homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you could travel back in time... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: If you could travel back in time...
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would you? If so, where would you go and what would you do?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First port of call would be London at the turn of the last century - 1890-1900ish. Equipped with a small, discreet camera I could get some wonderful photo opportunities on a stroll through the centre and enjoying seeing what had and hadn't changed between now and then. Some shopping, as well. Books, and maybe that parasol I've always wanted.

A bit further back in the 16th century I'd be seeing a Shakespeare play performed for the first time. Ideally one where the author was present.

Medieval Oxford would be interesting to see too - many of the current colleges wouldn't exist, and some would be known by different names. I'd love to see how the town had changed.

Still in London, but now back in Roman times, safely after Boudicca had set fire to the city and all the fuss was over, a wander around Roman London to get an idea of what the newly built capital-to-be looked like.

And of course, like a lot of people, I'd want to see how Stonehenge was really built and why.

That would do for starters, before I began travelling abroad...

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'd go back to a time when my Dad was still alive so that I could see him once more

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are many obscure bits of the Middle Ages I'd like to see. But I'd be interested in a trip into the future too!

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are going back to the past, before departure consider:
*Getting -all- available inoculations, including the obscure diseases that nobody much gets any more.
*Getting all your dental work done. White fillings, only! Also, if you wear eyeglasses, get that cataract/retina operation so that you can do without them. You do not want to be explaining to that Roman centurion what your prescription Ray Bans are.
*Packing gold coins. Canadian loonies or South African krugerrands would do. Ingots, not so useful but better than nothing.
*Renovating your wardrobe. Remember you want to pass, unremarked. Consult the SCA for garment sources. You may be forced to learn to sew. Buy leather sandals from Ebay, again shopping carefully for how things -look-. Consider dressing like a monk or a peasant.
*Acquiring a secret medical kit. This should fit under all your clothing, and include antibiotics, sterile wipes, and a needle and thread, plus a plentiful supply of all the meds you have to take. Show this to nobody and share it with no one.

Do not bring anything that will need recharging, even if you have solar. Do not bring anything plastic, aluminum or nylon. Oh! And learn to ride and drive if you can, otherwise you are doomed to shank's mare.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry, Brenda. We assume that our Tardises, or other time machines, will be suitably equipped with appropriate costumes and accessories, etc etc.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warder at the Tower of London where I could quietly observe Tudor's minions performing the murder of Gloucester's nephews thus removing some live obstacles to his usurping the Crown after said minions had slew the Last King of the English.

In this way I could be sure, even if others continued to believe Tudor and his spin doctors.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
A bit further back in the 16th century I'd be seeing a Shakespeare play performed for the first time. Ideally one where the author was present.

It would be even better if the author were playing one of the roles.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I would go to Byzantium at its peak and try and find the secret of Greek Fire. It would be wonderful to see Hagia Sophia in all its glory.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of along Kitten's line my first thought was to go back and be nicer to my mother, but now Ariel has me thinking of tourist attractions. I, too, would love to go to a few big parties during the Gilded Age but I would choose New York. I would plan to go to some of the same house parties as Edith Wharton.

I would save my trip to England for the Regency period and rent a house next to Jane Austen's family. I hear she made fun of her neighbors in some of her books, but I would be honored to be so used.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If going back more than 150 or so years, I would stand upwind from everyone, and not too close. They are all smelly and have fleas, even if some found this sexy.

quote:
John Donne, link to:"The Flea"
Mark but this flea, and mark in this,
How little that which thou deniest me is ;
It suck'd me first, and now sucks thee,
And in this flea our two bloods mingled be....

Other than that, I would arrange for day care socialization and mental health care for Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun, rather quite a number of EFG royalty*, several prime ministers, grand poohbahs and presidents of various countries. Or I'd get the fleas to mingle up all their blood.

I'd also arrange for the non-extinction of the passenger pigeon, the great auk, the auroch, various species of moa, and Neandertals. I'd particularly like to introduce Neandertals to some of the grandees mentioned in the previous paragraph. I'm sure they have much in common.

*EFG=English, French and German

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are SF stories about the tremendous crush of time-traveling tourists at the Crucifixion (Moorcock, "Behold the Man" is one, I believe) or in the Forum in Rome on the Ides of March. some more witty ones involve the intrusive time traveler who went to intercept the Person from Porlock, only to discover that he really was that person.

The theory and practice of time travel is much discussed and worked on in the genre; I've done it myself and will again.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
There are SF stories about the tremendous crush of time-traveling tourists at the Crucifixion ...

I am reminded of Spike's comment in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (although I am paraphrasing): "If every vampire who claims to have been at the Crucifixion was actually there, the place would have been like bloody Woodstock!"

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serious:

I would like to go back in my own life and um, fix some mistakes.

I would like to visit ancient Alexandria and see the library.

I would like to visit the Ancient Wonders of the World (and take pictures).

Whimsical:

I would like to back to the Golden Age of Hollywood and try to make it in show business as a song-and-dance man, or a Latin Lover type.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
Serious:

I would like to go back in my own life and um, fix some mistakes.

