homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dawkins is a Fool. God says so! (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dawkins is a Fool. God says so!
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean this scientific method?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your link excludes the other method: Formulate a hypothesis which contradicts an aspect of currently accepted hypotheses - Get publisher, make lots of money. When the tide turns, claim you never said that and continue with book and movie deals.

Application of science is far from smooth. Eventually things shake out.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Theology too is a science:

quote:
A systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.

But scientific materialism seems to be only interested in the physical sciences with no interest in the rest. A poor philosophy.
Right. Ladies and gentleman, on your right we have Einstein's Theory of General Relativity and the maths and physical evidence to support it. Please feel free to look through the repeatable experiments and try one yourself.
On your left, we have Religion with various, contradictory books and, erm, well....
So I suppose there is science and there is science.

Theology can be subject to empirical verification in some bits, but it is bigger than empiricism because it extends beyond the physical and natural worlds.

You're forgetting deductive and analytical reasoning with is a big part of science.

Even Einstein says:

quote:
Whether you can observe a thing or not depends on the theory which you use. It is the theory which decides what can be observed.
And he hints at the limitations of pure empiricism:

quote:
Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. To that extent I am, in point of fact, religious.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Well, yes, and science is not philosophy.

Science most certainly is philosophy. It is grounded in philosophy: e.g. a priori judgements.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
The only things "science" should be used to describe are things to which the scientific method is fundamentally applied.

Why?

That's a very new and very limited approach to science. Science is much more than empiricism. Empiricism is simply one part of it - usually restricted to the physical sciences. It is only one of several views of epistemology.

By empiricism alone, mathematical proofs and quantum theories would not count as science because they are abstractions derived from deductive reasoning.

And another Einstein quote on epistemology. [Big Grin]

quote:
How does it happen that a properly endowed natural scientist comes to concern himself with epistemology? Is there not some more valuable work to be done in his specialty? That's what I hear many of my colleagues ask, and I sense it from many more. But I cannot share this sentiment. When I think about the ablest students whom I have encountered in my teaching — that is, those who distinguish themselves by their independence of judgment and not just their quick-wittedness — I can affirm that they had a vigorous interest in epistemology. They happily began discussions about the goals and methods of science, and they showed unequivocally, through tenacious defense of their views, that the subject seemed important to them.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evensong: By empiricism alone, mathematical proofs and quantum theories would not count as science because they are abstractions derived from deductive reasoning.
The validity of Quantum Mechanics has been proven experimentally. That thing you are typing on right now wouldn't work without it.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, yes, and science is not philosophy. One of its great breakthroughs was to rid itself of philosophical speculation about reality and truth. It then became empirical and useful.

In some cases it decided it could get rid of ethics as well.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyway, I reckon you can apply to the scientific method to theology. Isn't that what I've done with homosexuality? I started off with a hypothesis that homosexual sex was inherently wrong, applied that hypothesis, and eventually I queried the hypothesis when I kept getting shitty results. Re-checked the evidence, changed to a new hypothesis, got much better results. Still refining the details of the hypothesis but I think I've got the basics right now.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Alright orfeo and Evensong,
Apply the scientific method to demonstrate a Christian principle. I am very curious.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

orfeo

# 13878

I thought I just did.

It depends on what you think a "Christian" principle is, though.

As far as I'm concerned, if the social sciences count as sciences in all their wishy-washy wooliness, I don't see why theology is so beyond the pale.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Evensong: By empiricism alone, mathematical proofs and quantum theories would not count as science because they are abstractions derived from deductive reasoning.
The validity of Quantum Mechanics has been proven experimentally. .
I'm not full bottle on quantum physics at all so forgive me if I get this wrong but I don't think string theory or this theory or that theory of another six dimensions or parallel worlds has been proven experimentally. Certainly not proven through the senses (empiricism ). They are abstractions from deductive reasoning. Much like the existence of God based on philosophical reasoning.

Yet I can't see people dismissing quantum science as unscientific.

Yet for some reason theology is considered unscientific.

Yet as Alan Creswell said on lilbud's purg thread: it's because the term has been taken over by the physical sciences.

Too narrow.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evensong: I'm not full bottle on quantum physics at all so forgive me if I get this wrong but I don't think string theory or this theory or that theory of another six dimensions or parallel worlds has been proven experimentally.
Your conflating two things here: basic Quantum Mechanics, and some of the more advanced potential theories. The latter haven't been proven, nobody claims they have been. They don't have the status of scientific theories; they're potential theories at most.

