homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Faithfree Guidelines (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Faithfree Guidelines
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only expectations of posting are that you accept others lack of faith - we have all made these decisions for good reasons.

Exploring the reasons is valid, but proselytising - trying to draw people back to faith or back to church - is not acceptable.

As with everywhere on the ship, please respect other peoples decisions and where they are. These decisions have been made with much pain. This board is to explore what this means, how people cope and deal with this, not to question the decisions.

Thank you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After discussion, this thread is designated as a place to ask anything about hosting decisions or direction. Please raise any issues or questions here.

Note that in some cases we might have to discuss and identify the right way to go, so it may take some time to get a response, however, we will read regularly.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was uncomfortable with the hosting call re IngoB stating a piece of reasoning was based on false premises (sorry ipad copy/paste not working so linking is compromised).

It feels difficult to post on this board unless you also agree, respectful disagreement is needed or you risk just being an echo chamber. Alot of statements are being made about both "the church" and "Christianity" that i would want to discuss - but if that hosting call is how you are interpreting your guidelines, I don't see how that would be possible.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is the post in question:
Straws which broke the camel's back?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From SC's guidelines above:

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Exploring the reasons is valid, [..]

This board is to explore what this means, how people cope and deal with this, not to question the decisions.

There's a certain amount of tension in these statements. For me, "exploring the reasons" for anything inevitably involves questioning, because that's the way I think. I examine a set of logic and premises by trying to disprove them.

It's not very comfortable to be on the receiving end of such an enquiry, and it seems clear that the intent of this board is to provide a comfortable space for faith-free, church-free or similar people to examine the consequences of their choices and beliefs without being asked to defend them.

Which, in turn, means that, as mousethief suggested in the thread in question, pretty much any discussion of reasons for a faith-free stance probably needs to end up in Purgatory.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally don't mind critique of my position and opinions - which is what I think Ingo was actually doing with his comment. What I do mind (for this board at least) is when that strays into an attempt to convert which at least explicitly he definitely wasn't doing.

I think more shipmates would feel happier talking here if we could clarify that line so that people can ask questions and probe deeper. It'd further discussion.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find I have to remind myself that I am not on a crusade, too. I seem to be going through an angry stage at the moment and that means I feel and say things about the church that some Christians may find offensive. There is no sense in saying anything about GOD because ..... and there lies another danger, for me.
I am grateful for this Board and don't want it to be a place where I only sound-off. However, in addition to feeling angry, I also feel rather delicate. Any suggestion that I am wrong (!) and need to come back to GOD inevitably will hurt and is likely to receive the full force of my anger.
At the moment, I think the Board guidelines are being followed quite well.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Random example, if someone says - i am not a Christian because they teach this literal understanding of the bible and because of their homophobia. I'd wish to be able to challenge that - as in, perhaps that is true for x,y,z denomination but not all churches/denominations believe that. Is there perhaps an additional reason why you went from weekly home group to athiesm without considering other expressions of faith ?

Because it seems that alot of people using this board are still holding elements of spiritual or theist beliefs & at the same time, alot of posters seem to want recapture elements of their experience of church life.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Random example, if someone says - i am not a Christian because they teach this literal understanding of the bible and because of their homophobia. I'd wish to be able to challenge that - as in, perhaps that is true for x,y,z denomination but not all churches/denominations believe that. Is there perhaps an additional reason why you went from weekly home group to athiesm without considering other expressions of faith ?

Because it seems that alot of people using this board are still holding elements of spiritual or theist beliefs & at the same time, alot of posters seem to want recapture elements of their experience of church life.

The trouble is if you take these two together you are going to find it very difficult to stay within the Board guidelines of no converting, or at least not putting pressure on to come back and try it again.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Actually, I was more thinking - if part of the issue is the structures in which your faith community expressed its faith, you may not want to recreate those again for a different set of beliefs.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were I asked my reasons for breaking with Christianity at a particular point in the past, I am reluctant to talk about them because they involve personal pain that, even 30 years on, I have no wish to revive.

However, the reasons I am not a Christian now are of a different order, and I could see myself comfortably debating those.

