homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  36  37  38 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Metagame for The Kavetseki Incident
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the best of my knowledge the players & characters are:

• Gunriana - Eliab
  • Crazy Clawdine - Banner Lady
  • Daniel Van Adescant - Dafyd
  • Dorainen - Hart
  • Frithwynne - Autenreith Road + (JFH)
  • John Goode - character vacant option to play or write out
  • Mary Drake - Net Spinster + (Kelly Alves)
  • Guardian Jetse Vos - Ariston
  • Mother Aethelreda - Antisocial Alto
  • Er Maker - Curious Kitten + Curiosity Killed

That is nine/ten characters, and twelve players.

Does anyone want to pick up John Goode before he gets written out - basically need to know if anyone wants to take him today.

[ 22. June 2014, 14:09: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If absolutely need be, I can play him as a silent character—making rolls and the like—but not as an active one. People can still talk with him, fill in his lines, but he'll be kind of quiet. I'm having trouble keeping up with one character's dialogue (it's hard to write a character that doesn't talk much!), so two might be too much for me to do "well."

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, the current situation as I read it:

—Treppik is probably very scared of us right now. I've just robbed him at axepoint, his guards might be shifting their loyalties to us as we gain the upper hand and show our strength, we've broken in to his special wagon, we've been nosing around about that cargo, and we've just taken away his slave and given him weapons. If he wants to maintain control of this caravan, he's going to have to do something about us very soon.

—The dwarves could shift their loyalty to us, rather than Treppik, if we play things correctly. Besides Er having prior, uh, contacts with Hewer, we've pretty well shown that we're the stronger party after the incident with the Dolgarkin and that overkill intimidation attempt. One good bit of diplomacy, to show they don't have to fear us if they help us, and we can safely take the upper hand in the caravan.

—We haven't heard much from any non-dwarven teamsters and the like. Are there any?

—Jetse, despite trying to be quiet, has pretty much leaked his backstory to anyone who knew what to look for…which at least one of the dwarves would. Being utterly uncharming does this. It may have consequences for him, it may help him. Depends on how other things play out.

So, what to do with this? Is there any reason why we shouldn't take the Poetic Justice option of using the initiative we've built up with the dwarves to get them on our side before Trepik tries to get rid of us, staging a coup, stuffing him in one of his own secret locked chests, and selling him to the first galley we find in Cimenster before we split the profits from the caravan with the dwarves (more or less—more to us, less to them)?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In character, we could get together at the bone fire to discuss what to do.

I think we need to stay with the caravan since (a) Trebik has now paid us so we are under contract as far as Cimenster (we could break contract but that would not be in character for some) and (b) we have no other obvious way of getting information. Some may choose to break into the fortified wagon but probably on the rest period of the last day before getting to Cimenster. All should try to gain information though I'm not completely sure on how to do that in Mary's case (at least until she can start bartering).

Timeline as it stands

day 1 - on the beach, leave
night 1 - cross woods, join Trepik's caravan (I see this in the early night so at the beginning of a march)
day 2 - march (first march?) with Trepik's caravan until mid-morning then rest, wagon looked into, late afternoon attack by skeleton.
TO COME
night 2 - march (second march?)
day 3 - rest again
night 3 - march (third march?)
day 4 - arrive Cimenster

If my calculations are right and people are planning a breakin, day 3 is the day (if the first march isn't one of the marches, then day 4 is the day). However if it goes wrong we may find ourselves being pursued by the law and Trepik in Cimenster and perhaps a few of us caught. On the other hand it is the gun DoubleThink has put on the mantlepiece. Frithwynne's skill with animals can get around the snake though I'm not sure how you'll get her to join; she might even be able to take the snake with her. Or perhaps someone can get Trepik to be a bit more forthcoming (does he gamble?).

We also each have some money and better clothes (i.e., we don't need to look so much like beggars) so at Cimenster we can seek information in more places such as the docks and the inns serving ship captains, the guild headquarters (merchant), possible acquaintances (can Hewer link Er up with other people he use to know; does Gunriana or Mary still have any trade connections around?), the theater (perhaps some play is based on events of relevance), the market while we barter for goods (Mary can try rolling there).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If noone pick's up Goode's character, I'll write him out in such a way that his special items are available to the party - it would probably most suit Er to keep the gambly stuff, the rest might be divied up as you think right.

Timeline looks right to me.

Will post more context later.

