homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Net Spinster:
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
Yes, I get that, but it seems to me that it would be difficult (though not impossible) to anchor a sailing ship out of sight of land to conduct diving operations without passengers noticing, or indeed to launch the cutter and keep it secret from most of the people aboard. We have also just been ship-wrecked - it seems reasonable to assume that as the ship was going down, we weren't all playing our ukuleles, and someone looked to see where the ship's boat had got to.

But obviously I don't want to post anything implying knowledge that Gunriana doesn't have.

The cutter was not the ship's boat but a separate fast boat (cutters are fast boats) that met the K. presumably at a pre-arranged point and time (so probably just off-shore at a particular deserted landmark [no other witnesses]) and exchanged money (or the rest of the money) for chest. The captain wouldn't have been able to hide the other passengers if the mercer's agent had been on board the whole time. The diving operation should have been noticed but the details of the transaction were probably always vague except to a couple of people among the survivors.
Net spinster is correct re the above.

Re discussing the Kavetski, you can't discuss anything *after* the onset of the storm with other players. (Likewise diagrams etc.)

So you could say something like "the storm started after the agent left the vessel", but not "the vessel sank".

[ 04. June 2014, 15:34: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah. Frithwynne has spoken too much about the storm. I'll be more careful in the future.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No probs.

Important to remember you can not tell non-player characters you meet that you were on the Kavetseki.

Er, You can do the fire lighting without a roll. Cooking the meat at ***ridiculously easy*** difficulty. Ridiculous fail and you burn it and it tastes foul.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Net Spinster - you don't need to roll for drawing a ship in the sand - but nothing happens in particular.

You can't draw the sinking of the Kavetseki though.

The binding stops you communicating about that - there is no work around that.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Meta-context summary

All characters have now either directly found out themselves, or had the opportunity to overhear or observe the following key information:
  • The ship went down in a magical event
  • It happened shortly after the mercer's agent left with the chest the elf recovered
  • It is now twenty years later
  • No one has succeeded in getting usable salvage from the sea
  • There is now a fire
  • There is drinking water
  • There is horsemeat being cooked
  • There is jerky being made
  • Individuals have various bits of gear that they had on their person when the Kavetseki went down
  • The shepherdess has suggested that sleeping here would be very unwise
  • You don't seem to be able to talk about events between the storm beginning and becoming aware of your situation on the beach.

Out of character instruction, once you meet Non-player characters, the binding prevents you telling them you were on the Kavetseki.

[ 04. June 2014, 18:54: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Er, You can do the fire lighting without a roll. Cooking the meat at ***ridiculously easy*** difficulty. Ridiculous fail and you burn it and it tastes foul.

15 I've done an outcome post.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Meta-context summary

All characters have now either directly found out themselves, or had the opportunity to overhear or observe the following key information:
  • No one has succeeded in getting usable salvage from the sea

Does this mean we should stop trying? I was considering using ***find hidden*** again today since my character doesn't really have any other helpful skills at the moment.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well its upto you - but what usable flotsam do you feel you would be able to retrieve from a wooden ship wrecked out to sea twenty years ago ?

(You could always wait for a suitable moment during the meal to prophesy.....)

[ 04. June 2014, 20:44: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good point. [Hot and Hormonal]
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Please see edited extra suggestion.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daniel takes out his opticals and ***Investigates*** the sand. He wants to find out what traces there are of our activities over the past twenty years (or of anybody visiting us). Roll a 7.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

OK- I will try ***prophesying***.

Rolled a 16.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clawdine would like some ***inspiration*** please, if that's allowable. I rolled a 4.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Daniel takes out his opticals and ***Investigates*** the sand. He wants to find out what traces there are of our activities over the past twenty years (or of anybody visiting us). Roll a 7.

Your roll is successful.

You are on a pebbled shore, leading up to scrubby low hills. There is some seaweed, occasional pieces of driftwood, one or two lumps of rotten fleece. Aside from the wood gathered for a fire and King's carcass, the only trace of the survivors are the people themselves.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Clawdine would like some ***inspiration*** please, if that's allowable. I rolled a 4.

At ***easy*** difficulty, that roll is a fail.

(In general it is better to say what you are trying to do, together with which skill or potential you think you'll need to use.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
OK- I will try ***prophesying***.

Rolled a 16.

Success !

You have a vision, a sequence images::
  • Mother of rivers, weeping
  • The survivors walking in a wood
  • Caravan of wagons on a road heading north
  • Dwarf looking at dice on the ground in the bemusement
  • The gates of a town
  • A stone table, on it a crudely carved model of a boat is half buried in rock salt

Please do an outcome post including how you declaim your prophecy to the others. (It is up to you how your character interprets the images.)