But basic Quantum Mechanics has been proven thoroughly. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to dismiss Quantum Mechanics as unscientific.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One reason that theology is not considered scientific is that it is not empirical. This means that it has fewer constraints that an empirical science does. Of course, it was once known as the queen of the sciences, but I think 'science' was being used differently then, more like 'scientiae', which meant knowledge. Hence Bacon said, 'ipsa scientia potestas est', or knowledge is power.

For that matter, mathematics is not scientific.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
One reason that theology is not considered scientific is that it is not empirical. This means that it has fewer constraints that an empirical science does. Of course, it was once known as the queen of the sciences, but I think 'science' was being used differently then, more like 'scientiae', which meant knowledge. Hence Bacon said, 'ipsa scientia potestas est', or knowledge is power.

It depends what you mean by Empirical, for instance does the stuff this journal publishes science!

The problem is that Empirical means a variety of things in different sciences and it means an even wider range of things when you get to the social sciences. There are definitely some forms of Empricism that can be used within Theology particularly at the "practical", "contextual" end of the range.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:

It depends what you mean by Empirical, for instance does the stuff this journal publishes science!

The problem is that Empirical means a variety of things in different sciences and it means an even wider range of things when you get to the social sciences. There are definitely some forms of Empricism that can be used within Theology particularly at the "practical", "contextual" end of the range.

Jengie

Yes, good point. I think some aspects of the study of religion are empirical, for example, sociological and psychological studies. I was really saying that the study of God is not empirical. But I think you are right, and many theology degrees now are very practically oriented.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:
Evensong: I'm not full bottle on quantum physics at all so forgive me if I get this wrong but I don't think string theory or this theory or that theory of another six dimensions or parallel worlds has been proven experimentally.
Your conflating two things here: basic Quantum Mechanics, and some of the more advanced potential theories. The latter haven't been proven, nobody claims they have been. They don't have the status of scientific theories; they're potential theories at most.

But basic Quantum Mechanics has been proven thoroughly. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to dismiss Quantum Mechanics as unscientific.

Sure. But it does make the advanced potential theories unscientific. But I doubt people see it that way. Quantum theory armchair enthusiasts certainly think they're being scientific.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

I've been doing a bit of reading around definitions.

RooK's link on the scientific method stresses empiricism as fundamental. Empiricism "is a theory which states that knowledge comes only or primarily from sensory experience"

Interestingly, rationalism is apparently one of its greatest rivals and "is defined as a methodology or a theory "in which the criterion of the truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive"

So the hardcore scientific materialists that believe only the empirical method is true, are not rationalists. But they usually claim they are.

Theology therefore is philosophically rationalist.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure. But it does make the advanced potential theories unscientific. But I doubt people see it that way. Quantum theory armchair enthusiasts certainly think they're being scientific.
Find a decent bookshop or library and get hold of Richard Feynman's "Quantum ElectroDynamics". It describes the basis of QM in a way even I can understand (so long as I'm reading the book at the time: I admit some of it is counter-intuitive).

Once that basis is sound it isn't wrong to build on it. One day, they will have been whittled away too, and the body of certain fact will be greater.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Evensong: Sure. But it does make the advanced potential theories unscientific. But I doubt people see it that way. Quantum theory armchair enthusiasts certainly think they're being scientific.
Alan may correct me if I'm wrong, but my perception is that scientists don't see things like string theory as scientific yet. Because they haven't been empirically proven. What the media or the public thinks about it may be a different matter though.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends what you mean by scientific. It sounds like it's being used as "believed to be true, scientifically". But the problem is that scientific models and theories don't really work that way. String theory is scientific, in that it's a scientific theory that follows a scientific method. Whether it will ultimately be shown to be valid or accurate is another question.

Newtonian physics is both 'true' and 'false', in that the model is accurate and works when applied, but is not the whole picture, and so when you get to a quantum scale is no longer accurate.

AFAIUI (and I'm not a scientist, I'm sure Alan can set us right), it's often a theory's completeness that is the issue, not whether it's true or not.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I agree with goperryrevs. We're basically just debating semantics here.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

^ I said that nearly 40 posts ago.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

We're not "just" debating semantics.

Semantics are the basis of communication. If you disregard semantics, you disregard understanding.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
It depends what you mean by scientific. It sounds like it's being used as "believed to be true, scientifically". But the problem is that scientific models and theories don't really work that way.

