homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hell hath no fury (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell hath no fury
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So last night I started a hell thread on "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. But I felt more incoherently angry than brilliantly angry, so I deleted it and posted in TITCH instead. And now we are ending up starting a tangent there, so moving here.
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
TITCH: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."
Because men just love being scorned, dontcha know!

One of those delightful phrases chock full with sexist assumptions.

I know someone who was literally harrassed for years because every time she asked for help, the perp would simply evoke this phrase, and nobody would ask any further questions. Fucking ugliness.
And Twilight responded

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
They all think it breaks our hearts if they don't find us attractive -- thus we have been "scorned," by them. They didn't see us turn to our friends and stick our fingers down our throats

It's evolved to a simpler, "bitches be crazy," for the morons that don't know what scorned means.

Right. Women sometimes go crazy when you break up with them and key your car. Men sometimes go crazy when you break up with them and murder you and your kids.

It's become unbelievably dangerous out there for women, girls aren't even safe at college parties.

Besides all these, I love how the phrase is used to imply women are more emotional and more unbalanced. Another phrase used to gaslight people.

Fuck everyone who says this.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Preach it! All patriarchal horseshit for the spitroast.

[Mad]

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if the saying gained currency because of power imbalance. A man who was "scorned" (whatever that means) could immediately respond in kind - physically, emotionally, financially - because he had the resources at hand to do so. A woman was denied those resources and hence had to plot and plan her comeback instead, which made it (a) probably considerably better planned (b) more effective and (c) more noticeable than an equivalent male response. This drew attention to her "fury" and the saying arose, with women effectively being blamed for reacting to a situation they hadn't created in the only way they could.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could be, but I'd bet money that the saying gained currency because a man doing negative things to a woman was normal while a woman doing negative things to a man was striking and unusual, worthy of attention.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Could be, but I'd bet money that the saying gained currency because a man doing negative things to a woman was normal while a woman doing negative things to a man was striking and unusual, worthy of attention.

Minus his elaborated scenario, you and Lord J are essentially filing the same complaint.
The saying is rubbish, regardless.
To echo your last line: Fuck the micro-mind misogynists who use it. And their boiled pasta brained apologists.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the thread where I ask for help in exegeting Ecclesiastes 7:28?

quote:
One man among a thousand I found, but a woman among all these I have not found
Thank you.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

quote:
Thank you.
If I was required to preach on this verse, I would say:
This is what happens when you stop taking your meds!

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... And I'd point out that Solomon, being the ass he was, had probably "looked" in his harem (not having free access to many other women, given the culture and his status and reputation); and no intelligent woman stuck in his harem would be anything but very, very wary and careful not to reveal her true self.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My IVP commentary says that line of argument is just so much hand-waving, and asserts that the meaning reflects patriarchism, plain and simple [Angel]

[ 20. November 2014, 18:36: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If that's directed to me, I believe I said that. I simply seated the patriarchalism on the correct ass.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a side note, Oscar, that Oremus link is to 1 Corinthians. I somehow think that's not quite what you intended.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did check it. Yes, it is Corinthians. I assumed it was some sort of Kerygmania in-joke and let it pass...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing is, in the case I mentioned, it was the woman's female friends who openly embraced the perp. Who gathered round to offer a listening ear to the perp, who isolated her and lampooned her and further abused her, who began treating him like the captain of the football team and vying for his attention.

And God help the person who broke rank and stood by her.

I brought this up on a thread a while back, when someone or other wondered aloud why women stay in abusive marriages-- it's not just that she might be suffering from learned helplessness, it might be that if she breaks away, she might not just lose what meager life she had but also have to suffer through the spectacle of half her friends hitting on her ex.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a suspicion that the fury referred to was not originally anger, but the Hadean creature of that name - one of those whose task was to pursue wrongdoers until their hubris was met with nemesis.

So it would originally have been a more subtle remark - but as it is used now it has lost the element of the pursued having been in error, and is just getting at the women again.

Like the female of the species - whose deadliness is in defence of those under her protection. Half the meaning has been lost, strayed or stolen.

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was a mangling of "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." Which is said by a woman.

And I thought its current popularity was due to the Tyler Perry musical.

But what the hell do I know.

quote:
It's become unbelievably dangerous out there for women, girls aren't even safe at college parties.

