homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » NFL: The only reason to go to NJ in February (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: NFL: The only reason to go to NJ in February
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note with much satisfaction Tim is now a Patriot (learning from Bill Belicheck AND Tom Brady [Overused] and earning his money as he goes - no guarantees), having not compromised his stance on playing quarterback. This young man is admirable in so many ways...

anyway, it is likely other things will happen in the league this year and here is a chance to comment.

TIA.

[Edited to make change to thread title.]

[ 02. January 2014, 10:18: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
This young man is admirable in so many ways...

Indeed, all he does is win.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, maybe it's time to rename the thread. If he can't find work (and that's still a big if, as the Bills are starting an undrafted rookie on Sunday as of this moment) I'd anticipate a bidding war between ESPN and the new Fox Sports network for his services as a College Football analyst- slight edge to ESPN as the home of the SEC.

Now then, it's prediction time.

AFC East: Patriots
AFC North: Ravens
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Broncos
AFC Wild Card: Bengals, Chiefs

AFC Champion: Broncos (biased pick alert!)

NFC East: Redskins, provided RG3's legs remain attached.
NFC North: Packers
NFC South: Falcons
NFC West: 49ers
NFC Wildcard: Seahawks, Giants

NFC Champion: Seahawks.

Yea, I just want to have an all-AFC West of my childhood Superbowl.

Anyone willing to be more daring than me? Any takers on the Eagles attempts to use a college attack in the NFL?

And while we are at it, what game time snack are you most looking forward to? My wife has chicken wings down to an art, slowly grilled to perfection and dipped in just enough butter and Frank's Red Hot infused sauce to get your fingers nice and messy.

(Edited to add a missed apostrophe, and for some reason I decided to keep the Chiefs in my playoff picks- whoo boy.)

[ 03. September 2013, 21:59: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate to be a pedant, since I don't really follow football, but didn't Tebow get cut from the Pats?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I hate to be a pedant, since I don't really follow football, but didn't Tebow get cut from the Pats?

Yes.

That would be the origin of the "if he can't find work..." speculation in the post above yours.

People who actually pay some attention to NFL have told me he's a fair bit better than many other quarterbacks in the NFL, but he's simply unfortunate that the other two at the Patriots are both better than him. I suppose it's a bit like being the 5th best runner in a relay team, it won't matter how much better you are than all the other teams.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Hmmm, maybe it's time to rename the thread.

How about "watching paint dry" maybe? With three months between posts this is a fair debunking of any American claims about cricket being boring [Big Grin]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not going to make any predictions. I'll just be happy to see my Giants in the Playoffs!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
People who actually pay some attention to NFL have told me he's a fair bit better than many other quarterbacks in the NFL, but he's simply unfortunate that the other two at the Patriots are both better than him. I suppose it's a bit like being the 5th best runner in a relay team, it won't matter how much better you are than all the other teams.

There is no doubt that Tebow was one of the greatest college players of all time. He probably fits more into the mold of some of the great Nebraska QBs that I grew up hating, who ran a triple option attack (QB can either run the ball or pitch off to a fullback or running back) that no one could stop. None of them did much in the NFL, despite a few of them playing four years in college and losing so few games that you can count them on one hand. The style works in college because you probably only have two or three guys of the 11 on the defense who are pro quality players. There is less speed, less discipline, less ability to read the play, and they don't hit as hard.

Gimmick offenses work for a short time in the NFL, but teams are usually fast enough and smart enough to figure them out. Based on his time with the Broncos, to win with Tebow you need a defense who keeps you in games late when you are going 3 and out on possession after possession, and you have to hope that he doesn't get injured. 16 games of running for your life doesn't do much for your longevity. And that was just half a season- there is no telling what would have happened once teams started seeing more tape of him.

The guy works hard, believes in himself, is an overall good person as far as I can tell, and I know that he will be successful in some field. But based on what works in the NFL year in and year out (ability to read the defense, and make quick and accurate passes), he probably ranks below many starters who play for bad teams and who would not be considered "elite" quarterbacks, to use the term preferred by ESPN. Getting cut by the Patriots was one thing. Getting cut by the Jets, who have an abysmal quarterback situation, is more telling.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tebow needs to try to catch on at a different position than QB. Unless he wants to play in the Arena league.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:
Hmmm, maybe it's time to rename the thread.