Each wagon has a human wagon driver, Mary has named a few of them. The dwarves are a band hired to protect the caravan, rather than directly working for Tepik. In theory they could, as you suggest, change sides - though that would require work on the party's behalf. It would make other employers wary of hiring them in the future, if people found out they had turned their coats ...

[ 22. June 2014, 15:35: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks DT for explaining that any time you're fighting something, it's combat. It may seem stupid, but I really hadn't thought of it that way.

I guess I really have no idea how this works. I'm slow at feeling my way into a situation, and I'm happy with just storytelling, so both those combined probably conspire to make me spend time on what gets classed as minor actions. I don't really know what constitutes major actions. Getting stuff, I guess, whether things or information.

Not sure what to make of Gunriana ignoring a direct question from Frithwynne. Not sure what to make of Banner Lady having Clawdine disturb Frithwynne's pony-taming, right after DT had said it needed to be undisturbed to succeed.

Mary asked Er and Dorainen to gather people at the river, but that also got ignored.

[ 22. June 2014, 16:05: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gunriana has, at the moment, absolutely no interest in working against Trepik or subverting his employees. If it were shown that he was actively working for the Enemy, she'd consider the obligation to him broken. In the case of overt hostility breaking out between him and her friends, she would stand with her friends. Otherwise, she'll give no support or encouragement to any action directed against him. If a witch can't be trusted to fulfil her obligations, her reputation is finished, and Gunriana cares more about that than about any general villainy* Trepik might be engaged in.

(*necromancy is an exception, of course, for the reasons given IC).

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Not sure what to make of Gunriana ignoring a direct question from Frithwynne.

The last paragraph of Gunriana's most recent speech on the story thread is to Frithwynne. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I see now. Thanks.

The same thing has now happened twice, with both Mary and Gunriana. Frithwynne asks a question which includes a part which I, AR, am trying to pose to create an opening for characters to talk IC about what they want to do as part of what we OOC understand might be a quest -- follow the prophecy, find out who attacked the Kavetseki, whatever -- and that part doesn't get any IC answer.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Likewise, when I asked people to post about priorities and motivations, folk posted about their own individual characters - rather than discussing *with each other* what the priorities and goals for the party should be at any length.

I think the priorities and the goals for the party, to be arrived at IC, have to start from the priorities and goals of the individual characters. So OOC it makes sense to me to have started with identifying what our individual characters would naturally IC be interested in. It seems like what we now need is a lot more OOC Meta discussion about what we're going to agree, OOC, to move our characters, IC, towards.

I have some more nascent ideas on plot and metaplot, but I need to think about this some more.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I think sometimes people don't read the story & meta threads before posting, or maybe read too fast.

It might help if we made it a convention to bold the character name of the person you are addressing IC ?

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Perhaps. I don't mind bolding names.

For the conversations Frithwynne had with Mary and Gunriana, I know Net Spinster and Eliab read them, because they had Mary and Gunriana reply to part of what Frithwynne/AR was inviting them to talk about.

[ 22. June 2014, 17:57: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Just to be clear, I don't mean this as anything negative about either Net Spinster or Eliab. I'm trying to understand how to make the in-game interactions work to further our gaming goals as players.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
  1. What is the priority now? We could all muster by the stream and let the caravan go on its way now we've restocked, but we're signed up to work on the caravan and that might cause problems with Trepik. The fire would suggest we're staying, but the bones attack means we're not in a good place to stay. So do we work out how to move fast to get back to the caravan that is leaving?

I took the fire to be solely a temporary measure to burn the bones, not a sign that we're staying. OOC, I would like us to stay with the caravan, because there's more opportunity for interaction and discoveries with the caravan than on our own.

quote:
  • What is the party's aim? Do we want to get to Cimenster? because a few people have suggested that they want to do other things?

I would really really like to see us go to Cimenster as a group. At a plot level, it seems sensible that ***some things*** will happen to us while we're with the caravan, and then ***some more things*** will happen once we reach a city/town (whichever Cimenster is).

At a purely Meta level, I assume what we're doing is roleplaying engaging in some sort of quest as a group. So it would seem to me that we need to find a way for our characters to want to stay as a group.

Characters ruminating that they might want to do other things apart from the group might make sense strictly IC, but I don't think it helps us as a group of gamers if characters actually act on those ruminations and split off. So to me it makes sense, in support of the metagame objective of roleplaying engaging in a quest as a group, for us as players to find ways for our characters to agree to act together as a group.

quote:
  • There are more parts of the prophecy to follow through - how do we get dwarves to play dice when the two people (Jack and Dr Goode) who had the dice are no longer a part of the party?

