homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  34  35  36 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So how come its bad for kids to text each other but OK for us to post here? Same bloody thing it seems to me.

And who mainly uses phones to talk these days anyway? Text took over more than ten years ago.

Posted on my phone. From the pub.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
So how come its bad for kids to text each other but OK for us to post here?

Because we set all else aside, sit down at the computer, login, browse to the Ship and post -- like people used to set all else aside and sit down at the telephone, which rested on a special little table in a special little corner of the room, in days gone by. We don't carry the Ship around with us and post on it during all waking hours.

quote:
And who mainly uses phones to talk these days anyway? Text took over more than ten years ago.
I do. No it didn't.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Um, no - I read the Ship on my phone and occasionally post too on my commute. It's also when I catch up with e-mails.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't start me on phone calls. No I do not want to claim for ppi mis selling. No I do not want to claim for injuries received in an accident, yes I am quite sure I didn't receive any, and leave off with that crap trying to persuade me I did and that if I don't claim it it'll just go to shareholders. I've told you not to call again, to leave me alone, to stop harassing me, I tell you that Choccie must have changed her number as I keep getting her calls, you still try.

So I don't answer unrecognised numbers, if you really know me you'll leave a message but the recurrent ringing/vibrating is still annoying sometimes several times a day. For goodness sake, you even got my mothers number and call her trying to track me down!

[ 25. January 2014, 20:30: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH this weekend. One car condemned, other car broke down on Friday, will be towed home to local garage tomorrow. Op 2 has leaking ear so is on antibiotics and as much paracetamol and ibuprofen as I can give her. Mr Beets unwell. And my sister finally has an official diagnosis, and it's upset me far more than I anticipated even though we knew this was coming. [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] Roll on Monday.

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH my computer AND Blackberry. Downloaded a program - recommended by the IT guru at work - which refuses to open and prevents me from booting up the desktop. Blackberry refusing to send or receive e-mails even though I've sorted (or have I?) the password thing. Fortunately I can do mails at work but this whole debacle* is a complete bugger.

* trans. Disaster

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Mini-Stalin

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH stupid information sharing cloud websites which we are forced to use because sending information by email is NOT GOOD ENOUGH for some people when you can create much more hassle for everyone with your stupid system.
How about I issue some drawings on paper for you instead - wrapped around a brick. Even finding the brick would take me less time than uploading to the stupid thing raarg

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH not car batteries, but car battery technicians who decide that your battery is fine and doesn't need replacing, because then you have to call for assistance again 6 hours later when your car isn't starting again.

Alternatively, TICTH second car battery technicians who tell you that your car battery is not fine (but the alternator is). One of you isn't competent, I suspect I know which one but I'm not yet 100% certain. Also, slight grumble that no.2 didn't have the right kind of replacement battery and has to call a 'battery van', but I'll give him credit for turning up quickly.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TITCH Redundancy by Proxy inc. A hearty fuck you, sorry, we haven't got enough work so we'll stand someone down. In the good old days, ie. last August, before you fired our competent supervisor and his colleagues quit like rats deserting the sinking ship you are now, if a low work situation happened you tried to share the work among those who were available. Not any more, oh no, stand Alban down. 2 months out of the last 5 paid, 1 of those our standard Christmas leave (because no-one in their right mind wouldn't tell a market researcher to fuck off during the festive season).
You give me the wrong date for the year restarting, meaning I don't get paid leave for the last week of no work, then just like last year, no fucking work. Then you have the gall to say I could pick up some evening work - only half the time I'd normally work and at a time of day I have other things to do. But needs must I guess, so "oh, just contact this guy", but don't tell Alban this man's on leave. And when I finally get that info out of you, you can't fit me into the shift while you're doing his job.
And fuck job hunting, too. I'm living off my other part time job (praise God for that at least) charity from family and a gas tank constantly on empty. If you don't want me, fire me, quit pissing me round pretending I have a job!

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
So how come its bad for kids to text each other but OK for us to post here? Same bloody thing it seems to me.

"Oh noes! Some people conduct their lives differently to me! The sky will fall in! Downfall of western civilisation!

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alban, do you have a case for constructive dismissal?
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

as always, blatantly obvious.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No TICTH from me but just the absolute bliss of my ex tooth being fixed, the dry socket healed and no more pain. Sixteen dentist appointments (two of which were on one day - useless fucker of an emergency dentist), months of pain, prescriptions for morphine and tramadol, two weeks of not eating solid food and it's all over after six months of awfulness. Please God let the remainder of my teeth stay perfect forever.