How about "watching paint dry" maybe? With three months between posts this is a fair debunking of any American claims about cricket being boring [Big Grin]
Or, you know, a reflection of the fact that football season just started last week, so there hasn't been much too discuss for the last three months.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I was obviously happy with the Broncos' start, but I am a little amused to think that down the line that game will be remembered as a Peyton Manning record setting performance rather than a farcically sloppy opening game. Between Baltimore's Jones' own man running into him and causing him to sprain a knee on one punt, Welker's fumble of a second end-zone bound punt, a third punt being blocked (how often does that happen in the pros?), Harbaugh's failure to challenge on an obvious incomplete pass, and Danny Trevathan's pick-6-turned dumbest play of the season, I was a little alarmed. Do they make pro football players do sprints for those kind of plays, or is that too demeaning to a pro who is angry enough at himself? The Broncos will need to find a pass rush in Miller's absence over the next few games. It got better toward the end, but they were playing against a backup rookie blind-side tackle and a QB with limited options.

Oh well, they still covered the spread. (I'm not a gambler, but the Queen of Bashan talked me into a joint entry in a pool run by some old co-workers she wants to keep in contact with. We couldn't be more of a Bud Light commercial in our game picking sessions if we tried- I am convinced that I am smart enough to find the obscure statistic that will be the game changer, she wants to bet on the Eagles because her best friend is from Philly.)

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Sunday is the London-based NFL game: the 0-3 Minnesota Vikings vs the 0-3 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Any shipmates planning on attending? Is there any talk about it in London circles?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two of my favorite teams, both stinking it up so far this season... [Disappointed]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I'm not convinced that the NFL needs a global audience, but judging by the way they pick the game that goes to London every year, they are dead set against convincing people from outside the States that this game is actually fun and exciting. Then again, if you sent the Broncos and the Patriots to London, they might get a good game, but you would have a very pissed off set of season ticket holders in either Denver or Boston. The fans in Minnesota probably won't mind having an extra Sunday afternoon to work in the garage this season.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not the most knowledgeable of audience but I enjoyed the Vikings against Steelers game on television. It was the closest match so far of those that have been played here. I was supporting Minnesota so delighted when they sacked Roethlisberger to prevent the tying score. I am always a bit mystified how come when there is very little time left, the team that is behind so often seems to gain yards really easily.

I have always had a soft spot for Matt Cassel so was pleased he did a decent job in his first game as replacement.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Glad that you got a good game.

As for the team that is down gaining yards at the end of the game, that is probably the result of the team that is ahead playing a "prevent" defense. The team with the ball needs to get down the field quickly, and wants to stop the clock at the end of every play, so they usually are not going to run the ball. The defense can put the minimum number of players on the line, and then have a bunch of defensive backs about ten yards back. You give up ten yard gains, but make it harder for a receiver to get open deep and break open a big play.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what puzzles me, Og King of Bashan, is that that sort of defence seems very ineffective. The team in possession seems to be able to run plays very quickly, and with short passes can get from their end to the other end in only a minute or so if the defence does not press them.

But I am quite an ill informed observer. We get Sunday night football on free to air tv here ( the others need subscription channels ), and I sometimes record it and watch during the week. The time difference precludes seeing it live.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
what puzzles me, Og King of Bashan, is that that sort of defence seems very ineffective. The team in possession seems to be able to run plays very quickly, and with short passes can get from their end to the other end in only a minute or so if the defence does not press them.

I am also puzzled like you. For example, the Chargers seem to use this kind of defense throughout their matches and it is always torture to watch them give up yards after yards seemingly unable to stop the opposing team. Is it because they are just not good enough to stop the opposing team or is it designed to work this way?

I guess I just don't quite get the finer point of the chess match that is being played out on the field. [Help]

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as you are giving up field goals rather than touchdowns a prevent works very good with a large lead or late in the game. My Pats in the past have often frustrated me by giving up tons of yards only to hold the opposition to field goal attempts while Brady scores touchdowns on our behalf.
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Caissa. Yes, I understand what you're saying. Except, the Chargers were giving up touchdowns. [Waterworks]

Also can anyone tell me what's going on with the Giants? I can see the team doesn't seem to be able to get it together at this point of the season, but I don't understand why.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Apparently the Broncos-Cowboys game was a classic, but I managed to miss the end, thanks to the Blessing of the Animals at my church- the Cowboys had just taken the lead as I pulled in three minutes before choir call. I didn't hear the final score until after the service- I was somewhat convinced throughout that they had lost.

Going to the game next week, as my in-laws are in Rome and can't use their tickets. As I have said in the past, the seats are right behind seats reserved for family and friends of first and second year players, so we usually get to sit behind some folks who are just psyched that their buddy made it to the NFL; that is always half of the fun of the game. They are usually pretty easy to spot, as most people who wear jerseys to the game don't have the name of an offensive lineman on the back.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apparently the Broncos-Cowboys game was a classic

One of the best ever and fortunately I recorded it. As one pundit said: Manning can beat you even if you play, as Romo did, a nearly perfect game.

Kurt Warner (who of course knows as well as anyone) had good advice for Tim recently: go somewhere anywhere where you can get repetitions to strengthen your game.