This.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread got me to thinking more. I found my copy of Irving Layton's book For My Brother Jesus.

His poem "Adam" starts "I wish we could go back to the beginning" and then lists a series of things in history, back to the beginning. He then writes: "There's only God and myself in the cool first evening in Eden discussing his fantastic creation.... we talk softly and for a long time and very, very carefully."

Maybe this is too far back? Can I be Adam with all of my ribs still intact, and ask the Big Guy a few poignant questions? Or do I have to ask the Trinity?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I second the trip to Hagia Sophia! AD 900, after the Iconoclastic Controversies and before the Fourth Crusade.

Tenochtitlan in 1450 (maybe on a non-sacrificing day) to see one of the largest cities in the world before its fall to Cortez.

My house, AD 1750, to see what this area was like before European settlement.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Warder at the Tower of London where I could quietly observe Tudor's minions performing the murder of Gloucester's nephews ...

[Killing me] Right on, Uncle Pete!

Having said that, if I could go back, I think I'd want to meet some of the musicians who flourished under the Tudors and Stuarts, in particular William Byrd, Orlando Gibbons and Thomas Tallis.

And on the same lines as Ariel's Stonehenge exploration, if my inter-chronological Oyster card had enough left on it, I'd go to Stone Age Orkney and find out what the Standing Stones were all about.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The library at Alexandria with auto translation. A side trip to the workshop that built the Antikythera Mechanism.
Stopping in for a performance of Lysistrata and one of the Tempest.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd quite like to see some of the natural world which we have lost, to see the giant moa, the dodo, the original flora and fauna of New Zealand and all those places before introduced species wiped them out. And mammoths
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to hear Beethoven play the piano. Beethoven includes fingerings in his manuscripts that are monstrously, absurdly difficult, to the point of being practically unplayable, even by the greatest concert pianists. Question: was Beethoven really that gifted that he could play them or was he just trying to intimidate the opposition?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every one of these excellent ideas needs an addendum: "... and take along a camera so that other people can see and hear it too when I come back."

I'd like to see those rural places that have since vanished under the spreading cities, particularly the ones that I know well in the present. (For some reason the small hamlet of Heathrow has always held a romantic spot in my imagination.)

And I'd go back to 1963 with a VCR, rent a flat on a lease of 6 or 7 years so it could just be left undisturbed, and video every missing episode of Dr Who.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, here in 2130, we can travel back in time. I chose to travel back to here, just before....

Oh sorry, I can't say. You don't know yet.

As you were.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had an idea, inspired by the short story, Let's go to Golgoltha!, that the mystery of who built the pyramids is solved by time travel.

What happened was that people were intrigued by ancient Egypt (though in their timeline, there were no pyramids), travelled back in time and were enslaved by the Egyptians. The Egyptians then used these time travelling slaves to build the pyramids, which stimulated further interest by later time travellers (now on a different timeline) and this then builds in a loop.

So the size and slendour of the pyramids is proportional to the number of iterations of generations of time travellers who have gone back to find out how they were built.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice to go back to my early twenties and fix some of the 'if onlys'

On the other hand, it would wreak havoc with my present-day life so maybe not a good idea.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
I'd like to see those rural places that have since vanished under the spreading cities, particularly the ones that I know well in the present. (For some reason the small hamlet of Heathrow has always held a romantic spot in my imagination.)

Have you been to the Museum of London? They have many excellent things, one of which is a small display in a glass case of a model Boeing on the runway at Heathrow. As you look, the modern scene slowly fades out to be replaced by Iron Age huts and people of the time... then back again. They also tell you about some of the finds dug up during construction of the airport.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd certainly nip back to my 15 year old self with the following pieces of advice:

1. the worst she's likely to say is "no". OK, it might be "get lost" or "I'd rather stick my legs in a blender" but it means "no".
2. you'll get over it.
3. if she does say that, you'll be Not Going Out With Her, just like you are now, so no loss.

Then I'd nip back to 500AD and scout around to find out if King Arthur ever existed. Oh, and I'd be able to record the otherwise virtually unattested British and proto-Welsh languages, not to mention Pictish and Cumbric.

Then I'd bounce back to the 21st century trying to pick up any evidence whatsoever that the so-called Cumbric Scores were real and not invented in the late 19th century by someone having a laugh.

And expose Iolo Morgannwg at the time, rather than letting everyone find out it was bollocks later.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have stayed in southern California and finished my degree before leaving my parents house, even if we had to raise our daughter there until she was ready for school and my wife and I had good jobs!

I would have spent more time talking to my dad in his final years and I would have written a book about his ship in World War II.

I would have spent more time with my mother also.

I would have saved more money and made wiser investments when I was young...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would go to a time early in Microsoft's existence, and tell my younger self to invest in shares. Also, to invest in Apple shares when they nearly collapse.

