homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why UKIP Really is Scum (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Why UKIP Really is Scum
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
Fuck off and go learn Esperanto.

I think I love you.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Imperial is as dead as perches and ells.

Not round here it's not.
How quaint. A resident of Royston Vasey.
Doc Tor: do you drive a car?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Try learning to fly in UK. We measure horizontal distances in metric, height in feet and speed in knots. [Axe murder]

[ 18. October 2014, 21:41: Message edited by: rufiki ]

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The last time I wanted some bits of timber I was quoted 52p per metre of 2 by 2. Yes, that's 2" by 2" cross section.

What's worse is that these are all 'nominal' measurements anyway, i.e. the measurements made before they plane them smooth, so you actually get somewhat less.

I asked if I could pay in nominal pounds and shave a bit off.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not round here it's not.
Well yes, and having mph foisted on me does seem a complete anachronism, given that my entire professional life is lived in SI units. Bloody hell, even paper is measured in gsm.

Sorry and all, but it's dead, dead, dead. Doesn't mean it's lost its charm or wistfulness for days gone by. Just its utility.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
And have you seen the confusion when both "mils" and "mm" are used on the same product? It isn't fun.

And there are enough Brits who have the habit of saying "mills" to mean "millimetres"...

Although, to be fair, I've never seen a screwup based on confusing mm and mils. We seem to be able to screw up easily enough by using out of date drawings, just plain wrong drawings, and in a piece of pure genius I saw the other day, a drawing that indicated that the sum of 30.8 inches and 28.6 inches was 54.3 inches. You have to try quite hard to generate that...

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well yes, and having mph foisted on me does seem a complete anachronism, given that my entire professional life is lived in SI units.

It's not unreasonable to use m/s to measure the speed of your car, but it makes it rather harder to calculate how much further it will take you to get to Grandma's.
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Bloody hell, even paper is measured in gsm.

Paper is measured in inches -- standard letter size paper is 8 1/2" x 11" -- and in pounds -- a ream (500 sheets) of 17x22 bond paper that weighs 20 pounds is known as 20-pound paper. Of course, that 17x20 sheet is four times as big as letter-size paper, so a ream of 20-pound bond paper weighs 5 pounds. [Big Grin]
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Paper is measured in inches -- standard letter size paper is 8 1/2" x 11"

Except that standard paper in most of the world is A4, which is slightly different, and has its origins in metric.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216#A_series

[ 19. October 2014, 06:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not round here it's not.
Well yes, and having mph foisted on me does seem a complete anachronism, given that my entire professional life is lived in SI units. Bloody hell, even paper is measured in gsm.

Sorry and all, but it's dead, dead, dead. Doesn't mean it's lost its charm or wistfulness for days gone by. Just its utility.

I'm not sure how you can proclaim something to be 'dead, dead, dead' when you have to use it extensively every time you get in your car? (Unless you ignore the speedometer and any road signs, which is of course possible...)
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Paper is measured in inches -- standard letter size paper is 8 1/2" x 11" -- and in pounds -- a ream (500 sheets) of 17x22 bond paper that weighs 20 pounds is known as 20-pound paper. Of course, that 17x20 sheet is four times as big as letter-size paper, so a ream of 20-pound bond paper weighs 5 pounds. [Big Grin]
Only the thickness/volume of paper is measured in gsm, and that doesn't apply in America, where as Ruth says, it's in pounds.

A duodecimal system would have been easier for calculations - 12 is divisible by several more factors than 10.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone know what I an do with a ream of good quality but slightly rough surfaced quarto typing paper? Can I get my computer to recognise it?
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cyou can probably alter the paper type im the printer settings, if you can not find it preset you can do it on custom settings if you measure your paper.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When you say "quarto", there are several different sizes of quarto - it's an adjective rather than a defined size. But if you measure your paper, go for "Custom Size" in Word and input those measurements it ought to be able to handle it. (Famous last words, in theory it should work.)
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For Fuck's Sake, when did this become the "Geek to Me" thread? That's Heaven. This is Hell. It's gotten about as far away from anything resembling an actual Hellish topic, and I'm really not sure why we're letting it live. Maybe it's not, and I just think it is.

