homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Downton Abbey Christmas special

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Downton Abbey Christmas special
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what would you like to see in this year's Christmas special - given the shock endings we have had in the past, I've been trying to find out on line. But what I would like to see - the return of Edith's fiancee, not dead after all, turning up on Christmas Eve?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An airship crashes onto the house in the middle of the Christmas party, destroying everything and leaving Hugh Bonneville to gaze at the smoking ruins.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....with daleks appearing through the smoke.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Matthew Crawford returning from the grave.

It's time Thomas had a love affair - might make him easier to have around.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
....with daleks appearing through the smoke.

Can't be done - they're BBC!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mary and Tom to realise they adore each other. Two-fold result: Tom stays at Downton and Mary is no longer part of what the Radio Times described as "the most boring love triangle since Pythagoras said to Mrs Pythagoras 'Look at the hypotenuse on that!'"

And, yes, the return of Edith's fiancé would be a nice surprise.

Things to get sorted for Mr and Mrs Bates and for them to start on a rather more cheerful storyline involving babies and roses round a cottage door. For both of them to be imprisoned for suspected murder is immensely boring and known in the trade as Using The Same Gag Twice. [Roll Eyes] [Snore]

Lord Grantham to get a new puppy for Christmas. I suggest he calls it something like Honey. [Biased]

Nen - Downton Idealist. [Axe murder]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's about time Carson and Mrs Hughes realized their deeper feelings. If one of them doesn't say something soon it'll all turn into "Remains of the Day."
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
Lord Grantham to get a new puppy for Christmas.

Which makes a nice change from turkey.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the credits come up at the end, with no warning at all, and not even a voice over,

"That was the last Downton ever"

Followed possibly by some bits about the future like they have in films like,

"Though by then over 70 Lord Grantham enlisted in 1939 and arranged to be killed in action so as to save death duties. He was succeeded by his grandson George who survived the war and developed the estate as a theme park."

"The young Sybil scandalised the family by becoming a GI Bride in 1944. One of her descendants was implicated in American funding of the IRA through an off shore company in Haiti".

"Lord Matt, the present Lord Grantham, is the well known music promoter behind the label Pop Crawls. His sixth wife is the Turkish model Poppy Seed"

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

YES!! [Big Grin]
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
When the credits come up at the end, with no warning at all, and not even a voice over,

"That was the last Downton ever"

Followed possibly by some bits about the future like they have in films like

Mr Bates and Anna eventually cleared their names and decided to make a clean break, so they emigrated to the US where they opened a motel in a small town. They had one son, then John died quite young. Anna brought up young Norman alone and struggled to make a success of the motel.
Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barrow makes another pass at Jimmy; this time Jimmy does not spurn his attentions. The two leave Downton and set up house in York, where by chance they encounter Alfred one evening -- he became disillusioned as a chef at the Ritz. The three pool their money to take a lease on a vacant pub, and open a highly successful "gentlemen's" bar.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILER ALERT!

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It's about time Carson and Mrs Hughes realized their deeper feelings. If one of them doesn't say something soon it'll all turn into "Remains of the Day."

Well, that turned out to be prophetic, Ariel! [Big Grin]

I nearly needed a tissue once or twice - particularly at the Sybil Moment - but managed just by sniffing hard.

As for Mr and Mrs Bates playing Box and Cox with a prison cell, that's verging on the comical. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - who very much hopes Tom hasn't left for good but fears it may be so... [Frown]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fast forward a few years and little George gets an almighty crush on little Marigold, and Marigold falls pregnant out of wedlock.
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hooray. That was my favourite bit.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now try the spoof
(part one of two).

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Now try the spoof
(part one of two).

Oh, thank you for that - hilarious!

(But I don't think I shall ever be able to look at Molesley again without thinking of those tattoos...)

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Now try the spoof
(part one of two).

Oh, thank you for that - hilarious!

(But I don't think I shall ever be able to look at Molesley again without thinking of those tattoos...)

x 2.

That was great. Thanks.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks. That link has gone out to several friends.

Much better than the real thing. Particularly good when Julian Fellowes appears at the end of part 2.

It is indeed a Wonderful Life.

[ 03. January 2015, 09:20: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016