But the past and the present, the rational and the personal, are never entirely separable, and it would be each person's call as to what they could deal with.

So I would be in favour of questions being asked, with the proviso that the answer may be 'I don't want to go there'.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
The trouble is if you take these two together you are going to find it very difficult to stay within the Board guidelines of no converting, or at least not putting pressure on to come back and try it again.

Not necessarily. I was thinking - had my predominant experience of church been of a contemplative and liturgical order, rather than evangelical/Calvinistic, might I not now be some sort of cultural Anglican, attached to a particular church by sociability and sentiment? Very possibly no more convinced of the truth of religion, but not having suffered the same painful disruption between life and belief?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure whether my question belongs here on in the Styx - perhaps a kind host could move it if the latter is the answer.

Is there space - here or elsewhere - for those who have found themselves in the same dilemma but taken the opposite path to compare their experience? This is very much my experience, but again I'm rather anxious about using this board to explore it because it may sound like proselytising, on the "it doesn't have to kill your faith - look at me and come back into the fold" lines.

It sits probably on the borders of Purg and All Saints, if not in here. At a wild guess, it's the fact that it sits on so many borders that makes me unable to decide where it belongs....now there's a startling revelation.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
I'm not sure whether my question belongs here on in the Styx - perhaps a kind host could move it if the latter is the answer.

Is there space - here or elsewhere - for those who have found themselves in the same dilemma but taken the opposite path to compare their experience? This is very much my experience, but again I'm rather anxious about using this board to explore it because it may sound like proselytising, on the "it doesn't have to kill your faith - look at me and come back into the fold" lines.

It sits probably on the borders of Purg and All Saints, if not in here. At a wild guess, it's the fact that it sits on so many borders that makes me unable to decide where it belongs....now there's a startling revelation.

A thread that is exploring your story - "I went through a whole lot of questions and rejections, but I came back to church" is acceptable. We are happy to celebrate with you. Please, however, avoid any sense of "so you too can come back to church".

Thank you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

"any sense of" ?

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Telling stories is fine, and exploring those stories.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It feels difficult to post on this board unless you also agree, respectful disagreement is needed or you risk just being an echo chamber.

I think I agree with you Doublethink. The trouble is finding a way of maintaining it as respectful disagreement and keeping the discussion to a tone which those with doubts find comfortable and helpful. I'd actually like to talk through some of my doubts in that context and would accept some respectful challenges, but I have no idea how we create that atmosphere, and I neither have the time nor the inclination to go all out on these things in purg. (And to be honest, I don't want to be swamped under IngoB's unique posting style here or there... I lurk a lot more than I post these days, and I know whereof I speak!)

Best wishes,

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the famous rachel:
(And to be honest, I don't want to be swamped under IngoB's unique posting style here or there... I lurk a lot more than I post these days, and I know whereof I speak!)

Ho hum. [Roll Eyes]

Anyhow, my actual post was intentionally aimed at a specific factual claim and addressed that from a specific point of view. I avoided drawing any further conclusions from that, in particular not any conclusions concerning required spiritual action ("therefore you should return to church", or whatever...). As it happens, I largely agree with Pre-cambrian's conclusion, though obviously not with his/her evaluation thereof. But my post itself was open-ended in this regard.

I count six responses that happily affirm Pre-Cambrian's point of view after my post. Some of them, including that of "the famous rachel", written in a rather stark tone. None of these received any hostly attention.

It seems pretty clear then that the main purpose of this board is the mutual affirmation of each other's peculiar lack of faith. Anything posted along those lines is perfectly fine, anything else, not so much. Discussion is limited to support. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. But I'm not particularly interested in participating. So, enjoy yourself.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, what would you be interested in participating in? What did you expect this board would be?

--------------------
Truth

Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Telling stories is fine, and exploring those stories.

Being a non-theist, I find, can be quite lonely at times. (Not as lonely, I'm sure, as being a faith-free person in the church.) Hearing the stories of others and telling my own is helpful to me. It can be both affirming and challenging.

Story-telling I like.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
I was uncomfortable with the hosting call re IngoB stating a piece of reasoning was based on false premises (sorry ipad copy/paste not working so linking is compromised).

