homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH Episode XIV - Hell Consigns Back (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH Episode XIV - Hell Consigns Back
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH trying to organise house viewings at a time when I can actually get there. No, I can't go see your house in the DAYTIME because that's when I'm AT WORK. The reason I ask for a viewing after X o'clock is because that the earliest I can get there!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the constant attempt to lump all black deaths at the hands of white law enforcement (or even pseudo-law enforcement) into a single category. In either direction. These are individuals, not fucking chess pieces.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On a related note: dear USA. We are now the subject of a UN investigation on human rights violations. What exactly will it take for us to start checking ourselves?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fuck you, Rolling Stone magazine. Fuck you with a rusty farm implement.

I knew as soon as that UVA story ran exactly what was going to happen and yet you still forced me to live through it.

Let's recall this bit from The Morning After (which you made me drag off my bookshelf):

quote:
To be part of this blanket of warmth, this woman-centered nonhierarchical empowered notion, students are willing to lie. My first year at Princeton, one student was caught fabricating a rape story. Mindy had spoken at Take Back the Night for each of her four years at Princeton, and she had printed her story in the Daily Princetonian. What's interesting is that her account didn't really stand out; she sounded like everyone else at the speak-out. Her story could have been the blueprint. Whatever else anyone can say about her, Mindy could really talk the talk.

<snip> Unlike most participants in the speak-outs, Mindy put her story in print. Once it spilled over from the feverish midnight outpouring of the march into black-and-white newsprint, the facts could be checked. The problem was that she claimed she had reported a rape, and she hadn't. She claimed an administrator had told her "to let bygones be bygones," and he hadn't. She told people that a certain male undergraduate was the rapist, and he complained to the administration.

<snip>Many of the Princeton students emanate a sense of entitlement. These students say, again and again, "It's not fair that I should be afraid." This is an idea that springs from privilege. Who besides these well-dressed, well-fed, well-groomed students would expect the right to safety and march for it?

Book published in 1993.

How long, Lord, how long do I have to get called a misogynist and rape apologist for asking questions?

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In no particular order:
The unpleasant virus that latched on to Darllenwr's computer which meant he had to have the thing wiped. My turn with the rusty farm implement to use on the person who thought the virus would be a good idea.
Humanist funerals - went to one yesterday - the first I have been to.
The stupid person who jumped out in front of our car when we went out this afternoon and thought it was funny that Darllenwr had to brake suddenly, and would have been most put out if we had hit him.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Fuck you, Rolling Stone magazine. Fuck you with a rusty farm implement.

I knew as soon as that UVA story ran exactly what was going to happen and yet you still forced me to live through it.

I take it this is what you're referring to:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-20141119 - but you could, you know, have linked to it.

quote:
Let's recall this bit from The Morning After (which you made me drag off my bookshelf):

[snip]

quote:
<snip>Many of the Princeton students emanate a sense of entitlement. These students say, again and again, "It's not fair that I should be afraid." This is an idea that springs from privilege. Who besides these well-dressed, well-fed, well-groomed students would expect the right to safety and march for it?

Well, me for a start. A mere colonial, and the first person ever in my family line to attend any university at all - and that not one associated with any sort of entrenched sense of entitlement. I expect there are others. I expect you have encountered them. I expect you find away to swat them all away. Especially if they are economically and socially privileged. After all, they have everything else, don't they, these women - and yet they're still asking for something more. What'll it be next? The vote, or something?

quote:
How long, Lord, how long do I have to get called a misogynist and rape apologist for asking questions?

This is the only question you've asked. Mostly, you've made assertions, including that Rolling Stone forced you to live through an article, and crowned this indignity by making you read through some book you already owned.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH fucking Bay Area drivers and their dumbass behavior during our first big storms of the season.

Because, when the driver in front of you is approaching an overturned vehicle, a two lane closure only marked by road flares, and six cop cars, you climb on their ass. If there is standing water and they slow down, climb on their ass. If they pass a traffic camera with a speed radar sign attached and adjust their speed accordingly, climb on their ass. Especially if it is a steep incline and streams are running down the middle of the road.

Assclowns. Biggest problem us, they are going to go out and thin the parts of the herd that aren't them, which is not the way it's supposed to work

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
Well, me for a start. A mere colonial, and the first person ever in my family line to attend any university at all - and that not one associated with any sort of entrenched sense of entitlement.