Although I imagine potential Canadian opponents are cringing thinking about trying to tackle the guy... [Paranoid]

moron
Shipmate
# 206

The Dread Double Post...

just now watching Broncos v. Jaguars and very pleased to note Shannon Sharpe is announcing - an exceptional talent.

And I predict the remaining 1972 Dolphins will be watching the Broncos play with great interest for some time. [Biased]

Plus: how about those Chiefs?

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm not convinced that the NFL needs a global audience, but judging by the way they pick the game that goes to London every year, they are dead set against convincing people from outside the States that this game is actually fun and exciting. Then again, if you sent the Broncos and the Patriots to London, they might get a good game, but you would have a very pissed off set of season ticket holders in either Denver or Boston. The fans in Minnesota probably won't mind having an extra Sunday afternoon to work in the garage this season.

Two games in London this year. The Niners are going to the next one. They are, however, playing the hapless Jags so this isn't necessarily a data point against your hypothesis.

I presume the Jags are "hosting" because this is the last year in Candlestick Park and the home fans would be loath to have one less game on the schedule.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Could be- Shahid Kahn, who owns the Jaguars, recently purchased Fulham F.C., a London-based team in the Premiere League. Although the arrangement probably came about before that sale, he probably had it on his radar, and I presume he would be particularly interested in trying to see if he can use his in on the London sporting scene to create buzz for his NFL team.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's useful information!

It is a Jags "home" game - I could have, of course, looked it up but I heard it on the sports station on Friday.

The Niners are going straight to London from their game today in Tennessee so they should be well-acclimatized by the time game time rolls around. Last year they had two east coast road games in a row and Harbaugh found them a practice space so they didn't need to go back to SF.

Today's game in Tennessee was, unusually, a 4 pm eastern start, so 1 pm (normal start time) Pacific. The Titans might say 'no way!' next time that gets offered, based on the results [Biased] .

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
:bounce:

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whistling in the dark - but after the horrendous start, the Giants have rallied. If we beat Dallas, that's 5-6 and all to play for for the playoffs. A long shot, but then we're used to that.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah well. ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking about teams that are going down the drain... how 'bout those Atlanta Falcons? Oh, it's so embarrassing to be living in Atlanta these days! The hype about the Falcons going to the Super Bowl started much too early this year and I just couldn't understand why everyone was so excited, so early on in the season. After last week's trouncing by the New Orleans Saints, the Falcons are 2-9. Dreadful. And that same week, Atlanta Braves fans were dealt a harsh blow by the news that Cobb County is luring the Atlanta Braves away and building them a new stadium. What's wrong with Turner Field? AND Brian McCann is going off to play for the dreaded Yankees...

I can't wait until I go back to the Seattle area. At least the Seahawks are screwing up majorly! [Mad]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AREN'T screwing up, is what I meant to type!

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

C'mon! C'mon, New England Patriots! Beat the Houston Texans! I can't stand anything that comes from Texas.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

There are very few places that I disdain enough to justify rooting for a Boston based team, especially the Patriots.

We had our Advent lessons and carols last night, perfectly timed to coincide with the fourth quarter of the Bronco game. We are usually pretty good about turning off all electrical devices in the choir, but this time, both the Dec and Can sides had a self-appointed score watcher risking the wrath of the choirmaster (he's a baseball fan).

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
There are very few places that I disdain enough to justify rooting for a Boston based team, especially the Patriots.

We had our Advent lessons and carols last night, perfectly timed to coincide with the fourth quarter of the Bronco game. We are usually pretty good about turning off all electrical devices in the choir, but this time, both the Dec and Can sides had a self-appointed score watcher risking the wrath of the choirmaster (he's a baseball fan).

Oooo, I remember when I lived in the Washington, D.C area. We looooved to hate on the Denver Broncos!

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

The Queen of Bashan and I thoroughly enjoyed the Philly-Detroit snow game yesterday. There were at least eight inches of snow on the field, it was impossible to kick a point after (Detroit even called a time out to clear a path for the kicker and a spot for the ball and it still got blocked), and every punt return was one slip away from being broken for a touchdown. At at least one point, the referee had to stop the game because he couldn't see the goal line. It was a good throwback to the days when we would use the extra padding on the ground provided by snow to play tackle rather than touch football in the school yard.

--------------------

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

My Pats manufactured another win out of thin air.
I can't see them going far in the playoffs with the inability to play more than half a game at a time.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

It says a lot about the Pats, though, that they can find themselves down at halftime and make the adjustments to turn it around. Losing Gronk is not going to help, though.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
My Pats manufactured another win out of thin air.
I can't see them going far in the playoffs with the inability to play more than half a game at a time.

