homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Can we quarantine idiocy? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Can we quarantine idiocy?
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I know you meant C. Everett Koop. And I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that all this talk of appointing an "ebola czar" would be unnecessary if we had a surgeon general in place today, instead of a candidate whose confirmation has been stalled because he dared speak the truth about guns.

He is reported to save said that gun violence is a public health issue. This is true in the trivial sense - shooting people does indeed negatively affect their health - but it it true in the same sense that anti-lock brakes and road salting trucks are a public heath issue.

It's got nothing at all to do with the surgeon general.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
One rather has a feeling that we're spoiling the guy's cruise just to show we are Doing Something. In fact, I'd bet money that if God came down and infallibly told the CDC that said person did not have ebola and never would, they would still take the guy off the ship.

I guess the message is that if you work in a lab handling samples from patients you don't get a vacation. You've handled material from a patient which turned up positive for ebola, HIV, or some similarly nasty disease? Go into quarantine for 21 days before taking a vacation? Oh, wait ... you can't do that, you're needed in the lab. But, you can't be sure you'll not be handling samples with infectious agents so you're 21 days quarantine before your vacation restarts every day you enter the lab. To be safe, probably better not go home to your family in that period. And, definitely no sex with your spouse (or, anyone else).

Follow that approach, and then find that hospital pathology labs have severe difficulties recruiting qualified staff.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
He is reported to save said that gun violence is a public health issue. This is true in the trivial sense . . . [but] it's got nothing at all to do with the surgeon general.

He's far from alone in thinking so, as googling "gun violence public health approach" will reveal, but let's not digress.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
OK, whatever bug I have manifested itself first as a low-grade fever and three hours later as diarrhea.

The wording is more precise, but the point is the same.

Assuming both symptoms were caused by the bug, yes.

My point was that Porridge engaged in a kind of hand-wringing "I don't know how this works and so therefore no-one knows how it works" leap.

It's not as if no-one knows anything about this disease. It's been studied for a while now. It's just that the general public in the West doesn't know much about it and isn't used to it.

Heck, the fact that we know that it's not infectious before symptoms appear is an immediate point of distinction from many major diseases. It means we have to only deal with foolishness rather than unwitting spread.

The other day on Facebook I saw a neat little observation about how scientists say "don't panic about Ebola" and we all panic, but they say "climate change is the most serious threat we've ever faced" and people ask for more coal.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
OK, whatever bug I have manifested itself first as a low-grade fever and three hours later as diarrhea.

The wording is more precise, but the point is the same.

Assuming both symptoms were caused by the bug, yes.
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

quote:
My point was that Porridge engaged in a kind of hand-wringing "I don't know how this works and so therefore no-one knows how it works" leap.
How long from the onset of fever in an ebola case before diarrhea and/or vomiting starts? Wikipedia doesn't say.

She didn't in fact say no one knows how it works. She only said she did not know. You're the one who made the leap.

quote:
The other day on Facebook I saw a neat little observation about how scientists say "don't panic about Ebola" and we all panic, but they say "climate change is the most serious threat we've ever faced" and people ask for more coal.
This is a neat point. But it's pretty unfair to imply that Porridge is panicking.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I said I don't know this. I also said I thought that timing might vary in different patients, even with the same disease. Nowhere did I say that nobody knows this. There's probably some statistical average somewhere for the course of the disease, like "X-Y hours of fever; if untreated, will be followed by Y-Z hours of profuse sweating; hydration and administration of electrolytes is indicated; if left untreated . . . etc."

That's generally how the course of a disease gets described -- by averages. And that's because different individuals respond in different ways, and at different rates, to any disease process going. So yes, we can describe an average course for a given disease. We can say something like, "Most patients experience an elevated temperature for X amount of time before additional symptoms appear, and symptoms typically appear in the following order . . . etc."

