homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Great Ship of Fools Hygiene Poll! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Great Ship of Fools Hygiene Poll!
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by this now-closed Heaven thread, this poll seeks to answer the pressing questions about Shipmate hygiene - including the immortal "how often do you change your towel?" question.

All responses are anonymous, so do feel free to be honest. It will be interesting to see what a clean bunch we all are (if, indeed, we really are...)

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee, I am 'cleaner' on the internet re- temp files than i am in my house.

And I don't care.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The aforesaid now closed heaven thread reminded me of this:-
Dilbert

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to be average. One of the few times in my life.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I say that I never do some stuff may I point out that it is because I am prevented from so doing by being a completely and totally spoilt brat.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I answered based on how often I run the dishwasher.......

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate baths, ever since I was a kid. I don't see the point. The longer you stay, the colder and dirtier the water gets.

I don't use a teatowel, I just leave my dishes to dry.

I don't know if vacuum cleaners exist in Brazil, if they do they must be rare.

And there isn't much of a point in washing my car. I might wash it today and drive into the rain forest again tomorrow.

quote:
Ann: The aforesaid now closed heaven thread reminded me of this:-
Dilbert

You remembered Dilbert comic from 1995? Wow.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I much prefer a bath to a shower. Relaxing in the warm bubbly water is a treat conceived in heaven. The best investment I ever made was one of those walk-in tubs.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
I answered based on how often I run the dishwasher.......

I remembered that some people don't have cars, but forgot that some people don't need teatowels because they have dishwashers. My bad [Hot and Hormonal] .

But yeah, I'd count using the dishwasher as doing the dishes. Just like I count using a clothes washing machine as doing the clothes, even though some people probably do still do them by hand.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re internet temporary files. There are none to clean up with a Linux system. Everything goes on shutdown / restart.

Re vacuuming. The dog does much of the floor cleaning. She'd wash the dishes too if we let her.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only 26% of shippies change their bedlinen weekly [Projectile]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The hoovering thing is going to be wrong because some of us sweep and mop only. (all wood floors plus a hatred of loud noises)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem is, some of them I don't do, they get done by others in the household, and the frequency is variable. How often do I do the dishes - every few days. But someone else does them more often.

Also, I don't like showers - I fear slipping if I am trying to stand with water around me. I wash daily, but it could look as if I don't. I do like baths, sitting and soaking the aches and dirt away.

And lets not talk about bedlinen - which is not my responsibility to change and wash.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Only 26% of shippies change their bedlinen weekly

Alternately, 26% of shippies unnecessarily waste water and time compulsively changing things that don't need changing.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dishes are washed after every meal in my house, just not necessarily by me. For dinner, I tend to be on left-over--tupperwearing detail followed by drying detail most days.

Also, for the showering, for me it's every morning (or I don't feel like I've properly gotten up), plus after each workout (hence the more than once per day).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been bathtub-less for ten years, having always lived in apartments with small bathrooms that only have space for a walk-in shower. It is a source of great sadness to me. Bathing is one of life’s pleasures. I do wash daily though (or more depending on my exercise schedule).

I agree that bedding needs to be changed weekly. What would Kim and Aggie say to you all [Biased] ?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a quick shower when I get up and a long, muscle relaxing bath after my workout every day.

I wash clothes more than once a day due to long dog walks and sweaty workouts.

All bedlinen is washed once a week just as my Mum taught me.

I change the tea towel more than once a day because OH is the cook and he's forever wiping garlicy and oniony hands on them!

I hoover about 3 times a day as I have two big dogs.

Computer clean up stuff I only do when it shouts at me.

My car is by far and away the dirtiest thing I own - totally neglected.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The problem is, some of them I don't do, they get done by others in the household

I envisaged the "you" being treated as shorthand for "your household". I guess I should have been more specific!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Schroedinger's cat: The problem is, some of them I don't do, they get done by others in the household
That's a problem?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm claustrophobic and don't usually shower as I don't like water spraying on my face. I do love a good soaking bath though.
But anyway, don't only dirty people wash? [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Schroedinger's cat: The problem is, some of them I don't do, they get done by others in the household
That's a problem?
It is a problem in answering the question as "me". And I actually don't know how often some things get changed.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hate baths, ever since I was a kid. I don't see the point. The longer you stay, the colder and dirtier the water gets.

Not if you keep the hot water tap running gentle throughout
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
leo: Not if you keep the hot water tap running gentle throughout
How do you keep the bath from overflowing? Do you open the drain too? Or do you open the tap so gently that the bath won't overflow?