[ 05. June 2014, 06:01: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

For clarity, new GM day started after Daniel's investigation roll.

(Sorry, I didn't post at midnight, I fell asleep [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having taken a bit of a break from posting, I realise that I am not looking forward to playing on.

I see three options for Jack here. Either he basically shrugs the time capture off, and I play this simply as an initial handicap to his abilities and equipment and pretty much ignore the set-up otherwise. This is far too "unrealistic" for my liking, I like to keep my character "coherent" within the story framework. Or I am playing him as a severely depressed character for the rest of the game, who struggles to find some way to cope. Or I play him as full of hateful rage, seeking to destroy whoever or whatever stole his youth from him. Neither of the latter two options is at all attractive to me.

Just to make this clear, I'm not opposed to dramatic situations or indeed "in story" damage to the characters, all the way to mutilation and death. But there is a big difference between losing your health, arm or even life to a dragon, and being ground down by time. I want to have fun with heroics and puzzles, I want to have an adventure time. That I enjoy, that takes my mind off reality. I heart this kind of escapism in a game, it's what I thought I signed up for. Facing your own mortality and deep psychological questions about life? Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer shallow fun. I would also like to point out that this is not about lack of fighting. I had designed Jack very much with a "not so much fighting" campaign in mind. I actually made an overview list of all the various skills of the characters that had already been posted, and decided that a thief/trickster would probably be really useful in a more "social" game setting. So this is not about the lack of action in a Schwarzenegger sense, it is about the overall story mood.

I hope I do not offend anybody by suiciding Jack. In real life I am as opposed to suicide as any, and I realise that this may evoke bad memories for some (indeed, suicide has struck my immediate family hard in the past). But again trying to be in-story coherent, I think this is a realistic response from Jack. Furthermore, it has the added convenience of getting Jack beyond the reach of quite a number of powerful skills / magic abilities of the other characters and the requirements of social ties or friendships to use them. And it ends things right now, rather than having to play along until everybody gets their act together and we finally move to some place where it makes in story sense for me to part ways.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this further, as it sure seems you do. There's no reason for you getting distracted by my departure. My apologies to DT in particular, this is not intended as any sort of negative comment. Keep up the good work. This is simply not something I think I will enjoy much taking further, and so I will stop it here.

Perhaps until some other time, in some other RPG setting. Good luck.

P.S.: As should be clear from the story post, Goode has my special magic item already, and the rest of what I had will be easy enough to find on the beach. So I think the campaign will not be lacking my equipment as far as it is needed.

[ 05. June 2014, 10:18: Message edited by: IngoB ]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, I'm sorry to see you depart, but I thought it was an excellent IC post on which to make an exit.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One procedural weakness of autonomous individual posts is that decisive group action is slow. Obviously a lot of the PCs are now ready to head off from the beach, but none of them want to say "I start walking" and leave alone (or splitting the party).

Can I ask that any remaining hold-outs who aren't leaving say so (here or in the story), so that if we are all leaving DT can set the next scene.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Thanks for your exit post IngoB.

I will post a more detailed response to the concerns raised by you and others regarding the opening of the game later this evening, on the construction thread.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daniel uses ***Occult*** to see whether he's heard of anything that could be the source of the magic cast upon us. e.g. is more likely to be an ancient curse, or something some modern magician cast upon us to keep us silent?
(This would be a good chance for the GM to give us a definite lead please.)
He rolls 17.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Reminder: Both Er & Clawdine have mentioned cooking /cooked food - you need to clarify if you are snatching a hasty meal and leaving, abandoning the food cos you have lost your appetite, taking it with you to eat cold later or whatever. Obviously, not everyone has to do the same thing, but your characters are aware of the cooking fire on the beach.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Daniel uses ***Occult*** to see whether he's heard of anything that could be the source of the magic cast upon us. e.g. is more likely to be an ancient curse, or something some modern magician cast upon us to keep us silent?
(This would be a good chance for the GM to give us a definite lead please.)
He rolls 17.

The mercer's agent and the prophecy aren't definite leads ?!?!

Are you sure this is how you want to use today's roll ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(It would be Ridiculously Hard to know without further information, if you want to reroll and try for a natural 20 you may do so. Or you can choose not to use your roll for this.)

Basically, sometime soon, you folks need to leave the shore in order to find and interact with people and the wider game world. This will give you all far more opportunities to use your skills, and choices, and information.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er was debating how irritated to be that he's slaving over a hot fire cooking supplies and the party are all rushing off without collecting anything to eat now or later - and whether there was enough driftwood and fabric to make a travois.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

There is wood, I suppose horse hide could be used instead of fabric ?

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And use the horse sinews as laces.