It feels difficult to post on this board unless you also agree, respectful disagreement is needed or you risk just being an echo chamber. Alot of statements are being made about both "the church" and "Christianity" that i would want to discuss - but if that hosting call is how you are interpreting your guidelines, I don't see how that would be possible.

My posting to IngoB was simply a warning that the line was being approached, not that it had been crossed. It was merely alerting those posting to be aware of their style. Within that discussion, nobody actually broke the guidelines.

Faithfree is for exploring the consequences of leaving the faith you once had. For some people, this is their own exploration and they may have questions, wish to share stories, ask about others' experiences, etc. For other people, this may not be your own exploration but you are wondering about how it works for other people. Or you may be in a borderland and trying to explore all sides. Or heading back to your original faith. Questions are welcomed. Exploring the differences between people's experience is OK. Telling people that they are wrong about their own experience is not OK, and we may request that if a discussion turns in that direction that you either change the approach or move the discussion to Purgatory.

So for those who have said you have questions, try them out and let's see how it works.

Schroedingers Cat
Faithfree Host

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

So I would be in favour of questions being asked, with the proviso that the answer may be 'I don't want to go there'.

Me too.

I've been pondering this this morning, and my thoughts are these: This board, in terms of environment, seems to be a combination of Purgatory and All Saints (with a dash of Hell in terms of anger, not personal attack). So there are intellectual aspects of discussion, but some people have also experienced hurt & betrayal. So we'll have to pick our way through each discussion and each point in terms of the best response.

(I hope that isn't junior hosting, I promise it isn't intended as such, I was just reflecting - in church [Biased] - this morning, on the sorts of discussions I want to have here. In addition, I'll add that I'm very grateful indeed for the addition of this board and the discussions I've read here so far, and I'm grateful to SC & AR for their work.)

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
IngoB, what would you be interested in participating in? What did you expect this board would be?

I had no particular expectations. I read through all the threads ("slow news day" on SoF...), and commented on something that I considered factually inaccurate. It's the sort of thing I enjoy doing.

Frankly, I see little room for engagement here for me otherwise.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
I hope that isn't junior hosting, I promise it isn't intended as such, I was just reflecting - in church [Biased] - this morning, on the sorts of discussions I want to have here.

One purpose of this thread is to work out what the scope and remit of this board should be, so your input is helpful and useful, thank you. That applies to others posting here - this is a new board, and we need to find the right positioning and tone.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

posted by Doublethink

It feels difficult to post on this board unless you also agree, respectful disagreement is needed or you risk just being an echo chamber.

It seems to me that it's partly because of an ambiguity which has been there since the board was first proposed as to whether it is about some thing or for some people.

I felt then that a public board should be about something and for anyone who was interested in that thing. But I didn't say anything as noone else did. However it does seem to me that such a remit allows for setting specific rules about tone and style without leaving some people wondering whether they should be posting at all.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

moonlitdoor, can you say more? Are there some types of discussions that you think would seem to allowed on a board that is about the topic of being Faithfree, but not on a board that is for people who are Faithfree?

To avoid having people wondering if they should be posting at all, what guidelines would help that? Are there things in our current guidelines that are working against people feeling as if they should be posting?

--------------------
Truth

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
(And to be honest, I don't want to be swamped under IngoB's unique posting style here or there... I lurk a lot more than I post these days, and I know whereof I speak!)

Ho hum. [Roll Eyes]

It seems pretty clear then that the main purpose of this board is the mutual affirmation of each other's peculiar lack of faith. Anything posted along those lines is perfectly fine, anything else, not so much. Discussion is limited to support. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. But I'm not particularly interested in participating. So, enjoy yourself.

Sorry IngoB - I was unkind.

I was actually more thinking of your posting style in Purg than of your specific post(s) here. I (and maybe others here) are feeling perhaps a little fragile for purg style debate as a whole, and you are perhaps a key tone-setter in purg these days.

If you look at my post, you'll find that I also said:

quote:
The trouble is finding a way of maintaining it as respectful disagreement and keeping the discussion to a tone which those with doubts find comfortable and helpful. I'd actually like to talk through some of my doubts in that context and would accept some respectful challenges...