The refs certainly did their part to help.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Going into the last day of the regular season, a few thoughts and predictions:

I'd call Sundays game against the Raiders a must-win for the Broncos, as I don't see the Patriots losing to Buffalo. (Naturally, I don't see the Broncos losing to Oakland either- that would be a truly odd result.)

As for the final team in the AFC wild card, I'm rooting for not Baltimore and not San Diego. Both of those teams look like the classic team that could win on the road in the wild card round and then have a good shot at sending the Broncos home in the divisional round. I'd happily take the Dolphins.

Over in the NFC, I am really looking forward to the Dallas-Philadelphia game. We generally pull for the Eagles (my wife's best friend is a lifelong Philly fan). That said, we both have soft spots for Kyle Orton. He was never more than mildly competent in Denver, but we always felt a little bad that he was the guy with the bad luck to be in the way of Tebow mania. (My pick is Philly, who have the look of one of those teams that is just going to slide into the playoffs on a hot streak and cause some trouble in the playoffs.)

And now that Rodgers is back, I think Green Bay beats Chicago.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always back my beloved Panthers, what with me being a good Christian, and all.

After unleashing a merciless 17-13 slaughter upon the Saints last Sunday, all the Panthers need to do is defeat the Falcons to clinch the division, a first round bye, and then a home game. However, it seems all the NFC teams are competing to see who gets whupped up on in Seattle for the NFC championship.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Some pretty exciting games today! The Niners were a part of one that could have borrowed the 2010 SF Giants' unofficial fan motto ("Torture!"). NFC West is pretty smashmouth these days.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My predictions for this weekend:

Sat.
KC over Indy- though this is a close one.
NO over Philly - New Orleans' offense will overcome any weather difficulties over a team that had trouble putting away a Romo-less Cowboys team

Sun.
Cincy over SD- When you can barely beat a division rivals second string, at home, in overtime, in a do or die situation I think it is safe to say you will likely be one and done.

SF over GB- This is not the fan in me talking, really!. Harbaugh's track record against GB is 3-0 and the 9ers are on the upswing.

Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

Yes, I once questioned Peyton's ability to come back.

Arrgh.

What's cool though is thinking he may have extended his playing years by two or three by taking one off.

And watching the Raiders flail I, being me, can't help but wonder where young Brother Timothy was, and what God is teaching him.

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God this season is over for us, sayeth the Vikings fan... [Disappointed]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
My predictions for this weekend:

Sat.
KC over Indy- though this is a close one.
NO over Philly - New Orleans' offense will overcome any weather difficulties over a team that had trouble putting away a Romo-less Cowboys team

Sun.
Cincy over SD- When you can barely beat a division rivals second string, at home, in overtime, in a do or die situation I think it is safe to say you will likely be one and done.

SF over GB- This is not the fan in me talking, really!. Harbaugh's track record against GB is 3-0 and the 9ers are on the upswing.

I dunno. Rodgers will be out for revenge! But it's probably going to be a low-scoring game in that weather.

Agree with you on Cincy, but I think Philly is the "team that is streaking now" and NoLa isn't fab on the road. They're the other team that is getting screwed by the seeding this year.

KC and Indy - could be a pick'em.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Wow, that was an exciting day of football yesterday. One team battling back from a four-score deficit, one game ping-ponging the lead and getting decided in the last seconds. That first game was about as good as American football gets and will be remembered in game history.

The Saints break their bad postseason streak (their prize is to go up to Seattle, LOL), the Chiefs do not.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Couldn't believe what happened in KCC-Colts. (Not doing well in College Football either; Oklahoma beating Alabama was a big shock.)

But these massive turnaround games are always marvellous to watch. Can they? Can't they. Surely they can't? Oh yes they can!! Wow! Did you see that coming?

Well, I didn't. Think I'll leave forecasting on the shelf ...

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Changed my mind. Reckon its Bengals and Packers to go through. Packers-49ers is close, but Rodgers is outstanding - and fresh. Bengals should handle Chargers more easily.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Wow, that was an exciting day of football yesterday. One team battling back from a four-score deficit, one game ping-ponging the lead and getting decided in the last seconds. That first game was about as good as American football gets and will be remembered in game history.

I stayed up too late last night listening to KC-Colts on the radio. Totally worth it; what a game!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno if my Chargers can make it in the snow. They didn't last time. I think playoffs in non-domed stadiums discriminate against our great California teams. I lived in San Diego County for parts of ten years and never saw them successful enough to be in the playoffs. My Raiders have been in the Super Bowl a few times and Charles Phillips, an old high school football buddy, was backup quarterback for them at the Rose Bowl in 1976. I was three miles away but forced to watch it on TV.....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Looks like the Chargers-Bengals game got Good Philip Rivers and Bad Andy Dalton. I am just catching up with that game.

Hoping the Niners can get it done at the Frost Bowl.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016