homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Justinian dishes it out can't take it (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Justinian dishes it out can't take it
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian;

He's erudite and he's subtle. It's only when he's arguing with atheists I see mendacity from him

Probably because on most other matters (e.g. The shortcomings of right-wing politics) you either agree with him or haven't strongly identified yourself with a stance.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
Dafyd claimed I believed something I don't.

There is a figure of speech called irony. It is not the same as lying.
Croesos does it all the time. Of course, Croesos is as annoying as a wasp in a portaloo and half the time Croesos does actually cross over into straw mannery. So you may have something of a point. But right now I'm not disposed to give myself anything other than the benefit of the doubt.

quote:
When I pointed out I don't he decided to claim that because SusanDoris had said something I must believe it and have said it.
This is a complete and perverse misreading. Saying the same thing as SusanDoris (or LeRoc or IngoB) is not the same as talking about the same thing as talking about the same thing as SusanDoris and LeRoc and IngoB.

quote:
It's only when he's arguing with atheists I see mendacity from him
You're really not able to listen to yourself, are you?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since this is Hell, I can observe that Justinian comes off like he is backed into a corner and chucking tomatoes at whoever comes too close.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... but has really bad aim?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
Talking of belief - I find it hard to believe that the mathematics of supra-infinite sets is of any use whatsoever.

That's what they said about imaginary numbers, until physicists found a use for them in describing electromagnetic fields. I would be very careful about writing off some part of mathematics as useless. It's the sort of ignorant judgment that has a way of coming back to bite you in the arse.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Holy fuck, you are never going convince me Dafyd is mendacious. I really don't give a damn if he is right or wrong, but boy, is that off the mark.

Thank you. This saves me the trouble of trying to think up a way to say this.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I knew I was right to bail from that thread.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest though, the moment the guy went "Show me an empirical way to demonstrate God" I knew the thread was a wash.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
To be honest though, the moment the guy went "Show me an empirical way to demonstrate God" I knew the thread was a wash.

You could as easily ask for 'an empirical way to demonstrate love', but fewer would oppose the existence of love.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

You could as easily ask for 'an empirical way to demonstrate love', but fewer would oppose the existence of love.
Gotta be honest, it's not even that. It's just that that's one of those statements that signifies the beginning of an Endless Circular Argument With No Conclusion, Resolution or Understanding Ever and OH FUCK ABANDON ALL HOPE ABORT ABORT

[ 20. October 2014, 11:05: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Was that Justinian? I thought it was lilbuddha. I thought Justinian had more nous when it comes to arguing the existence of God. He just disregards the premise on false grounds which he can't provide the evidence for.

But you're quite right nevertheless.

As for Dafyd, I had to google mendacity. I hate having to google words. Offends my sense of verbal superiority.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

Was that Justinian? I thought it was lilbuddha. I thought Justinian had more nous when it comes to arguing the existence of God.
It was lilbuddha, yeah. Doesn't matter. Thread was a wash.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for future reference, I think he is a she. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Just for future reference, I think he is a she. [Big Grin]

Noted.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ring theory. Sounds impenetrable.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

On the contrary. There's a hole in the middle you could drive a truck through.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

On the contrary. There's a hole in the middle you could drive a truck through.
Well played.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hole in one!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

The joke that keeps on giving.

--------------------
Narcissism.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I miss rings, even if I only dealt with them for 4 weeks of my life in total. It was fun knowing that 3 x 4 = 5 and that 3 and 4 are both square roots of 2.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016