homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are more inconspicuous ways of hiding a boy than traveling by night. For starters, plopping him on a wagon and telling him to stay put. Foret might be part of the cargo, but he's ancillary, not the main object.

I'm also wondering what else is in this caravan. We've seen supply wagons and mobile homes, but are there any other goods being transported besides what's in the fortified wagon? Something more mundane, or seemingly mundane? What does Cimenster demand? Food? Lumber? Iron? Silks? Slaves? What they pay enough to have imported might tell us what's happening inside the city—and if it's slaves, we have to wonder if we're the cargo. We were allowed to join awfully easily, and to plunder Trepik's wagons with a good deal more sangfroid than I'd expect from a man of business. Somehow or other, either we're not causing him any losses, or he's planning on recouping them in the end. A city that stages large public executions has something to fear. Piracy from the Shark Lord might explain that, as well as the lack of small, unfortified villages in the outskirts; an unrestive slave population needing to be controlled might also explain it.

All else being equal, I'd rather Jetse not be sold into slavery, thankyouverymuch.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
Mary is considering ***barter*** with a dwarf, Ironfoot, who seems to be a resident of Cimenster. Is this possible? Assuming Clawdine is agreeable she can offer food (assuming there is a place to grow it) and possibly healing skill from Dorainen and Gunriana, again if they are agreeable.

BTW I assume the dwarf is one of the day guard not the driver who have been described as humans (not sure what species Hewer and Trepik are suppose to be) and that Clawdine, Ironfoot, and Mary are seated on the back of a wagon and might be able to see some of the others in the distance.

BTW I envisaging that the party is walking between the wagons except when trying to talk to someone on a wagon and that the dwarf guards are walking on the margin of a fairly wide road (a margin kept clear to try to lessen the surprise of attacks or maybe is abandoned farmland from some of the deserted villages).
code:
 d     d    d      d      d    d      d
==:: ==:: ==:: +++::: ==:: ==:: P ==:: ...
d d d d d d d

with P being the party other than those elsewhere (the party may also be behind the fortified wagon). : are a pair of oxen, == a wagon (+++ is the fortified wagon).
As stated earlier in the story, Hewer is a female dwarf and Trepik is a male human.

You can certainly barter with Ironfoot - but what are you bartering for ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have now passed through the gate the caravan briefly stopped at, you have carried a bit, but it will be time to stop for the day's rest soon.

[ 27. June 2014, 19:26: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Mildly interesting salt facts.

And more.

[ 27. June 2014, 19:43: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was the gate occupied by people that some of the caravan (not us, we assume) interacted with, or were we just waived on, or was it empty?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Gate was unattended, the caravan stopped to check that essentially.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
Mary is considering ***barter*** with a dwarf, Ironfoot, who seems to be a resident of Cimenster. Is this possible? Assuming Clawdine is agreeable she can offer food (assuming there is a place to grow it) and possibly healing skill from Dorainen and Gunriana, again if they are agreeable.

BTW I assume the dwarf is one of the day guard not the driver who have been described as humans (not sure what species Hewer and Trepik are suppose to be) and that Clawdine, Ironfoot, and Mary are seated on the back of a wagon and might be able to see some of the others in the distance.

BTW I envisaging that the party is walking between the wagons except when trying to talk to someone on a wagon and that the dwarf guards are walking on the margin of a fairly wide road (a margin kept clear to try to lessen the surprise of attacks or maybe is abandoned farmland from some of the deserted villages).
code:
 d     d    d      d      d    d      d
==:: ==:: ==:: +++::: ==:: ==:: P ==:: ...
d d d d d d d

with P being the party other than those elsewhere (the party may also be behind the fortified wagon). : are a pair of oxen, == a wagon (+++ is the fortified wagon).
Interesting how we imagine things differently, isn't it? I had the dwarf driving the cart, with the three of us up the front, as I thought every SECOND cart was being driven by humans. The dwarf now has two names, rather confusingly, as you didn't read my earlier posts too closely.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure it's been stated that every wagoneer is human and every guard is a dwarf, though there are other dwarves (including some that may be hanging out on wagons). I also thought we'd sort of (in a less clear way) established that every dwarf had two names: their dwarven name, and the common human translation of their name (like Cephas and Peter).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

And more.

Our problem with salt being traded in coastal areas is that sea salt is readily available through saltings and panns - Panns Bank in Sunderland was the local salt extraction site (in iron panns) and there are saltings all over the south coast - so we can't see why rock salt is being traded unless it's some other salt with more value for some reason - eg saltpetre

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, however we are seated, and whatever the dwarf is called, Mary probably needs to know that Clawdine can grow mushrooms pretty much anywhere (in a barrel, in a bathhouse, in a cellar, in a brick attic or secret passageway.) Trees are different. She would require a plot of land for that. A field, a common, an open courtyard or suchlike.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Alright, so here's what we know about the secure wagon:

1. There are six chests. Three of them contain salt. Three of them might not. The dwarves, on very scant evidence, think they contain gold. Given the paucity of the evidence, I'm guessing they might contain something else. Is there anything banned in Cimenster? Something worth smuggling? Weapons, drugs, dangerous magical items, political material, that sort of thing? I can't imagine that a caravan carrying only gold and salt (again, why is salt valuable in a seaside town? Scrape it off of things before you wash them!) would have to travel at night, but I can think of lots of reasons why one carrying something banned into a paranoid town with a new, harsh, and controlling government might want to.

