homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you could travel back in time... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: If you could travel back in time...
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Commenting on someone being racist is not insulting them. Fed up with the sniping in this place. Closing my login!

Meerkat, failing to comprehend cultural difference makes you no advertisement for tolerance.

Flounce if you wish.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that is actually a worthwhile idea, and would get you past all this difficulty with krugerrands and the color of your skin. Photos, of dinosaurs. And if they're feathered, a feather.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rewind my life back to my trip to England in 2008, email a dear john letter to my place of employment at the time, and f'in stay in Portsmouth.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I'd rewind my life back to my trip to England in 2008, email a dear john letter to my place of employment at the time, and f'in stay in Portsmouth.

Stay in Portsmouth??? [Ultra confused]

Why-o-why-o-why?

Nah. Go along the coast a little to Southampton. Much better people.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone says that. I loved Portsmouth. Reminded me of Berkeley, CA.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Now that is actually a worthwhile idea, and would get you past all this difficulty with krugerrands and the color of your skin. Photos, of dinosaurs. And if they're feathered, a feather.

I'd be reluctant to take a Huia feather. Huia feathers were prized among Maori and someone in the 1900s gave one to visiting royalty sparking a fashion for them amongst Pakeha ( people of European descent). This contributed to their extinction. Maybe I'd just stop the initial feather being handed over.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everyone says that. I loved Portsmouth. Reminded me of Berkeley, CA.

I had a holiday in Portsmouth once many years ago and liked it so much I went back several times over the next few years. The place has its downside, but it can be quite an interesting place to be and a good base for exploring the south coast. I got altogether less out of Southampton. </tangent>
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd like to meet:

1. The Bloomsbury Group.
2. Joan of Arc
3. Hildegarde of Bingen
4. Gerard Manley Hopkins, SJ

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
I think I'd like to meet:

1. The Bloomsbury Group.
2. Joan of Arc
3. Hildegarde of Bingen

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! to all of these, but I would replace Hopkins with the Algonquin Round Table.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go back to Greenwich Village 1960, and become a big star by stealing all Bob Dylan's songs before he had a chance to write them.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

I'd be reluctant to take a Huia feather. Huia feathers were prized among Maori and someone in the 1900s gave one to visiting royalty sparking a fashion for them amongst Pakeha ( people of European descent). This contributed to their extinction. Maybe I'd just stop the initial feather being handed over.
I think this is an interesting addition to the discussion of changing the past, that something as small as the gift of a feather can change the destiny of a species.

I like the idea of visiting pre-fire London, that appeals to me the most. I might visit Long Melford in Suffolk while I'm around, to get some tips on being a local Tudor for re-enactment purposes..

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

But with time travel, no species need ever be extinct, just temporarily and temporally inconvenienced. So, don't just bring back a Huia feather, bring back a breeding couple of Huias!

Having, of course, prepared a suitable habitat for them in the present, which you researched via earlier (or possibly later) time jaunts.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having stashed my Van Goghs, I am now making my way through 17th century Amsterdam to the house of Mynheer van Rijn....
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My PhD would have been soooooo much better, more accurate, more nuanced, if I could have gone back 150 years and carried out a few interviews....

Firstly I'd go back to Edinburgh, 18th May 1843, and watch the Disruption procession.

Then I'd dot about Aberdeen at various dates between 1843 and 1901 just soaking it all in; I'd be veiled so that I could see without being seen, as it were, an anonymous woman on the streets, watching the people, the clothes, the shops, the schools, the bustle.

I might also pop back to my village circa 1908, round about the time my church's Bassendine Bible went AWOL and find out what happened to it.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anything, I'd go back and meet my grandfather. I know, looking at photos, that I resemble him more than any other relative. As he died 2 years before I was born, I never knew him and can only rely on what my mother tells me.

I'd go back to when he was young man, before he took part in the D Day landings (which we know he did, but he never spoke of what he did or witnessed) and just spend an evening with him in the pub, playing cards.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Having stashed my Van Goghs, I am now making my way through 17th century Amsterdam to the house of Mynheer van Rijn....

I think I'll save my TT tickets for the Bloomsbury group -- now that I've been given the idea -- and just go to Firenze's house in present time to look at her art collection.
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
St Thomas Leipzig to hear on of Bach's cantatas premiered -- maybe even one of the Passions.

That's where I'm going, too! [Big Grin]

I want to talk organ stuff with old Bach. Maybe have a lesson or two and check some fingering. And I want to see if there was a child named David.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
If anything, I'd go back and meet my grandfather. I know, looking at photos, that I resemble him more than any other relative. As he died 2 years before I was born, I never knew him and can only rely on what my mother tells me.

Yes! In my case my maternal grandfather died four years before I came along. Mom also told me how I'd inherited a lot from his looks and personality. He led an amazingly fascinating life, all over the world, and I have always regretted not having known him. He would have made a wonderful grandpa.
[Tear]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

Then I'd dot about Aberdeen at various dates between 1843 and 1901 just soaking it all in; I'd be veiled so that I could see without being seen, as it were, an anonymous woman on the streets, watching the people, the clothes, the shops, the schools, the bustle.

