homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Famous BBC RSS Feed Headlines! (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Famous BBC RSS Feed Headlines!
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Day-Lewis makes Oscars history

Phew. Presumably that means we'll never have to put up with them again?

[Killing me] Not a bad idea at all, Eutychus!

Catholic church faces 'grave crisis'

Try cremation?

[ 26. February 2013, 17:43: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Medical students job offers withdrawn after exam marking error

'nuff said [Mad]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fall in Festive Knife Crime Hailed

Sadly, gloomy knife crime rates remain unchanged.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Annual shark kills 'hit 100 million'

WHAT!?? Let's rip, and rid humanity of them murderous beasts! Good grief! This just can't go on!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, this wasn't an RSS feed, but rather a link a friend posted on facebook. However, when I read this headline:

West Michigan producer recalls 6,600 pounds of ham

my first thought, honestly, was of a record or video producer having memories of quite a lot of non-kosher meat!

Why I read "ham" literally (and correctly) when I read "producer" and "recalls" incorrectly, I don't know - maybe because a "ham" weighing 6,600 pounds would be well beyond the Guinness record book. And really, you wouldn't have to recall such a guy; you'd simply never forget him.

A bit of caffeine and I should be alright...

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a related subject, this from the BBC website:

Bacon crime drama gets second season

"This season: Who left the mysterious note reading 'Some Pig'?"

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Strange BBC headlines next to each other this morning:

Breath test 'spots stomach cancer'

Cregan 'put grenade in man's mouth'

Possibly to prevent him having a breath test? [Eek!]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five questioned over missing student

It's been a while since we've had an Enid Blyton one...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Five questioned over missing student

It's been a while since we've had an Enid Blyton one...

I thought it meant this Five.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Tesco buys Giraffe restaurants

Horse meat is the new giraffe meat?

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Tesco buys Giraffe restaurants

Horse meat is the new giraffe meat?

How many restaurants does one Giraffe need?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The front page headline of the April issue of the CofE's In Review :

quote:
Twenty year high for young priests
I'll have a bit of whatever's in that thurible.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Sky News mobile news headlines this afternoon:

"Bus Driver Has Close Shave With Huge Pole."

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
On the Sky News mobile news headlines this afternoon:

"Bus Driver Has Close Shave With Huge Pole."

Never tried a razor, has he?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the beauty of that headline. There are so many possible interpretations. When I first saw it, I thought it referred to a huge Polish person. Not sure why it'd make headline news that the two of them would be shaving in unison, but maybe it was a slow news day.
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kidney sacked as Ireland coach.

Liver expected to take over.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

UK and Jordan sign Abu Qatada treaty

As long as Jordan makes him wear pink, I'm all for it. Who knows, she might even get him to sing...! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
UK and Jordan sign Abu Qatada treaty

As long as Jordan makes him wear pink, I'm all for it. Who knows, she might even get him to sing...! [Big Grin]

Congratulations, I think you may have found the only SFW page with pictures of Ms. Price on the entire Internet.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

"Obama tickles audience at banquet."
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
File under "I know what they meant, but...":

quote:
Storey targets return after birth
You mean she* was competing before she was born? [Eek!] These child prodigies are getting younger and younger...

---

*'She' being Sarah Storey, Great British cyclist

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Benefits of sun 'may outweigh risks'

Well yes. A little light and warmth seems useful.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Hunt after wall collapses near hotel

Some people take every opportunity to go and kill critters. Haresy!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Head 'spent £7k on own party'

Caught foot in the mouth. Not 'armless at all.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheese-rolling warnings ignored

If you're not careful it rolls right off your plate. The Health & Safety Executive advises cheese be firmly secured to a piece of toast.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Palace 'on a hiding to nothing'

Have the Anti-Royalists finally won?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Bank lending continues to shrink

At least a member of the medical profession still gets some bank cash.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Universities face challenges ahead

Hardly news. University Challenge* has been going for at least fifty years.

*TV quiz show

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Daily Mail in payout to psychic

They obviously didn't see that coming.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Teenager Edmund among beaten Brits

BBC reports from Narnia on younger brother's failure to oust High King Peter.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Root in line for Ashes opening spot

"Form an orderly queue there!"

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Buddhist monks protest against Time

"...declare their support for Space."

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

This one isn't funny, but it deserves mention for its sheer failure to convey meaning:

Stabbed boy police find woman's body

And, no, it isn't missing a comma.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How would the addition of a comma clarify whatever meaning it was meant to convey?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

From the Torygraph:

Chinese girls found dead after starving to death

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
How would the addition of a comma clarify whatever meaning it was meant to convey?

If it was "Stabbed boy, police find woman's body" I might have believed that a wounded boy and the police together found the body with the comma taking the place of the word "and." I have seen headlines use that sort of shorthand before even if it is not grammatically proper.

In this particular case, however, that was not the meaning they were trying to convey anyway, so that is why I said that it was not missing a comma.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
If it was "Stabbed boy, police find woman's body" I might have believed that a wounded boy and the police together found the body.

I think I'd prefer "Stabbed, boy police find woman's body", meaning that a juvenile peace officer, having been wounded by a knife, went on to discover the woman's body.

Or even "Stabbed? Boy! Police find woman's body", meaning that police found a woman's body -- and had she been stabbed? Oh, boy, I'll say she had!

Such fodder could probably engender a thread all its own.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Here's the link from the BBC.

I don't think any amount of punctuation helps. "Police investigating stabbed boy find woman's body" is as succinct as I can make it, but that adds a whole word. No chance of me ever making sub-editor.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

I don't think any amount of punctuation helps. "Police investigating stabbed boy find woman's body" is as succinct as I can make it, but that adds a whole word. No chance of me ever making sub-editor.

"Woman's body found by stabbed boy cops" is a bit clearer than the original, but better, I think, is something like

Stabbed boy: Police find woman's body

or even Stabbed boy: Woman's body found - the fact that the body was found by the police is a trivial detail.

[ 02. July 2013, 21:37: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Concern over part-time student fall

Hope they landed OK.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

matthew_dixon
Shipmate
# 12278

- Posted      Profile for matthew_dixon   Author's homepage   Email matthew_dixon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grant among top bookings at reading festival

Yes, this is actually a festival of books and reading at Trafalgar Square, and is NOT as I first thought Hugh Grant headlining the annual rock music event the Reading Festival!

Posts: 321 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Warning over reading ages in Army

What!? No clue. Link here.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Warning over reading ages in Army

What!? No clue. Link here.

I think it must be reading about 18 hours a day, and sleeping the rest of the time, which rankles the Army Officers.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Lost ring found on Barrier Reef

Preciousssssssss...

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Duchess taken to hospital in labour

A good decision to join them. Much better than the Tory party. I think the populace will love her for this.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Woman takes horse into McDonald's

Bring your own burgers?

--------------------

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just after noon today in the UK, the BBC RSS had

Duchess taken to hospital in Labour

Baby's ethnicity 'hard to determine'

Well, that'll get some tongues wagging won't it!

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cameron unveils online porn curbs - am I the only one who had to re-read that to make sure it didn't say "clubs"?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Cameron unveils online porn curbs - am I the only one who had to re-read that to make sure it didn't say "clubs"?

I was too busy trying to figure out why anyone would be arranging for curb service if it is online.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

German poster campaign to find Nazis

A bit late, perhaps. Not a big problem 70 or 80 years ago. - Or are they perhaps recruiting new ones?!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Australia asylum shift 'troubling'

"I have to work at the asylum from 3:15 to 11:20? That's crazy!"

-or-

"You know, I think I want that 'troubling' to be about a foot more to the right..."

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016