homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Scottish Play

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Scottish Play
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we start a prediction thread? Winner is s/he who gets closest (to the aggregate difference) to the turnout, yes and no vote.

Prize is a chance to kiss Alex Salmond goodbye (if No wins) or David Cameron (if Yes wins, as he will definitely be resigning).

Here goes:-

Turnout. 82%
Yes. 42%
No. 58%

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout. 73%
Yes. 39%
No. 61%

(And £10 on this thread whooshing to the Circus [Biased] )

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

And so it shall be, because that's where this type of thread belongs.

Boogie, you can donate your £10 to the Organ Fund [Biased]

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tempting fate, but here goes:

Turnout: 70%
Yes: 42%
No: 58%

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh? Boogie won that one. You owe her!

How about this conundrum:

Vote turnout 66%.
Yes: 50%
No: 50%

Making equal parts yes, no, and don't know/care.

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
Huh? Boogie won that one. You owe her!

Once it has been decided who the "you" is, she can give her winnings to the Organ Fund in a show of generosity [Big Grin]

And since I'm here, now, and don't have the faintest idea...

Vote turnout 60.4%.
Yes: 25.7%
No: 74.3%

By the way, how is the winner of this thread going to be determined, tulfes?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

Boogie, you can donate your £10 to the Organ Fund.

Done!

[Cool]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much though I long for the resignation of Cameron I rather hope it won't be through this.

Turnout: 62%
Yes: 35%
No: 65%

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turn out: 78%
Och ayes: 43.2%
Aye rights*: 53.5%
Spoilt papers: 3.3% (a record).

*A sarcastic variant of "definitely not"

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout: 71%
Yes: 41%
No: 57%
Spoiled votes: 2%

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

- Posted      Profile for Tulfes   Email Tulfes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're all underestimating the turnout. All reputable sources are predicting 80% plus.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
I think you're all underestimating the turnout. All reputable sources are predicting 80% plus.

Depends how you read it. As a new register has been created purely for the referendum then a high proportion of those on the register will probably vote, as many of those who won't vote won't register either.

On the other hand it could be that fine old Irish principle of "Vote early, vote often".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout: 72%
Yes: 46%
No: 53%
Spoiled ballots: 1%

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 78%

Yes - 51%
No- 49%

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 76%

Yes 43%

No 55%

Spoiled/Lost 2%

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout - 69%

Yes - 47.9%

No - 52.1%

(And Alex Salmond doesn't resign, but vows to fight on and force another referendum until he gets the "right" answer)

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 79%
Yes 45%
No 55%

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

[ 29. August 2014, 12:50: Message edited by: Jonah the Whale ]

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 82%.

Yes 46%
No 54%

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 62%

Yes 47%
No 51%
Spoiled 2%

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

The result will be declared as percentages of the non spoiled vote.So those who have included a spoiled percentage may wish to repost with straight yes/no percentages.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Revised without spoilt papers

Turn out: 78%
Och ayes: 44.9%
Aye rights*: 55.1%

*A sarcastic variant of "definitely not"

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

PS turnout predictions are 75% to 80% minimum so those down in the 60's may wish to rethink and repost. Just saying.
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

Oh, and Yes is gaining ground so result may be very close. Reposting acceptable up to 10pm on the 18th.
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

Some bloke in Kent or the like has placed an £800K bet on a No victory. Hope he doesn't want to repost. Too late matey.
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

REVISED PREDICTION

Turnout 84% of those registered
Yes 48% of vote
No 52% of vote

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Revised to

Turnout: 72%
Yes: 56%
No: 44%

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Current prediction:

Turnout: 73.3%
Yes: 44.8%
No: 55.2%

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout: 76.25%

Yes: 37.4%
No: 62.6%

[ 08. September 2014, 10:42: Message edited by: Anglican't ]

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 74.8%

Yes 49.7%
No 50.3%

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout: 75

Yes: 37
No: 62

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My prediction

T: 82%
Y: 45%
N: 55%

And now for the real fun, some maths... [Biased]

quote:
Winner is s/he who gets closest (to the aggregate difference) to the turnout, yes and no vote.

