homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » On whose authority ?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: On whose authority ?
DOEPUBLIC
Shipmate
# 13042

- Posted      Profile for DOEPUBLIC   Email DOEPUBLIC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I write this as myself, as the author of my words, but at which point can I take it as accepted that authority can come from 'above'?
Where 'above' is open to definition and authority itself?

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you decide.

Authority has two very different, even opposite, meanings. One is really about power. Someone else who can impose their will. You obey because if you don't they'll call on their armies to arrest you.

The other has to do with recognition from the bottom, recognition of an expert. Someone has devoted years to studying something, or has useful experience, you choose to seek guidance from them, they have no army to force you to agree with them. An authority in the poetry of Emily Dickenson, or in ecological farming techniques.

If you think God calls out the armies to punish anyone who disobeys, that's the imposed authority via political power model. Threats of hell are used to try to convince people of this model of God. Maybe those threats worked once, they don't seem to affect the behavior of many people today.

But if God is a teacher, a guide, someone with better understanding than we have of how to live and how it all fits together, a person may choose to turn to God as an authority, someone to learn from, there's no coercion to obey and no punishing someone who chooses to leave.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DOEPUBLIC:

I think when someone else accepts the same definition.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a very relevant question for me. I came to like the Zen quote, 'no guru, no church, no dependency'. But the last bit is probably impractical, since I am dependent on tons of people, and tons of ideas. And maybe I exaggerate non-dependency as a kind of defence.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
DOEPUBLIC
Shipmate
# 13042

- Posted      Profile for DOEPUBLIC   Email DOEPUBLIC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

That presumably arises when your words have met with an appropriate response.
DOEPUBLIC
Shipmate
# 13042

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

That presumably arises when your words have met with an appropriate response.
What if no response is received ? Do you question the authority ?

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016