Er has the highest Charisma of anyone else, so I think Er should get the dice, and we can figure out on Meta how we're going to get Er into a game.

quote:
Er could come over at Trepik's behest to collect Hewer, and tell the rest of the party that the caravan is leaving. Which would mean the rest of the party has to choose what they want to do.

Or Er could come over to the river to collect Hewer and decide to remain with the party.

Here is what I would like to see:

Er could come over to the river to collect Hewer and tell the rest of the party that the caravan is leaving. Er wants to remain with the party. Fortunately (for our metagame objectives as gamers wanting to roleplay a quest as a group), the party decides to go back to the caravan and continue on with the caravan.

It's an easy decision to go back to the caravan: they have all our food.

[ 22. June 2014, 18:36: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OOC I agree that it would be best to stay with the caravan until it reaches the city, and then see what our options are.

IC, Aethelreda definitely doesn't want to overthrow Trepik while we're on the road. She's not a criminally-minded person but can see, from a practical point of view, that out here our party will naturally take the blame for any thefts. If we robbed him in the city, it wouldn't be immediately obvious that it was us.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er wouldn't want to overthrow the caravan either. He might be a little edgy with his dealings, some *helping* his prowess in gambling, the occasional bit of playing with the wife while the husband's away, maybe not being so careful about the provenance of the goods he sells, but nothing that will get him into serious trouble.

If twenty years had not passed he might know someone who would pay for information about this caravan. Should they raid the caravan, he would not be averse to some of the contents of the chests falling into his hands, so long as those goods would not implicate him in the robbery. But his little boundary issues with moral values are only enough for him to need to move on until tempers have cooled, and are carefully judged so that any ill effects have dissipated the next time he comes to call. And he's far too cautious to set up a deal such as selling information without being sure that he is not implicated in the deal.

Is everyone agreed that we rejoin the caravan and work out how to meet up and move on from there?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daniel has had some sleep and recovered from the long walk. He will use ***Investigation*** to do a Sherlock scan on Trepik to see if he can pick up any clues about whether this individual has been up to anything relevant to our predicament.
(I see by the scarring round your ankle that you were once a galley slave and by the salt splash on your lapel that you've been trading with smugglers three nights ago - that kind of thing.)
Roll 9.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With regards to caravan, I can't see any reason at the moment for the party to want to take it over. I'd be happy to move to Cimenster at full speed and follow whatever leads we know about there.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - you now have a much more docile Clawdine, who will need some recovery time, and will therefore be staying with the wagons, once she is helped into one.

You have a special service going on for the bones, so we can all participate in that, and perhaps even a few curious dwarves and Trepik might put in an appearance at that. I doubt whether the whole caravan would be ignoring what would be going on, even if they are a little preoccupied with getting the animals hitched and the wagons back on the road and safely out of harm's way. It might even give an opportunity for conversation with Trepik.

I need to explain something about Clawdine. I am basing her on a much loved but quite exasperating (at times) bi-polar member of my family. At times she will be generosity itself, loving, helpful and hospitable. At other times completely in her own world, oblivious to anything except what pleases herself, and without a care as to what anyone thinks of her. Her ability to transform suggested this to me - I am not trying to torpedo everyone elses ideas.

The comment from Mary about setting Clawdine up as a business partner if Clawdine would stay in the countryside collecting things to barter was an option I didn't really want to take, as I understood we were to stay with the caravan. Likewise with the ponies, which would have given us options to ride off on our own.

If that's not what you intended, AR, then I regret scaring them off, and I will therefore post all Clawdine's intended actions in a Metapost here first. Thanks DT for the clarifications.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Banner Lady, no I did not intend one single pony as an option for riding off on one's own. Going off on my own is not on my mind, although it seems to be on Clawdine's mind a lot. I thought a pony could be useful to carry things, or to trade, or for any of a variety of things. (For example, pulling an incapacitated Clawdine at this point on the travois.)

Even a herd of tamed ponies would to me just be an option for the group to ride instead of walking. And speaking of walking, characters are just as free to walk off on their own as ride off on a pony. So I don't understand the hostility to a tamed pony.

I will say that in Story Frithwynne doesn't yet see any reason or indication that the group will stay together once they reach Cimenster, nor that if they do stay together they will have any place for Frithwynne in the group. So I've been trying to have Frithwynne engage in interactions where she can show she's useful, find out other characters' intentions, and so on. So far it seems to be a massive useless minor-action failure.

