homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who is the master Master?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Who is the master Master?
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's time to decide once and for all.

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you explain what the question means? And, I've never heard of even one of the names in your list. No voting for me! [Tear]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends on what you accept as canon.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Can you explain what the question means? And, I've never heard of even one of the names in your list. No voting for me! [Tear]

Here.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realize this was about Dr. Who (about which I know absolutely nothing). The only name I'd heard of was Derek Jacobi, and I love his acting, so I voted for him.

I probably should have abstained, and I would have if I had known what it was about. Sorry!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Michelle Gomez, but then I don't fancy the rest so I may be biased.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted Delgado, the original one against paler copies. John Simm was also good though as he created his own style (Michelle Gomez was a good follow on from him).

[ 12. November 2014, 07:12: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loathed John Simm's Master, which is a shame as I love him as an actor.

Roger Delgado just had that lovely sinister politeness.

So I voted for him - the original and best.

Although generally lousy as an arch villain.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted for Peter Pratt/ Geoffrey Beevers, although, with all due respect to Mr Liz Shaw, I would have voted for Pratt on his own if the option had been there.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I voted Delgado and Gomez. If I thought that the Big Finish audio productions would have counted I would have gone for Beevers, that is why I commented on what was canan.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel that Delgado defined the role, and did it brilliantly. He defines the role in a way that none of the Doctor actors do.

I think John Simm did a good version of a more up to date psychotic doctor - he has always been, I think, slightly disturbed, and Simm is good at playing that. Michelle Gomez continues that line, seems to be doing well, and is an interesting re-invention of the role.

The problem is that some of the others - like Derek Jacobi - have not had much chance to explore the role. I love him as an actor*, and he did the role justice, but never really got to play the character properly.

*Ignoring the utterly dire Vicious.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delgado for me.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although Missy was fun, I could imagine Simm saying all of her lines, and making a stronger effect. Did anyone else feel that way?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Robert Armin: Although Missy was fun, I could imagine Simm saying all of her lines, and making a stronger effect. Did anyone else feel that way?
Yes, I had the same feeling sometimes. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jacobi - closely followed by Delgado in my estimation, then Gomez.

Jacobi's reveal was well written and superbly acted.
I suspect one thing working in his favour is that he wasn't around long enough for anyone to spoil his character with a bad script...

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
doubtingthomas
Shipmate
# 14498

- Posted      Profile for doubtingthomas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Robert Armin: Although Missy was fun, I could imagine Simm saying all of her lines, and making a stronger effect. Did anyone else feel that way?
Yes, I had the same feeling sometimes. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.
Strangely, I feel the opposite. Somehow her style works well for me, while I didn't like the similar interpretation played by John Simm.

(apologies for double post - changed my mind about replying)

--------------------
'We are star-stuff. We are the Universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out'
Delenn (Babylon 5)

Posts: 266 | From: A Small Island | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, if we change the question to which one chewed the most scenery in the shortest amount of time, Eric Roberts would be winning by a landslide...

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delgado, Simm & Gomez were all good, but I went for the Master from my childhood - Ainley.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I feel that Delgado defined the role, and did it brilliantly. He defines the role in a way that none of the Doctor actors do.

I think John Simm did a good version of a more up to date psychotic doctor - he has always been, I think, slightly disturbed, and Simm is good at playing that.

Agree with you on both points. I wavered between voting for Delgado or Simm, but went for Simm on the grounds that his performance had an edge of the unhinged about it, which made it ultimately more powerful a performance.
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does nobody like Eric?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved John Simm as the Master and thought the weird twisted intimacy between him and Tennant's Doctor was brilliant.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted for Derek Jacobi, a very fine actor. I have also heard of Eric Roberts. Doctor Who is fiendishly difficult to view in the US, as it must be recorded and then fast-forwarded to the next five minute segment!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

For the sake of completeness, where's Jonathan Pryce?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a feature film yet to be released?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delgado had that conquistador swagger that just defined the role of the Master. Delgado's Master was there to conquer and plunder the Earth whereas the Doctor was there to safeguard and shepherd. Not even Anthony Ainley could match that.
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

I'm watching the Daemons at the moment and the point where Delgado turns up as a vicar still made me go "whoa" even though I was expecting it. Middle Rogueling was not expecting it and she reacted the same way. Somehow he managed to pull off looking good and menacing at the same time. No doubt a dog collar helps.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
Delgado had that conquistador swagger that just defined the role of the Master. Delgado's Master was there to conquer and plunder the Earth whereas the Doctor was there to safeguard and shepherd. Not even Anthony Ainley could match that.

True. I always felt that Ainley was a sort of Delgado Lite.
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ticked Derek Jacobi because I hadn't heard of any of the other people. Not sure of the purpose of this poll.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Not sure of the purpose of this poll.

There is no great mystery. It is just a poll to see which actor shipmates preferred playing the part of the Master in Doctor Who. All the listed names are people who played the part at one time or another.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, I didn't connect the question with Dr Who. Maybe the question should have been clearer in its intent.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016