The bit in italics could be read as an invitation to engage, if you want to. The rest is a suggestiong that everyone might need to think about how they engage.

Best wishes,

Rachel.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
I was actually more thinking of your posting style in Purg than of your specific post(s) here. I (and maybe others here) are feeling perhaps a little fragile for purg style debate as a whole, and you are perhaps a key tone-setter in purg these days.

Possibly, if only by sheer volume of output...

quote:
The bit in italics could be read as an invitation to engage, if you want to. The rest is a suggestiong that everyone might need to think about how they engage.

I still don't know how to "respectfully challenge" without being suspect of "critiquing". I can obviously tone down the heat, though in my experience there's a lot of mote-and-planking going on with that. For example, you rather freely and dismissively caricatured the beliefs of rather a lot of Christians in your reply. But you apparently thought that this is fair enough, or more likely, you didn't particularly worry what those who hold those beliefs would feel. That's totally fine with me. But my point is that in order to really minimise the impact of me expressing my opinion, I have to consciously filter any hint of such superficial and negative engagement with the opinions of other out of my writings. And that actually is a lot of work, since the default mode of my - and I would argue everybody's - writing is actually the sort of thing we see in your post.

But even if I did go through all that effort, it remains the case that "respect" is not an objective quantity. It is a shifting and negotiated standard of behaviour that depends on the people involved. I may be able to correctly guess what "the famous rachel"would consider a respectful challenge. But that does not mean that the next Shipmate over agrees, and they also read that post. For the most part, on SoF, people will let you get away with a crap ton of bullshit if you only 1. spike your opinions with lots of "seems", "appears", "maybe", "possibly", "in my opinion" etc., no matter how strongly you hold them and indeed how forcefully you put them otherwise; and 2. if you re-phrase your strongest assertions as pseudo-questions. So I probably could sneak-ciritique here if I only followed that model. But I think this typical SoF "agreeable discourse" is 1. tedious to read, and 2. fundamentally, either a lie or a delusion of "openness" and "niceness".

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

[Overused]

(There are fleeting moments when I love the idea of you I get from SoF.)

[ 21. December 2014, 23:00: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember a bunch of Orthodoxen and Catholics who got tired of having their beliefs concerning saints questioned every time they wanted to talk about them. Somebody would start a thread about, say, 6th century Marian adoration, and a phalanx of Protestants would challenge them on the perpetual virginity, or the cult of saints in general, etc., and they could never get the original question discussed. Finally they decided to start a new board, which if I'm not mistaken was called Stella Maris, and hosted by IngoB.

It seems to me if people wanted to discuss the logic of disbelief, that can easily be done in Purgatory. But if faithfree people wanted to discuss their experiences of faithfreeness, they might want to do so without being challenged by a bunch of godbotherers at every step. Maybe they should do something like the saintbotherers did and create their own board. HEY PRESTO! They did! Here it is! The current edition of Eighth Day, "Faithfree."

The major difference being that Stella Maris was by-invitation-only, and 8th Day being open to all. But the desire to be able to talk about something without answering pestering questions from "outsiders" seems to me to be exactly the same.

Having been one of the Orthodoxen annoyed by the original problem and one of the charter members of Stella Maris, I want to speak out on behalf of faithfree people to have a "safe place" to discuss things without being challenged by godbotherers. I know how they feel. I want them to have the same thing I wished for all those years ago.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

- Posted      Profile for Potoroo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT: [Overused] and thank you.

--------------------
Gilbert's Potoroo is Australia's most endangered animal.

Posts: 2778 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I would guess that Stella Maris still involved discussion and debate.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So? If that's what the people for whom the board was created wanted, then that's what they can have. If they didn't want that and just wanted to discuss problems with one another, such as Waving Not Drowning, they could do that. Depends on what the "founders" (so to speak) want the board to be.

I'm not at all sure why that's problematic. Or why it's okay to say, "I want to come to YOUR playground, which YOU created in for YOUR own purposes, and do what *I* want to do, and you need to put up with it." What's that shit?

[ 22. December 2014, 00:00: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, firstly, it is a public not private board, secondly it appears that - whilst most people posting have major changes in their beliefs and practices - most users are not faith free, thirdly, and most relevantly to my original host call query, hosting seems to moved a little beyond the original brief in the OP.