When was it ever safe?

(Where did the idea that the world was going to be a safe place for everyone all the time even come from?)

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
When was it ever safe?

See below.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have a suspicion that the fury referred to was not originally anger, but the Hadean creature of that name - one of those whose task was to pursue wrongdoers until their hubris was met with nemesis.

So it would originally have been a more subtle remark - but as it is used now it has lost the element of the pursued having been in error, and is just getting at the women again.

Like the female of the species - whose deadliness is in defence of those under her protection. Half the meaning has been lost, strayed or stolen.

This makes a lot of sense.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the origin of the phrase:

Following various Wiki paths, I found that it's from "The Mourning Bride", a 17th cent. tragic play by William Congreve. The line is at the end of Act III, Scene ii--the very bottom of the linked page.

They're spoken by Zara, "a Captive Queen", to Osmyn, "a Noble Prisoner". They've been having an intense conversation about betrayal. It takes place in Grenada, Spain; and from the names, I think the Moorish/Christian situation is at least a thread of the story. I've only skimmed parts of the play, but it seems to be a Shakespeare-like (though shorter) "secrets and lies" sort of work. From what I read, it seems the situations and lines can be viewed in multiple ways.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
When was it ever safe?

See below.
Below says:

quote:
So you agree we need better manners?

And you think we should have separate men's colleges and women's colleges?

(Also, according to the women I know, that wasn't true - alcohol was the original date rape drug that men tried to trick you into consuming).

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Re the origin of the phrase:

Following various Wiki paths, I found that it's from "The Mourning Bride", a 17th cent. tragic play by William Congreve.

So saying it was first spoken by a woman is a bit of a stretch, since it was put into her mouth by a man.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, yes.

If someone is, for completely batshit reasons, given no legal or legitimate recourse for their grievance, then yes, they will seem to overreact.

Injustice gets to you after a while, especially if you're the recipient of it. And to shit-for-brains types who don't understand this, the reaction may seem "crazy." As a dear friend of mine (male, it happens) once opined, being crazy is just a coping mechanism in a world that has completely lost its mind.

And yes, being a woman in a patriarchal society is rather crazy-making.

But people who are too busy pleasuring themselves by ramming their heads up their own asses...well, it's hard for the poor dears to read for context, so you get this particular piece of steaming chauvinistic crap.

Patriarchy is as patriarchy does.

[ 21. November 2014, 01:32: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard the phrase mondegreened as "hell has no fury like a woman's corns".

Not sure if that's better or worse.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think quite a few acrimonious divorces could indeed bear witness that Heav'n has no Rage, like Love to Hatred turn'd - the sexism lies in implying that only women take it badly, unstable, hysterical creatures that we are.

No woman has ever been stalked or had acid thrown in her face by a rejected man. Nor ever been murdered by a jealous or controlling ex. Never happens.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Thank you.
"Hi, Solly, Sheba here. How ya doing, mate? Great, great ... Solly, I just wanted to have a word about that little book you brought out..."

'Tis great nonsense, it's true. But having spent too many Friday nights clubbing in Newcastle in my well-spent youth, I do have some anecdotal evidence for the related maxim that "men fight to make a point; women fight to win."

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

When was it ever safe?

(Where did the idea that the world was going to be a safe place for everyone all the time even come from?)

Who said anything about everyone all the time? It's a matter of degrees.

Yes, there have always been rapists, women have always faced danger, but the open acceptance of horrible treatment toward women has escalated quite a bit over my life time. I went to lots of parties when I was in college and I never saw even a hint of the sort of rough treatment that goes on in places like Ohio State University now. At least if a man did rape a woman he probably wouldn't have been bragging about it and expecting his friends to congratulate him about it the next day. It's partly because it was still rare and shocking that people found it hard to believe when someone, previously respected was accused.

Yes, some men used to try to get women drunk, but forcing a date to down six or seven mixed drinks is much harder than slipping a drug in her glass of wine. It's two very different things.

I get tired of people insisting that nothing has changed, soon someone will bring out the Aristotle (?) quote about young people getting worse all the time. Maybe they were worse. Some generations got better. I think the Victorians were better behaved than their grandparents, at least a little less likely to feel free to rape the servants, than the aristocrats of the eighteenth century.