/Please return to your regularly scheduled rants now.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere in AS for that. [Biased]

(but big congrats anyway)

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chive's tooth had its own special membership down here, so I'll allow it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, we can always reframe it as " fuck you, dental distress, you haven't beat me yet, and you never will! [mad cackle]"

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am asked to send out invites to an event, rather than by post. I do so. I then discover that some people were missed, so I resend to all who have not yet replied, clearly stating that I was doing so to make sure they got the invitation and that a "read request" was also included - so I would know it had arrived.
Today I find that one person didn't get theirs, because I had the wrong email address - fair enough.
I decide to phone round all those who I haven't heard from, to check that the email had arrived. Lost count of the number who said "Oh yes I got that one". I could have really done without that waste of time [Mad]
The plus was a lovely conversation held with two different people who hadn't received it (can I also rant about people who don't understand about keeping databases up to date?) and were very grateful I had called.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pokes head nervously round door...
Dips toe gingerly into the water...
Promises never to mix metaphors like that again...

Dog shit and the sheer amount of it around here. There's loads of the stuff on practically every stretch of pavement and it's just horrible. Especially when you're walking around with children and you're forever having to call "watch where you're stepping", pull them away from it, check their shoes for the yucky stuff etc.

If you're too lazy to clean up after your own dog then don't have one.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH fever dreams.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm with you Stejjie.

I'm helping out a mate by walking two dogs - so invested in a cheap pair of thinnish gloves just in case the bags broke when scooping up the s**t.

But the number of owners who don't pick it up.

In particular, I meet a dog walker with 6 (yes, really) pooches at one time: they all get taken to a particular patch of grass and HEAVE HO - s**t x 6. But the walker doesn't scoop, no, just a blithe "its biodegradeable" and off they go.

This in an AONB which attracts hundreds of walkers and bird-watchers year-round.

Bring back dog licences, sensibly priced and with metal tag to be attached to a collar: employ wardens equipped with machines to hoover the s**t up. And any animal found either collar-less or in a collar without the licence tag to be destroyed (Guide Dogs to be exempt, of course).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And if dogs need to be licensed and leashed (which I fully agree with), why not cats? Every day I find their poop in my planters, and yesterday was the second time recently that I found what was obviously cat vomit just outside my front door. This is MY property, keep your damned cats home and let them shit and puke at YOUR house. If they're truly pets, then treat them as such.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Chive's tooth had its own special membership down here, so I'll allow it.

I think the membership has been pulled. Chive, I am glad this saga is over for you.

And TICTH the heat, the drought and frigging water restrictions which have finally killed my beautiful huge canopied* claret ash tree which was why i live in this house.

*12 metres of our 14 metre wide block.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the idea that to love someone you need to be oblivious to their faults. Failing that you need to pretend they do not have any.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
And if dogs need to be licensed and leashed (which I fully agree with), why not cats? Every day I find their poop in my planters, and yesterday was the second time recently that I found what was obviously cat vomit just outside my front door. This is MY property, keep your damned cats home and let them shit and puke at YOUR house. If they're truly pets, then treat them as such.

Come down to earth, Pigwidgeon. You know, or should know, that cats go their own way. Which is why some people have dogs; they do as they are told, at least part of the time. And my cats shit in my garden and on my lawn, which is not nice. As JJ said, you can love someone while acknowledging their faults. But I am pleased (dare I say this in Hell?) that since I had a trellis fence erected to screen my back garden from the shared drive, neighburing cats seem to observe the boundary and stay outside!

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, I've caught the neighbor's cats knocking down my bamboo plants to get around my trellis fence.

However the real villains are the occasional passing raccoon. One was tearing branches off my cherry tree to eat the cherries before heading across the fence to my neighbor's chicken coop for a snack.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I blame the parents.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I blame the parents.

I blame the people who call them "pets" but don't keep them indoors where they're safer, healthier, and don't bother the neighbors.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, do that and you might as well have a stuffed toy. You just don't get cats, do you? (I don't have one at the moment, BTW. I haven't worked out a sensible lifestyle sharing mechanism.)

I have a woodmouse in my garden - like her as she eats up the food the birds drop. But she can have several litters of several offspring a year. And each of the females could have several litters from just a short time from birth. I don't think I'd much like the world with no predation of small mammals in it.

Reminds me, I've got to go and work out a squirrel prevention system.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
I blame the parents.

I blame the people who call them "pets" but don't keep them indoors where they're safer, healthier, and don't bother the neighbors.
...I was making a joke about raccoons. What were you doing?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
quote:
I blame the parents.

...I was making a joke about raccoons. What were you doing?
I thought you were talking about destructive cats.