This makes it difficult to judge what is and is not acceptable. That and my original understanding of the 8D project was that the boards would be purg rules + modifications specific to the project. Though I could be wrong about that understanding.

So my understanding of the faithfree board had been, focus on the journeys of those who had left their previous faith, no prosyletising, purglike engagement.

That is different from, accept without criticism anything posted on the board.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
That is different from, accept without criticism anything posted on the board.

One doesn't have to accept anything. One could not read it. One could read it and roll one's eyes. One could read it and get so angry one goes home and kicks one's dog. But a no-criticism rule doesn't in the least imply one has to "accept" anything.

If one can't see something one disagrees with without being compelled in some kind of OCD-like manner to respond, one has other problems.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Indeed. But, this is a test board, and therefore how it runs is up for debate. The original brief did not appear to be no criticism, twas no prosyletising.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Admin hat off)

Part of the idea of the "test", though, is that they will be evaluating how the guidelines and policies work in practice. Which means they might need to rephrase or adjust things, according to the specific purpose they want the board to serve.

I'm sure they would appreciate a dram of patience as they do that.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Firstly, "accept without criticism" means accept that this is part of their story, and it may not fit with yours. It is about accepting where people are at. It is about not saying "that is not Christian" if they consider that it is.

Secondly, if someone invited critique of their position explicitly, than it is fine to respond to that. It is that the default position is that people are working out where they sit, and in many cases have already had all sorts of people tell than that they are failures, un-Christian, hell-bound or whatever. We on this board don't need to continue that - it is a place for listening and engaging rather. I think we are all aware that some people think we are lost souls.

Thirdly - actually, I did think The Famous Rachaels response was rather strong, but we were, at that point, discussing what to do, and all I could have done was re-iterate what I had said, I left it. She has apologised.

Posting as a shipmate, trying to work out how to make this happen.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

Possibly, if only by sheer volume of output...

quote:

I still don't know how to "respectfully challenge" without being suspect of "critiquing". I can obviously tone down the heat, though in my experience there's a lot of mote-and-planking going on with that. For example, you rather freely and dismissively caricatured the beliefs of rather a lot of Christians in your reply. But you apparently thought that this is fair enough, or more likely, you didn't particularly worry what those who hold those beliefs would feel. That's totally fine with me. But my point is that in order to really minimise the impact of me expressing my opinion, I have to consciously filter any hint of such superficial and negative engagement with the opinions of other out of my writings. And that actually is a lot of work, since the default mode of my - and I would argue everybody's - writing is actually the sort of thing we see in your post.

But even if I did go through all that effort, it remains the case that "respect" is not an objective quantity. It is a shifting and negotiated standard of behaviour that depends on the people involved. I may be able to correctly guess what "the famous rachel"would consider a respectful challenge. But that does not mean that the next Shipmate over agrees, and they also read that post. For the most part, on SoF, people will let you get away with a crap ton of bullshit if you only 1. spike your opinions with lots of "seems", "appears", "maybe", "possibly", "in my opinion" etc., no matter how strongly you hold them and indeed how forcefully you put them otherwise; and 2. if you re-phrase your strongest assertions as pseudo-questions. So I probably could sneak-ciritique here if I only followed that model. But I think this typical SoF "agreeable discourse" is 1. tedious to read, and 2. fundamentally, either a lie or a delusion of "openness" and "niceness".

Fair enough... my earlier post also acknowledged that I have "no idea" how to make this work.

Part of the problem also is that different people will come at this board with different ideas of what it's for. I'm quite willing to discuss where the whole faith thing has fallen down for me, and to be challenged on this, but I'm not willing necessarily to do that in Purg, since I would anticipate either being surrounded on all sides by people telling me how wrong I am or being dismissed and ignored, neither of which strikes me as helpful. I'd actually be reasonably willing to discuss under Purg rules here, if the balance of people hanging out here continued not to be dominated by those who are very sure and comfortable in their beliefs. I'd appreciate a tone which lent towards "I see where you are coming from, but have you considered..." rather than "You are clearly wrong because...". (All that said, I have very little time available to hang out here at all, and will have even less over the coming festive period).

