homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident (Page 36)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:

You succeed thought what you find is not exactly your ordinary ox but rather the duke's prize bull kept against slaughter in hopes of restoring his herds one day. You should be able to get it to the harbor with little trouble. Once at the shore you will need help.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm assuming D.'s knife isn't ideal for the slaughter, but is it passable? Does Jetse or anyone else have something better?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much, much better—and more impressive looking. I think an all-black rune-etched wave blade would be appropriate for the occasion, no?

Do I do the slaughter, or should someone else?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariston, if you want you can role play Mary Drake offering the loan of Gunriana's Scramasax for the deed.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariston, where is Jetse? Back at the dwarves' house? With Dorainen and Frithwynne ox-hunting? Somewhere else?

Net Spinster, ditto: where is Mary?

I had thought Jetse was with D and F, and we would go straight down to the harbor for the sacrifice and then return to the dwarves' house. Do we instead need to return to the dwarves' house to pick up either Jetse and/or scramasax?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

Mary is at the dwarves' house where you can assume she is working to organize defenses with the dwarf leaders and the guild leaders. Yaris might after all figure out what is going on and attack.

Not sure where Jetse is, but, you could role create some messengers (e.g., apprentices, dwarves). There may after all be several groups out looking for an ox.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New GM Day

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are y'all ready to go with the ox sacrifice ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon I have two more story posts to conclude Gunriana's ritual - which I haven't written yet. I'll hold for a bit to let the narrative focus go above ground, and then we can bring the threads together.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Are y'all ready to go with the ox sacrifice ?

I was hoping Ariston would weigh in with Jetse's whereabouts so I'd have a clue for how to narrate our route to the harbour. Failing that, I'll go ahead and get us down to the harbour now.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jetse is soon to emerge from the shadows in which he lives. Worry not, the bull shall die.

(His avatar has been having an Interesting Week, filled with time in courtrooms. Keeper Ræven has suggested taking a sword to the lot of them, filling the rest with arrows. The avatar thinks this might get himself put in a rather unpleasant place once the Secret Service catches up with him; Jetse the Black does not see the downside. Oh Jetse...)

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

Perhaps the GMs will provide some stand ins. We still have the petitioning assuming both sides survive until them.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

IRRC someone needs to make sure the ox's head is tossed into the sea.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have one more narrative post to finish the account of Gunriana's experience underground. I'll try to time that with the party's return to the tunnels. (Assuming you do return, of course).

That's unless DT wants to do some or all of the outcome before the chamber is unsealed - in which case please say.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You'll need to roll Rune magic before we decide on outcome (ie whether you survive for example).

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
IRRC someone needs to make sure the ox's head is tossed into the sea.

On it.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

We are assuming Gunriana's incantations are heard at the site of the sacrifice through the power of magic, as she is sealed in an earthen chamber more than a mile away.

Can I just congratulate everyone on the quality of the story posts around the this ritual - loving Gunriana's wild abandon, the ox emerging from the gates like smoke, and the soldier battling the waves.

Somewhat dependent on Gunriana's outcome, I am hoping Adam will get to strut his stuff in the healing phase after the rune magic is complete.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

The rite's over.

And something of the witchery must have carried over into real life because...

...I rolled a 20!

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Wooohooooo !!!

Everything works, go wild with your outcome description - at base you defeat the sharklord, but feel free to do exuberant description.

As a bonus for critical success, x1 per week, Gunriana can channel the voice of the world serpent, giving the target a single sentence instruction, They can only resist with an exceptional act of will (roll of 20). She will gain insight to fact she can do this in the course of your outcome post.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
New GM Day

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you want me to narrate the beginnings of D.'s attempt to heal G., and then roll for success; or roll and then do the whole thing in one post?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Are we skipping narrating the part where Eliab had Gunriana say all must agree to open the wall? We're missing Jetse's and Mary's IC agreement.

--------------------
Truth

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Good point; I'd forgotten that. I don't know how often I'll be able to look in on Sunday or Monday, though.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Paging Jetse

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

It would be nice to have the dig described from Frithwynne's perspective - no roll is required at this stage.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Why Frithwynne, out of curiosity? Happy to comply; it will take me a few hours to envision it.