Raccoons are wild animals, no one pretends that they're pets -- and they're charming, funny, amazing animals. (Yes, I had them in my yard when I lived in another part of the country.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Yeah, do that and you might as well have a stuffed toy.

If that's all the personality a cat has, I guess so.

quote:
You just don't get cats, do you?
NOPE!

I don't "get" pet tarantulas either, but if people choose to keep them, that's fine with me. They don't let them out to do their thing on my property.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cats belong inside. Anyone who thinks this limits their essential catness doesn't understand cats well at all.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Only one generation from a farm, me, where cats had jobs to do.

As in, in the Depression, there was nothing for my Nana to prepare for lunch, and she said so, out loud, and the cat brought in a rabbit! (My mother always read Puss in Boots in the light of that event.)

I have managed to prevent the neighbours' cats using my property. Various means, such as fixing, not too well, plastic trellis on top of the 6 ft fence. Making sure that there is no earth that looks like a latrine - I've got some trimmings from the bramble that could do the job if I'm sowing seeds later. Also lion poo from the garden centre*. I've used nettles in the past. I'm not sure what happened with the hairy grey - glaring at him led to looks back that suggested I didn't know my place, but all he wanted to do was sleep on the compost bin. Haven't seen him for a while - but the rest of them just got fed up with being disturbed every time they arrived, I think.
* This works by persuading them that you have a very big cat they don't want to meet, and your garden is his territory.
Mind you, round here there's plenty of communal spaces they can use without disturbing people.

And at least they don't bag up their excrement and leave it dangling off the trees. Burying it would be good, if only they would do it somewhere else.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

TICTH morons who imperil the TICTH thread.
Go the Fuck away, I value this thread.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seriously, discussion on the TICTH thread is bad enough, but discussion of cats, containing cats, cat shit? Don't make me stop this car, people.

RuthW
Temp Hellhost

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH indeterminate abdominal pain that wakes you up at 5am, lovely though the NHS direct lady was - "well, it might be an inflamed appendix but we don't do anything about that nowadays but if you get a temperature and start to feel dizzy call a doctor" is not exactly reassuring.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH having to chase people for replies to wedding invitations. They were all sent out by more than three weeks before the "please rsvp by" date of 1st Feb, with the longest travelling time ones sent first.
I included a handy online form for making it super easy if wanted (about seventy percent of replies have come through it so far).

WHY ARE PEOPLE MAKING THIS SO DIFFICULT? I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THEY ARE COMING.

(I CTH especially uncles who don't reply, which is currently a 100% segment of the group.)

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Dr Ian Oliver, whose sanctimonious voice has just been on Radio Scotland, talking about keeping children safe from drugs.

The same Dr Ian Oliver who led a spectacularly incompetent police "investigation" into the disappearance of Scott Simpson. Just because Scott's family were "known to social services" Dr Ian Oliver, self-advertised as a "Christian" decided that Scott must have run away. He dismissed all reports of Scott being approached in a playpark by a man.

And guess what? When Scott's body was found, the man who had abducted, abused and murdered him matched the description of the man seen by the witnesses approaching Scott in the playpark. And he was a known paedophile, and he lived in the same street as the play park that Scott was last seen in.

Meanwhile, it transpired that in between slagging off Scott's parents, and sneering at the witnesses, Ian Oliver had found time during his busy working day to meet up with a woman from his church to give her "pastoral advice" of the sort that involves standing very close together and snogging.

And now he has managed to re-invent himself and those of us who remember Scott Simpson's disappearance get to hear him on the radio.

I wouldn't normally lay flowers at the spot where a child's body was found, but I'll be walking past that spot later this week and I'm going to leave flowers.

R.I.P. Scott Simpson

[edited to remove one part of the post not included in the linked BBC articles ... scratch that, it's all in linked BBC articles]

[ 03. February 2014, 10:46: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haemorrhoids. You wake up in the middle of the night feeling like someone is sodomising you with a chairleg and spend the day walking around feeling like Bishop Brennan, post arse kicking.

(NB I have never been sodomised by anything or anyone but I have a vivid imagination.)

And they also have such a bloody stupid spelling that you have to pause in your rant to look it up and check you've got it right.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
TICTH Dr Ian Oliver, whose sanctimonious voice has just been on Radio Scotland, talking about keeping children safe from drugs.

The same Dr Ian Oliver who led a spectacularly incompetent police "investigation" into the disappearance of Scott Simpson. Just because Scott's family were "known to social services" Dr Ian Oliver, self-advertised as a "Christian" decided that Scott must have run away. He dismissed all reports of Scott being approached in a playpark by a man.