Well, then your situation is a bit different from the situation described, isn't it? Princeton is an incredibly safe campus largely populated by a student body with an entrenched sense of entitlement. Like the cops described here, some of the students are simply afraid of black men, regardless of how they are acting.

quote:
I expect there are others. I expect you have encountered them. I expect you find away to swat them all away. Especially if they are economically and socially privileged. After all, they have everything else, don't they, these women - and yet they're still asking for something more.
Actually, for years I took the blame for their spoiled irresponsible behavior. I defended them, and tried to make sure they got out of the stupid situations they had gotten themselves into safely.

But then one day I got sick of taking literal punches because they think they should have the right to act however they want with complete disregard to how it affects anyone else.

So, yes, now I swat them away.

quote:
quote:

This is the only question you've asked. Mostly, you've made assertions, including that Rolling Stone forced you to live through an article, and crowned this indignity by making you read through some book you already owned.
This is the TICTH thread. It's the place for one-off rants, not discussion. I didn't ask questions because I wasn't necessarily looking for discussion, I was looking to rant.

Maybe living in New Zealand you could access some of your normal news sites without encountering descriptions of a brutal rape and the usual slinging of insults and accusations that surround the campus rape discussion over the past two weeks, but I couldn't.

Hence the rant.

But thank you for taking it upon yourself to police my feelings.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, it's not a debating thread. For what feels like the umpteenth time already, if your whinge, whine, moan, bellyache or complaint extends to multiple posts, it can get its own thread.

Or it can die, screaming, with all the others here, as the hosts nuke this thread from orbit.

Doc Tor
Hell host

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The use of gosh fucking darn it QUOTATION MARKS around things you want to dismiss or belittle. I know you're so Catholic that if the Pope were to bless you he'd have to stick the holy water somewhere not so holy but jeez REALLY???

Do you have any fucking idea how dismissive you sound when you parrot off "homosexualality" and "women in mens bodies" whilst gaily (hahaha pun haha) assuming you know more than they do about their lives and experience because you read it in a book?

If I'd have known fucking punctuation could erase people so easily I'd have learned how to use the bloody semicolon years ago. Fuck you.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

People who throw around bigoted language as if it's a sign of how edgy they are.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
If I'd have known fucking punctuation could erase people so easily I'd have learned how to use the bloody semicolon years ago.

Yup, quotesfile.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those dumb shits who decided to join an originally peaceful protest march so that they would have a chance to vandalize local businesses (including my usual grocery store, which has had its windows smashed). Tell me, dumb shits, has Trader Joe's endorsed excessive force by police in another part of the country? And if you really cared about social justice, dumb shits, you wouldn't be taking out your dumb shit rage on innocent bystanders and destroying the credibility of your cause at the same time.

And incidentally been the cause of that helicopter hovering directly over my building, sometimes close enough to make the wall heater rattle, for the past three hours or so.

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The prayers of the people is the part of the service where you take your turn leading intercessions on behalf of the whole church community. It's not the place where you deliver a mini sermon on the limits of compassion, the need for repentance, the evils of abortion or the God-given plan for marriage.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
St. Gwladys: Humanist funerals - went to one yesterday - the first I have been to.
[Confused]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bloody stupid tedious achey arm shoulder nerve pain thingy. Rubbish useless drugs call yourself an analgesic. Sodding pointless heat pad.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Nick Clegg and the entire LibDem party for kow-towing to the Tories in a desperate bid for power.

What made you think that the numbers that don't add up now did so last year, the year before or even in May 2010?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ICTH the cretinous, tin-eared Sunday School mother who just called to tell me she didn't think the 'song' at communion was 'sppropriate for kiddies'.

It was Orlando Gibbons This is the record of John - how is that inappropriate for anyone, never mind your lumpen, overweight, dull-eyed offspring.

FTR I think it 'inappropriate' for your 6 year old daughter to attend church in fancy dress - at least I assume you thought it was a costume for her to be dressed like a c1980s hooker?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH lyric videos.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suggest that we have an all-shipamtes moment of prayer for that mother. Next thing, she'll b decrying Messiah.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Messiah!!! Are you MAD?

It talks about all sorts of unsuitable things for kiddies: death, suffering, rejection.

And besides, at longer than an EP its far too long.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH this whole fucked up project. Why oh why did you hire me to remove your redundancies/clear up your structure/simplify your language (at vast expense of death to my brain cells) ...

....if you were only going to bloody put everything fucking well back????

WHYohWHYohYoYOYOY....

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
ICTH the cretinous, tin-eared Sunday School mother who just called to tell me she didn't think the 'song' at communion was 'sppropriate for kiddies'.

