homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ho Ho Bloody Ho (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ho Ho Bloody Ho
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Imagine my smiling little face when I opened an email from w*rk today, to find that December 12th is Festive-Wear Day, when we are 'encouraged' to come to w*rk wearing something 'festive', like a Christmas jumper, or reindeer antlers, or a full-on Christmas outfit, so that London can see how christmassy and festive we are.

I've just realized, of course 12 December is Christmas Jumper Day, when people are encouraged to wear a jumper with a Christmas theme and donate money to charity. The "donate money to charity" bit sometimes seems to get a bit lost in the general competitiveness of who's got the most themey of themed sweaters.
Ah, that makes it better - there'll be a donations jar at w*rk, apparently, where anyone can pay a 'fine' (for not wearing uniform) of at least a pound. I shall put something into the jar my next shift after it, with grateful thanks for my rota's deliverance of me from fancy-dress or Christmas jumpers.
(no excuse to buy this one , with its "fun reindeer conga-line". That's not how I know the conga... [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh fuck me! It looks like I came back just in time.

Grow a pair people!

WE know what Christmas is, and on Christmas Eve WE will know what the manger means.

WE will know, on Christmas Day, that today is the day that God became man.

If others choose to shop or send Christmas cards with exasperated looking santas on, or call it winterval, who fucking cares? WE know the difference!

On Christmas Eve I will be at midnight mass. On Christmas day I will say my prayers to God and Christ, and the Holy Spirit, and the Father. On the Sunday after Christmas I will be the Crucifier in our Eucharist Service.

Whatever the rest choose to do is irrelevant and not worth getting worked up about.

Except for the shopping. I have shares in Marks and Spencer and Amazon so do lots of that! I need lots of 'olidays next year! I'm thinking of a cruise.

[ 04. December 2014, 21:32: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sipech

My, that's a large sig. Are you compensating for something? Regulations stipulate no more than 4 lines, and yours is rather engorged. Tumescent, almost.

Doc Tor
Hell host

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is something seriously wrong with the radio blaring out, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" when you've had a week of 38 deg and there is a massive thunder storm predicted. We have some lovely carols in this end of the world, but you never hear them. All we get is Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells etc.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 'winter songs when it's sunny' thing does seem really weird, Athrawes. Surely there's enough songs that don't directly reference the weather for them to play! (Or maybe not, I've never bothered counting)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Want Christmas Hell? Try shacking up with a primary school music teacher. The only thing worse than Sleigh Ride is Sleigh Ride played on a ukelele.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Is this because no one likes you and no-one gives you presents? or egg nog? Are you a loser?

Yes. And?
Ahem.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Want Christmas Hell? Try shacking up with a primary school music teacher. The only thing worse than Sleigh Ride is Sleigh Ride played on a ukelele.

Thanks, comet. I must learn that.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I shall put something into the jar my next shift after it, with grateful thanks for my rota's deliverance of me from fancy-dress or Christmas jumpers.
(no excuse to buy this one , with its "fun reindeer conga-line". That's not how I know the conga... [Disappointed]

That's a conga line? It looks like something else.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Ah, but that's not real shopping!

That's because real shopping requires a Scotsman?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Sleigh Ride played by an orchestra of ukeleles , on the other hand...
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reindeer conga-line??? [Killing me]

Anyone else old enough to remember 2 memorable 1960s/70s T-shirts: one entitled Makin' Bacon featured copulating pigs and the other, 'Fly United' mating swans.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Reindeer conga-line??? [Killing me]

Anyone else old enough to remember 2 memorable 1960s/70s T-shirts: one entitled Makin' Bacon featured copulating pigs and the other, 'Fly United' mating swans.

Guilty as charged. ISTR frogs playing 'leapfrog' too.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
There is something seriously wrong with the radio blaring out, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" when you've had a week of 38 deg and there is a massive thunder storm predicted. We have some lovely carols in this end of the world, but you never hear them. All we get is Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells etc.