Empiricism does.

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
String theory is scientific, in that it's a scientific theory that follows a scientific method.

Not so according to the Wikipedia article RooK posted:

quote:
The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[1] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[2]
By that definition String theory is not scientific.

[ 04. October 2014, 13:27: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Evensong: Semantics are the basis of communication. If you disregard semantics, you disregard understanding.
I'm off to a party where I'll drink beer and play some samba on my guitar. I'll willingly, happily disregard understanding right now. I wish you good luck.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Enjoy. [Big Grin]

Semantics will keep. It'll dog you forever and ever and ever. You shall never escape . Mwuahahahahaha! [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Sure. Except that it's status as a theory depends on its compliance with other empirical evidence, and it would be extremely useful for our sum of knowledge to find a way to empirically test it directly.

Unlike theology, in which empirical evidence is both unnecessary (or just plain ignored) and essentially useless for building knowledge. But it has other uses.

As soon as you try to pit spirituality versus knowledge, both lose. Which is sort of like the entirety of your brain.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.[1] To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning.[2]
String theory is not a method of inquiry.
Moreover, the sciences are a body of techniques that all operate together. You want to have some empirical support at some point in the process, but just because you haven't got empirical support yet doesn't mean you're not being scientific yet.

Principia Mathematica, by Isaac Newton, contains no references to any specific empirical evidence as far as I can tell. It would be a brave person who claimed that Principia Mathematica wasn't scientific.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
Case in point on this thread with Mousethief in response to HughWillRidmee:
quote:
But, see, I really don't give a fuck what YOU think the basics of MY religion are. It's rather presumptuous of you to even try to tell me.
, but no attempt to offer what they are instead. Which suggests to me that the first bullet point is simply something to hide behind.
If you were reading the thread for content and not for things to pick fights with you might have noticed that I do come back and tell what the basics of my beliefs are. But don't let me stop a good rant.

I'm amazed you think there's something wrong with somebody saying "that's not what I believe" when someone else has cast them as believing something they don't actually believe. It's as if you think you really DO have a right to tell me what I believe. Which is just astounding.

Er, in which which post in this thread did you expound the basics of your beliefs? Because I can't see anywhere you got anywhere close, or even tried. Making things up doesn't make them true.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I can't cope with breaking up LeRoc's response to mine bit by bit so I'll just have to respond at a generic level.

Krister Stendhal's principles are all fine and dandy, except they don't seem to work both ways. I.e. Christians seem perfectly happy to define what an atheist is but get really upset if it works the other way. Also there seems to be a deliberate failure to recognise the pretty simple fact that in English "you" can mean either singular or plural collective. Atheists are not talking about what individual Christians believe. So when we talk about "you" we are talking about christianity not you personally. I would have thought that was obvious.

However, that misinterpretation seems to be underpin the basic response , i.e. LeRoc's. Unfortunately I've seen it enough times that I can only see it as deliberate.

Thanks for your arrogance, but I do understand what the No True Scotsman fallacy means. And again the deliberate misinterpretation of the generic Christian "you" as meaning you personally (I don't believe that so it's not Christianity) fits very well within the parameters of the No True Scotsman fallacy. (I see you don't respond to the exposure of your own incorrect accusation regarding Strawmen.)

Finally you say you'd be happy to debate your faith with an atheist who'd obey a series of Christian imposed parameters. (By the way have you noticed the way on these boards that the theists can be adamant what atheism is, so fuck the first of Stendhal's rules.) But my question was whether you would debate in good faith? You have responded to my post selectively and in a skewed manner so unless you can convince me otherwise I would suggest the jury is no longer out.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
quote:
String theory is not a method of inquiry.
Moreover, the sciences are a body of techniques that all operate together. You want to have some empirical support at some point in the process, but just because you haven't got empirical support yet doesn't mean you're not being scientific yet.

Principia Mathematica, by Isaac Newton, contains no references to any specific empirical evidence as far as I can tell. It would be a brave person who claimed that Principia Mathematica wasn't scientific.

The same principles could be applied to areas like theology (the study of God) or philosophy. Ergo I don't see why we can't call theology a science.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What observations of God are universally agreed and interpreted the same way repeatedly to start using as a basis of a theory? The whole point of scientific observations that they are replicable.

The attempts at replicable results from prayer have come up with zip. So do you have anything else you can use as a replicable, universally recognised observation to start showing theology as a science?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:

Sure. Except that it's status as a theory depends on its compliance with other empirical evidence, and it would be extremely useful for our sum of knowledge to find a way to empirically test it directly.