First, it makes sense to consider absolute values of the difference, rather than the difference itself. For example, if the turnout is

T = 85%

then both predictions

T_1 = 80%

and

T_2 = 90%

should be considered equally good or bad. This you can achieve by computing the absolute value

|T - T_1| = |T - T_2| = 5%

But since Yes and No are not independent (Yes = 100% - No, assuming "Invalid" is negligible or not counted), you are in fact double counting. Let's say the results are:

T = 80%, Y = 40%, N = 60%

and the player predicts

T_P = 75%, Y_P = 48%, N_P = 52%

then the differences are

Delta_T = -5%, Delta_Y = -8%, Delta_N = +8%

Note that Delta_Y = -Delta_N. This will always be the case. If you add absolutes, you will hence double count the vote split:

|Delta_T| + |Delta_Y| + |Delta_N| = |Delta_T| + 2 * |Delta_Y| = 21%

If you added without absolute values, it would be even more disastrous, you would flat out eliminate the vote split! I suggest to add only the absolute differences concerning the turnout and the yes vote, so for our example

|Delta_T| + |Delta_Y| = 13%

Finally, as an alternative you may wish to rate negatively larger deviations more than smaller ones. This you can do by using squares of the differences rather than absolute values, as one does when calculating variances of distributions. For example, we might have two players with the following results:

Delta_T1 = -8%, Delta_Y1 = 2%

Delta_T2 = +5%, Delta_Y2 = -5%

If we add absolute differences, then they are equally good

|Delta_T1| + |Delta_Y1| = |Delta_T2| + |Delta_Y2| = 10%

but if we add squares, we penalise the big deviation:

Delta_T1 ^ 2 + Delta_Y1 ^ 2 = 65 %^2

vs.

Delta_T2 ^ 2 + Delta_Y2 ^ 2 = 50 %^2

I think this would be the best solution.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ingo, while your methodology is sound, did you read what the prize was? You seem a little bit...um.....keen.

quote:
Prize is a chance to kiss Alex Salmond goodbye (if No wins) or David Cameron (if Yes wins, as he will definitely be resigning).

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout: 95%
Yes: 50%
No: 50%

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:
Ingo, while your methodology is sound, did you read what the prize was? You seem a little bit...um.....keen.
quote:

Well, I hope the kissing bit was meant metaphorically... Though if it would remove either one of these gentleman from power, I think I would make the sacrifice.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout: 82%

Yes: 52.1%

No: 47.9%

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tulfes
Shipmate
# 18000

Updated forecast:

Turnout 91%
Yes. 47%
No. 53%

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

Update to my predictions:

T: 88.0%
Y: 46.5%
N: 53.5%

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

My updated prediction:

Turnout: 84%
Yes: 48.7%
No: 51.3%

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 91%
Yes 41%
No 59%

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turnout 85%
Yes **.5 %
No 49.5%

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turn out 92%

Aye: 44.6
Naw: 55.4

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Crap spouted by Heavenly Anarchist:
Turnout 79%
Yes 45%
No 55%

Hurrah!

You won [Big Grin]

What's the prize??

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
T: 82%
Y: 45%
N: 55%

Ingo B came closer as he almost got the turnout right, too.

Pucker up, IngoB!

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

And * , for one, would bung £10 into the Organ Fund to see a photo of Ingo B snogging Alex Salmond.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hold your horses peeps, the votes aren'yt all in yet.

The Highland area result isn't yet in, and whilst they don't have enough votes to overturn the NO vote, it may change the percentages...

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Crap spouted by North East Quine:
Ingo B came closer as he almost got the turnout right, too.

Pucker up, IngoB!

* would have been on the money, but * changed my prediction!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Crap spouted by kingsfold:
Hold your horses peeps, the votes aren'yt all in yet.

The Highland area result isn't yet in, and whilst they don't have enough votes to overturn the NO vote, it may change the percentages...

They're in now, not much change in the grand scheme of things ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

quote:
posted by Baptist Trainfan:
They're in now, not much change in the grand scheme of things ...

Didn't really expect them to make much change, but * don't know whether that changed who came tops in the prediction stakes...

Final call:
No 55.3%
Yes 44.7%

turnout 84.5%.

(or 55;45;85 if we're running on whole numbers)

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016