I would also tell myself at that time that the church would fuck me over, so just give it a miss, and get laid. It wouldn't kill me, and it might make me happier.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

And here we open one of the major cans of paradox worms with TT. If you go back to give wisdom to your younger self (and always assuming that that dozy berk will even be sober enough to listen), that will change the past -- change you. Will you then be the same person that you are now? And, if you change so drastically (sitting on a pile of Apple stock dividends), then will you even wish to go back in time and talk to your younger self? And, if you do not, then what happens to the alteration in time?

--------------------

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a duck goes back in time and meets itself then you have a time travel pair'o'ducks.

If the time machine also includes the ability to travel in space - other than the minimum needed to keep you in the same relative position on a spinning planet orbiting a sun that is orbiting a galaxy that is moving through the universe - then travel to other worlds becomes possible. I'd like to see all the planets of the solar system, starting with Mars. Also to hide behind the rocks and watch Apollo 11 land.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In 1889 I would stop by an asylum in Auvers-sur-Oise, and buy a lot of paintings from one of the inmates.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only if I could take my dentist with me!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And here we open one of the major cans of paradox worms with TT. If you go back to give wisdom to your younger self (and always assuming that that dozy berk will even be sober enough to listen), that will change the past -- change you. Will you then be the same person that you are now? And, if you change so drastically (sitting on a pile of Apple stock dividends), then will you even wish to go back in time and talk to your younger self? And, if you do not, then what happens to the alteration in time?

Easier to resolve than you might imagine. Consider the many worlds solution to quantum indeterminacy - I go back in time, I find my younger self, I advise him. He may take my advice, he may not. In universes where he doesn't, his course is not changed and he learns the wisdom the hard way to impart to his former self. In universes where he does, he is changed and does not return. It's not a problem, though, because the point at which the future me enters the timeline is before these universes split off from each other, so both sets of universes are potential futures for a me who has learnt the hard way to return from to impart advice.

Alternatively, the wiser future me returns because he recalls the visit and wants to make sure it happened.

The former resolution also resolves the going back and shooting my grandfather paradox, of course. Trousers of time and all that. If I change one leg, a future me can still return from the unchanged leg to the indeterminate flies.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some of the 'must see' sights have been mentioned already.

I'd like to stroll around Elizabethan London, I think - and also London before the Great Fire of 1666.

I'd be quite interested in visiting my home town before it existed ...

I'd be interested in strolling around through Regency English countryside and also having a look at things in 1913 -- pre WW1.

I'm not quite sure how I'd go about finding out what was going on but I'd also like to visit Britain in the last years of Roman rule and then visit at 50 year intervals to see how and why things changed ... and why urban life apparently ended so abruptly as the coinage collapsed ...

A visit to the various standing stones and prehistoric sites would be fascinating too, I think.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Palimpsest. I suggest the library at Alexandria (and photograph/photocopy everything). Likewise I suggest the Cotton library before the fire (undamaged Beowulf) and the London Museum before the Nazis bombed it. I wouldn't stay long at any of these. There are probably more.

(There is a theme involved here and I have notes on a planned science fiction story.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite ideas have already been well covered (Shakespeare and Austen) but I have got one idea that hasn't come up yet: Ancient Greece. Provided you weren't a slave (or a woman) wouldn't it be great to sit at the feet of Plato, or any of the early philosophers? And you could work on your tan at the same time!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:

That really only applies if it were actually possible. Yes there are a whole lot of potential paradoxes (I use them occasionally in my writing) that need to find a resolution, however I would probably not care being a)extremely rich and b) having had piles of fantastic sex in my early life.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Don't be a female, then. Or a person of color.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I definitely agree with the Hagia Sophia and opening day of a Shakespeare play.

Closer to the present, I'd like to return to my wedding day so I could answer "Hell, no!" and leave him at the Altar. (Or at least break things off before it got to that point.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda... what the hell is 'a person of color'? Apart from the fact you can't spell the word correctly in English...

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's spelling it correctly for American English, and a 'person of color' is the American equivalent of saying 'somebody from an ethnic minority'.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Racist!

--------------------
Simples!

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are you insulting me ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

Not you, Think2! Brenda.

--------------------
Simples!

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK, why are you insulting her ?

--------------------

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

Commenting on someone being racist is not insulting them. Fed up with the sniping in this place. Closing my login!

--------------------
Simples!

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 choices:
1) St Thomas Leipzig to hear on of Bach's cantatas premiered -- maybe even one of the Passions. Given the amount of time in which he turned them out, and some of the uncomplimentary things he said about his pupils, AND the difficulty of the works, one imagines that they sounded pretty scrappy. And those gut strings, and the trumpeters who were the night watchmen. OY!

2) Salzburg Cathedral to find out how Mozart managed to get a complete high mass over in 45 minutes, and what a mess the liturgics must have been.

OK, I admit it. I'm a geek.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gamaliel: I'm not quite sure how I'd go about finding out what was going on but I'd also like to visit Britain in the last years of Roman rule and then visit at 50 year intervals to see how and why things changed ...
I like the 50 year hops idea; I'd like to do that into the future too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to go back in the past and see some of NZ's now extinct native birds including Moa, Poukai (a huge eagle) and Huia [Tear]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016