Frithwynne can try to use her ***Wits*** to help if Er doesn't succeed, or can use her ***Wits*** first to preserve Er's roll today for something else. If this is OK with DT -- I'm still not sure when I can use a plain potential, e.g. ***wits***, and when I would need something more specific, like Er's ***living off the land***.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I'd suggest saving your roll AR.

Er, I think you should roll that as Tinkering, at *** OK*** difficulty.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curious Kitten rolled a 14 for Er (she's got a dice) I guess he succeeds.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yup, go for an outcome post please.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Meta-context Post

You ***all*** left the shore. You all regain your lost potential rank.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Reminder: Both Er & Clawdine have mentioned cooking /cooked food - you need to clarify if you are snatching a hasty meal and leaving, abandoning the food cos you have lost your appetite, taking it with you to eat cold later or whatever. Obviously, not everyone has to do the same thing, but your characters are aware of the cooking fire on the beach.

Gunriana will help to carry anything we're taking, including bits of horse. She'll eat when hungry.

As a matter of general game-play, do you want us to story-post 'mundane' stuff (like eating when food is available)? I'd be inclined to post when my character is declining to eat, or wandering around at night not sleeping, or refusing to help with group activities, and have it assumed that otherwise she's doing the normal thing. I don't think that the IC posts model every second of her life.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:

I don't have any better ideas for today's roll.
Daniel would like some knowledge that's a bit more academic to complement the prophecy.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:

Gunriana will help to carry anything we're taking, including bits of horse. She'll eat when hungry.

As a matter of general game-play, do you want us to story-post 'mundane' stuff (like eating when food is available)? I'd be inclined to post when my character is declining to eat, or wandering around at night not sleeping, or refusing to help with group activities, and have it assumed that otherwise she's doing the normal thing. I don't think that the IC posts model every second of her life.

Not unless its significant really.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

I don't have any better ideas for today's roll.
Daniel would like some knowledge that's a bit more academic to complement the prophecy.

Give it go then - you never know your luck ...

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
I thought it was due to your knowledge and experience re religious status etc. I suggest you hang on in there with your current skillset, etiquette will come in useful, and there will be opportunities to learn another skill later in the game.

Would it be possible to take instead:
Harmless Eccentric (Elan): Daniel can get by in social situations while violating rules of etiquette with impunity.
I'd hope that was equivalent, but think that suits Daniel's character better (Daniel being the sort of person who thinks 'were your parents also killed by vampires when you were ten?' qualifies as light small talk.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK, I'm cool with that.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

2. I imagine that fails. Will narrate.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yup, thanks.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eliab and Banner Lady, just tuning in to say that the idea of having King's death ending the spell is gold. I'm might curious if that was just emergent play, or if there was some long term planning by someone involved there...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, when I finally twigged we were all 20 years older, I re-read the set up story by DT, to find that Mother, Frithwynne and I were huddled on the beach against King's flank. Whether King was alive or not was not stated, but to add twenty years to a horse is pretty much a fatal sentence. I posted accordingly hoping it would be a catalyst for something to happen. Eliab picked up on this and ran with it, for which I'm very grateful. I am also hoping the idea of us being held as hostages in time might provide some interesting leads. As to what that might be, I have no idea.

But I'm glad you liked something about the storyline. I have also left it open as to whether you do in fact die out at sea. A rainbow, after all, is a sign of promise, and rescue is possible if you want it. I expect the real action is about to begin...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM day

--------------------

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a novice, do I have to roll to find north?

Mary Drake

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I didn't look at your character sheet before I made my story post. You appear to have an always-on find North gift (so no roll required). In the story world, it's perfectly plausible that Dorainen doesn't know this, so this might be a good time to let him (and other of the travelers) know!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

All Players

quote:
Meta-context Post

You ***all*** left the shore. You all regain your lost potential rank.

I am pleased you have all left the shore, however, I did post on the story thread that you left the shore and had already got to the edge of the wood. Please refresh and read the threads before posting, for the sake of coherence.

(I am not asking you to change / fix your posts, but for future reference please check before you post.)

[ 06. June 2014, 07:06: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Sorry,DT, I thought we were travelling through the wood, rather than gathered at the edge of it. Were we supposed to have stopped? Also unclear if the doctor's "light focuser" works as a torch in the dark or only during the daytime.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Not sure if you'd stopped just htat you had reached the wood. Re the doctor's device, I would see that as working off sunlight, phospherence and moonlight. (Basically if there is any kind of light source at all it will work - so it is fine for you to have seen it.)

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had rather hoped to keep my light device concealed until an appropriate time, and that it would work (for a short time, expensively) in total darkness, but I can go with the flow.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how to answer Gunriana's question. Does Dorainen remember anything about the chest, or how he got recruited as diver?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016