And guess what? When Scott's body was found, the man who had abducted, abused and murdered him matched the description of the man seen by the witnesses approaching Scott in the playpark. And he was a known paedophile, and he lived in the same street as the play park that Scott was last seen in.

Meanwhile, it transpired that in between slagging off Scott's parents, and sneering at the witnesses, Ian Oliver had found time during his busy working day to have an affair with a married woman.

And now he has managed to re-invent himself and those of us who remember Scott Simpson's disappearance get to hear him on the radio.

I wouldn't normally lay flowers at the spot where a child's body was found, but I'll be walking past that spot later this week and I'm going to leave flowers.

R.I.P. Scott Simpson

This is libellous.

I happen to know Ian and he is a thoroughly decent man.

[ 03. February 2014, 10:44: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which bit exactly do you think is libellous?

There is nothing in that post which hasn't already appeared in the official report and the newspaper coverage. Please point out any particular sentence which you think is libellous.

What I have posted does not differ from, for example,

this bbc report.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

My first paragraph:
quote:
"Sanctimonious" is my opinion, but hardly libellous. The rest is fact.

My second paragraph:
quote:
The same Dr Ian Oliver who led a spectacularly incompetent police "investigation" into the disappearance of Scott Simpson.
"Incompetent" was the word used in the report by Deputy Chief Constable Graham Power.

quote:
Just because Scott's family were "known to social services" Dr Ian Oliver, self-advertised as a "Christian" decided that Scott must have run away. He dismissed all reports of Scott being approached in a playpark by a man.
This was local opinion at the time, based on the fact that it took 3 days (see official report) to interview the last people to see Scott alive, and who had seen Scott approached by the paedophile who killed him.. Have you any other explanation for the reason it took three days?

During those three days, Scott's parents, out of their minds with worry, issued their own poster, with the description of the man. The police "Have You Seen this Child" implied he had run away. No suggestion he'd been abducted.

Did you see those posters? Every last fucking shop the length of Great Northern Road and George Street had them in their window. I could weep. How many parents of missing children have to make their own fucking posters???

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
This is incontrovertible fact. See the court case, conviction, independent report etc.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Meanwhile, it transpired that in between slagging off Scott's parents, and sneering at the witnesses, Ian Oliver had found time during his busy working day to meet up with a woman from his church to give her "pastoral advice" of the sort that involves standing very close together and snogging.
I'd have to go back to the newspapers to get the comments about the parents posters diverting attention away from the missing child hunt, by creating an "abduction" red herring. The force took three days to interview the witnesses, which is hardly treating them with respect - they felt their evidence was being sneered at.

The incident with the fellow church member is public knowledge. See, for example, this bbc report.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, I think that has established that there is plenty of material on the public record regarding Dr Olivers past conduct, supporting the original post by NEQ. I don't see any reason to post any more.

I'd thought about editing out some of one paragraph that the first two links didn't support. But, as the third does support that I've re-instated the original text.

I am not a lawyer, and the admins retain the right to edit it later should those within the H&As with more legal background deem it sensible.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I consign to hell all those who used the prayer-time in church yesterday to thank God that they didn't live in an area affected by flooding.

And also Christians Against Poverty, the Trussell Trust and other disgusting organisations of their ilk. And all the middle-class Christians who support them knee-jerk without thinking about whether their methods and theologies are actually something they want to support.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
pydseybare

Agree - there is a touch of the "I thank God I'm not like other men" about it.

As for Christians Against Poverty: well, I doubt that anyone sane is actually for poverty - its just meaningless.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Christians Against Poverty have a new debt course which mixes evangelism (actual winning-souls-for-Jesus stuff) and debt management. I just think that is totally inappropriate.

Fair enough put on courses (or whatever else floats your boat) to try to win converts to your religious opinion. But this just takes the biscuit. And the tragic thing is that it is expanding rapidly within various Evangelical sectors (including, bizarrely, those whom the founders of CAP do not appear to count as Christians) with barely a word of protest.

There are better debt councilling models and better materials available for churches. But like the Trussell Trust, CAP seems to be in the process of becoming 'the' church response to debt problems.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Which bit exactly do you think is libellous?

There is nothing in that post which hasn't already appeared in the official report and the newspaper coverage. Please point out any particular sentence which you think is libellous.

What I have posted does not differ from, for example,

this bbc report.

I suppose someone like you who slags off her own mother in public on an internet I forum isn't going to worry about a bit if libel of a man who has given his life to public service. How do you know the facts?
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  34  35  36 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016