homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Have you found other ways?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Have you found other ways?
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night, reading one of the threads I hastily downloaded from Oblivion 2010, I came across a discussion by names now appearing here in 8th day, saying then the same things they are saying now. Me included.

2010 to 2015 is 5 years, a long time to be stuck in the same "uncomfortably on the fringe of faith (or of faith community)" position.

I'm thinking (for me anyway) it's time to get out of this rut. The question I've been asking myself for 2015 is "what are some wholly other ways to pursue relationship with God and people and the community if I get church out of my life?"

Have any of you tried looking into other (non-church) kinds of faith expression, or other concepts of who God is (broader or differently focused or even quite other than what the churches teach), or other ways of pursuing whatever it is semi-attracts you to religion (ritual, search for the meaning of life, sense of being totally loved, assurance it all works out somehow, moral guidance, other)?

I have said for a decade "church doesn't work for me." I need to change, start actively looking for whole different ways to explore. Have you tried anything else, if so with what effect?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go to my home group still. I like to go to Serum, a discussion group (although this will probably cease as I will not be able to get there). I like Greenbelt, and I like the ship and other online places to engage with and challenge me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortunately I found a left-field church community (which I'm sure a lot of Shipmates would have nothing but derision for; scrub that; did have a lot of derision for when it was in the media) where I can feel more at home and explore what is of value in the mess of stuff that I used to believe, don't know if I still believe

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm short of time or energy for the finding of other ways, but I can imagine what I might find useful - which could currently be something more along the lines of a discussion group or a book group than an actual church. A friend and I postulated what we might want from such a group a few years ago, whist I was still more in the fold, and I also had more time... I think we thought that an ordained minister to provide some oversight in the background would be a good thing, cake and coffee would be even better and that members of the potential group might lead discussions on wide-raninging but Christianity-realted topics not strictly taking turns but depending on their interests and abilities.

I expect it exists somewhere...

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
...did have a lot of derision for...

I deride the derision.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we moved to a new town it was recommended that we visit the Unitarian Church - not necessarily for religious reasons, but because that was where the most interest people were, and it would be a good place to meet new friends. They have lots of social activities and discussion groups that don't require membership.

(No, we haven't checked it out yet.)

One way that I've connected with people and the community over the years is by doing volunteer work, especially something that requires physical activity rather than supervised sitting. My favorites have been a Search and Rescue team and a costumed docent at an old California mission. But then, I've worked in computers most of my career, and felt I always needed to do something else as well to maintain some grasp of reality...

From my perspective, what I would call "God" is all around me, and a part of me and everything else. So anything I do involves "God". While you may have a different understanding of "God", the practice / habit of seeing Her everywhere and in everything (to whatever extent it works for you) may help you to feel more connected and "in tune" without attending church.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016