--------------------
Truth

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

Because Gunriana put you in charge of it.

You can role play Mary who has a lot of the necessary tools beside her and there are plenty of npcs (dwarves and men and at least one cat) to rely on.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

OK. I'll be back in the morning to try the healing (in 12 hours ish). Do you want me to roll before I post anything?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes, please, a healing roll - don't roll a 1 !

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

If you've ever done a first aid course and had a manual with illustrations of all the different sorts of wound - abrasion, incision, contusion, laceration, ... - that's pretty much what Gunriana will look like when you get to her. Plus a few chemical burns, and asphixiation.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
Yes, please, a healing roll - don't roll a 1 !

[Well, it's not a 1!]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

K, you succeed but be sure to narrate it as a real struggle - you manage, but only just.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Will do. I have a meeting a 10 minute drive away that I'm going to leave for now (50 minutes early), as there's the possibility of a big snow coming. If it hits, I might be stuck there and unable to get back to my computer till quite a bit later.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Nice post Adam [Smile]

Also liked the birthing metaphor AR, v clever.

[ 18. November 2014, 19:52: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

(You need to gather yourselves, consider reburying Clawdine and plan for the petitioners hearing - may need some liasion re timing of proto-revolution. Last push guys, lets finish before Christmas.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Do we need Gunriana to recover before planning for the petition day? IC she's too damaged to come up with much in the way of new ideas, and OOC after she was the focus of the ritual, I think it's time to switch to another character taking the lead on the political end-game.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

I think we maybe need to plan here quite what we're going to do at the petitioners' hearing. Do we just show up and say, "Oh, you know that Shark Lord? We dealt with him for you. No biggie. And Yaris, she's a crook. K. Thx. Bye."

I'm going to go with not doing that. But I'm not sure I have a better idea.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

OK, thinking about this some more. What do our characters actually *want*? Ultimately, Dorainen wants a home and fulfilling work. He'd be perfectly happy to stay in Cimenster in a kind of Surgeon General kind of role.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
OK, thinking about this some more. What do our characters actually *want*? Ultimately, Dorainen wants a home and fulfilling work. He'd be perfectly happy to stay in Cimenster in a kind of Surgeon General kind of role.

Gunriana was looking for revenge.

Currently, she is an emotional wreck and could be persuaded to go along with practically anything. Petitioning the guilds with an indictment against Yaris for betraying the city is the sort of thing she was thinking the party would do.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

How about using her snake power to get a public confession out of Yaris?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
How about using her snake power to get a public confession out of Yaris?

Well, she could, but the thing about the snake power is that it's evil. It scares her.

Dorainen could probably talk her into it (if he's earwigging her conversation with Frithwynne, or if Frithwynne tells him about it, then he will know that she can do the command thing), if he thinks that's the best plan.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

OK, here's my idea. We want the whole truth to out at the petitioners' hearing. We want this for a few reasons: it will lead to the town turning on Yaris; it will lead to the town rewarding us (which both constitute revenge); we still don't really know the whole story of why we were magically trapped for 20 years and would quite like to.

However, we can't do all this truth telling ourselves, again for a few reasons: the people might not believe us; we don't know all the details behind Yaris' plot, particularly her involvement in our captivity; we can't speak of the Kavetseki without choking.

One question I'd like to check with a GM before I post in story: do we know we can't speak of the K. without choking?

If so, it seems to me that we need to get Yaris to publicly confess. While there might be more humane ways to do it, magic would seem the most obvious (and dramatic). We can still go, present our evidence and hold the magic as an ace in the hole.

Also, looking back at the first post in story, the mercer (and, hence, Yaris, presumably) didn't know of Gunriana or Jetse's presence on board. They had put Dorainen there and consented to Frithwynne's presence. Simply the sight of a witch and a soldier of repute in this company should shock Yaris, which might produce an excited utterance of some value, or at least give us the advantage of surprise..

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Experentially, you knew about the choke binding - but that was before Frithwynne obtained the ship ....

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016