homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard: What the hell are you on about? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard: What the hell are you on about?
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
Not that Martin fits neatly into any of those boxes anyway, but I think it's true that Martin has become more theologically liberal over the years. However, I would have said that that move was well underway before BA graced us with his presence, so his insistence that none of this was a long time ago is even more puzzling.

There has been a pretty clear change relatively recently. I think this is a rather lucid statement of what happened to him (my emphasis): "My faith in the Bible as divinely inspired has never been greater! As a true postmodern liberal. The latest fad which I'm in to after decades of fundamentalism and a rapid excursion through the charismatic-evangelical. Thought I'd found a home in the neo-orthodox but that's been stretched by the Spirit of the time. Brian McLaren and Rob Bell mainly (and Greg Boyd and Peter Rollins and Richard Rohr and Steve Chalke and ...) have turned on the light if generous, progressive, inclusive orthodoxy." I think this change happened for the most part in 2012, with a turning point roughly in the middle of the year, where in particular the mentioned names Brian McLaren and Rob Bell seemed to have played a role.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Not really. In your example words are used with plain meanings to form a simple sentence.

Martin eschews clarity and simplicity, although his grammar and spelling are first rate.

Not an exact match but the idea that the brain is able to unscramble and understand familiar things expressed in unfamiliar ways because the bigger picture matters more than the exact details.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
There has been a pretty clear change relatively recently. I think this is a rather lucid statement of what happened to him (my emphasis): "My faith in the Bible as divinely inspired has never been greater! As a true postmodern liberal. The latest fad which I'm in to after decades of fundamentalism and a rapid excursion through the charismatic-evangelical. Thought I'd found a home in the neo-orthodox but that's been stretched by the Spirit of the time. Brian McLaren and Rob Bell mainly (and Greg Boyd and Peter Rollins and Richard Rohr and Steve Chalke and ...) have turned on the light if generous, progressive, inclusive orthodoxy." I think this change happened for the most part in 2012, with a turning point roughly in the middle of the year, where in particular the mentioned names Brian McLaren and Rob Bell seemed to have played a role.

Fair enough - that's clear evidence of a recent change. I must admit that I had assumed claims to be a post-modern liberal were made tongue-in-cheek (or perhaps it would be kinder to say playfully), but maybe not. I would still argue that Martin's journey has been heading towards generous and inclusive for quite some time.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
This suggest that maybe Martin has stayed pretty much as he was. But that the difficulty of filtering the signal out of the noise of his blather is really to a large extent dependent on how close one is in opinion. If one is close enough in opinion, then by a kind of linguistic resonance one is largely able to get what he is saying. If one is far, then it all just becomes a blur of bullshit.

There could be some truth in this. I find Martin's posts pretty understandable now, and insightful. It used to be that I struggled to get what he was pointing at.

However, I do think he's made a big effort to be more understandable too - it's not like the two observations ("Martin's gone more liberal, so liberal types find him easier to understand" and "Martin's tried harder to become clearer" are mutually exclusive).

The thing I used to be most unsure of with Martin was the "God the Killer" narrative, and where he was going with it. But it seems he's moved on from there now anyhow.

The thing is, though, I've gone on a similar theological journey, at a similar pace, so it's not like I've ever been very far away from Martin. I also think the nature of Martin's posts is that it shows he does want to learn & grow. Not only is he insightful, but he genuinely seems to want to engage with others and continue developing.

On the other hand, Ad Orientem, ISTM that, as Orfeo says, your posts are mainly assertion with very little argument. Given that a) I probably know your opinion before you say it, and b) I'm familiar with some of the arguments behind your opinion, even though you rarely go so far as to use them, the assertions - minus any meat - get pretty tiring. It'd be nice to get to the nitty gritty a bit more.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some time ago I remember Martin apologising to all gay etc Shipmates for the hurt he had caused them by the views he used to hold. Although I'd never noticed him being anti-gay, it was a moving and heartfelt apology. I respect a guy like that.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Why protest the obscure utterances of one among the many when outrageous clarity abounds upon our vessel of vanity? Are erratic euphemisms more erroneous than articulated lorries of ennui? Should Martin Neither Particularly Correct Nor Wholly Wrong be shunned when all about are Headless Chickens of Chaos masquerading as Lords of Logic? I think not neither do I post!

