homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Famous BBC RSS Feed Headlines! (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  24  25  26 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Famous BBC RSS Feed Headlines!
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Israel disciplines top officers on white phosphorus

They're topping officers now? And do they use the disciplines to do it, or the white phosphorus?

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shackleton's whisky recovered from South Pole ice

Nothing odd or ambiguous about this headline, I just wanted to say 'On the rocks?'!

--------------------

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mobility scooter river fall death

BBC News headline verb usage lack

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Residents to grill council leader

BBQ season's early this year

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rajm
Shipmate
# 5434

- Posted      Profile for rajm   Author's homepage   Email rajm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit late now - the Winter Olympics are over:

Canada looks to cement medal lead

I think lead comes after bronze and before cement?

Posts: 131 | From: Cheshire | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four in court over expense claims

The Enid Blyton saga updated and continued.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Mobile application sales explode

Let's hope nobody gets hurt! [Eek!]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Man assaulted officer with penis

That would be a male officer then.

Osborne calls for 'fire in belly'

Shadow chancellor discloses Tory welfare plans

[edited to add send line]

[ 17. March 2010, 12:36: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not an RSS feed, but general news:

A ransom of £110,000 was paid to free the five-year-old from Oldham.

My god, is Oldham really that bad?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In similar vein a classic from the Oxford Mail website - no doubt someone has their eyes on a pullet surprise:

Square shape set to change

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

# 582

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Not an RSS feed, but general news:

A ransom of £110,000 was paid to free the five-year-old from Oldham.

My god, is Oldham really that bad?

[Killing me]

--------------------

marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat startling headline in today's Globe and Mail:

Anglicans accept Pope's invitation to join Catholic church

(referring, it turns out, to the 2000-member-strong "Anglican Catholic Church of Canada")

Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pirates gather for world record bid

And the Digital Rights Management people will be after them.

--------------------
Ann

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From BBC News Yorkshire, and with a little bend(y-bus):

quote:
The decision means commuters in Leeds could be travelling into the city centre on a network of electrically-powered buses within six years.
Wouldn't it be considerably quicker if people simply walked there? Those buses seem awfully slow! Is it due to the wrong kind of pollen on the overhead lines?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Wesley has bent the rules, I can bend them too for once:

If Israel is implicated in the murder of Mr al-Mabhouh, it won't be the first time.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither BBC, nor a headline, but just look at the journalist's name...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7065824.ece

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Pupil voice 'being manipulated'

Teachers use new electronic gadgets to humilate recalcitrant kids. [Snigger]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Ok, this one fooled me:

Jordan fooled by 1 April 'aliens'

I quite naturally thought this was about Jordan-the-glamour-model. Wouldn't have been a surprise really. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the BBC, but the Associated Press:

3 charged in Mass. bullying to skip arraignment

Skipping the greeting of pewmates at the beginning of mass I can see, or skipping the holding of hands during the Lord's Prayer -- but skipping the arraignment? Unthinkable!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Just in:

BREAKING NEWS: The Duchess of Cornwall has broken her left leg while hillwalking in Scotland

Quite.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ice mission turns on instrument

So the mission makes the instrument hot? Or the mission depends on the successful operation of the instrument? Or the mission has finally switched the damned thing on?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Ice mission turns on instrument

So the mission makes the instrument hot? Or the mission depends on the successful operation of the instrument? Or the mission has finally switched the damned thing on?

Maybe the ice mission has heard too much of the instrument and attacked it. I have felt like that about bagpipes and banjos.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

'Neglect' boy council criticised

Only elect grown-ups then.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

From the "No Shit Sherlock" files.

Sun activity link to cold winters

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ann

Curious
# 94

Firm fined over recycling death

For when you feel like death warmed over.

--------------------
Ann

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Stranger murderer jailed for life

While less strange murderer gets 5 years.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Boycott threatens Sats test chaos

Not by hard hitting or fast scoring though.

(note: cricket reference to one Geoffrey Boycott was a famously resolute batsman)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Nolan sister gets breast cancer

'Gets'? As in, 'It's a gift, here you go!' [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Esmeralda

# 582

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Nolan sister gets breast cancer

'Gets'? As in, 'It's a gift, here you go!' [Roll Eyes]

No, it means she's just understood the point of it. Seriously, wishing her well...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Prostitute users face clampdown

- but some of them will like it.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Greece fears batter markets again

Have you seen a batter market? They are terrifying! All that material for pancakes, Yorkshire pudding and Toad in the Hole [Eek!]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Bullock adopts child and divorces

It's a bovine life.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lorry Fires Dirsupts M1 traffic

Surely that should be "Lorry fires dirsupt M1 traffic"?

(Seriously, what are they on? Screenshot here in case they change it).

[ 01. May 2010, 20:54: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New York police defuse 'car bomb'

It turns out to be an alarm clock lying on a bag of hot dogs.

(Interestingly-written story. The first couple of paragraphs are written to make it sound like the reporter doesn't believe it really happened -- the police say this, and claim that. Or that evidence will be presented in later paragraphs that it didn't really happen. But then it never does, and later paragraphs are written matter-of-factly without the fudging. Odd.)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Disabled rail cash cut criticised

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Test hope in painful bone disease

I suppose that's a good way to test it.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Two submarines sailed with a safety defect that posed a radioactive leak risk, says a leaked memo

Once a leak, always a leak.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

VE Day 65th anniversary: Prince leads tributes

With a K-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-kiss. Party like it's nineteen forty-five!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Net approaches addressing limit

Those onramps / slip roads to the information superhighway are doing a fine job fixing that limit.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Foreign Office says the British Embassy will close on Friday due to the ongoing security situation

But which embassy? All of them?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Heavy rock singer Dio dies at 67

Not clear. What's 67? His address? A club? A, ehem, sauna of some kind? And did he die because he was heavy? Was he a friend of Obese Osbourne?

--------------------

Esmeralda

# 582

Australia expels Israeli diplomat

It's amazing what colonic irrigation can do.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

On BBC Website

Greek probe over missing kidney

To follow: Where have the lamb chops and stuffed vine leaves gone?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

I know this is sordid subject matter, but the headline was just too wrong to escape this thread:

Bradford murders accused in court

(I see they've finally fixed the "dirsupts" in my last post, but I have the screenshot to prove it [Devil] )

[ 28. May 2010, 15:16: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Trains suspended over India crash

The sword of Damocles...

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ex-Spice Girls boss eyes Idol bid

I idolize those eyes.

--------------------

Esmeralda

# 582

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Ex-Spice Girls boss eyes Idol bid

I idolize those eyes.

Surely this means that ex-Spice Girls are boss-eyed?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Bilingual brain affects research

So, don't ya dare and speak more than language, or we'll kick you out of uni?

In fact, the report is from January 2010, entitled 'Research to find effects on brain of bilingualism', but is shown now in the 'most shared' list. - Some people need to learn the difference between 'affect' and 'effect'. Especially those on the BBC News site. Who appear to speak fewer than one language. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Laws could be back - Duncan Smith

New Tory 'self-regulating society' policy to be scrapped?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

US base killings suspect in court

They were going to base him at Fort Meyers but the court had better facilities.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  24  25  26 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016