Unlike theology, in which empirical evidence is both unnecessary (or just plain ignored) and essentially useless for building knowledge. But it has other uses.

As soon as you try to pit spirituality versus knowledge, both lose. Which is sort of like the entirety of your brain.

I think theology historically has been extremely useful for building knowledge. (By knowledge I assume you mean knowledge of the natural world here.)

The first "scientists" believed in an ordered universe created by God and sought to unravel its secrets. The guy that formulated the Big Bang theory was a Catholic priest.

It's only recently that there has been a mind, body soul divide.

And I don't think theology ignores empirical evidence at all if empirical evidence is defined as those things available to our senses. We can see that what we think about God and the universe and the meaning of life makes a big difference on how we behave, what we value and what we spend our energies on.

Interestingly; when the Big Bang theory first came about it was rejected by many because it was considered too close to the Christian idea that the universe had a beginning.

Now it's used against the idea of God for some reason but historically it was the exact opposite.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

God is also usually reckoned to be supernatural. So people are proposing to use various methods from the study of nature, for the study of the supernatural? I am also curious how observations will be made, repeated, falsified, predicted, and so on.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
What observations of God are universally agreed and interpreted the same way repeatedly to start using as a basis of a theory? The whole point of scientific observations that they are replicable.

String theory is not replicable as yet ( just like the existence of God is not replicable as yet). So by your definition string theory or pure maths is not science. See above on rationalism and empiricism as competing philosophies.

quote:
God is also usually reckoned to be supernatural. So people are proposing to use various methods from the study of nature, for the study of the supernatural? I am also curious how observations will be made, repeated, falsified, predicted, and so on.

The study of nature was earlier deemed to be a study of God's glorious creation. It is now proceeding in a similar bent, just without the God factor. Efficient cause becomes the end rather than the formal cause.

But no you can't study the supernatural purely from the natural because the supernatural is beyond the natural as well as in it. So you can see in part but not in full if you study the world. That's the definition of panentheism (which is a fairly orthodox Christian position).

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that string theory so far is a scientific speculation for which scientists are working with to develop hypotheses that can be tested (or testable though we may not have the tools yet to do the testing). It may go the way of ether or it might not.

Mathematics is a tool not a science but a very useful tool.

Now is theology (or some parts of theology) like mathematics in that it takes a set of axioms and tries to derive some conclusions? In which case at least three possible criticism might be made (1) that some of the axioms are unrealistic and (2) that some of the conclusions are contradictory and so the system is flawed and (3) the deductions are not valid. Or is theology (or some parts of theology) like art?

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

String theory is not replicable as yet ( just like the existence of God is not replicable as yet). So by your definition string theory or pure maths is not science. See above on rationalism and empiricism as competing philosophies.

quote:

The study of nature was earlier deemed to be a study of God's glorious creation. It is now proceeding in a similar bent, just without the God factor. Efficient cause becomes the end rather than the formal cause.

But no you can't study the supernatural purely from the natural because the supernatural is beyond the natural as well as in it. So you can see in part but not in full if you study the world. That's the definition of panentheism (which is a fairly orthodox Christian position).

I think this is all kiddology. If you really think that theology (as the study of God) is a science, then show me some links, where scientific observations are made about God. Here, for comparison, is a popular article in astronomy about observations made about quasar accretion discs:

http://www.universetoday.com/90714/hubble-telescope-directly-observes-quasar-accretion-disc-surrounding-black-hole/

[ 05. October 2014, 13:54: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

This! Mother fucking this.
This is what is at the root of the annoyance which caused my OP in Purg.
Equating religion with science is Jesus riding a dinosaur. Not only is it wrong, it misses the point entirely.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't think this is true. It's just that the sort of empirical evidence that is relevant involves the whole of your life, and is impossible to digest without so much interpretation that it's immensely immensely tricky to get any clear consensus on what the empirical evidence supports.

If we exclude mathematics and formal logic as special cases, disciplines run from:
chemistry (80-90% based on discrete observations with obvious interpretations)
physics (with cosmology and quantum physics somewhat lower down the chart)
biology
ethnology
psychology
economics
anthropology and cultural studies
philosophy and theology (0-5% based on discrete observations with single obvious interpretations)

But there isn't any distinct cutoff at which one could say knowledge turns into not knowledge but something else.