And good God, you all are really getting knickers in a wad because you have to multiply by ten rather than 5,280? Is this another case of "we've always done it this way, therefore it's better, our nostalgia justifies everything?"

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Is this another case of "we've always done it this way, therefore it's better, our nostalgia justifies everything?"

If you actually bother to read the thread, you'll notice the argument was started by a metricist. What the hell business of yours is it if I choose to do my cooking in ounces? Or buy sweets by the quarter pound?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
When you say "quarto", there are several different sizes of quarto - it's an adjective rather than a defined size. But if you measure your paper, go for "Custom Size" in Word and input those measurements it ought to be able to handle it. (Famous last words, in theory it should work.)

It's the size that was always labelled quarto in UK stationers, alongside the foolscap. It's left over from my Dad's business, when he switched to A4. But I'll try custom - however, I'm not sure if the printer will like the texture.

I might use it for printing out the less attractive clauses from UKIP's manifesto to leave about the place come April.

See, I've got us back on stream!

[ 19. October 2014, 12:54: Message edited by: Penny S ]

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A duodecimal system would have been easier for calculations - 12 is divisible by several more factors than 10.

You don't actually understand why "10" is "10", do you? I can tell.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

I do, and I think Ariel makes a valid point. A base 12 number system would have been a far better reform than trying to make all measurements fit the rather awkward base 10 system. We'd need symbols to represent what are currently 10 and 11. Some might argue of course, than any increase in utility would not be worth the hassle and aggravation associated with making the change, but I'm sure our ardent metric enthusiasts will continue to hold that no sacrifice is too great for marginal gains in utility.

[ 19. October 2014, 13:58: Message edited by: Arethosemyfeet ]

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm not sure how you can proclaim something to be 'dead, dead, dead' when you have to use it extensively every time you get in your car? (Unless you ignore the speedometer and any road signs, which is of course possible...)

The problem is, of course the Little Englanders, who can't see beyond the White Cliffs. Yes, I have a speedo in mph, which is of fuck-all use almost anywhere else on the planet. Or off it. Roadsigns could post speed limits in perches per lunar month for all you care, just as long as Jonny Foreigner doesn't use the same units.

Dead. Give it up.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
The problem is, of course the Little Englanders, who can't see beyond the White Cliffs. Yes, I have a speedo in mph, which is of fuck-all use almost anywhere else on the planet. Or off it. Roadsigns could post speed limits in perches per lunar month for all you care, just as long as Jonny Foreigner doesn't use the same units.

Dead. Give it up.

And if you should happen to be in a pub would you turn your nose up at a pint and demand a half litre?
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do, and I think Ariel makes a valid point. A base 12 number system would have been a far better reform than trying to make all measurements fit the rather awkward base 10 system. We'd need symbols to represent what are currently 10 and 11. Some might argue of course, than any increase in utility would not be worth the hassle and aggravation associated with making the change, but I'm sure our ardent metric enthusiasts will continue to hold that no sacrifice is too great for marginal gains in utility.
I agree with the point, and I get your sneaky veiled point.

That said I'm not sure 10=3*2*2 gets much advantage over 10=5*2. Hex is probably just as strong a rival. And of course it would be a regional adaption.

Whereas the combination of SI&decimal&internationalism really isn't a marginal gain.
It's a marginal gain in each individual case, but it really pays compound when cases combine*.

*at least if it wasn't for time being used so partially (for obvious reasons, unlike a foot a 'day' is actually pretty close to a day).

[ 19. October 2014, 16:07: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:

Dead. Give it up.

And if you should happen to be in a pub would you turn your nose up at a pint and demand a half litre?
I find it difficult to believe you're actually this ridiculous. Of course I drink pints. I drink half pints and drams and schooners and tots and all manner of other measures, and you know what? They're all defined in centilitres.

Would you refuse a half litre of beer? Would you refuse a bottle of wine because it's 75cl? I'm mentally competent enough to cope with different units, and still have a preference for metric. Imperial measures superseded earlier ones, and they are in turn superseded. Get over it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

And what's more, you still have to use units of 7 indefinitely to calculate weeks, and units of 60 to calculate time in second and minutes, and there are still 360 degrees in a full circle, which, if it's a clock face, tends to be divided into 12 roughly equal portions of 30 degrees. I haven't noticed anyone calling for metrication of time or 10 months of equal length recently.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
and there are still 360 degrees in a full circle, which, if it's a clock face, tends to be divided into 12 roughly equal portions of 30 degrees.

