homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Calling Chick-Fil-A to that flame-broiled grill in the Great Beyond (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Calling Chick-Fil-A to that flame-broiled grill in the Great Beyond
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Not to a Brit. We pronounce fillet as it's spelt - to rhyme with skillet.

Filet, spelt the French way, would be pronounced fil-ay, but you only see that on restaurant menus.

It was only recently that I figured the name was a pun.

That would have been the point of my post—to make you stumble into chick-fil-let—were you to have been able to glimpse across the supercilious spelling conventions immuring your blinkered isle. Here, spelt is a kind of grain.

Despite the redoubtable RooK's assertion, American can spell.
quote:
From one source:
Fillet and filet are another traditional bone of contention. Though they’re variant spellings of the same word, some editors have chosen to use fillet for fish and filet for meat. But not the AP [Associated Press style guide]: Here it’s fillet (“a boneless cut”) either way, except in filet mignon and, of course, Filet-O-Fish.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

Oh, and OP... when he got to your table, why didn't you ball up a fist, summon up your courage and... twat the bastard?

That would be gutsy. What if he really was a Mormon missionary. Everybody knows it ain't nuthin' for a Mormon missionary to whup a man's ass.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Preach. Why do you think they wear short sleeved dress shirts? so they don't have to roll their sleeves up...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Despite the redoubtable RooK's assertion, American can spell.

No it can't.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice fucking job, TSA. Think the UK grammar police will ever let us forget that one? Nope.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damn right. Just trying to parse that sentence made my eyes bleed.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Nice fucking job, TSA. Think the UK grammar police will ever let us forget that one? Nope.

[Big Grin]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Damn right. Just trying to parse that sentence made my eyes bleed.

It seems to me a good treatment for bleeding eyes is to drink beer. Your eyes will still bleed but beer tastes good.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmmm. Beer.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Tubbs

Always happy to keep the flame alive.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

But it's not really a fucking grammar problem nor a fucking spelling problem is it? It was a fucking typographical or editing problem.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Don't be so fucking picky.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
A proper, handmade pork pie, with choice cuts of pork and short, glazed pastry: it's a thing of beauty, I tell you.

Is something made with "choice cuts of pork" truly a pork pie? Most things like meat pies were made from cheap shit -- a way to use up leftovers and cheap cuts that aren't good enough to stand on a plate on their own. I'm having a hard time thinking that a pie made with "choice cuts" is anything like authentic.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The cheap cuts go into the sausages... and that short pastry.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the dodgily-attributed-to-Bismarck quote goes, "to retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not watch them in the making."

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Dons hostly furry hat

Miss Amanda has petitioned the Commissars for the closure of this now-pie-and-sausage-infested thread. We have concluded that pork pies are nothing but a tool of Capitalist lackeys, and the less said about those decadent wurst the better.

To the gulag with them both. Thread closed.

Doc Tor
Hell Host

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016