As I understand it, Mel Torme and the other guy (whose name I never recall) wrote The Christmas Song ("Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...") because it was summer in Brooklyn and they were sweltering, and they thought that by writing a Christmas song they'd feel cooler. Alas it didn't work and now we have their #@*($@ song to suffer through every half hour anytime we're in a public place (mall, gas/petrol station, grocery store, brothel, etc.).

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Aggressive secular/atheist types who tell you in no uncertain terms religion is a load of bollocks, Jesus was a twat, and the whole thing is bilge, and express contempt for the imagery used in carols, cards, etc etc, but insist on their right to celebrate Christmas. Wtf are you celebrating, exactly? The getting of gifts?

Meh. If they're that obnoxious (and I've met the type), THAT is the problem, not their celebrating a chance to be with family and get pressies. Who wouldn't want to celebrate that? Extreme hermit types maybe, although they still might enjoy getting pressies in the mail.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
... your liturgical arse! ...

Oh great. Now I have a grotesque image stuck in my head of spending the next three weeks with a purple arse.
Shouldn't it be rose for the third Sunday?
Hey, there are only so many coats of paint an arse can take. Actually, it's not so much the paint as the sandpapering between coats.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Is this because no one likes you and no-one gives you presents? or egg nog? Are you a loser?

Yes. And?
Ahem.
Link doesn't work. Bit careless with the old axe are we bunnykins?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe. Can you come a little closer and look it over for me?

Closer.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Link doesn't work. Bit careless with the old axe are we bunnykins?

First the good news. You've corrected your sig to the authorised sized. Now the bad news. Either your computer is a pile of shit, or the person operating it is too stupid to breathe. The link works just fine.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until all my Christmas cards are sent and all the presents bought and wrapped in readiness, I find the whole thing stressful and wince inwardly whenever I hear Christmas music played. I'm pacing myself with buying one present per day to cope.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Looks like it's gonna be another year when everyone gets gifts from the dollar store. I hate that so much. [Frown]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

( Basically this. )

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my best ever Christmas presents was a whisky miniature. It looked cheap, but it had what I needed in it to get over a particular moment in the kitchen later in the day. Cheap doesn't preclude appreciated.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Yipee] [Yipee] Hooray! Whiskey for all the kids!

Yeah, I know it's the thought that counts, and Chistmas is about the heart and not the presents, and the Gift of the Maji, and blahdiblahdiflippingblah, but there is a difference between "chesp" and " shit you had to scrape out of the Dollar Store."

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Yipee] [Yipee] Hooray! Whiskey for all the kids!

They make wonderful stocking stuffers.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kids or whiskey?

[Two face]

In any case, if you're really skint, you can sometimes make a totally bad-for-you sweet and package it individually. Or give coupons, i.e. I will let you off piano practice / drive you to your girlfriend's house / tell you how awesome your toilet paper origami is [Devil] . Of course, I never made coupons like this, nosireee.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, the coupon thing. i've done the coupon thing. The kids give me pitying smiles, thank me profusely, and fire up the new game on the Wii. And never cash the things in. [Frown]

I know I have a crappy attitude, but That's What Hell is For.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmmmm.....

Could rev the coupons up, maybe.

"I will rescue your sorry ass when you've been out drinking way too late and you need someone to sneak you in the house."

"I will rip strips off of you for being an idiot but I will allow X to believe you were behaving yourself in my company the next time you do Y."

"I will refrain from asking obvious but embarrassing questions the next time I catch you in a compromising situation."

and so forth.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hm... Your reference to toilet paper origami brings out the devil in me, though... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't enter a shopping mall for the month of December (or most other months) any more, so I'm spared a lot of the gut-churning quasi-Christmas music, the fear of being trampled to death, and the inevitable dent in the car from someone else's door. My particular irritation is the newspaper headlines. using only the Glasgow Herald as a source. We have, for example:

- Festive railway engineering works
- Festive bug outbreak
- Festive road casualties
- Festive strike action
- Festive job cuts
- Festive warning over lorry driver shortage