I'm now picturing you as Madame Vastra from Doctor Who...

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like somehow to go back to my own christening and tell my parents to take a photograph of my godmother Joanna, after whom I was named, and who died shortly afterwards. For some reason they were just interested in the baby... [Disappointed]

Assuming that the TT included a Babel fish or something similar, I would also like to go back to the time of Pharaoh Hatshepsut to find out what relations between her and Tuthmosis III were really like. If I could come back also knowing how Ancient Egyptian really was spoken, that would be cool.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

In early Victorian Chelsea, JMW Turner opens the door to a woman with a wheelbarrow....
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The library at Alexandria, just before the fires (several trips)
The villa of scrolls in the Bay of Naples, August 79 AD
The place the Irish Druids kept their Ogham records before Patrick got at them
The library of the Thomasine church in India, before the missionaries got at their documents
The Chinese books destroyed by the first Emperor.
Somebody with a copy of the book by Pappias (?) that my friend keeps on about, with its interviews with the apostles, or people who knew the apostles.
People who could translate Linear A and Cretan hieroglyphics
Timbuktu libraries before the current lot of idiots started burning

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
In early Victorian Chelsea, JMW Turner opens the door to a woman with a wheelbarrow....

Back in 2014, Firenze is trying to convince a sceptical art dealer of the merits of these pictures by two obscure artists. The pictures aren't without artistic merit, but nobody's heard of them in the intervening centuries since they were painted. He offers her £25 for the lot, but can't be persuaded to take any pictures by the bloke in the lunatic asylum.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I didn't say I was buying all their stuff - just a few late works. And I need the wheelbarrow: Turner wasn't exactly a miniaturist when it came to oils.

Anyway, must dash: I'm seeing a Mr Constable at 1830.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

Yes! In my case my maternal grandfather died four years before I came along. Mom also told me how I'd inherited a lot from his looks and personality. He led an amazingly fascinating life, all over the world, and I have always regretted not having known him. He would have made a wonderful grandpa.
[Tear]

Hm. My grandma Addy-- who apparently was a force of nature-- and my great great grand- aunt who founded the field hospital that eventually became Santa Rosa General Hospital.

[ 13. November 2014, 22:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Commenting on someone being racist is not insulting them. Fed up with the sniping in this place. Closing my login!

This was the first post I read this morning, and I was about to post "Wow", but refrained, thinking I was so dopey I'd missed something. But now, seeing it again, I would have been right. Wow!

As for me I would love to be able to go back a few thousand years and see how the neanderthals were getting on. I'd have to have a decent time machine which could get me back to present, so it should be good enough for me to be able to stop every few hundred years and see how homo sapiens was doing in comparison to his neanderthal cousins.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go back to the time before World War One and talk my grandparents out of taking up smoking. I miss them. Only my paternal grandmother lived beyond her seventies...

(My aunt just turned ninety: like her mother she never smoked.)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

I might also pop back to my village circa 1908, round about the time my church's Bassendine Bible went AWOL and find out what happened to it.

That's easy...pinched by a time traveller to keep it safe from being stolen (or something)
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I would go back and visit Guttenberg, and get him to print me a special copy of his bible.

And no, not for money making purposes, but because it represents one of the most important changes to society ever. To actually have one would send me into orgasmic delight.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I could time travel, I would go back two minutes to say Hello.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Actually, thinking of things that no longer exist, I've always wanted to see the Crystal Palace and ideally the Exhibition of 1851. I was quite disappointed as a child when my father told me it had burnt down in 1936.
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Actually, thinking of things that no longer exist, I've always wanted to see the Crystal Palace and ideally the Exhibition of 1851.

My preference would be for the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and the Colossus of Rhodes.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Nah. They'll be packed full of tourists with timed tickets.
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to visit Detroit when it was still French. And I also would like to see Hagia Sophia back in the day. I might also turn up with Kelly at the Algonquin Round Table.

As for biblical events, I would not like to see the Crucifixion. Sounds too gory and disturbing. I would want to go hear the Sermon on the Mount, or maybe witness the feeding of the multitudes or something like that. Or turn up at Mamre on a particular day. But even the most advanced time machine could probably not pinpoint any of those events, assuming they literally happened.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I wish you'd stayed too Kelly. Also, will back Portsmouth on the Portsmouth vs Southampton stakes, despite an SO postcode...

When I was a kid, there was a series of history books - 'the time travellers guide to...' and the time traveller was a little ?boy? who floated over scenes, with illustrated diagrams of what they could see. I had, I think, a medieval one.

I think I'd like to float* over where I live now at several points in time. I'd start perhaps several thousand years ago, expecting to find it empty, and then see how things changed by regular drop ins every two hundred years or so, but I'd be most interested in about 1200-1500. The old village church would have recognisable bits (although part of a bigger settlement than now), and the nearby Abbey would be fairly recognisable. I imagine that some of the farms I know now would have older sites, but I'd like to see where the people lived, what they looked like. If I could get close enough to listen to them - perhaps singing in church on a sunday, or something - then I'd be intrigued.