What we can't say, with any certainty, when our very own Aunt Sophronia comes down with Disease X, is exactly which symptom will manifest first, or exactly when, or exactly how long she'll have that symptom, or in what exact order additional symptoms might develop, or exactly how long she'll be ill, etc.

I'm simply pointing out that what we tend to know about disease processes is a compendium of averages -- very useful in knowing how, generally, that disease works, and what steps we ought to be prepared to take in treating it. Those averages are not necessarily predictive of exactly how a given disease process will work in any one particular individual. That's all I'm saying. Sheesh.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
Until or unless it's possible to accurately predict the precise course of the disease, she certainly shouldn't have been cleared to fly.

who knows how quickly any one patient might progress from mildly-elevated temperature to profuse sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea? I certainly don't know this,

It was the second bit in particular that caught my eye. "Who knows?". Well, the fact is people do know what's possible and what isn't possible.

There ya go, Ruth. There's the leap I was talking about.

And you can roll eyes at me all you like, but the fact is I've gone to the doctor plenty of times talking about more than one symptom only to have the doctor say that one of the things I'm describing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

[ 18. October 2014, 02:07: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

This was entertaining.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

By the way, I think it's worth pointing out, while we fret about nurses on planes and lab workers on cruise ships, that there is no report that anyone who encountered Thomas Duncan when he was (wrongly) sent home from hospital has fallen ill.

Yes, there are people still in quarantine. But as yet all of the people who were in contact with him before the nurses, in the several days that he was out in the community, are still well. Including his girlfriend.

I think that says something about the relative difficulty of contracting ebola. Yes, there is still some possibility that someone will fall ill in the next couple of days, having had a longer incubation period than the 2 nurses, but at present things are looking pretty good.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Until or unless it's possible to accurately predict the precise course of the disease, she certainly shouldn't have been cleared to fly.

who knows how quickly any one patient might progress from mildly-elevated temperature to profuse sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea? I certainly don't know this,

It was the second bit in particular that caught my eye. "Who knows?". Well, the fact is people do know what's possible and what isn't possible.
Yes, but you clearly don't know either. Porridge made it clear that she is not making a definitive statement. She said, "A 3-hour airline flight might be enough." Given that travel restrictions are now in place for everyone who cared for Duncan in Dallas, her position is at least as strong as yours.

You don't know. Neither does Porridge. Thing is, she didn't claim to know. God knows there's enough actual stupid hysterical panic out there that you don't need to go on and on picking at something Porridge said.

quote:
And you can roll eyes at me all you like, but the fact is I've gone to the doctor plenty of times talking about more than one symptom only to have the doctor say that one of the things I'm describing has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
So what? I'd bet the rent my fever and regular dashes to the bathroom stem from the same bug. I've never gone to the doctor with a fever and another symptom of infection and had the doctor tell me they were unrelated.
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There ya go, Ruth. There's the leap I was talking about.

You might try reading the rest of the sentence: who knows HOW QUICKLY ANY ONE PATIENT MIGHT PROGRESS . . .

And no, nobody does in fact know this, nor can anyone predict this except in terms of averages. "People" only know how quickly, ON AVERAGE (having collected a boatload of data from a boatload of patients who responded in a variety of different ways and times) a disease process works. They do not, and cannot, know this with any precision about one individual.

And you're absolutely right about all the people Duncan was in close contact with between his being sent home from the hospital the first time and being admitted on his second try: they all seem. so far (I have seen zero reports on these folks), to have escaped infection despite probable exposure to the virus, as Duncan reportedly had vomiting and diarrhea at that point. Very good news for all those folks, and yet another indication that we only know what GENERALLY happens with this disease, and can't accurately predict what WILL happen with specific individuals.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
You might try reading the rest of the sentence: who knows HOW QUICKLY ANY ONE PATIENT MIGHT PROGRESS . . .

