homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Assassin's Creed

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Assassin's Creed
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume that if we can have a Dr Who fan thread, then surely we can discuss the works of Ubisoft. (Please avoid spoilers on the recent releases if possible.)

So is anyone else playing AC: Unity, anyone playing AC: Rogue ? Which of the eight games do you think is the best of the franchise ? Did you find it odd Ubisoft got flack for having a male lead in Unity, when PS Vita's Liberation had strong female principle characters including the lead ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mrWaters
Shipmate
# 18171

- Posted      Profile for mrWaters   Email mrWaters   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh Assasin's Creed yearly Ubisoft's christmas release. I enjoyed its basic ideas, but mostly gave up on the franchise.

I played first and second to the completion, and then brotherhood (multiplayer mostly), was considering the Black Flag (boat mechanics look awesome) but didn't have enough time to play. From what I heard not much changed in the mechanics over the years. Free-running was enjoyable, for the first 20 hours or so.

Combat was so overpowered in every game. It was a child's play to murder your way out of every failed sneaking section. The story was getting weirder and weirder with every installment.

Another thing, the forced Desmond sections, so frustrating... Not being able to climb up the nearest cathedral... aghh

Posts: 80 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TV programme fan threads we certainly do, games fan threads tend to be more suited elsewhere, so hold tight, and you'll be swiftly transferred to the Circus, where you'll be free to climb up as many cathedrals as you can find.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved Brotherhood, even as an old game it was visually appealing and I was taken with being able to use the Da Vinci machines.

Black Flag I think was my favourite - the ship use was awesome - I read a lot of naval history novels (Hornblower, Aubrey, Ramage) so actually making visual sense of how you had to a manoeuvre the ship for a broadside etc was great fun. The portrayal of the Carribean was beautiful. I would recommend getting it if you have a ps3 or other suitable platform - even if it does end up taking you a year to finish. Its not so linear you can't dip in and out. The related DLC where you help with the slave revolt in Haiti is also very good.

Alot of people didn't like AC 3, set during the America war of independence. It was clunky in places, but had genuinely surprising twists in - also I'd never studied US history so I enjoyed the whistle stop tour and was surprised when I got betrayed by Benedict Arnold.

I am not far into Unity yet, so difficult to fully evaluate. As anyone interrested probably knows, it is set during the French revolution. They have ditched the Desmond type sections - which makes me very happy. The enviroment is insanely detailed, it will take me months to complete. You can get into a lot of interiors which a noticable change. The inside of Notra Dame is stunning, just things like the play of light through the stained glass windows, the painted ceiling.

They have changed to a much more customisable xp based system. It is slightly confusing, cos you make some purchases (ammo etc) in cash, some in a currency derived from your performance and some in an external currency called Helicies that you can earn or purchase from uplay.

You remain very powerful in combat, but you are much easier to kill than in Black Flag - there is a push to use stealth much more. The combat controls have been simplified, which I think is sensible. They have introduced a cover mechanic and you have a slow silent movement option too.

The were lots of press reports of technical faults in Unity at release, I downloaded the first patch at the sametime as the game and I haven't had any significant issues. I think reviewers got stuck in haystacks, got major game crashes etc - but that seems to have been fixed.

I think AC: Rogue is set in the same time period, but you play as a templar and it has retained the naval fighting from Black Flag - I hope to get a copy in December though I doubt I will have finished Unity by then.

[ 16. November 2014, 09:14: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Came to them late.
Liked 2.
Playing 1 afterwards you noticed the lack of variety, also I think had picked up bad habbits.

Brotherhood I enjoyed for a while, but got fed up of the fact it was always easier to die and try again than to plan/spend money or anything.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Have you played any of the more recent ones ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

( This amused me. )

--------------------

mrWaters
Shipmate
# 18171

- Posted      Profile for mrWaters   Email mrWaters   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
I would recommend getting it if you have a ps3 or other suitable platform - even if it does end up taking you a year to finish. Its not so linear you can't dip in and out. The related DLC where you help with the slave revolt in Haiti is also very good.

PC so I should be fine apart from the port issues. I'll wait till the Christmas sales on Steam and get a great bargain on it.

quote:
They have ditched the Desmond type sections - which makes me very happy. The enviroment is insanely detailed, it will take me months to complete. You can get into a lot of interiors which a noticable change. The inside of Notra Dame is stunning, just things like the play of light through the stained glass windows, the painted ceiling.

Desmond sections were so annoying. Great decision to cut them out of the game. The only thing that interested me in the Unity is the Revolutionary Paris. Looks amazing on the screenshots (apart from the visual bugs).

quote:
They have changed to a much more customisable xp based system. It is slightly confusing, cos you make some purchases (ammo etc) in cash, some in a currency derived from your performance and some in an external currency called Helicies that you can earn or purchase from uplay.

I'm proud to be old enough to remember times when cheats were free...
I still remember cheat books before internet. Ancient history...

Of course it's not only Unity, most of the AAA titles do the same, it still is a shame.

Posts: 80 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Assassins Creed is my Sunday morning recreation at the moment - it sets me up well for Church!

I liked the Ezio games a lot but was disappointed with Connor so I didn't rush out to buy Black Flag. I was thinking about getting it this Christmas but then discovered Unity in Tesco over the weekend. However, as I play on a PS3 I won't be able to play that one yet. I may get it on Steam at some point.

I'm not great at fighting and with Altair I always got stuck on the big battle in front of King Richard near the end but I have been working on this for the last few weeks - getting into as many battles with large numbers as possible - and yesterday morning I finally managed to duff them all up and went on to finish the game. I have finished all the others.

Is anyone sad enough to want to get 100% completion - ie find all the feathers, flags, etc etc?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started with II and absolutely loved it. Am a big fan of open-world games and was right up there with Red Dead Redemption as one of the best (both better than the Grand Theft Auto franchise). There are a few glitches in the catacomb challenges that make them ultra frustrating as Ezio just randomly jumps off in a different direction to the one instructed.

I tried to do the original, but after 3 days of knocking over ladies carrying jars, I found I just couldn't get past the opening tutorial, so it took the disc out and snapped it in anger.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have 1 & 2 but I have only ever managed to play them for a few days before becoming bored and moving back into Skyrim for a holiday. Not really my cup of tea which is odd as I like all the components - sandbox play, random violence, good backstory - just not the way they are put together in AC.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I think Skyrim is a couple of generations ahead of 1 & 2 tech wise which may be why. Black Flag is very good, especially if you are interested in the Age of Pirates - available on ps3 and ps4. Rogue is being released in parallel to Unity - for the ps3. Might suit you The Rogue [Smile]

I really enjoy the alternative history elements myself. And that the enviornments are so colourful and light, unlike x million dystopia based games.

There is a great cut scene in Unity where you are talking to the Marquis De Sade, and a couple of goats wander past the end of the sofa. I like a bit of humour ...

(I did replay Black Flag to get my hundred percent synch [Hot and Hormonal] And cos I got addicted to the Sea Shanties.)

[ 17. November 2014, 18:07: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016