It was Orlando Gibbons This is the record of John - how is that inappropriate for anyone, never mind your lumpen, overweight, dull-eyed offspring.

FTR I think it 'inappropriate' for your 6 year old daughter to attend church in fancy dress - at least I assume you thought it was a costume for her to be dressed like a c1980s hooker?

I'm glad you TICTH this because it made me You Tube the piece. Great stuff! And what a dork that woman is to think otherwise!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH militant fundamentalists who can't let people discuss something of interest without butting in to tell us, in no uncertain terms, that we're all wrong and going to burn in hell's fires for eternity if we don't immediately recant our horrid, sinful words and ask Jesus into our hearts to be our personal savior.

It almost makes me wish eternal conscious torment was real, so I could give 'em a taste.

But not for eternity. That would just be cruel.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH friggin' bureaucracies, and their lack of paying attention, listening, and understanding--and inability to change their minds.
[Mad]

{Splits bureaucracy wide open, and pours compassion, empathy, and common sense in...and some comfort food, so they'll play nicely.}

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH pedestrians who start to cross the road just as the traffic lights turn green.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH 1) my boss; 2) workplace bullying

1 & 2 may not be wholly unrelated.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
TICTH 1) my boss; 2) workplace bullying

1 & 2 may not be wholly unrelated.

Handy advice* from a former work’s council member/staff representative:

What you need are written traces of your mistreatment. Unless your boss is a complete idiot, they are presumably not bullying you in writing.

Here's what you do: send an email to your colleagues complaining, ranting and whingeing about your poor sad lot. ‘It’s not fair, why does s/he always speak to me like that, I didn’t do nuffink etc. etc.’ With a bit of luck (because this is the sort of thing people like getting involved in) one or more of your colleagues will send a sympathetic reply along the lines of ‘you poor thing, it’s not your fault, you know what s/he’s like’. And that, my friend, is a written trace of an incident of you getting bullied. If you can get a few of these on different occasions, even better. Stick that baby safely in a folder in your inbox titled ‘Personal and Confidential’.

Now, here’s the really cunning bit. You don’t need the permission of the sender of the aforementioned email to show it to the powers that be. Your name is in the ‘to’ field, so it belongs to you and you are at liberty to show it to whomever you like. And you never know when that thing might come in handy.

*I know, in hell [Disappointed] . But’s it’s quite sneaky and devious advice, so I’m hoping I’ll get away with it [Two face]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Before a hellhost shows up to puncture me--

Don't just save that sucker, print it out and take it home. Also forward to home email. If you think the PTB aren't going through your computer, you're naïve.

And be careful to stick to facts only "I can't believe he told me to edit all 30 volumes of the Britannica by Monday!" rather than throwing nasty names and vague accusations ("He's so mean") around. The former are more likely to be verifiable as actual real events, and even if they can't find outside verification, your coworkers' sympathetic response suggests rather strongly they are witnesses (or at least know that he is the sort who would do such a thing).

Okay,...OUCH!...to keep that pitchfork away from my rear OUCH! OUCH OUCH! ... TICTH lovely, lovely dental pain caused by having a wee bit of your jaw break off when the dentist can't get his drill through your ever-loving heavy-duty bone, and has to bring out the big guns. We hates bone pain, my precioussssss, we hates it forever with a passion.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the driver of Newport bus YN53 GYY.

If a potential passenger knocks on the door that you have just closed, before you have moved off, it really isn't a good idea to flash your best sarcastic grin at that passenger. Newport just isn't that big a town.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Egeria:
Those dumb shits who decided to join an originally peaceful protest march so that they would have a chance to vandalize local businesses (including my usual grocery store, which has had its windows smashed). Tell me, dumb shits, has Trader Joe's endorsed excessive force by police in another part of the country? And if you really cared about social justice, dumb shits, you wouldn't be taking out your dumb shit rage on innocent bystanders and destroying the credibility of your cause at the same time.

And incidentally been the cause of that helicopter hovering directly over my building, sometimes close enough to make the wall heater rattle, for the past three hours or so.

Don't worry. Thursday's super storm will wash all of the jagoffs away.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH people starting tangents and offering perhaps questionable advice. Sioni made killing the last iteration his last stylish act for a reason. Do you lot not know to respect the last wishes of the departed?

Solemn bow towards Hostly Bowler in its reliquary.

THREAD CLOSED.

And it stays closed.

—Ariston, Hellhost

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016