And you might learn that they have statistics for outliers as well as averages. For example, average incubation is 8 to 10 days, with a range of 3 to 21 days. Not a range of zero to infinity. Which means that not only do they know the ordinary course of the disease they no the unusual course of the disease as well.

This is why I said they know what's possible and what's not possible. As well as what's likely and what's not likely. If you read what I said, that's what I was arguing. I'm trying to counter your depiction of "no-one has any idea of how any one patient might progress" with statements that actually, we can narrow down how they'll progress quite a bit. Even if they're NOT an average patient, it's not the case that they'll defy known rules of transmission.

[ 18. October 2014, 03:24: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Why are you so exercised about this, orfeo?
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Not a range of zero to infinity.

. . .

Even if they're NOT an average patient, it's not the case that they'll defy known rules of transmission.

It's lucky, then that I haven't said the range extends from zero to infinity, and even more fortunate that nowhere have I suggested that the disease is transmitted by impossible means.

All I have said is that what happens with individuals may differ from known averages, and that because we cannot accurately pinpoint next developments with any one specific patient who has begun exhibiting symptoms, it's probably a bad idea to enclose that symptomatic person in small space for a long period of time with a large group of other people.

You seem to want me to be saying something else, something to which you strenuously object. I'm not quite clear what that is, and I'm sorry I can't seem to oblige you.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

It's either this or doing the ironing.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
He is reported to save said that gun violence is a public health issue. This is true in the trivial sense . . . [but] it's got nothing at all to do with the surgeon general.

He's far from alone in thinking so, as googling "gun violence public health approach" will reveal, but let's not digress.
The problem with labeling gun violence as a public health problem is that the usual public health approaches to the problem are totally irrelevant. As I said in this post public health began with contagious disease prevention. There was a solid body of knowledge on how to do the job. AFAIK there is no body of knowledge on how to reduce gun violence. As I said in the cited post, the effect has been to divert resources and attention from epidemics.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo
Yes, there are people still in quarantine. But as yet all of the people who were in contact with him before the nurses, in the several days that he was out in the community, are still well. Including his girlfriend.

I think that says something about the relative difficulty of contracting ebola. Yes, there is still some possibility that someone will fall ill in the next couple of days, having had a longer incubation period than the 2 nurses, but at present things are looking pretty good.

I have heard the statistic that on average one Ebola patient infects two other people. This is in contrast with measles, where one patient infects seventeen others. The frightening thing about Ebola is the mortality rate.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read several opinion pieces this morning about all the foolish Ebola panic. I think there's starting to be a panic about the "panic." There is no panic. People aren't storming the airports to leave Texas and Ohio, there is no hysteria in the market place.

There is a tendency to over talk the subject on television news stations but they do that over anything they can find until the next bit of news comes along. How many non-stop months did they talk about that missing plane? Was there an anti-flying panic? This happens to be a slow news period. Not a panic.

As for wanting the health care workers who dealt with Duncan to stay home. Why not? The powers that be clearly don't know everything about this disease. Don't blame us for losing faith in their expertise when, just a few weeks ago, they were telling us that it was all under control and Duncan's care givers were entirely safe from contagion. They lost credibility through their own actions and now we would all rather err on the side of extreme caution. That's not panic that's common sense. Delaying vacations for a few months is not extreme cruelty to anyone.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This isn't the first time Orfeo has sacrificed himself (and his ironing) on the altar of controversy to keep his corner of Hell happy. God Bless him!
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I've read several opinion pieces this morning about all the foolish Ebola panic. I think there's starting to be a panic about the "panic." There is no panic.

I've seen reports to the effect that friends of Duncan, folks who were quarantined, are being shunned and subjected to assorted bad treatment. Neighbors are preventing repair people and the like from entering the family's apartment by shouting "They have ebola there!" at them.

That may not be panic, but it also seems an extreme overreaction; apparently neither Duncan nor his bodily fluids were ever present there once he became ill.

