homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hong Kong police.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hong Kong police.
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I spent half the day praising the Hong Kong Police for the restraint and professionalism they showed on Thursday night. But after today's events - the orchestrated ambush of student protestors, including numerous sexual assaults by triad thugs on female university and school students, the hours of abuse and violence endured by demonstrators in Mong Kok while police wrung their hands: now I say -

Hong Kong Police, you are cowards, and you are a disgrace to your uniforms and to Hong Kong. How comfortable you were on Sunday, gassing peaceful protestors with their hands up. And how little you did today, to face down known criminals and paid thugs on the streets.

People know and will never forget. Cowards, shameful, trafficking with the people you are supposed to protect us from, predators, criminals. And you still are letting it continue, allowing these thugs to be transported to the Admiralty site for fresh attacks.

Cowards. Stand up. Put your fucking helmets on now. Where's your pepper spray now? Where are your shotguns?

Cowards. Stand up. Let's see you.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Preach it. Craven assholes.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless them, for they know not what they do.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole thing has been an exercise in letting us know who our real bosses are.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:
The whole thing has been an exercise in letting us know who our real bosses are.

[Waterworks]

This was crystal clear from the moment of the Sino-British Joint Declaration. It was fantasy to believe that Beijing would keep its hands off. I have trouble accepting that any of the signatories actually believed it would. Especially as capitalism gained strength on the mainland, the CPC believes it can move in more strongly and not kill the golden goose. That has been the only thing that has slowed their roll in the past.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:

[Waterworks]

This was crystal clear from the moment of the Sino-British Joint Declaration. It was fantasy to believe that Beijing would keep its hands off. I have trouble accepting that any of the signatories actually believed it would. Especially as capitalism gained strength on the mainland, the CPC believes it can move in more strongly and not kill the golden goose. That has been the only thing that has slowed their roll in the past.
I meant that. But also of course, the reminder that at street level, triads and police collude to maintain the 'social order' their bosses enjoy so much.

Meanwhile I hear the Hong Kong Police are going to commemorate their role in this period of history with a small change to their uniforms: wide yellow stripes down the inseam of their trousers.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not think it was actual cowardice, I think it was a deliberate tactic. Which is no better, mind.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe there is a better word, but I knew what he meant. The police don't want to muddy their hands with overt impropriety, so they get someone else to do it.

At least the Oakland PD had the strength of character to be total dicks in public.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
I do not think it was actual cowardice, I think it was a deliberate tactic. Which is no better, mind.

Agreed, there is a dash of cleverness about it as well though. Well if you want to ignore the Police.....look these people can do that too. Whachya gunna do about it call the Police who you have spurned?

Not saying it's right mind.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

I've no doubt there's some strategy to it, crude though it is.

And I think the cowardice is, first and foremost, institutional. The Hong Kong Police are letting themselves be used as a political tool. Their senior leadership are just going along with it.

But I also really *do* mean, some of those officers are chickenshit cowards, all bluster and pointing fingers and swinging batons when they are dealing with squeaky voiced students; but backing off and being positively deferential when faced with fit, hard determined criminals.

Not to mention that in at least some cases, there was open collusion between triads and police units - the triads formed up and stormed into the demonstrators, and the police followed up immediately to 'reclaim' occupied space.

--------------------

Peppone
Marine
# 3855

Mind you, here's some perspective:

43 students go missing in Mexico - mass grave found

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, no, no no-- I did mission work there! [Waterworks] [Mad]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peppone, I very much value your news from the front. As for the police being a political tool with the underworld, it is always thus everywhere.

The Chinese monolith just has to continue to be patient, quite remarkably restrained. Wise. Worldly wise, but wise.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

Martin, I am just back home from a seven hour stint down at the Mong Kok protest area.

I felt very bad leaving, because as numbers dwindle, those left behind are very vulnerable to attacks by triads. But I have to work tomorrow.

But if you could see how those kids handle themselves! Facing down thugs, hands up in surrender. Amazing. To be honest I don't even think that Mong Kok site should be open now. The protesters should evacuate it and go to join all the others at the Central Government Office. But as long as they want to stay there, I will find time to go down and try and provide them some safety in numbers.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You and they have my useless tears. God bless you Peppone. Stay safe. Not a word on BBC rolling news for a couple of days now. The Chinese handled this brilliantly.

--------------------
Love wins

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016