I'm going to suggest that it's really saltpetre, which can be mined and is an ingredient of gunpowder - which would tie into the story so far.

quote:
2. We're a party of superpowered adventurers, some of whom are strange and unsettling. Between the two witches (one of whom can become wet and naked at a moment's notice), the scary dude, the elf in the jester's hat, and the being that's slept with everything, I think we can create a pretty good distraction to get into the cart.
Just because Jetse doesn't do friendliness there's no need for him to cast aspersions on those that do. Life is so much nicer when it can be enjoyed in company.

And how about Jetse hands over the dice, cards and cups when Er comes near?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:

And more.

Our problem with salt being traded in coastal areas is that sea salt is readily available through saltings and panns - Panns Bank in Sunderland was the local salt extraction site (in iron panns) and there are saltings all over the south coast - so we can't see why rock salt is being traded unless it's some other salt with more value for some reason - eg saltpetre
Of course you are not actually in Sunderland, it would be fair to say that in normal circumstances you would expect a coastal town to be self-sufficient in salt.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Of course you are not actually in Sunderland, it would be fair to say that in normal circumstances you would expect a coastal town to be self-sufficient in salt.

And these, of course, are far from normal circumstances. Could it be that the sharklord is somehow depriving Cimenster of its access to salt, whether through simple paramilitary muscle, or some kind of magical means?

Sometimes, as Freud didn't say, salt is just salt.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took a look for the dwarf's name but couldn't find it quickly.

As for why the salt is valuable.
1. It isn't sodium chloride but a different salt (though I don't quite see saltpeter coming from a desert)
2. It is symbolic in some way
3. It has magical significance. Perhaps since it doesn't come from the sea it can be used in spells against the shark lord or other powers of the sea.
4. People can't produce the sea salt. Poisoned/cursed, government restrictions (but in which case I would expect the government to manage a monopoly, not import), the sea is off-limits (in which case fishing and ships should be missing also), conditions not good for producing sufficient quantities of salt (I live fairly close to some commercial salt ponds but they exist because the area has a long dry summer and relatively little rain year round, areas without that might require wood for boiling the salt water down to produce reasonable quantities).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just because Jetse doesn't do friendliness there's no need for him to cast aspersions on those that do. Life is so much nicer when it can be enjoyed in company.

And how about Jetse hands over the dice, cards and cups when Er comes near?

I believe the description of Er involves the term "morals of a cat." If that doesn't imply "rakish rogue with ample daring-do who looks for opportunities to ignore anything that looks like a scruple," I don't know what does.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ariston/Jetse - Er has come to find you - you need to interact with him on the story thread. Pretty please. Rather than casting aspersions on the meta thread.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You know, the alternative is that Er realises Jetse is asleep or otherwise unconscious and picks his pockets.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Caravan has halted, when it travels after leaving in the evening - it will reach Cimenster (barring accidents etc ...)

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Aspersions? Those were compliments!

Go ahead and pick Jetse's pockets.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You can certainly barter with Ironfoot - but what are you bartering for ?
I would say shelter for the group in the city for one or more nights.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK roll is ***easy*** difficulty - 6-10 gets you one day, 10-15 gets you two days, 15-19 gets you three days.

Please outcome post.

(If you get 1 or 20, please post here and I will give you am outcome.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Aspersions? Those were compliments!

No combat if you notice ! Other outcomes are discretionary.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Er doesn't want to get into combat, but an unresponsive protagonist makes it damn difficult to negotiate. And there's only this stop to see if he can do anything with the dice and the prophecy - unless Jetse is planning to use them?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Can I roll for sleight of hand? (I'd rather save the roll for something useful, like gaming with the dwarves but don't have anything to game with, yet)

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

quote:
OK roll is ***easy*** difficulty - 6-10 gets you one day, 10-15 gets you two days, 15-19 gets you three days.

Please outcome post.

(If you get 1 or 20, please post here and I will give you am outcome.)

Rolled 14 so two days. BTW if I rolled 10 or 15 which way should I have gone?

--------------------
spinner of webs

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You should have noticed I cocked up the numbers and told me [Biased]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Can I roll for sleight of hand? (I'd rather save the roll for something useful, like gaming with the dwarves but don't have anything to game with, yet)

Yes, but you need to give me a story post with a description of how you're approaching Jetse, so I can decide difficulty level.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Also, I have slightly lost track - when did Er find out Jetse had Dr Goode's things ?

