homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Yes, a true Scotsman!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Yes, a true Scotsman!
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm calling all Shipmates to Hell who don't understand the No True Scotsman fallacy. I'm seeing this fallacy invoked over and over again when it hasn't actually been committed. Shouting "No True Scotsman fallacy!" when your opponent hasn't actually committed one is dumb. It shows that you don't really understand this fallacy which makes you look incredibly stupid.

Here's a lesson. The No True Scotsman fallacy in its basic form goes like this:

A: No X would ever do Y.
B: Z is an X and he does Y.
A: But Z is not a true X.
B: No True Scotsman fallacy!

In this example, the fallacy has been invoked correctly. A has committed a logical error indeed.

However, almost all of the times this fallacy is invoked on the Ship, it goes like this:

A: Doing Y is not an inherent characteristic of being X.

The invocation of the fallacy is false here. A has committed no logical error. You may disagree with his statement, but you cannot invoke the No True Scotsman fallacy to prove him wrong.

Some examples:

A: No Muslim would ever commit an act of violence.
B: Bin Laden is a Muslim, and he committed acts of violence.
A: But Bin Laden is not a real Muslim.

The No True Scotsman fallacy has been invoked correctly. A has indeed committed a logical error.

A: Violence isn't an inherent trait of Islam.

The No True Scotsman fallacy has been invoked wrongly here. A committed no logical error. You may disagree with his statement, but you cannot invoke the No True Scotsman fallacy to prove him wrong.

Another one.

A: No Christian would ever be divisive and flame conflicts.
B: Paisley was divisive and he flamed conflicts.
A: But Paisley was not a true Christian.

Correct invocation of the fallacy.

A: I don't consider being divisive and flaming conflicts like Paisley did to be characteristic of Christianity.

Wrong invocation of the fallacy.

These are just some examples I've found on the Ship. There are much, much more. Just search for the word "Scotsman" on the Ship, you'll find lots and lots of examples of this fallacy being invoked wrongly. It's stupid.

Once again, the basic form of the No True Scotsman fallacy is this:

Mathematically, the fallacy is about defining a set of people, and redefining it later on in the discussion. But person A needs to actually do that. He actually needs to define the set and then redefine it. He actually needs to say "No X would ever do Y". Defining a limited set in itself is not a fallacy.

I hereby propose that whenever someone accuses his/her opponent of committing the No True Scotsman fallacy, (s)he needs to take the definition of the fallacy, fill in what X, Y and Z are, and actually show that the other person has committed this fallacy.

Otherwise they're just morons.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't Wood create this thread in Purgatory a couple of weeks ago?
( Thread here.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems you could save yourself a bit of trouble by starting with 'No *true* x would do y' in the first place.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes he did, and I posted there. Since then, I've seen two or three more instances of the fallacy being invoked wrongly. I thought it might attract a bit more attention here.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Yes he did, and I posted there. Since then, I've seen two or three more instances of the fallacy being invoked wrongly. I thought it might attract a bit more attention here.

If they take the time and trouble to read your lengthy post (unlikely), what makes you think they will understand it? (no more likely)

So you're looking at the combination of two unlikely states. I'm afraid most of your target audience will, in your words, remain moronic.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sioni Sais: So you're looking at the combination of two unlikely states. I'm afraid most of your target audience will, in your words, remain moronic.
I'm afraid you're right. It's so bloody stupid. Oh well, I guess I just wanted to get it off my chest. Sorry for making this mess in your Hell.

--------------------

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I blame the Scots.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No true Scotsman would get the "No True Scotsman" fallacy wrong.

But many Scotsmen do!

They are not true Scotsmen!

Phases and stages, circles and cycles, and scenes that we've all seen before.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was Ian Paisley a true Scotsman? [Confused]

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure that it's a confusion so much as a shorthand.

Consider the true version of the fallacy:

Violence is alien to Christianity
What about the Inquistion?
They weren't real Christians
No true Scotsman!

This is Le Roc's version of the shorthand.

No true Scotsman!

Now, I agree that some of the moves are missing, but effectively Christianity has been defined in a question-begging way that eliminates the historical record from any assessment of it's de-merits. The no true Scotsman fallacy, in this case, is implicit rather than explicit but the whole business of not counting evidence against ones case is, nonetheless present.

It's possible to re-frame the assertion in a non-question begging way, of course. e.g. to say something like: "The activities of the inquisition and the theology underpinning them were a sub-Christian betrayal of the teaching of Jesus of Nazareth".

But one doesn't avoid committing a logical fallacy by mere sleight of hand.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Gildas: This is Le Roc's version of the shorthand.

No true Scotsman!

No, it isn't. My version of the shorthand would be:

Violence isn't an inherent trait of Christianity.
No true Scotsman!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

The longhand version of this would go something like this.

A: Violence isn't an inherent trait of Christianity.
B: What about the Inquisition?
A: I admit that violence has been done in the name if Christianity, but they don't represent all of Christianity.

Wrong invocation of the fallacy. And this has happened a lot of times to me on the Ship.