And while it's easy to blame all this fear on ebola itself (which certainly is frightening), I agree with your point that the initial screwed-up responses may really be what lit a scare under some of us. It certainly scares me.

I am sometimes responsible for administering meds to clients at my place of work; I do so under cover of our staff nurse's license (legal under state law). Even after all these years, I am terrified to deviate one iota from the training she gave me, lest I injure or kill someone by giving them the wrong meds. On returning to work recently after a lengthy absence, I requested that she put me through the training again before re-shouldering this responsibility. I put my staff through this training every 6 months. (They think this is stupid; I think it's prudent.)

I'd like to know that those handling ebola cases are at least as careful as I and my co-workers try to be.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
quote:

This isn't the first time Orfeo has sacrificed himself (and his ironing) on the altar of controversy to keep his corner of Hell happy. God Bless him!
Forget blessings. I got the Quotes File I was after!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You shameless quotesfile tart.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
You shameless quotesfile tart.

I'd make "Shameless Quotesfile Tart" my description if I didn't already really like "Ship's Musical Counterpoint".

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

Put it in your sig?
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile on this side of the pond we have this.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:

He says he wants his action to make people think...

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just came across this article about Ebola. Here is the paragraph that especially struck me.
quote:
After outbreaks in Uganda in the late 1990’s, scientists tested the blood of several people who were in close contact with Ebola patients, and found a number of them had markers in their blood indicating they carried the disease, but they were totally asymptomatic—they managed to completely avoid the horrifying symptoms of the disease.
Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What that article does not make clear is whether these are carriers (i.e. able to infect others though apparently well themselves) or whether these are naturally immune people or survivors who had such slight symptoms they were never identified--in which case they would be perfectly safe to be around, and also of great interest to those searching for treatments. Unfortunately the article conflates the three categories.

A true, lifelong carrier state would be a hellish thing indeed. I hope and think the writer was referring to those with antibodies only and not shedding live virus.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
What that article does not make clear is whether these are carriers (i.e. able to infect others though apparently well themselves) or whether these are naturally immune people or survivors who had such slight symptoms they were never identified--in which case they would be perfectly safe to be around, and also of great interest to those searching for treatments. Unfortunately the article conflates the three categories.

The article only talks about recovered survivors and naturally immune individuals. So, though the group of people mentioned may conflate those two groups (ie: include people who had undiagnosed symptoms and those who were naturally immune) I can't see how it would include asymptomatic carriers - their blood would contain live virus and not just markers.

I don't think anyone knows how long Ebola has been present in sub-Saharan Africa - certainly it would have been there long before the first documented occurrences in the 1970s. But, even with the low frequency of infection genetic traits leading to immunity or increased resistance wouldn't take very many generations to be fairly common in the population (if those genetic traits don't carry other survival disadvantages). It probably means that European and American medical personnel offering humanitarian aid in the affected regions, or treating patients in the US/Europe, have a greater chance of contracting fully symptomatic Ebola.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:

He says he wants his action to make people think...
... that he's an idiot.

I'm sure there are other ways we can complete that sentence.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

As we've been told repeatedly the ebola virus isn't airborne and can't become airborne without violating natural law (not that I fully understand this, but it's what we're being told), it's hard to see what wearing a facemask is meant to accomplish.

Maybe his daughter talks too much and this is a way of shutting her up?

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

His poor daughter - all the kids at school are going to be laughing at her and her nutty father. That's not 'normal' behaviour - I imagine he's not easy to live with. Poor girl.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

She must be lifting the spirits of all the kids in her class who don't have fathers in the home.

I can see where face masks would be needed by people around Ebola, just to keep their rubber gloved fingers out of their mouths. I'm always surprised at the frequency of face, nose, eye and mouth touching that goes on by most people.

Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if he makes her stay indoors to reduce the chance of being struck by lightning.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon this counts as cruel and inhumane treatment, if not illegal imprisonment as well. [Mad]

Deterring medics from working in West Africa is not the way to make us safe from Ebola. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that "obviously ill" is based on the fact that she disagrees with her treatment. Sort of Catch 22 logic.
RuthW

# 13

"Obviousy ill" was based on the fact that her temperature was a little bit above the average normal temperature when officials took it at the airport -- so they took her to a hospital, where the doctor who saw her there said her problem wasn't a fever but just being flushed from the stress of the process she was being put through.

But yeah, Christie was talking out of his ass.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After all the outrage after the previous case where someone was allowed to fly with a 99.x temperature, is it surprising that the pendulum has swung the other way and now any temperature at all is being considered dangerous?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No surprises there, since that's usually where he's talking out of.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
After all the outrage after the previous case where someone was allowed to fly with a 99.x temperature, is it surprising that the pendulum has swung the other way and now any temperature at all is being considered dangerous?

But she is being kept in hospital for 3 weeks, DESPITE the doctors agreeing that her temperature is normal and she has no other symptoms.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fear-bola has no boundaries, and the public is demanding action to treat their Fear-bola. Unfortunately, Fear-bola is a pernicious disease and not easily treated.

She showed a temperature once! Why should we believe what doctors say that that was just because of stress! Look at how bad the medical establishment screwed up in Texas! We threw all our civil liberties away over fear of terrorism, of course we're going to also throw all our civil liberties away over fear of Ebola! What if she currently has Ebola but is symptom free, and is out and about on the day she starts to have symptoms, and infects lots of people between two temperature-takings?

Thus says Fear-bola.

I wonder how long it will be before people flying from Africa aren't let back into the country at all until they've finished their 21-day quarantine elsewhere.

The CDC had a guideline, people rose up in outrage over the application of the guideline, what government official is now going to want to be seen as taking any risks at all, no matter how minute, when dealing with Ebola?

I'm not saying it's right, but it doesn't surprise me one whit.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
quote:

No surprises there, since that's usually where he's talking out of.
It's certainly big enough.

This needs to be made into a test case. I understand the nurse has retained a lawyer. If she is being held against her will, her captors need to charged with unlawful arrest and brought to court.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:

But she is being kept in hospital for 3 weeks, DESPITE the doctors agreeing that her temperature is normal and she has no other symptoms.
Well, considering that the doctor who let out an ebola case would have their ass sued by everyone in middle america, be struck off by the AMA and probably also end up in guantanamo, I can understand it. Doesnt't make it rught, but it's understandable.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

The 2 Texas nurses are now well and appear not to have infected anybody else.

THIS, of course, is not world headline news.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, their status is ongoing national news in the US.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

It was headline news here -- both in the LA Times and on National Public Radio.
orfeo

# 13878

Ah, apparently when I say "world headline", this is equivalent to the "World Series".

It has been reported here - otherwise I wouldn't know about it - but the story is tiny compared to the coverage given to the nurses' infection or the doctor who arrived in New York.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

I didn't say it was a "world" headline. I said it was a headline here. I even said exactly where here I read and heard it.

Go do your ironing.

RuthW

# 13

I suppose I should admit that I'm watching the Kansas City Royals beat the crap out of the San Francisco Giants in game six right now.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
I suppose I should admit that I'm watching the Kansas City Royals beat the crap out of the San Francisco Giants in game six right now.

Noted. So I will NOT be seeing a celebratory Facebook post from one of my Californian friends just yet.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well...

(back to topic)

I just got an email from my sub agency in which we were asked whether or not we had been exposed in the usual ways, or had worked in a center that had been closed for Ebola. (no, and no.) I thought it was pretty smart of them. I have actually been thinking that preschools should be an area of concern-- mostly because kids are notoriously craptastic at containing their bodily fluids, and if something ever got int there, it would be hellacious. Universal Precautions only can do so much-- if a kid sneezes full in your face or barfs in your lap, rubber gloves aren't gonna do much.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016