I have friends my age who steadfastly refuse to take part in any "things have gotten worse," discussion because of a huge fear of sounding like old fogeys, but I have no such hang-up. I embrace my fogeyness. Things are more dangerous for young women today than they were in the 1950's and 1960's. I was all over the Ohio State area when I was nineteen. Walking High Street at two o'clock in the morning by myself, visiting friends in male dorms, going to parties till dawn and walking back to my rooming house. Something bad might have happened then. Something bad almost certainly would now.

Or have I watched too much "Dateline?"

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing that's gone up is our sensitivity.

Thank God.

--------------------

Erik
Shipmate
# 11406

- Posted      Profile for Erik   Email Erik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Thank you.
That just makes me think of Where's Wally.

--------------------
One day I will think of something worth saying here.

Posts: 96 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
The only thing that's gone up is our sensitivity.

When I was in college more than sixty years ago, I did not hear of students being raped. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I suspect it was not as common.

Nowadays students are openly expected to be sexually active and to have multiple partners. When I was in college there was the idea that you did not even engage in heavy petting unless you were committed to the other person.

I think the assumption that everyone should engage in casual sex has led to more frequent rapes, because the men can't believe that the women really don't want to have sex with them.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo,

The problem is that back then, many rapes, especially date rape, went unreported. The treatment of the victim was horrendous. Not that it is sunshine and lollies now.
And those rapes reported didn't get the exposure they do now.
This makes comparison nigh impossible, but I don't think your premise is completely accurate.
Think of the Penn State molestation case. It went as long as it did, in part, because many of the people involved were from the era of which you speak. The era in which such things were not spoken.

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, some men used to try to get women drunk, but forcing a date to down six or seven mixed drinks is much harder than slipping a drug in her glass of wine. It's two very different things.

Definitely agree with this. Alcohol is not a "date rape drug." You can't say that seriously if you know what date rape drugs ARE.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

To add to what lilbuddha said that is more striking because of how under reported rape is now! Of the multiple people who have told me personally about being raped not one of them reported it. That's just an anecdote, of course, but it doesn't make me think that rape is very reliably reported now either! Virtually no one reported it back then. Now very few do!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother was of the opinion that things were a lot safer while she was growing up in Sussex between the wars. (Though someone did turn up at the family home while her parents were out and seemed to have been told that she was available for casual sex. When my grandfather turned up the nasty piece of work found out very quickly that he was wrong.)

There was an obvious difference between the world of Britain then and now, in the absence of a generation of men and a superfluity of women.

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

So, you're safe as long as your father/husband is strong and/or armed enough to scare off a would-be rapist. Or if you're one of those fortunate ones who is considered respectable.

I'm also kind of gobsmacked by how recently the decision was made public that a husband was not entitled to the right to rape his wife. Those laws are younger than I am, and I'm not very old.

[ 21. November 2014, 21:34: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:

That wasn't what I was thinking of. I was thinking of the frat parties I heard about where the men had a habit of spiking the punch and not telling the women about it. People who aren't used to drinking will be more vulnerable after a couple glasses of punch spiked with 151 proof grain alcohol.

quote:
Why myself, visiting friends in male dorms, going to parties till dawn and walking back to my rooming house. Something bad might have happened then. Something bad almost certainly would now.

You've watched too much "Dateline" (and possibly Law & Order). While it's true that some women make horrible choices when it comes to their partner, as long as you're not regularly getting shitfaced drunk in public and going home with random strangers and/or expecting random strangers to protect you on a regular basis, you'd probably be fine.

I read an article a couple years ago about cab drivers in DC giving drunk college girls rides home even when they didn't have the money to pay for it because they felt bad and wanted them to be safe (and the girls had spent all their money on alcohol).

I think it's that kind of double standard that's fueling some of the hostility you perceive. And the t-shirts that say things like 'so, do you want me to buy you a couple drinks or just give you the money directly?'

From what I can tell having worked on college campuses for years, things have gotten so much better than when I was a teen.

quote:
I'm also kind of gobsmacked by how recently the decision was made public that a husband was not entitled to the right to rape his wife. Those laws are younger than I am, and I'm not very old.

And how many successful prosecutions of husbands raping their wives have there been?

What's the point of a law that it's almost impossible to enforce? Is it like that new law for university students in California, where it's all about the symbolic value?