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

quote:
You should have noticed I cocked up the numbers and told me [Biased]

Or I got 1.5 or 2.5 nights and we all had to leave at midnight. [Smile]

--------------------
spinner of webs

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Dorainen is using ***tracking*** to find out something about what other travelers have used this road recently. The fact that we've met none on the journey suggests it's infrequently used, but maybe we can get something more precise than that.

This also adds to the sense that our meeting this caravan was in some way 'fated.'

[ 28. June 2014, 18:47: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Roll at OK difficulty please.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Fail, sorry dude (actually that would be a fail even at easy.)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I've done two story posts approaching Jetse - one coming up chatting and a second saying he is totally unresponsive - after he told me to pick his pockets in the meta game.

Er doesn't know that Jetse has the stuff from Dr Goode, but Er saw Jetse talking to Dr Goode before the doctor left and something passing between them. Er did ask Jetse, in character, if Jetse had seen Dr Goode in the first approach post.

Apparently I need ***light fingered*** skill for this, sorry.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes, but as you make your attempt, are you both walking - are you in front, behind, hidden by a crowd etc ?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I have assumed Jetse is sitting on a wagon bench somewhere as he was riding with dwarves - I nearly described him as slumped, as I think it would be hard for him not to respond to any approach while walking along. Unless he's in a catatonic trance. (I'm trying very hard not to write another character's actions, but if they are opting out of writing them, I'm not sure what I can and can't do)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You can roll at ***hard difficulty*** it is a contested roll your skill is good and his readiness is good, so equally matched, but you are at a height disadvantage, as he is on the wagon and you're not.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You succeed ! So you get, everything except the light, without Jetse noticing. Please outcome post.

[ 28. June 2014, 20:46: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

[ 28. June 2014, 22:58: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I guess I need to find Dorainen to heal Jetse? As Jetse has remained unresponsive throughout Er's approach and relieving him of the gambling stuff? Could Dorainen heal Jetse's arm (picking up on this post from Doublethink where it was suggested)?

The gambling stuff was in response to this post where Doublethink said:
quote:
If noone pick's up Goode's character, I'll write him out in such a way that his special items are available to the party - it would probably most suit Er to keep the gambly stuff, the rest might be divied up as you think right.
and this post where Doublethink says:
quote:
John Goode has now left the party, his special items are with Jetse, who has been asked to give the cantrips to Er. Jetse will give the light to whomever he sees fit, or keep it himself. The story post is here, but Er had been looking out for Dr Goode for some time in the hope of getting hold of those dice and gaming bits.

These are:

• Trick coin. When John tosses the coin it always lands his called side up - either heads or tails.
  • Magic "three shells and a pea" set: Unless countered by other magic before starting to play, people will get sucked into this game and wager something valuable they own/have control over. No matter how perceptive they may be naturally, they will loose and hand over their stake - if grudgingly. (Can be used once a week. Player characters can not be forced to play or wager. NPCs can negotiate stake, but must wager something of value / importance.)

and the prophecy of "Dwarf looking at dice on the ground in the bemusement".

And Er picked Jetse's pockets because Jetse's response to this
quote:
You know, the alternative is that Er realises Jetse is asleep or otherwise unconscious and picks his pockets.
two posts later was:
quote:

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Hmmph mucked up the quotes in the above, the midde bit should be:

this post where Doublethink says:
quote:
John Goode has now left the party, his special items are with Jetse, who has been asked to give the cantrips to Er. Jetse will give the light to whomever he sees fit, or keep it himself.

These are:

• Trick coin. When John tosses the coin it always lands his called side up - either heads or tails.
  • Magic "three shells and a pea" set: Unless countered by other magic before starting to play, people will get sucked into this game and wager something valuable they own/have control over. No matter how perceptive they may be naturally, they will loose and hand over their stake - if grudgingly. (Can be used once a week. Player characters can not be forced to play or wager. NPCs can negotiate stake, but must wager something of value / importance.)

The story post is here, but Er had been looking out for Dr Goode for some time in the hope of getting hold of those dice and gaming bits.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am not sure we have any evidence Jetse needs healing, there may be other reasons he is not responding to Er.

More broadly, I would advise trying to avoid OOC group dynamics driving IC interactions. Either that needs to be sorted out by pm, in meta or just lived with.

[ 29. June 2014, 10:11: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Sorry, busy weekend, this one. Jetse's fine; I don't know why he'd need healing, and I think it takes more than your average doctor to regrow missing limbs.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Do you want to edit out the last paragraph of the story thread?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am happy to leave it as if Er was just being sarcastic about Jetse's silence.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

Mary is attempting to ***barter*** for information. Story line set up.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hart, I forgot to bold Master Elf where Frithwynne has gone over to talk to Dorainen. Highlighting it here in case it's not apparent on Story.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016