(LOL, no hot taps in Brazil [Smile] . I think I've seen baths here, I guess what people do is boil water and mix it with cold water.)

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, yeah, our place is one of the grosser ones, but I'm posting our progress over on the decluttering thread.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never have a bath til you need one...
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder what the longest anyone has gone without a bath? Mine is 43 days.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that without a bath specifically, or without washing ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Without a bath I've gone for several decades [Smile] I sometimes go without a shower for up to 2–3 weeks, when I have to wash myself in rivers etc.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Is that without a bath specifically, or without washing ?

Without showering, without bathing, except for washing hands and a little bit of face. The 43 days were on a canoe trip during cold conditions.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, who never changes their underwear? Ewww! Sounds like time for a G.I Scrub!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe they go commando?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I much prefer a bath to a shower. Relaxing in the warm bubbly water is a treat conceived in heaven. The best investment I ever made was one of those walk-in tubs.

Me, too. But drought! [Waterworks]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Maybe they go commando?

[Cool]

Well done Ruth!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
The problem is, some of them I don't do, they get done by others in the household

I envisaged the "you" being treated as shorthand for "your household". I guess I should have been more specific!
If I am not the person doing something, I have no idea how often it is done. I don't notice such things.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The whole point of having staff is not having to notice these things!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which brings me to one of my favourite eavesdroppings.

We were a party going round Herrenchiemsee. We were being shown the royal bathroom - a replica of a Roman bath and so large you go down steps and walk across it. The guide was explaining that during the nine days King Ludwig had spent at the Palace, it had never actually been used (probably because you would need to drain a fair portion of the lake to fill it). Cue horrified American lady behind me - Nine days without a bath!

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You forgot to add sauna into the poll. Beats baths and showers.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I agree that bedding needs to be changed weekly. What would Kim and Aggie say to you all [Biased] ?

Aye! Clean sheets on a Sunday for a good night's kip before the week.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
leo: Not if you keep the hot water tap running gentle throughout
How do you keep the bath from overflowing? Do you open the drain too? Or do you open the tap so gently that the bath won't overflow?
the latter

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Maybe they go commando?

[Cool]

Well done Ruth!

[Roll Eyes] I shoulda known.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am pretty lackadaisical about most cleaning: I do tend to wash my new black Focus on weeks when it doesn't rain!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
The aforesaid now closed heaven thread reminded me of this:-
Dilbert

That is sooo disgusting.
We'll assume for a moment that people properly wash and have nor grime left on their body. The skin cells exfoliated onto the towel feed bacteria. If that isn't gross enough, is your toilet in the same room as your bath? If so, you are essentially wiping your clean body with dirty loo roll.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
If that isn't gross enough, is your toilet in the same room as your bath? If so, you are essentially wiping your clean body with dirty loo roll.

How does that work then?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Ad Orientem: How does that work then?
I think it mostly happens if you flush the toilet without putting the lid down. And that's the most I want to say about it half an hour before having lunch.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Way to get a cast iron immune system though.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Firenze: Way to get a cast iron immune system though.
If you want to have that, then I suggest to guard your toothbrush in the close neighbourhood of your toilet. (It also gives a nice extra taste.)

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

My toothbrush lives in a cup about four or five feet away from the toilet. Can't say I've ever noticed any "extra taste" to it, or for that matter any particular tendency towards the sort of illnesses one might expect to get were the scaremongering about such things true...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shower to get clean and bathe to relax and when I'm feeling decadent I might do both on the same day.
But only when I'm in the UK.
Here, it's a temperamental shower only, with a dodgy electricity supply which makes for an interesting experience. Someone we know here got electrocuted in the shower....best not to dwell on that or we'd never be clean!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

One of the livelier showers I've encountered was fitted to the exterior wall of a cabin we were renting. Nothing like standing on a late September morning with nothing between you and the Great Canadian Outdoors bar a couple of planks and a film of hot, soapy water.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So apparently, I'm a pig.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I wonder what the longest anyone has gone without a bath? Mine is 43 days.

you've got me beat - my longest backcountry trip (and therefore time spent "bathing" only in open streams or out of a morning kettle) was 25 days.

Fun fact! If you're in the backcountry with a group of people, it's best to make a "no soap" pact. thing is, if everyone is stinky together, no one notices it. But if one member of the team goes and scrubs up, suddenly everyone else can smell themselves and each other. It's best to co-ordinate bathing activities, then no one gets attacked by the smell.

as for washing the outside of my car - I'm in a rainforest. I think I've done it once. grand total. in the whole life of the car.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016