But that's where I'm at. That may not be where anyone else is at, and my impression is that there are a lot of people round here feeling a lot more hurt and angry than me. Hence, what I might be interested in or enjoy is in no way the most important question.

One possibility, I guess, although I suspect it would go against the SoF ethos, would be to allow the original poster of a thread to say: "OK, here is some stuff that I think - and I am willing to be challenged on it. This is thus a thread where challenges and critiques may happen. If you want to critique me, come on in. If you'd rather avoid joining a discussion where criticism is flying, please don't join in this particular discussion."

If this is an allowable thing to do, I could (for example) repost what I said about the "toddler God" on the straws that broke the camel's back thread, and you could have at it. I'm interested, by the way that you think that what I put in that post is "a dismissive caricature". It's actually a very accurate picture of how I see conservative evangelical Christianity, specifically. I didn't tone it down, I admit, but I also didn't ramp it up for effect. In fact, reading it back, I am surprised I described it as "a bit of a parody". The tone is sarcastic, but I am telling the truth as I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat Thirdly - actually, I did think The Famous Rachaels response was rather strong, but we were, at that point, discussing what to do, and all I could have done was re-iterate what I had said, I left it. She has apologised.
In the interests of accuracy: I have apologised to IngoB for dissing his posting style. That was inappropriate and wrong of me. I have not apologised for the "toddler God" post. If I'm not allowed to speak strongly about my reasons for stepping away from a particular theology here, then I am not sure what this board is for! The one thing I would see myself as needing to apologise for would be continuing that discussion if IngoB's original critique had been ruled out of court, but I don't think that was the case. If I am wrong, please do let me know.

Sorry all - I think I may have a different picture in my head of this board than everyone else. I shall keep playing (as time allows) for now though, until someone tells me to stop!

Best wishes,

Rachel.

PS... fire alarm here - no time to check post - sorry for errors...

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AIUI, it was discussion and debate based on an agreed set of premises, without having to constantly defend those premises against others who did not agree with them, which prevented more interesting discussion from happening.

It may not be as easy to agree a set of Faithfree premises as for saintbotherers (thank you MT), but should not be impossible for people of goodwill.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

quote:

But that's where I'm at. That may not be where anyone else is at, and my impression is that there are a lot of people round here feeling a lot more hurt and angry than me. Hence, what I might be interested in or enjoy is in no way the most important question.

PS... fire alarm here - no time to check post - sorry for errors...

Sorry - lack of time to edit as I raced off for fire alarm means I realsied this bit misses the point:

What I was meaning to say in the paragraph above is that the range of different needs of different posters here, which IngoB's post also acknowledges, may mean that shutting down any "respectful disagreement" is the best option for the majority of the "faithfree". I'd be less inclined to engage myself, but I am in the minority I suspect.

R.

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd appreciate a tone which lent towards "I see where you are coming from, but have you considered..." rather than "You are clearly wrong because...".

Given what IngoB said above about many of the words used in SofF, I think his "You are clearly wrong because" is the equivalent to lots of other people's "I see where you are coming from, but have you considered..."

At least, that's how I intend to interpret him from here on.

And yes I'm up for challenges and reasonably strong debate too. I'm off to look up the toddler God bit now.

the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

quote:
Given what IngoB said above about many of the words used in SofF, I think his "You are clearly wrong because" is the equivalent to lots of other people's "I see where you are coming from, but have you considered..."

You may be right. He said that "this typical SoF "agreeable discourse" is 1. tedious to read, and 2. fundamentally, either a lie or a delusion of "openness" and "niceness"", but I am pretty sure it is possible to be courteous and gentle with people who need it, without being a deluded liar!

Rachel.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
And yes I'm up for challenges and reasonably strong debate too. I'm off to look up the toddler God bit now.

The thing is, for some people that is OK, and there is no problem with debate if you specifically ask for it.

The default position though, is more respectful, because some here are sick of other Christians telling them how to do things properly, why they are wrong, what there problems are. This is a place where they can explore those matters without someone saying "Oh, but you are wrong".

