homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Following Orders (gamergate the Hell version) (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Following Orders (gamergate the Hell version)
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've stated multiple times now that I'm all for "white hats" moving in for the kill (the equivalent of somebody stronger helping with self defence), for calling the (techno) police and for that matter for doing public counter-demonstration. I'm not sure why you continue to ignore this, just because I'm suggesting that a change of overall tactics would now help most.

My point is quite simply that dog piling a bunch of trolls - or for that matter a bunch of zealous misogynists - will not ultimately resolve the situation. Dog piling works when people are worried by the rage of others, rather than either enjoying it (trolls) or seeing it as the very thing they are attacking (zealous misogynists). And if the offenders being counter-attacked are actually capable of inflicting serious damage, as they will be if some of the Anonymous crowd is joining in, then this is going to get unnecessarily ugly. And yes, if these people had any real chance of "winning", then perhaps one would have to keep piling on just to stop them from taking over. But in fact it is the other way around. They are piling on the pressure because they are afraid that we will win, and rightly so.

(It is a fair point to say that this "winning" is taking a long time, and yes, too long. But the question of how to improve gaming is not best exercised by fighting #Gamergate. Or more precisely, if you are using this as a means of "sensitising" people, then you have to be careful how long you maintain a call for arms before war exhaustion eats your gains.)

Of course, there's no real necessity in advocating a reduction of publicity. That's going to happen automatically. The mass media will need a new sensation when they think that they have squeezed this one dry. As soon as that spotlight goes elsewhere most people will follow it, and all this will get resolved by law enforcement where that is applicable, or otherwise just fade. But becoming conscious of what is going to stop this might just hurry the process along.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not ignoring it. I'm just not getting it. Plus I wasn't quite sure of your use of "white hat" (I know it as someone who helps improve computer security, so somehow took it as being a technical expert who can help law enforcement identify individuals hiding behind anonymous user names. But, your latest post seems to use it to refer to people within the gamer communities, presumably with some form of authority gained from gaining respect within that community)

Yes, of course where something is illegal the police should be involved. And, yes the few people who by whatever virtue they have by their standing in the community have the authority to chastise the lunatic fringe should be doing so. It's just that when suggested that people with some status within the community should be involved you seem to keep bringing up that in doing so they make themselves a target and so should let others do it. You have stated that a few years ago you had a position of respect in the gamer community, by virtue of not only being an active gamer but good enough to compete in national league. Wood had sufficient standing within a slightly different gamer community to be invited to speak at conventions. You may not count yourself as a "white hat" (if I've actually understood your use of the word), but you're also not without a potential voice in the community.

And, what's wrong with a dog pile? It has one massive advantage that herding animals know by instinct. If a very large number of people join in an attack it's almost impossible to identify an individual target to dox, or otherwise retaliate against. Safety in numbers.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016