homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dafyd, you sense evil.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everybody roll readiness please at OK difficulty. Post your results here please.

[ 12. July 2014, 19:19: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Darn, you need to exceed 10 unless you have any buffs to boost it.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I keep having the feeling that there's something significant about the caravan, why it's traveling at night, and what's in the fortified wagon, that we're supposed to find out and have been completely unable to discover. But I can't think of any other way to get at it that's consistent with our party's natures. As a result of not finding out, I'm expecting some horrible catastrophe to occur in Cimenster (and now we've created an execution ground, an ominous ceremony, and threats from the Sea Lord to add to the possible catastrophes) but even if a catastrophe that will give us more challenges to actively tackle.

And I'm pretty sure at least a few of our characters are picking this up as well. One the one hand, you're right—the character most likely to take the direct "kick in the door" approach would be Jetse; unfortunately, I think his skill set would lead to some very literal kicking in of doors and a fair bit of chaos. Could be fun, though. Almost better than sitting around waiting for something to happen. Could also get us all killed, but hey!

…okay, getting all of us killed is probably not the best course of action.

Instead, we might want to consider who has an appropriate skill set, or whose skill sets we can combine, and would be most likely to act out of character when the pressure's on. For instance, like half the Ship, I'm a horrid introvert. I hate interrupting people. I also like to have a paper trail, a record of every conversation, for backup when I have to deal with the accounting department. So, when I'm at work, I tend to do everything by email and avoid the phone. However, when a reviewer has blown a deadline and two extensions, I'll suck it up and call them. That's out of character for me, but it's still something I'll do.

So, now that things are getting a bit tense, and pretty much everything we've seen is telling us "find out what's really in those chests," maybe we should figure out who cracks under the pressure first and does something heroic.

ETA: even better example than me and the phone—Bilbo Baggins. Would plundering a dragon's horde be in character for Bilbo? Of course not! That's a point of the story—someone who was completely mild-mannered and ordinary did something that surprised even them!

[ 12. July 2014, 19:34: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Darn, you need to exceed 10 unless you have any buffs to boost it.

There's not a chance Jetse could use his spot skill here, is there?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Rolling for that sounds like a good idea [Smile]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:

You notice Trepik putting something in each ear, and arranging the flaps of his hat in an odd way. You notice all the wagoners have fiddled with their hats. They seem to have tied up the ear flaps in a way that makes it harder to look sideways - a bit like horses's blinkers.

Please outcome post.

[ 12. July 2014, 19:42: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a readiness roll yesterday and got a 15 - do I need to do it again?

If the wagon team are blinkering themselves, would that be enough of a distraction to get into that wagon?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes, you would roll again, this is a totally different action. Yes, you could try to get in the wagon if yu wish.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roll for readiness was 2 !

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Bugger.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ain't good, 4.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nope not good enough I am afraid.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Rolling for that sounds like a good idea [Smile]

Whew. Okay, 13.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nice one, you notice the same things as Hart - and that the dwarves are fearful. They are are also winding their off hands (non-dominant) into the lead reins by the heads of the oxen. In the distance, very faintly, you think you hear choral singing.

Some of the caravan people have begun talking to themselves, repeating something soundlessly.

The guards are not looking out into the darkness where the singing is coming from, but looking fixedly ahead.

Please outcome post.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I would suggest everyone takes a look over their skills and gifts lists, it is easy to end up only thinking of a few familiar possibilities.

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would suggest everyone takes a look over their skills and gifts lists, it is easy to end up only thinking of a few familiar possibilities.

Am I correct in thinking we are all immune to magical persuasion though we might not be aware of it yet? Given what appears to be coming that might be useful.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daniel gets a 1.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
quote:

Am I correct in thinking we are all immune to magical persuasion though we might not be aware of it yet? Given what appears to be coming that might be useful.
You are indeed.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Daniel gets a 1.

Oh dear, you think you spot a familiar shape flitting from tree to tree at the edge of the wood to your left, having seen no sign of real danger - you decide to go and investigate, the others don't notice you leave.

Please outcome post.

(This is your out, I am taking this opportunity to have Daniel do a Captain Oats - so you can write it leaving your ultimate fate ambiguous, or die horribly - tis upto you what you would like to write for Daniel.)

[ 12. July 2014, 21:14: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You notice what Hart noticed, but now you see a dwarf straining to get away from the ox she tied her wrist to, blindly, mindlessly - her struggles remind you of a landed fish.

Please outcome post.

[ 12. July 2014, 21:54: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frithwynne rolls a 6.

Help, we're walking past land sirens and half our group isn't noticing anything.

DT, are those who notice something allowed to point it out to those of us who haven't, especially since we seem to all be walking together (except for Banner Lady who's in a wagon)?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I don't see why not. (Sadly 6 is a fail.)

[ 12. July 2014, 22:11: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I think we've built up a bit of a queue for outcome posts - perhaps someone will choose to share the information in their outcome post.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariston, Frithwynne has Good Wits, Excellent Readiness, and Good Inspiration which can be bumped up to Excellent by a once-per-GM-weekly use of her chalice.

Perhaps use her chalice-buffed Inspiration to try to think of something? If DT is going to allow us to think of anything...