You stop using degree's after primary school now.

(actually I do have to convert back to get some feel for the angle which is pretty pathetic, but that's not the point)

[ 19. October 2014, 16:21: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel:
quote:
I haven't noticed anyone calling for metrication of time or 10 months of equal length recently.
Well, it was tried: but it didn't catch on.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Would you refuse a half litre of beer?

I'd refuse any amount of beer - can't stand the stuff. But yes, I'd most likely make a point of asking for a half pint if it was something I actually liked.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
And what's more, you still have to use units of 7 indefinitely to calculate weeks, and units of 60 to calculate time in second and minutes, and there are still 360 degrees in a full circle, which, if it's a clock face, tends to be divided into 12 roughly equal portions of 30 degrees. I haven't noticed anyone calling for metrication of time or 10 months of equal length recently.

And the definition of a second is what?

You seem to be at a complete loss here: as if someone's pointed out the rugged tweed you once proudly scaled the Matterhorn wearing is as anachronistic as using log rollers to move big stones, and all you have is to mutter about how it was good enough for your grandparents, it's good enough for you.

And I'm sorry that no one has has ever taught you about the necessity for gross adjustments in the calender, about leap years and leap seconds, the differences between sidereal time and solar time, and all the other little tweaks that have to be made in order for a civilisation to function. It must be terrible to suffer so.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

That said I'm not sure 10=3*2*2 gets much advantage over 10=5*2. Hex is probably just as strong a rival. And of course it would be a regional adaption.

On the contrary, hex is a bit rubbish, because you can only divide by powers of 2. 12 can be divided by 2,3,4 and 6 - it has the best factor to size ratio you're going to get, and that's vital in these sort of circumstances. Hex is great for writing binary numbers compactly, but not particularly for practical situations.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Doc Tor: Would you refuse a bottle of wine because it's 75cl?
Yes. Much too small.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:

And I'm sorry that no one has has ever taught you about the necessity for gross adjustments in the calender, about leap years and leap seconds, the differences between sidereal time and solar time, and all the other little tweaks that have to be made in order for a civilisation to function. It must be terrible to suffer so.

None of which have anything to do with the units in which you choose to measure time. There is no reason for the solar year to be an integer multiple of the solar day (and it isn't), so if you want times of day that give you some hope of knowing whether it's light or dark outside, you automatically get leap years.
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

On the contrary, hex is a bit rubbish, because you can only divide by powers of 2. 12 can be divided by 2,3,4 and 6 - it has the best factor to size ratio you're going to get, and that's vital in these sort of circumstances. Hex is great for writing binary numbers compactly, but not particularly for practical situations.
I should have changed the subject to weight before hand, then it would have turned out to have been very important all along (half joking, half well aware where the other 3 fingers are pointing)
Multiplication is nice in binary so I was hoping some of that would come through (but not sure).

[edited as I can't pull off repeated smileys in a day]

[ 19. October 2014, 19:25: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

That 17x22 is a basis weight which varies by the type of paper, index or bristol paper have a different basis sizes.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Anyone know what I an do with a ream of good quality but slightly rough surfaced quarto typing paper? Can I get my computer to recognise it?

Unlike some posters, most home printers and software designed for printing usually are designed to us standard sizes that can be adjusted to deal with different size papers or slightly out of tolerance paper sizes.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You start introducing other number systems and things will get more confused (besides the issue of having to grow more fingers.)

Computer programmers have enough problem as it is confusing Halloween with Christmas:

code:
 31 OCT = 25 DEC 

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:
You start introducing other number systems and things will get more confused (besides the issue of having to grow more fingers.)

If we use binary then we can keep the same number of fingers and be able to count up to 1023, or rather 1111111111.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

If we use binary then we can keep the same number of fingers and be able to count up to 1023, or rather 1111111111.
I can't wait to see how you switch your fingers to the 'off' position.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Is this another case of "we've always done it this way, therefore it's better, our nostalgia justifies everything?"