Of course, after this you can have a long discussion on what is or what isn't an inherent trait of Christianity and whether the Inquisition represents it. But then you're already outside of True Scotsman territory.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I seem to recall being told this as follows

A: All Scotsmen put salt on their porridge - it's only soft southerners who use sugar instead
B: My uncle Hamish McTavish who lives in the croft just outside Inverness where he was born always uses sugar not salt when we visit him
A: Your uncle is no true scotsman

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The No True Scotsman fallacy in its basic form goes like this:

In this example, the fallacy has been invoked correctly. A has committed a logical error indeed.

Not true. Speaker A commits a fallacy here if, and only if, there is a redefinition that has no other purpose than precisely to exclude the counterexample of Speaker B. Otherwise this exchange can simply indicate a clarification. Typically this means a conflict of definitions: other people define X in a manner that Speaker A finds invalid, and Speaker B has highlighted this.

Thus to pick one of LeRoc's false examples:

quote:
A: No Christian would ever be divisive and flame conflicts.
B: Paisley was divisive and he flamed conflicts.
A: But Paisley was not a true Christian.

Correct invocation of the fallacy.

No, this is not a fallacy at all, or at least it certainly need not be one. If Speaker A in fact defines a Christian as someone who would never be divisive and enflame conflicts, then his reaction to Speaker B's counterexample Paisely is perfectly valid. He is simply saying that while Paisely may have claimed to be a Christian, according to Speaker A he isn't one. Paisely was a false Christian (somebody who claimed to be Christian but was not) according to the very criterion that Speaker A has initially proposed. There is no redefinition here, merely an acknowledgement that other people use the word differently as shown by Speaker B's counterexample.

Notably, the "original" versions of this fallacy (as listed by Wikipedia) works because there is an universally accepted definition of what it means to be a Scotsman, namely to have Scottish nationality. The fallacy grips because we find it absurd to say that someone is Scottish if they have Scottish nationality and do not put sugar on their porridge. The addendum is artificial by the strength of the definition via nationality alone. But while the idea that everybody who is baptised is Christian is very common, it is not sufficiently universal even among Christians to consider every other definition as artificial.

In other words, the "No true Scotsman" fallacy requires a "Scotsman", it requires a universally accepted definition against which this fallacy can be committed. Otherwise we simply get a clarification of the definitions held by the speaker, just like we saw above that one can define "Christian" so that Paisely was not a Christian (even though he thought that he was).

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tell me, how long do you think a true Hellhost would wait before hurling a large lyre in the general direction of a bunch of annoying Shipmates milling about in Hell?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've always wondered about the origin of the saying:

Lyre! Lyre! Your pants are on fire!

Obviously it came from Hell.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a special corner of Hell reserved for people who make a habit of bad puns.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
There's a special corner of Hell reserved for people who make a habit of bad puns.

It's just next to the corner reserved for those who make habits out of bad nuns.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel a Circus thread coming on!

[ 06. October 2014, 15:55: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what's all this harping about? [Two face]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't we have a referendum on this fallacy a couple of weeks back? Or was that about something else?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love this Ship so much.

You boys are so sexy when you're waving your nerdiness around in public for all to see. I need to be hosed down with some photos of dumb jocks.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Didn't we have a referendum on this fallacy a couple of weeks back? Or was that about something else?

But that wasn't a true fallacy. I wonder if you have fallen for the no true fallacy fallacy.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I need to be hosed down with some photos of dumb jocks.

Awesome idea.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I love this Ship so much.

You boys are so sexy when you're waving your nerdiness around in public for all to see. I need to be hosed down with some photos of dumb jocks.

No true Scotsman phallusy.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
But that wasn't a true fallacy. I wonder if you have fallen for the no true fallacy fallacy.

If he had fallen for the no true fallacy fallacy, then he would have affirmed that this wasn't a true fallacy. Instead, he appears to think that it was a true fallacy by popular vote. The one who has fallen for the no true fallacy fallacy is rather you, since you indeed assert that it wasn't a true fallacy!

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is getting downright Monty Pythonesque.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread describes why I never went past Philosophy 101. [brick wall]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I usually avoid this thread. I made the mistake of trying to read the last few posts. Are they really written in English?

My head hurts.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:

But was it a true referendum?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But was it a true referendum?

No true referendum would give a result the majority didn't want...

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

No true Monty Python sketch would be this protracted.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Life of Brian was nothing but one big long Monty Python sketch.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

"No it wasn't!"

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Quite. Graham Chapman would have been along ages ago to proclaim that "This is getting silly". I don't want it to get any sillier. Geddit?

Sioni Sais
Hell host

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was fun while it lasted.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite Matt Black.

And the Monty is wayyyyy over-egging the pudding.

Only a true American would do this.

[ 01. November 2014, 00:00: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Quite Matt Black.

Go home Martin60, you're drunk!
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Have you any cheese?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Quite Matt Black.

Go home Martin60, you're drunk!
Quite. Let sleeping threads lie.

ANOTHER pointless Martin60 thread CLOSED Please, just quit it already. Next time, it will be referred to the admins.

—Ariston, Hellhost

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016