Or just wait and see what happens and spy on Trepik and where he delivers the gold when we get to Cimenster.

I'm not sure how much of this specific worry Frithwynne herself senses. But if someone else asks her for something she'll likely follow their lead.

Will knowing what's in the chests tell us anything? Or do we really need information, from Trepik about what he's doing and who he's doing it for?

--------------------
Truth

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gunriana also rolls a 1.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

£)(£(£) -//:}^%~^%#^) !!!!

Well, you don't notice anything strange initially, but when you go over to talk to one of the dwarf guards who seems to have got stuck in an oxbridle you manage to get your rune scarred hand trapped in the tangle between the dwarf, the ox, the rein and the yoke.

You are having to walk alongside the ox trying to get ot free without doing yourself an injury.

Please do an outcome post.

[ 12. July 2014, 22:33: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

I forgot, one member of the party is vulnerable to magical persuasion, Foret.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Since we're immune to magical persuasion, that means we (except for Foret) are immune to the land sirens. So I think although we have been warned and are initially taking preventive action, I think it would be useful for us to inadvertently hear the strange singing, and realize that it is not affecting us the same way it's affecting the dwarves and oxen.

--------------------
Truth

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

Why sirens on land though? Actions by the shark lord? And are they singing anything we (or some of us) can understand (Dorainen might be the best bet on that)? They might explain the vanishing hamlets though. Was Trepik planning to throw Foret to them so they would leave the rest of the train alone? And us (or at least those of us he couldn't make a profit off of otherwise). He is in for a bit of a shock if we are immune (I'm not sure whether we have to roll at easy or something).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

1. We still haven't proven that it's magical persuasion. Could be something like a gorgon or basilisk—a sonic or visual attack, rather than enchantment.

2. We're all looking after Foret, no? I know Jetse looks at him as his protege (yes, looking for new talent to train is kind of a Jetse thing), but I doubt he's the only one. Keep the boy out of too much trouble, ya hear?

3. Is there any way we could find out what's actually in those chests? Not to use out of game knowledge, but I get the hint that they're kind of important, and assuming that they're full of gold or salt isn't the right answer.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Readiness roll is a 7. Clawdine is going to snore this one through, because she is not able to be of any help at all.

[ 13. July 2014, 06:18: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Jetse/Ariston - I've sort of wondered about the bonded wagon in character. Always looking for opportunities Er. However, Er is unlikely to approach Jetse after the last encounter when Jetse was unresponsive. I started writing Er going to see what Jetse was doing in my game post and then thought why should Er go near Jetse when he had no response last time?

Of the gifts and skills that Er has there's the hempen hand - could that rescue Foret if he gets in danger? Or isn't Foret small enough. He hasn't found out he has that skill yet. And there are the cups that haven't been used yet that were Jack's.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I'm kind of intrigued by the suggestion that Dorainen might be able to understand something from the song as it gets closer, given his established expertise in watery chanting. Would I need to roll something for this?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(I forgot to tell you, you sense evil.)

Wellllll, try rolling inspiration at OK difficulty.

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to use my singing skill to distract the dwarves & humans who are not immune.

I roll a 15.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You don't have a singing skill ?

You could maybe distract with somekind of miracle ?

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
(I forgot to tell you, you sense evil.)

Wellllll, try rolling inspiration at OK difficulty.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Gaaah !! You are one short, please do a try and fail outcome post.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tried rolling for inspiration in Clawdine's sleep (like a prophetic dream). Rolled a 4 and failed. Sorry 'bout that. Clawdine continues to be entirely unhelpful to the crew.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

Damn, I forgot- I was going to have a singing skill but I lost it in the curse. Let me think on useless miracles for a minute.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Banner Lady, how do you know your inspiration roll failed when DT hasn't yet told you at what difficulty level to roll? Granted, it's unlikely DT will tell you inspiration is Ridiculously Easy in this case, but who knows?

What I usually do is say what I want to do, wait for DT to tell me the difficulty level, and then either roll or decide I don't want to try it after all at those odds and save my roll for something else.

[ 14. July 2014, 01:29: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

Land sirens could also be rusalkas which would fit oddly with Daniel's skills. To quote Wikipedia they lived in rivers and

"In the middle of the night, they would walk out to the bank and dance in meadows. If they saw handsome men, they would fascinate them with songs and dancing, mesmerize them, then lead them away to the river floor to their death."

Their origin varied but were frequently described as the souls of young women who died untimely (suicide, murder).

Admittedly if them, Trepik going through in the middle of the night seems the height of foolhardiness.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Banner Lady, how do you know your inspiration roll failed when DT hasn't yet told you at what difficulty level to roll? Granted, it's unlikely DT will tell you inspiration is Ridiculously Easy in this case, but who knows?

What I usually do is say what I want to do, wait for DT to tell me the difficulty level, and then either roll or decide I don't want to try it after all at those odds and save my roll for something else.

Being time poor over the last couple of days, I rolled, discovered it was very low, and decided to forego the "appropriate processes" in favour of keeping the story moving. Please forgive, if it has annoyed you all.
BL

[ 14. July 2014, 07:01: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Wonders vaguely who is in what time zone.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016