If you actually bother to read the thread, you'll notice the argument was started by a metricist. What the hell business of yours is it if I choose to do my cooking in ounces? Or buy sweets by the quarter pound?
1. And I've been clicking every link as well, thankyouverymuch.
2. Buuut Moooommm, heee started iiitttt!
3. What business is it of mine to want some standardization in the world and, say, not have to deal with stupid Imperial nuts and bolts when I own metric wrenches? What business of mine is it to want the world of commerce and industry to run a bit more smoothly? Given that I have to live in this world, a fair bit, actually.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Personally, I tap the fingers to my desk for 1, and lift them off for 0.

Do you ever wonder how many more years until the Imperial-insisting dinosaurs die off sufficiently so that we stop needing to listen to all the whining?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

^ I only get the whining on the internet. My particular English-speaking country managed to align with the rest of the planet before I was even born. The only contexts in which I'm likely to encounter Imperial are people's height and the weight of newborn babies.

And yes, I know this has turned us into a culinary wasteland where we can't follow any traditional recipes for American and English cuisine. We all have to make sacrifices.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
^ I only get the whining on the internet. My particular English-speaking country managed to align with the rest of the planet before I was even born.

Including, presumably, alignment on the bits where imperial's been internationally agreed?

Eg, at sea, depths are in metres, except for the large parts of the world that haven't been surveyed since the early 20th century, where you have to work in fathoms.

Meanwhile, speed is in knots (nautical miles per hour for the uninitiated), and distance is in fractional cables, cables (200yds), miles, then degrees, minutes, and seconds of latitude and longitude (which is why not only do you still need to know degrees if you're going to go to sea, but also spherical trigonometry, otherwise astro navigation is going to be a challenge).

So there's a whole technological world out there still merrily using imperial...

On a less international note, the British railway network is measured still in miles, as you might expect, but also still in chains when you go less than a mile...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not going to take a photo, I'm afraid, but if you hold up both hands then extended fingers are "on" and curled fingers are "off". Very simple. I would usually start counting with the thumb of my right hand.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yes, I have a speedo in mph, which is of fuck-all use almost anywhere else on the planet.

Do you regularly need to drive anywhere else on the planet? For my part there are only a dozen or so times per year that I have to drive further than a hundred miles from my house, never mind to a whole other country.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
quote:

Personally, I tap the fingers to my desk for 1, and lift them off for 0.

Do you ever wonder how many more years until the Imperial-insisting dinosaurs die off sufficiently so that we stop needing to listen to all the whining?

Also, there's Imperial and there's imperial. IIRC many American imperial measure are not the same as British Imperial measures. US gallons are considerably smaller and I believe the standard definitions for things like inches and ounces are different too.

It's not like the French and Italian litres are different.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Yes, I have a speedo in mph, which is of fuck-all use almost anywhere else on the planet.

Do you regularly need to drive anywhere else on the planet? For my part there are only a dozen or so times per year that I have to drive further than a hundred miles from my house, never mind to a whole other country.
And if the signs here were in kph, and the speedo in kph, then...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
quote:
quote:

...a lot of people would be asking 'is this really the best use of taxpayers' money?'
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

...a lot of people would be asking 'is this really the best use of taxpayers' money?'
Such questions are most frequently asked by those who try to pay as little tax as possible.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe they would. On the other hand, think of the boost to GDP.

Our use of mph is quaint, and possibly endearing. But not necessary or functional. If we woke up tomorrow morning and all driving related signs had switched miles for kilometres, along with our speedos, then outside of a week no one would care.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Such questions are most frequently asked by those who try to pay as little tax as possible.
Trying not to waste taxpayers' money is not a bad thing. It is a very sensible thing to do.
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Our use of mph is quaint, and possibly endearing. But not necessary or functional. If we woke up tomorrow morning and all driving related signs had switched miles for kilometres, along with our speedos, then outside of a week no one would care.

It's functional to the extent that it's a system that people use and understand. If a roadsign says '14 kilometres' but a lot of people don't really have a feel for what 14 kilometres is, then it's not really functional, surely?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016