Why as a society do we want to set the bar that low? What, you earn some sort of a prize and get to call yourself a good husband if you don't rape your wife?

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Actually, I imagine the bar used to be lower. This is improvement.

And yes, having a law so you at least have a slim chance in our godforsaken so-called "justice" system, that's an improvement.

We've got a long way to go.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, it has gotten tons better. Within my lifetime (and I am not old) it was illegal, in the state I am now living in, for me to be married to my husband. The miscegenation laws were repealed quite recently.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:

And yes, having a law so you at least have a slim chance in our godforsaken so-called "justice" system, that's an improvement.

Such an odd thing to post on a Christian website.

I might expect it from one of our resident secular humanists who regularly point out that this isn't a Christian nation and non-Christians can't be expected to adhere to the teachings of Christianity, but...Or are you trying to argue that secular humanism is inherently immoral or amoral and the blunt hand of the law is the only thing that can keep them in line?

Who knows.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You do realise, you're now legally obliged to go and purchase one of these?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was thinking of the frat parties I heard about where the men had a habit of spiking the punch and not telling the women about it. People who aren't used to drinking will be more vulnerable after a couple glasses of punch spiked with 151 proof grain alcohol.

True, that's the premise of the movie, "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek," set in 1944.
quote:

quote:
You've watched too much "Dateline" (and possibly Law & Order).

From what I can tell having worked on college campuses for years, things have gotten so much better than when I was a teen.

Okay then, I bow to your more recent experience.

[ 22. November 2014, 11:48: Message edited by: Twilight ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell may well have no fury 'like a woman scorned' - but what it should have is fury as a woman bored to tears with being patronised and condescended to.

Got that off my chest on behalf of my god-daughter who's with me for the weekend [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when I was in college in the 1950s, I went out on a blind date; it was a double date. I got bad vibes from the man almost immediately.

We went to a place and ordered beer. He pulled a bottle of vodka out and added some to his beer and mine. It tasted delicious, but he was much too eager to have me drink it, so I didn't.

Some years later I was with friends in a private home and I tried it. It still tasted delicious, but it packed a tremendous wallop.

To be fair, my date did not try to coerce me in any way. However, I was just as glad it was a double date.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How unexpected! Laced beer and variations will now be known as "The Moo" chez Sioni. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The same thing was going on in ancient history, or when I was younger, whichever you prefer.

When I was XX* years old a friend advised me on a date to drink whisky and dry ginger on the first drink, then just the dry ginger on its own while continuing to supply the girl with alcohol.

I never did it.

---------

* age omitted so I do not incriminate myself on underage drinking.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
quote:

I might expect it from one of our resident secular humanists who regularly point out that this isn't a Christian nation and non-Christians can't be expected to adhere to the teachings of Christianity, but...Or are you trying to argue that secular humanism is inherently immoral or amoral and the blunt hand of the law is the only thing that can keep them in line?

Who knows.

I'm not saying any of those things. Try again, if you care to.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

Nah. Bitches be crazy.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most important things in the world right now are education and empowerment of women to manage their own lives in any way they want. The second most important thing is to use their knees and left hook, both verbally and physically, whenever required.

Being a father of daughters, and a brother to sisters, and as a husband, I can't think of anything more important.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
The second most important thing is to use their knees and left hook, both verbally and physically, whenever required.

Don't forget snorting and laughing. I always found it had a withering effect.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
The most important things in the world right now are education and empowerment of women to manage their own lives in any way they want. The second most important thing is to use their knees and left hook, both verbally and physically, whenever required.

Being a father of daughters, and a brother to sisters, and as a husband, I can't think of anything more important.

I sometimes think that all the girls and women in Afghanistan and Pakistan and some other places should be taught self-defense--and the women given guns.

I'm not sure how you stop men who throw acid in the faces of school girls *before* they do it.

[Mad]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Statistics being as there are re. violence towards females, that it would be perfectly legitimate to arm females. Maybe not with an oozie, but pepper-spray, cattle prodder or something similar.

Or is this just me being patronising? In a perfect world there would be no violence towards females, or indeed anyone. Trouble is, I see no perfect world. Neither past, present or future.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
...it would be perfectly legitimate to arm females. Maybe not with an oozie...

Depends on what it oozes.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016