[ 05. October 2014, 14:46: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Pre-cambrian:Krister Stendhal's principles are all fine and dandy, except they don't seem to work both ways. I.e. Christians seem perfectly happy to define what an atheist is but get really upset if it works the other way.
I see that you're using the Classical Schoolyard Defence™: "But Miss, the other ones are doing it too!" Like I said, I would adhere to Stendhal's rules in a discussion with an atheist.

quote:
Pre-cambrian: Also there seems to be a deliberate failure to recognise the pretty simple fact that in English "you" can mean either singular or plural collective. Atheists are not talking about what individual Christians believe. So when we talk about "you" we are talking about christianity not you personally. I would have thought that was obvious.
It doesn't matter if you use a generic 'you' or a specific 'you'. Don't tell others what they believe.

quote:
Pre-cambrian: Thanks for your arrogance, but I do understand what the No True Scotsman fallacy means.
No you don't. Not by a long shot.

quote:
Pre-cambrian: Finally you say you'd be happy to debate your faith with an atheist who'd obey a series of Christian imposed parameters.
They're just basic human decency. "Don't tell others what they believe, ask them" is a good standard in any discussion, between atheists or Christians, people of different beliefs, people of different political opinions ...

quote:
Pre-cambrian: (By the way have you noticed the way on these boards that the theists can be adamant what atheism is, so fuck the first of Stendhal's rules.)
You're repeating yourself. The Classic Schoolyard Defence again. I would abide with Stendhal's rules.

quote:
Pre-cambrian: But my question was whether you would debate in good faith?
I always debate in good faith (whatever that means).

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:

Trying to debate with Christians is like trying to grapple with a jelly. Or to put it less diplomatically it looks as if whatever we say your response (collectively, not you personally, LeRoc) will be simply to contradict, even if it contradicts what you previously said, let alone what you would say to other Christians.

Even less diplomatically, do I think you debate in good faith? The jury's out (and that is being diplomatic.).

Thank you – exactly my thoughts but so much better put.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
If you were reading the thread for content and not for things to pick fights with you might have noticed that I do come back and tell what the basics of my beliefs are. But don't let me stop a good rant.

Perhaps Pre-cambrian noticed that I asked you to explain what your jargon meant to you. Since there was no worthwhile reply I tried to prise out some info. So, tell me which bit(s) of God, Heaven, Soul, Prayer, Sin (Original and non-original), Redemption are not part of your religion and we can make a start of sorts.

quote:
Faith in scientific materialism of the brand Hugh seems to subscribe to is not compatible with faith in God. It is too narrow a viewpoint.

It would, would it not, be equally valid to suggest that religion is trying to broaden a viewpoint that doesn’t need broadening? It’s called creating a need.
I don’t know if there will be a time when we can explain every detail of our lives (I’ll be long dead if it ever happens) but the god-of-the-gaps is a discredited alternative.

quote:
The only things "science" should be used to describe are things to which the scientific method is fundamentally applied.

Absolutely. Where science can’t be used we enter the realm of opinion where we are able to request information and, if we can get any, discuss possibilities in the knowledge that they are, at best, potential scenarios.

quote:
Theology can be subject to empirical verification in some bits, but it is bigger than empiricism because it extends beyond the physical and natural worlds.

Only if there is something beyond the physical and natural worlds. If so it is, ISTM inevitably, beyond our understanding – if not, indeed either way, then the conviction is a drag on getting on with sorting out what we are pretty sure does exist. You choose to think there is something – I, because of the lack of what I see as evidence in its favour and the lack of need for it, am unable to do so. My stance, as I see it, has the advantage of not needing complex and contradictory thought constructions to try to make sense of something fundamentally without substance. (in other words - like me it's simple).

For clarity - My dislike is not of superstitious belief per se (of which I count religion but a subset) it’s of the way superstitious belief is sometimes used to control/subjugate/harm human beings through fear of things imagined. Bluntly – people should be free to believe whatever they want, but the only person whose life they are entitled to impinge upon via their belief is themselves. Doing good is fine, doing harm wrapped in the smugness of superstitious holier-than-thou is wickedness in a lamb’s skin. Unfortunately religion, based upon conviction rather than evidence, tends to counter this with certainties and concepts such as the great commission. Totally unsupported certainties can lead to “The very worst it (a nuclear holocaust) could do would be to sweep a vast number of people at one time from this world into the other and more vital world, into which anyhow they must pass at one time” Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury 1958?