You just caused my head to explode. I'll have to get some sort of cleaning product to wipe my grey matter off the laptop screen.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not for nothing, I would rather read Martin's mystic twaddle than about 50% of the rest of the stuff on here. By aiming to miss he hits more than some who explain it all VERY CAREFULLY AND AT GREAT LENGHT (often with numbered points).

"Tell the truth but tell is slant ..." and all that.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. That's what takes me away from thinking of him as being a oh-so-thought-things-through Liberal. He has heart.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
. . . And his unique style provokes a hell call about once a year. [Smile]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
His style is far less cryptic than it used to be.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
His style is far less cryptic than it used to be.

So was Linear A after they cracked it. It was still illegible to all but a tiny handful of human beings.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Korean is only comprehensible to people who have, at some point in their lives, learnt Korean.

Except of course when God imparts miraculous gifts relating to tongues.

Just think, if I'd been born somewhere where teaching young people English wasn't standard practice (even in the home!), I might have evaded the role of Hellhost entirely. One can only dream.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought only Linear B was deciphered?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Indeed. That's what takes me away from thinking of him as being a oh-so-thought-things-through Liberal. He has heart.

Oi! I take great offence at that.

Are you saying us thinking liberals have no heart?

Au contraire. We just wrap our bleeding hearts in cold, hard reason. Protective mechanism ya know?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I thought only Linear B was deciphered?

Too right. Got my Linears out of line.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, would you fucking please stop bagging all over Christendom? According to you lately, Christianity is responsible for every evil since humanity crawled out from under a rock.

Witness:

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
While we wait for God to change the hearts and minds of these innocent barbarians (you and me but for the 'grace of God': time and chance), what do we do? Blast them off the Mosul dam? We - that's Christendom - created this nightmare with our money, our trade, our foreign policy since 1914-17-2014, our religion, so yes it's impossible to just stop our juggernaut and its effects. President Obama is doing a remarkably nuanced, restrained, minimal, positive, engaged job in undoing the damage of his predecessor. He's still killing killers. Causing them to kill more. Because, as usual, Christianity does, says, thinks NOTHING.

I could gather more quotes, but [Projectile] .

Look, some of us* in Christianity/Christendom/whatever are trying our damndest to do things right. We fuck up, of course. But it isn't making things better when you're shooting at us from our own side. We manage to guilt ourselves to death quite well already, thank you.

Give us a break, and consider showing some mercy on your fellow believers. Because it's damned hard to do anybody any good when you're dodging fire from both directions.

* most of us IMHO

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Look, some of us* in Christianity/Christendom/whatever are trying our damndest to do things right. We fuck up, of course. But it isn't making things better when you're shooting at us from our own side. We manage to guilt ourselves to death quite well already, thank you.

Give us a break, and consider showing some mercy on your fellow believers. Because it's damned hard to do anybody any good when you're dodging fire from both directions.

Amen. I love you, Martin, but amen.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luigi
Shipmate
# 4031

- Posted      Profile for Luigi   Email Luigi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best Hell thread in a long time! [Biased]
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed.

And I use the term Christendom provocatively, yes, as if the medieval geopolitical power was extant. Which in a sense it is, just under the surface of Western civilization, which it spawned, with a billion-odd adherents, responsible still more than any other force for the state of the world.

Even Pope Frank is getting violent now. How sad. How partisan. How understandable.

Even I said God bless America when they relatively surgically struck the IS. How sad ...

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine. I'm provoked. Are you going to engage with my point?

Because it fucking pisses me off and tires me out when I spend the morning dealing with refugee X's problems and then drop onto the Ship for a moment to be told that Christianity, of which I am a part, is a dreadful rotten no-good very bad instigator of Everything Bad in the Universe. And it continues to annoy the fucking hell out of me until I go back to what I really ought to be doing, which is calling a fucking credit counseling agency for refugee Y and setting up an appointment, before following up with refugee Z whose brother is on the verge of being indicted for attempted murder.

