief organist called me gibbering to report that the PinC announced "today we mark the Transfiguration of the Lord and our readings and music will reflect that".

The minutes of the last planning meeting state "Fr X has decided to keep Sunday 3rd August as Trinity 7 - a hymn may be included on Sunday 10th to mark the Transfiguration but this is not strictly necessary."

Its hard enough to persuade colleagues to play so I can have time off without clergy going off-piste inducing fits of the vapours [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

But Father ALWAYS knows best ....... he's the priest not the organist. The priest is there to lead and serve, the organist to serve.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah the world is a magical place full of people who can't wait to be offended and upset.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I curse the skin that starts to peel.
I curse the cream that's meant to heal.
Because of this confounded salve
I curse the grip I do not have.
I curse the coffee scalding hot
From greasy fingers slops a lot.
And with every sting I feel

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...oh bother, did someone make a ruling that Eighth Day was only for nice poetry?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

No. It's just that my brain has the verselock on.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From the pen of dear Firenze
Acidulous verse will always Flo

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I curse the cream that's meant to heal.
Because of this confounded salve
I curse the grip I do not have.
I curse the coffee scalding hot
From greasy fingers slops a lot.
And with every sting I feel

I think it has a nice OT feel to it.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TITCH the rats which have returned....a mother with eight, yes eight I tell you, babies
Shudder [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The rats responsible for the drafting of laws which denied an ex-soldier who had become the carer of his mother as she died of dementia, and who was then denied the money to pay for the electricity to keep his insulin refrigerated, and the food necessary to keep a diabetic alive.

Local paper report

The rats responsible for the funding changes leading to the closure of women's refuges (in some cases because of the demands that they be open to men.)

This is not the Britain I grew up in.

Then I watch the subversive stuff in the Commonwealth Games ceremonies, and remember that in the Olympics, and think of Melvyn Bragg praising John Ball and Tom Paine, and think maybe it is still out there, somewhere. (With part of it about to float off towards Ultima Thule, and who can blame them.)

How do we get it back from the rats?

[ 04. August 2014, 16:49: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Refuge Closure

And the rats who decided to collect a woman for deportation just before her daughter's wedding, and then to take her to the plane from Yarl's Wood at midnight in her pyjamas.

Seizure from wedding

Removal

I realise that had we been invaded by a certain mid century political party, they would have had no trouble finding people to staff the less savoury places they would have set up here.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Exclamation Mark
quote:
But Father ALWAYS knows best ....... he's the priest not the organist. The priest is there to lead and serve, the organist to serve.
No; the servers serve, the organist plays the organ.

But if Father wants music for the Transfiguration he'd better give some notice - that or learn to play the instrument himself. And since he's pretty much tone deaf I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

TICTH the person down the street who in the hot weather when all windows have to be open has decided it's time to do vocal exercises in hopes of fixing the wobble in her soprano.

and I don't mean Offenbach's Hades either.

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Estate agents and conveyancing solicitors for screwing us around.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Whatever it is in my bedroom TV which decides, on an apparently random basis, that the hard drive to which it records things is no longer in a supported format and it cannot access the existing recordings.

This means a very long copying process to my computer (it is lying when it states the files are lost). Then I have to open each file and identify it, and change the name from a meaningless string of numbers (ciphered date info) to the name of the programme. But the downstairs TV, which can read the computer wirelessly and show videos from it, cannot read the changed file name, only the supposed lost numeric one, which can still be shown in Media Player, so I have to find the file under the name in one folder in MP, identify the the opening shot, find the numeric view of that shot, and then bring up that number on the TV. The TV cannot rewind or fast forward.

I am, you will note, complaining over facilities which I did not dream of when I had an analogue TV and no recording possibilities in the bedroom. But I wish the inventors of these marvellous toys ensured they worked sensibly before releasing them on the public. (And I did not dream of them when I went out to get a better TV, but having read the manuals, I did want to use what was on offer.)

[ 05. August 2014, 20:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH piles! Nuff said!

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry, those must hurt.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the mini-despots in my employer's HR department. Apparently, if we still have the keys to our flat on Monday the sky will fall in and it will the end of civilisation as we know it. [Ultra confused]
They will be paying rent for the flat until mid-September and know that we will have no furniture in our new flat until Wednesday but to let us stay over for a couple of days will contravene their processes. We have offered to pay the rent, but it makes no difference; we must be out by the end of Sunday. [brick wall]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH assholes who get their rear bumper touched (at 2 mph) on a rainy, oil-slick day, causing NO damage whatsoever to either car, and immediately think: "Ah ha! I can claim 500 fucking dollars worth of damage, get myself a nice new paint job plus clear coat, and medical costs besides!" Assholes.

And who the hell does 15 mph when they're six feet behind a stationary car waiting at a light? 2 miles an hour, if that, assholes. Don't give me that shit. Don't give my insurance company that shit, either.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of all the things I've lost
I miss my mind the most. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016