Offline for a few days - enjoy.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
I would say that string theory so far is a scientific speculation for which scientists are working with to develop hypotheses that can be tested (or testable though we may not have the tools yet to do the testing). It may go the way of ether or it might not.

Same with theology or philosophy.

quote:

Mathematics is a tool not a science but a very useful tool.

If you asked the man or woman on the street whether mathematics was a science, I reckon 99% would say yes.

quote:

Now is theology (or some parts of theology) like mathematics in that it takes a set of axioms and tries to derive some conclusions?

Yes.

But all schools of thought take a set of axioms and derive some conclusions. The empirical method is based on axioms.

quote:
In which case at least three possible criticism might be made (1) that some of the axioms are unrealistic

Axioms will vary depending on the school of thought. In my denomination, scripture, tradition, reason/experience are the basic axioms through which conclusions are derived. In empiricism, the senses are technically those axioms. A rationalist would say the axioms of empiricism are unrealistic. An empiricist would describe scripture as an unrealistic axiom perhaps etc. etc.

quote:
(2) that some of the conclusions are contradictory and so the system is flawed

When clinical experiments are conducted ( say studies on causes of heart disease) are contradictory, the system (medicine) is not considered to be flawed, the evidence or the initial question that framed the experiments are considered flawed or incomplete. Same can be said for theology.

quote:
Or is theology (or some parts of theology) like art?

Armchair theology might be more like art (eisegesis), but academic theology is a discipline where you have to reason and prove your point with evidence just like any other discipline. My theology degree was not simply an easy flight of fancy speculating about my faith. It was bloody hard, nit picking, carefully reasoned and researched work.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
think this is all kiddology. If you really think that theology (as the study of God) is a science, then show me some links, where scientific observations are made about God.

Sure.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
quote:

Only if there is something beyond the physical and natural worlds. If so it is, ISTM inevitably, beyond our understanding – if not, indeed either way, then the conviction is a drag on getting on with sorting out what we are pretty sure does exist. You choose to think there is something – I, because of the lack of what I see as evidence in its favour and the lack of need for it, am unable to do so. My stance, as I see it, has the advantage of not needing complex and contradictory thought constructions to try to make sense of something fundamentally without substance. (in other words - like me it's simple).
Yes. Quite right. We begin from different axioms.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you asked the man or woman on the street whether mathematics was a science, I reckon 99% would say yes.

If people's opinions in any way affected fundamental reality, that would matter. But it doesn't.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

If people's opinions in any way affected fundamental reality, that would matter. But it doesn't.
The scientific method is a human construct, not "fundamental reality".

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:

I thought we were discussing what "science" means according to most people.

Theology used to be considered a science ( the Queen of the sciences because it dealt with the big picture) but today the term has been primarily hijacked by the physical and biological sciences because of a popular philosophical shift to empiricism as "the basis of truth" as opposed to a more rationalistic understanding "in which the criterion of the truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive".

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a Maths professor who swore blind that Maths was in fact an art, but he was also a colossal gaping asshole, so I don't know how seriously to take his opinion.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
I knew a Maths professor who swore blind that Maths was in fact an art, but he was also a colossal gaping asshole, so I don't know how seriously to take his opinion.

Tricky. It's not unusual for people to be experts in their own field and spectacularly useless everywhere else. Maybe he hasn't a clue about an 'art' or a deep and abiding hatred of the dean of the science faculty.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

This! Mother fucking this.
This is what is at the root of the annoyance which caused my OP in Purg.
Equating religion with science is Jesus riding a dinosaur. Not only is it wrong, it misses the point entirely.

Really? That's what that thread is about? Because to the casual observer, it would probably look like some posters carefully explaining to (mainly) you why scientism (or STEM supremacy as Wood is wont to call it) is a problem - viz, it takes a method that is self-limiting from the get go and attempts to apply it to everything in a self-contradictory manner - and you - deliberately or otherwise - misconstruing that fairly straightforward point.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
HughWillRidmee: Thank you – exactly my thoughts but so much better put.
Out of interest: do you feel that debating with Christians is more difficult on the Ship than anywhere else?

I feel that I'm rather puzzled by the suggestion that I haven't been debating in good faith. Not upset, but puzzled. I have the idea that I'm pretty constant in my beliefs.

Pre-cambrian seems to suggest that I have a habit of contradicting what I've previously said (I guess I'm included in those who are accused of that). If you could point to an instance where you feel I've done that, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016