But that's the giant part of narrative coherence that I think this story needs at some point before we reach Cimenster: the characters discovering shared reasons and goals and agreeing to stay together, and having all the characters know about this. Once Frithwynne knows IC that other characters have certain goals, she can help to achieve them. For example Frithwynne wouldn't think on her own of trying to figure out who targeted the Kavetseki, but once she knows Mary wants to do that, she will very willingly help Mary.

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Daniel has had some sleep and recovered from the long walk. He will use ***Investigation*** to do a Sherlock scan on Trepik to see if he can pick up any clues about whether this individual has been up to anything relevant to our predicament.
(I see by the scarring round your ankle that you were once a galley slave and by the salt splash on your lapel that you've been trading with smugglers three nights ago - that kind of thing.)
Roll 9.

OK, that was ridiculously easy, so you succeed, finding that:
  • Trepik has a unique embroidery style on the hem of his tunic, indicating it came from Dradfa, a small town near Barvik
  • His deep tan pattern combined with the late summer season suggests he has recently returned from A journey across the Apar desert
  • You already know the Apar desert contains salt mines, salt is heavy & valuable
  • You know the salt mines are manned by slaves
  • Trepik has no manacle scars
  • Neither the wagoneers, nor the dwarves, have the same deep tan - but Foret does
  • Trepik has a callus between the forefingers of his right hand, typical of an archer, though he carries no bow
  • Trepik has an amulet of a snake swallowing its tail on a chain around his neck

Please include a feasible paragraph of how you get from the Clawdine rescue to meeting up with Trepik in your outcome post.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

I'm not so sure we need to have a formal, in-game, group meeting; we could probably get by with the narrative equivalent of passing notes, or whispering in ears. I also don't think being too obvious about talking among ourselves and plotting would be the best idea, given the fact that we've attracted the notice of both the head of this caravan and his dwarven guard.

Truth be told, I'd rather take a few steps to make sure the dwarves stay on our side if their employer orders them against us. If you all are opposed to an armed coup on our own part, then I'd just as soon make sure we're not on the receiving end. Could someone with some actual elan chat up a dwarf or two and make sure they stay on our side (or at least out of the way) if things get nasty? It might look bad for them if they turn on an employer, but not participating in a massacre ordered against us probably wouldn't.

I'm also looking out for the rest of you as well, of course, even though I'm the one who stuck an axe in somebody's face, shamed him in front of his hired guards, and may have just nicked his bow.

I suspect the bone fire will be dying down shortly, and we'll be back on the road soon. Those of us who stay up late (well, late in game) and aren't Jetse might want to use this chance to do some sweettalking of useful NPC's.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes conversation here overnight decided that the party didn't need to overthrow the caravan but could do a bit of ingratiating with dwarves, not enough for insurrection but enough to keep Trepik off balance. And yes, passing messages on as we walk past each other would be more effective.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

So we've arrived at: return to the caravan, ingratiate selves with dwarves, find out information.

Anything else we've found some agreement on that I've overlooked?

--------------------
Truth

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Gunriana's rune magic is being used to benefit the caravan as a whole, if that's possible. If that takes more time to do than one GM day's action, then she'll carry on with it for as long as it takes or until we reach Cimenster or some new danger.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

The snake eating its tail is a symbol of renewal, recurrence and the eternal return. Does Daniel's ***Occult*** knowledge reveal anything more specific about Trepik's amulet?
He rolls 20.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Er is wondering if he can look at Dorainen's map and use his ***well travelled*** skill to see if he can spot any changes on the route or in Cimenster - but we need to negotiate that with Dorainen ...

The other thought is using the ***silver tongue*** to smarm with the dwarves and maybe get into gaming - however that really needs the next stop and the dice.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Frithwynne is thinking of using her ***intuition*** to find out if there's any particular person in the caravan who would be useful to approach for information, and what the useful approach might be (what to ask, who to send to do the asking, that sort of thing).

[ 23. June 2014, 22:08: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
The snake eating its tail is a symbol of renewal, recurrence and the eternal return. Does Daniel's ***Occult*** knowledge reveal anything more specific about Trepik's amulet?
He rolls 20.

I am assuming that's a natural 20.

In which case, you gain the skill ***semiotics***

• You note this is a local symbol of scale-master, scale-masters have an intimate knowledge of snakes, are said to be protected from the venom in bites, they can make potions and poisons from the venom
  • Scalemasters worship the Goddess Alhalune, the amulet might be for luck, or enchanted to render a snake docile.
  • Human scalemasters are rare, it is more usually a faith of the Alchark - the goblin races
  • Trepik's verbal response to any query will be a brush off, he will not wish to talk of such things with an outsider.