I'd love to see the great medieval cathedrals - well, in particular, Durham - being built. Go back to the day when someone said 'we're going to build something <<<< this big >>>> on top of that bit of rock there. Of course we can do it, I saw it over when I was Crusading.'

I'd like do 'the van gogh thing' from Doctor Who, and let some of those 'greats' from history who didn't die knowing that they'd have a legacy how they would be respected. But I'd like to know an ordinary person too, because the names we will never know which have faded into obscurity deserve recognition too.

For entirely selfish purposes, I wouldn't mind going to ask an older version of me what I thought I could have done better with my life so I could attempt to set it right. There are a number of choices I'm making with my life now that I wonder if I'll regret later, but I'd like to find out.

*Of course, by floating, I'd avoid as much odour and dodgy diseases as possible.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
...]But with time travel, no species need ever be extinct, just temporarily and temporally inconvenienced. So, don't just bring back a Huia feather, bring back a breeding couple of Huias!

Having, of course, prepared a suitable habitat for them in the present, which you researched via earlier (or possibly later) time jaunts.

I'd love to do that with the dodo, but that would mean single-handedly destroying the Mauritian touristy nick-nack trade.

Arachnid, owner of a dodo mug...a brass dodo...a dodo keyring... a fluffy dodo... dodo letter opener...you get the idea.

Ooh, maybe I'd visit the Synod of Whitby and watch Abbess Hilda crack some heads.

[ 14. November 2014, 15:01: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
If I could time travel, I would go back two minutes to say Hello.

Smartass.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble with reading the rest of this thread is that I now want to go

EVERYWHERE!

I'll settle for watching Bradman to see just how good he really was... perhaps batting against Nuncargate's finest, Harold Larwood?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Kelly Alves: Smartass.
One day, you'll wish that you can travel back in time and take that back.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, I'd like to see the crucifixion and one of the resurrection appearances. But I am haunted by the fear that Jesus would suddenly look across the crowd and say, "What are YOU doing here, instead of where I put you?" [Hot and Hormonal] At which point I'd feel like a naughty child sent to the principal's office.

That aside, though, I'd like to visit and if possible live among the Cherokee pre-1700 or so.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he'd be more likely to say, “Put your finger here and look at my hands! Put your hand into my side. Stop doubting and have faith!”

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
yes, I'd like to see the crucifixion and one of the resurrection appearances. But I am haunted by the fear that Jesus would suddenly look across the crowd and say, "What are YOU doing here, instead of where I put you?" [Hot and Hormonal] At which point I'd feel like a naughty child sent to the principal's office.

I think he'd smile and wink at you. Isn't The Word the ultimate time traveler?
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I suspect that he might decide to do things differently from what you expect, just to mess with your mind.

There was that sense that he always refused to offer the "proof" that people wanted. I think he would continue to do that. Maybe the stories we have are him avoiding showing proof to a time traveller from a different time-line.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be honest, I'd hate to go back in time to Calvary, just in case hordes of PSA-believing Con-Evos were there, all blissfully murmuring "Thank you, Jaysis" instead of being appalled at what they saw.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Oscar the Grouch: To be honest, I'd hate to go back in time to Calvary, just in case hordes of PSA-believing Con-Evos were there, all blissfully murmuring "Thank you, Jaysis" instead of being appalled at what they saw.
i would try to keep people from crucifying Him. If that wouldn't get them angry at me, then I don't know what would.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Actually, I suspect that he might decide to do things differently from what you expect, just to mess with your mind.

There was that sense that he always refused to offer the "proof" that people wanted. I think he would continue to do that. Maybe the stories we have are him avoiding showing proof to a time traveller from a different time-line.

Yeah, that's the Jesus I know. Definitely messing with my mind! And normally in a direction entirely different than any of the possible responses I've thought of myself. [Ultra confused]

... which is why I'd be really a bit hesitant about approaching him in such a situation. He's definitely not somebody you can have taped, and his responses to egotistical people all too often send them yelping away.

[ 15. November 2014, 22:24: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of people have mentioned scanning history in (say) 50 yr hops. I wonder if there's something egoistic in my assuming that 1265 might have been quite a lot like 1315...whereas 1965-2015 would be a really big jump with all sorts of detail missing which would make it hard to hold onto the threads.

It reminds me of once trying to drive 500 miles from LA to SF on 'the small roads' ( [Big Grin] ) and sensing that to me, an outsider, California was pretty self-similar - whereas I can find a lot of (geographic, linguistic, cultural) variety around my city on a pushbike, in a 50 mile trip.

(This would not have worked in Essex, where I grew up, which to me is more like CA / the 14th century [Big Grin] ).

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect so.
But a lot of the changes are now familiar and you'd notice the changes from the big step more (and know the backstories for your time).

So you'd look at the church and go 'oh it's got a clock now'.
Whereas they'd go Music's loud and discorded, not really appreciate the difference between interweb and tv/arpanet* etc...

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

(This would not have worked in Essex, where I grew up, which to me is more like CA / the 14th century [Big Grin] ).

Dengie boy, are we? [Big Grin]

I ccan think of one of my ancestors I'd like to travel back in time to meet, if only to find out where the bloody hell he vanished to in 1832 - he just disappears from the records, no burial, no nothing.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016