I send them a grumpy letter about it every year, but it doesn't help.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just trying to imagine how one would write a letter about a driver shortage that was a truly festive letter: Merry Christmas! We don't have enough people to drive the trucks. 'Tis the season to be jolly, but our customers won't be jolly if we don't get them what they bought.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
My particular irritation is the newspaper headlines. using only the Glasgow Herald as a source. We have, for example:

- Festive railway engineering works
- Festive bug outbreak
- Festive road casualties
- Festive strike action
- Festive job cuts
- Festive warning over lorry driver shortage

I thought Edinburgh was the Festival City?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

I'm sure the arrival of your letter is now seen as a traditional part of the festivities.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing that could make it worse is if Tori Amos recorded a Christmas album that featured songs about those topics. [Snigger]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it this isn't sufficient, then?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But, which song is about grumpy letters to the papers?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
[Overused] Although in some ways it's better than Gordon Cheng's old annual screed about the evils of Lent.

I suspect Gordo has a program which trawls the net looking for mentions of his name...

Congrats MT, you'll have given him a smile for Christmas [Smile]

S-E

Gordo - Gone... but never forgotten.

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I take it this isn't sufficient, then?

Coffee cost three dollars? Not around here $1,50 is average. Haven't a clue what *$$$$$$$ costs = but then one could debate whether that is actually coffee.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:
I suspect Gordo has a program which trawls the net looking for mentions of his name...

The inspiration for Voldemort?

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate all the stores getting on a pseudo charity push. They all want you to come and buy yet another fluffy toy for some little boy/girl who has none and put it under the tree at the front of the store. The businesses can then pat themselves on the back and feel good for another 12 months. And they rake in more money by the toy sales. Trouble is, the needy children don't need fluffy toys; they need food, housing, health care, education, clothes and love. And it is needed all year, not just in December. Bah, humbug!! [Mad]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Socratic-enigma:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
[Overused] Although in some ways it's better than Gordon Cheng's old annual screed about the evils of Lent.

Congrats MT, you'll have given him a smile for Christmas [Smile]

If being despised makes him feel loved, well then it's my pleasure.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
quote:
... your liturgical arse! ...

Oh great. Now I have a grotesque image stuck in my head of spending the next three weeks with a purple arse.
Shouldn't it be rose for the third Sunday?
Hey, there are only so many coats of paint an arse can take. Actually, it's not so much the paint as the sandpapering between coats.
Freedom and Song is that way -->

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Everyone has a blistering case of the Christmas Crotcheties lately. Memo to everyone-- yes, that means you--- drink a cup of egg nog and chill the fuck out.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoever had the idea of serving hot chocolate cold should be strung up, with the bells, baubles and tinsel.

Suitably illuminated, of course.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I've a bottle of that in my fridge. Labelled "Chocolate flavoured milk".

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Exactly. What brand of stupid is "cold hot chocolate"? (And yes, I have heard about it before, and no, I don't want to hear anyone explain what it is. Alan is right, is what it is.)

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everyone has a blistering case of the Christmas Crotcheties lately. Memo to everyone-- yes, that means you--- drink a cup of egg nog and chill the fuck out.

Egg nog. Does it taste as dubiously vile as it sounds?

Red wine. Lots and lots of decent red wine. Or good sherry. Or a decent port. Or a nice amontillado. Or a husky single malt. Or a high alcohol volume mulled wine. Or....

okay, you get the picture [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Hmmm...it's been a long time since I had any; and it was probably the kind you get in a carton from the dairy aisle, without any alcohol. But I think it was kind of like liquid dessert custard, with nutmeg.

IIRC, it wasn't awful, but might be better made from scratch.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Home-made, and with a suitably large slug of bourbon added (I can't stand rum), egg nog is wonderful.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I thought it was brandy.

Anyway, Anslemina, it's booze-- that's all you need to know.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Hmmm...it's been a long time since I had any; and it was probably the kind you get in a carton from the dairy aisle, without any alcohol. But I think it was kind of like liquid dessert custard, with nutmeg.

IIRC, it wasn't awful, but might be better made from scratch.

It's awfully sweet. The booze tones down the cloyingness of the dairy product and makes it drinkable.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016