The Alchark are found in desert lands, sharing their faith maybe an important asset for one who travels the deep desert regularly.

Please do yourself an outcome post.

[ 23. June 2014, 22:33: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
Gunriana's rune magic is being used to benefit the caravan as a whole, if that's possible. If that takes more time to do than one GM day's action, then she'll carry on with it for as long as it takes or until we reach Cimenster or some new danger.

Could you give me a roll at easy difficulty please.

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

John Goode has now left the party, his special items are with Jetse, who has been asked to give the cantrips to Er. Jetse will give the light to whomever he sees fit, or keep it himself.

These are:

• Trick coin. When John tosses the coin it always lands his called side up - either heads or tails.
  • Magic "three shells and a pea" set: Unless countered by other magic before starting to play, people will get sucked into this game and wager something valuable they own/have control over. No matter how perceptive they may be naturally, they will loose and hand over their stake - if grudgingly. (Can be used once a week. Player characters can not be forced to play or wager. NPCs can negotiate stake, but must wager something of value / importance.)
  • A Hakhdi Instrument of Light. This small plain cylinder of fine steel with a glass sphere on the end can emit a powerful focussed beam of white light. John paid half his fortune to a travelling Alchemist of the North for this most valuable of all his possessions.

John had not wanted to keep anything remotely magical, not even his light - but he kept his scalpels, mundane as they are and the tools of his trade.

[ 23. June 2014, 22:51: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:

Success ! Your magic will knock a day off the journey, explain this however you like in your outcome post - also the caravan will look much newer and in better repair.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Frithwynne is thinking of using her ***intuition*** to find out if there's any particular person in the caravan who would be useful to approach for information, and what the useful approach might be (what to ask, who to send to do the asking, that sort of thing).

DT did you see this? Or did I miss your reply?

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Sorry, I thought you were still discussing with CK.

Roll at ***OK*** difficulty please.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

--------------------
Truth

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Sorry, not high enough - nothing happens.

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can one of us with the ***find hidden*** skill use it to find any hidden poison in our food? Or is that only meant for solid, unmixed objects?
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

No, I don't think that would work.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You might look for vials of poison, in a specific location I suppose.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

As Hart is otherwise engaged is there any way we could borrow Dorainen's map to check the changes to Cimenster and surroundings - that would be using ***geographical skills***?

Or would it be a good use of skills to find safe food using ***living off the land*** abilities?

Until Jetse gives Er the dice and other bits we can't try using ***silver tongue*** to earn money and try for the other bit of the prophecy.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clawdine would like to ***find hidden*** in one of the sacks she is lying on.

Rolled a 15.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

That succeeds, what specifically were you looking for ?

(Then I'll tell you what you find.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
As Hart is otherwise engaged is there any way we could borrow Dorainen's map to check the changes to Cimenster and surroundings - that would be using ***geographical skills***?

Or would it be a good use of skills to find safe food using ***living off the land*** abilities?

Until Jetse gives Er the dice and other bits we can't try using ***silver tongue*** to earn money and try for the other bit of the prophecy.

Well, you have all already eaten today - would make more sense to look for food at the next stop I would have thought.

If you want to raise money you could try putting on a magic show, or have another attempt at tinkering in the meanwhile. Or you could transform, wander a bout as a mangy cat and see what you can learn.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well, these sacks are very hard and lumpy. Clawdine is hoping to find something to eat. She does not intend to steal, but if she can find some withered fruit or root or nut, she can do something with it for the common good. After all, everyone was very kind in rescuing her, and she now has a knife and a cooking pot.

[ 24. June 2014, 22:18: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I didn't think Er had any choice for transforming, it was inopportune.

Personally, priorities are for getting safely to Cimenster and being prepared for what might be there 20 years on, not so much earning money, although that would be useful.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, you could describe an inopportune moment if you wish to transform - next to a dog, or standing in a river for example.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Well, these sacks are very hard and lumpy. Clawdine is hoping to find something to eat. She does not intend to steal, but if she can find some withered fruit or root or nut, she can do something with it for the common good. After all, everyone was very kind in rescuing her, and she now has a knife and a cooking pot.

You find a surprisingly large array of vegetables and a large smoked sausage, the makings of a fine stew. There is a small pouch of withered mixed up bits and pieces. (Describe how you like if you cause them to grow.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

New GM Day

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  36  37  38 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016