In the straws thread, many of the issues are simply one final straw - not enough to be an issue on its own, but along with everything else, the final breaking point. I know that I stayed for a long time, because there was nothing that was so much of an issue that I couldn't ignore it for a while. Until there was. That in itself was minor, but with everything else, for me, was a breaking point.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Yes I definitely understand that. I should have been clearer - I meant I'm very happy for the robust challenges to be aimed my way specifically. Open season on Jemima! I don't mind.

Sadly, I know exactly what you're getting at in terms of being told exactly where I'm going wrong, and what I therefore need to do, or where I'm not a proper Christian etc.

Rachel - that's a good point. I do aim on the side of gentle, the result of which may be the fluffiest of bunnikins after a turn in the spin drier on occasion. And that probably is tedious to those who wish for a more robust back-and-forth. But yes, courtesy doesn't mean dishonesty.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

The thing is, for some people that is OK, and there is no problem with debate if you specifically ask for it.

The default position though, is more respectful, because some here are sick of other Christians telling them how to do things properly, why they are wrong, what there problems are. This is a place where they can explore those matters without someone saying "Oh, but you are wrong".

In the straws thread, many of the issues are simply one final straw - not enough to be an issue on its own, but along with everything else, the final breaking point. I know that I stayed for a long time, because there was nothing that was so much of an issue that I couldn't ignore it for a while. Until there was. That in itself was minor, but with everything else, for me, was a breaking point.

Could you not cover that with - no prosyletisng and no statements of moral condemnation. (Though I would have thought, you are not a real Christian or you will burn in hell would be covered by commandments 3 & 4 anyway.)

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I don't understand the relevance of the public vs. private board distinction in connection with Eighth Day. Obviously it's a public board, and anyone may post. But not everything is germane or permissible to the ethos of the board. (Granted, we're in the midst of trying to clarify the ethos of the board, and work out if we need some course corrections.) But saying that some things are not for this board is not the same as saying some people may not post here.

Each public board on the Ship has its ethos, and has things that aren't up for discussion there. For example, Heaven is about light-hearted posting, and anyone can post there, but it's not about debating the value or correctness of someone's enjoyment of light-hearted posting. Ecclesiantics is for posting about worship practices, and anyone can post there (even if it's mostly a tat-heavy population), but it's not about debating someone's choice of worship practices in terms of the largescale structure; although it can be about asking questions about why people do things a certain way -- for information, rather than debate, and certainly it's often about clarification on how, within a largescale structure, one might best do something. At least, that's how I experience those two boards, as an example.

I didn't think of Eighth Day boards as necessarily Purg-style debate plus something extra (and what is that extra? simply a limitation of topic?) -- surely if one wants Purg-style debate on poetry, or prayer, or silence, or changing one's original religious affiliation, one can start a thread in Purg. It seems to me that it's partly because Purg-style debate isn't the answer for various topics that they are being proposed as Eighth Day boards.

I don't think I posted on the Poetry Eighth Day board at all, because fascinated as I was by the topic and all the posts, I couldn't muster that kind of creativity. Does that mean the Poetry board was a kind of private board rather than a public board, because it was only accessible to people with a certain kind of creativity? I don't think so.

For Faithfree, it seems to me that there are topics that people have not felt they can raise on either Purgatory and All Saints, and so I think of this board as a little different than both of them in terms of how it operates. Perhaps due to the dynamic that mousethief has talked about in his posts; perhaps for other reasons. Perhaps in the course of this Eighth Day experiment people will come to find ways in which they can raise these topics on the existing boards, after the experiment is over. But I see the experiment as being creating a place for the duration of the run where people find a place to post about these kinds of concerns that they haven't felt fit anywhere else.

--------------------
Truth

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Really, Christians bitching that they can't beat up atheists or their arguments is just so much fucking privilege.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Really, I don't think that is what has been happening here.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my experience on the Ship, in Purgatory two things drown out a conversation about different ways of believing: the Christians talking about the "proper" way to believe and the militant atheists ridiculing any expression of faith and/or congratulating the poster for being "sensible enough" to stop believing. The only threads that have continued for any length of time with that theme have been in All Saints, where discussion is discouraged, support encouraged.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016