I mean, bloody hell. How am I suppose to get my fair share of oppressing the world done in the chinks of time in between these things? Might have to give up the Ship to do it properly. Can't let Christendom down, you know.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because it fucking pisses me off and tires me out when I spend the morning dealing with refugee X's problems and then drop onto the Ship for a moment to be told that Christianity, of which I am a part, is a dreadful rotten no-good very bad instigator of Everything Bad in the Universe. And it continues to annoy the fucking hell out of me until I go back to what I really ought to be doing, which is calling a fucking credit counseling agency for refugee Y and setting up an appointment, before following up with refugee Z whose brother is on the verge of being indicted for attempted murder.

I mean, bloody hell. How am I suppose to get my fair share of oppressing the world done in the chinks of time in between these things? Might have to give up the Ship to do it properly. Can't let Christendom down, you know.

Let's face it Lamb - I doubt if we'll get far with Martin. He seems to be treated as an endangered species on the ship.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

You are waiting for Martin to defend any of the nonsense he spouts about Christendom?

Don't hold your breath.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Lamb Chopped...Lamb Chopped...Lamb Chopped...

You are an American. America is a Christian nation. Therefore, the Vietnam War was a Christian war. Because it was a Christian war, the North Vietnamese were on the side of the angels. Hence, every negative consequence that stems from the Vietnam War is the fault of Christianity and American Christians of which you are one. So, working with the Vietnamese refugees is really the least you can do to make up for the part you played demonic Christian war in Vietnam.

Christendom is also responsible for the deaths of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper. That's right, Lamb Chopped. You killed the music.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I don't think he's an endangered species at all--I think he's quite clever and knows what he's doing when he winds people up. In fact, much of the time I like him--but I loathe this anti-Christian schtick, and especially the grand arrogant tone with which he pronounces it. Fair sets my teeth on edge.

Nor do I have any beef with how he's been treated--he's been pulled up sharply before, and is probably sailing pretty near the wind again.

And no, I don't think he's going to give me satisfaction on this, though I'd be glad to be pleasantly surprised. But I'll want more than an apology--I want to see a change. "Loving your neighbor" includes loving your Christian neighbor, and treating them, too, as Christ has treated you.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Beeswax Altar, you're right. (sobs) I was two bloody years old at the time, and I singlehandedly managed to destroy the peace and harmony of the entire Southeast Asian region. (It was the diapers that did it)

Oh, I forgot. Me and bloody Christendom.

I'm eeeeeeeeevillllll, I tell you, eeeeeevillll.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, I pretty much agree with the OP. MPC is pretty much a wanker (as is the OP though).

His posts cover up a lack of actual content.

Meaningless drivel masquerading as intellectual high-mindedness.

But I think that about most of you anyway so he's nowt special.

Been on me holidays. Back now. Have you missed me?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Christian institution , Christendom, whatever it is or isn't, does have a lot to answer for where love, forgiveness and peace are concerned.
100 years ago it wrought the exact opposite and I've yet to come across a satisfactory explanation as why this was so , although I think Martin came close with his phrase 'Book people'.

A person who truly loves their God, and uses this as a mechanism to love others and to discern good and bad in their own heart does , OtOH , have nothing over which they should reproach themselves.

Of course an individual Christian may fail , even on a daily basis , but when Christendom fails as a whole, as it did a Century ago, the results are spectacularly more devastating and hard to fathom.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not at my age and with diabetes etc, etc deano, you?

Lamb Chopped. God bless you. The good that you do shines in the darkness.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Talking of wankers, that's a nice fallacy you got there Beeswax.

--------------------
Love wins

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not at my age and with diabetes etc, etc deano, you?

Lamb Chopped. God bless you. The good that you do shines in the darkness.

Now and again, if the mood takes me. But I wasn't accusing you of the act, I was using it in the sense of a common, vulgar insult. Oh dear, wasn't my post clear?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

As a bell dear, hence my confusing. See my comment on the ISIS thread.

--------------------
Love wins

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Talking of wankers, that's a nice fallacy you got there Beeswax.

[Overused]

Wouldn't be the first one lately.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Rosa. [Biased]

--------------------
Love wins

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Well, maybe Rosa could point out an actual fallacy I'm making. Martin sure can't. He never does preferring instead to make vague and unsubstantiated claims. Perhaps Rosa prefers to take the Martin approach. It is easier.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Martin, you're doing a reverse ad hominem. Complimenting me isn't engaging with the point. Please?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Lamb Chopped. I didn't JUST compliment you. I acknowledge the good done by Christianity. The work of the Holy Spirit, the fruits of the Spirit empowered above and beyond any natural capability.

That good is all but swamped by mediocrity, by legalism, ritual, by silence, acquiescence and worse, on and on and ON. WE are pathetic. There's two billion of us. You'd suspect that a burger that was 30% salt would taste salty.

Even now there is NO clear voice, even from saint George, on how to respond to 'our' enemies, 'the' enemies of civilization; civilization - Babylon - is, we are, the enemy.

And we can't help it. We're innocent in this. The arc is incredibly long.

I accept that things happen at the margin and the positive influence of Christianity - of the fruits of the Spirit, of love - in 2000 years is probably disproportionate to its, His, marginal presence in us. But it's hard to see the God of history in history. And that's an understatement. Where is the synergy of our individually being a blessing? We'd miss it if it weren't there, but cannot discern it while it is. Like God in creation generally.

I expect too much of us I'm sure. This is it and will be for more hundreds of thousands of years.

Counsel me, on what I should feel and think and say and do.

--------------------
Love wins

orfeo

# 13878

I don't think I'd equate Christianity with Christendom. I suspect Martin doesn't either.

Usually it's either right-wing loonies or Muslim fanatics who treat the West as some kind of monolithic Christian land.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think I'd equate Christianity with Christendom...

...Muslim fanatics (who) treat the West as some kind of monolithic Christian land.

The state's main competence, I have been led to understand (Dooyeweerd, the judicial aspect) is the provision of law.

It is my guess that people who follow religions based in law might find it hard to imagine a religion as existing separately from the state. Some (eg IS) see the state as a necessary precondition for the proper practice of their religion. I expect that cultural/religious view bleeds all over their view of everyone else, Christians included.

As a tangent, the Chinese seem to have recently got their heads around this (render unto Caesar, etc), and the benefits to the historic West of an internalised Christian morality amongst some of the populace acting counter to the corruption problems always present with an externally applied state law. A happy result is that Christian churches are far more widely tolerated (and, I'm told, in some cases encouraged) there than was previously the case.

It's hard for the English. We're so very sorry for all the shit which must have happened to make us so wealthy, back in the day when 'we' were important. I guess US folks have that feeling coming. It may be some time before the Chinese are beating their breasts in shame over their current neo-colonial exploits in Africa; I wonder if the expansion of the Christian church in China means that if and when they do, they will do so in the name of christendom.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
Well, maybe Rosa could point out an actual fallacy I'm making. Martin sure can't. He never does preferring instead to make vague and unsubstantiated claims. Perhaps Rosa prefers to take the Martin approach. It is easier.

Your claim that big protests lead to riots. You ended up qualifying it, but your initial statement was hyperbole. Your claim that Martin is only popular among some due to his supposed change to left-wing views is another one.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I trust you got the double entendre Rosa?

He's missed his glaringly obvious non sequitur of course.

[ 21. August 2014, 21:16: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And orfeo, I'm not a right-wing loony any more so I must be a ... ?

--------------------
Love wins

deano
princess
# 12063

... complete fucking loony?

Is that the answer? "Complete fucking loony"?

I'll go with complete fucking loony!

--------------------

Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Martin

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
And orfeo, I'm not a right-wing loony any more so I must be a ... ?

Well, that depends on whether or not you are indeed intending to equate Christianity with Christendom, doesn't it?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
... complete fucking loony?

Is that the answer? "Complete fucking loony"?

I'll go with complete fucking loony!

Might be celibate.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

What do you think orfeo?

deano's right of course. Well as right as a person who is blinded, as the vast majority of Christians have been, by seeing darkness as light.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And no I'm not a wanker. Therefore I am a ...

--------------------
Love wins

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

... wankee? [Confused]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

... wankee? [Confused]
[Killing me]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016