homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Best rock band, ever (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Best rock band, ever
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Long suffering readers will recall a similar thread about TV shows in which Erin came up with one of the best posts ever, IMNSHO. But enough name dropping.

Today I'll go with the Eagles who, after a sabbatical, came back and came up with _Get Over It_ which I will not link to to spare the hosts.

There may be other opinions.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go with a classic. Bruce Springsteen.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Eagles? They barely register as rock really.

In terms of music, I think Led Zep have to be rated up there. They made some fantastically rocking music.

In terms of performance power, GnR surely - they are performers, and they are good at it. I am ambivalent about some of their music, but they put on a show. Or did, before Slash left - no idea now.

For art rock, I think it is hard to bear Genesis, at least pre-abacab. Or for pretentious student rock, Pink Floyd.

And that is not even starting on the metal bands - Mastadon are producing fantastic stuff with their latest album. Listen to Soused by Scott Walker and Sunn O to see what fantastic a-temporal drone music is about.

So what do you mean by the best ever?????

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
For art rock, I think it is hard to bear Genesis, at least pre-abacab. Or for pretentious student rock, Pink Floyd.

Did you mean to say "bear", or, from the context, "beat"? Either way you'll probably get a lot of agreement ...
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry everyone, but The Groundhogs are the original and the best. The only excuse for not rating them is that you haven't heard them. Split is one of the great LPs of all time.

I like early Alice Cooper too. There's hardly a weak track on Love it to Death or School's Out.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steely Dan. Ok, their lyics usually revolve around drugs, perverts, and more drugs, but the seamless, organic flow of their intrumentation combined with their creative (if tawdry) lyric craft makes them stand apart.

Dr. Wu is perhaps one of the best rock songs ever written. Certainly the most gorgeous piano arrangement I have ever heard.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a really hard question. The problem is what does "best" mean. In terms of influence it is the Beatles. In terms of longevity,the Rolling Stones. God help us, but I think Abba is considered to have sold the most.

In terms of straight rock, I'd probably go with Cream. In terms of talent and amusement I'd go with Queen. In terms of feeling pretty good about Winnipeg (which is difficult), it's The Guess Who. In terms of just having fun, Doobie Brothers. To party with someone special in the 1970s, the Steve Miller Band. The list goes on.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind defining "best" first you have to define "rock", and that will start more fights than the Monty Hall problem in a pub.

Anyway, the answer is clearly the one that I'm going to form tomorrow. Perpetually.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For art rock, I think it is hard to bear Genesis, at least pre-abacab.

Amen. Nowhere near enough fans on the Ship.

(Aiming to Carpet Crawlers on 12-string at open mike night tonight, but boy did Gabriel have a big range!)

(# it's only knock and know-all, but I like it #)

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I did mean "hard to beat Genesis".

I think some people reckon anything after Gabriel left isn't worth it, and others have only heard their later stuff, which is pleasant, but not great. Songs like Ripples and albums like And Then There Were Three are still stunning pieces of work.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

(Aiming to Carpet Crawlers on 12-string at open mike night tonight, but boy did Gabriel have a big range!)

(# it's only knock and know-all, but I like it #)

Nice. Good luck, Eutychus.

Another Genesis fan here, amongst other things. Always suspicious of questions about best anything ever, but from recent times, I'm partial to Queens of the Stone age.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ikkyu
Shipmate
# 15207

- Posted      Profile for Ikkyu   Email Ikkyu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For Prog:
I also love Genesis with Gabriel. And some of the
early post Gabriel work.
For Classic
The Beatles, The Who
For Punk
The Clash, Fugazi,Bad Brains
Heavy
Black Sabbath

Posts: 434 | From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Songs like Ripples.

I'd really like to do that too, but a) the top note is really seriously high and b) you can't do the instrumental part solo!

I've done Back in NYC after finding a manageable acoustic version and changing keys. Genesis are not the easiest band for a guitarist to cover.

I went to see them a couple of times in the Duke/Abacab era and they were the best band I've ever seen live (quietest: Whitesnake! loudest: Wishbone Ash; most disappointing: Siouxie and the Banshees).

I've also seen tribute band The Musical Box do the Selling England tour and the Lamb. They use the original set materials and aim to reproduce a historical concert exactly, down to word-for-word talk between numbers. I knew they would be good from the first chord of Watcher of the Skies - it was like being in 1973!

There is a part in Cinema Show which live is just 'Collins', 'Rutherford' and 'Banks' - I'd never realised before it was just three people and the richness of sound from those three, for the time, was amazing.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought about fleshing this out myself but why should I bother?

Welcome to the forum ship of fools!

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

The thing is, Genesis, in that period (when I got to see their Christmas show at the NEC on 4 hours notice), were the best live band around. I think the technologies have advanced so much since then that there are better, but for their time, they were amazing.

If you are taking MoR music, then for memorable tunes, I think Fleetwood Mac should get a look in. How many people don't know The Chain, even if they can't name it? the rest of the Rumours album is also very well known, very memorable, and brilliant. Albatross still sounds good today, despite being almost as old as me.

So what criteria should you put? U2 have been together and successful for over half the history of contemporary music, and have adjusted their style over time. Sunday Bloody Sunday is still brilliant. As is Beautiful Day.

When you go to individuals and their backing group - who are still bands, but with a focus on an individual - Jimi Hendrix and Gary Moore have to feature. There is no-one who can play like Jimi could. But how can you compare them to the likes of ELP?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither Genesis nor U2 are on my list. Just a little too earnest. GnR, nope, not for people beyond a particular age.

Dire Straits? Knoffler the axe man.

Some groups had excellent albums and then not so much. Anyone recall Nazareth? Had them on 8-track. When this thread goes Bay City Rollers we'll know we're done.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Anyone recall Nazareth?
Yes, I have My White Bicycle somewhere around here. But I only recently discovered it was about heroin. In fact it's hard to find a single from that era that's not actually about hard drugs...

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
quote:
Anyone recall Nazareth?
Yes, I have My White Bicycle somewhere around here. But I only recently discovered it was about heroin. In fact it's hard to find a single from that era that's not actually about hard drugs...
You missed the ones about sex and love and drinking?

Love Hurts
Hair of the Dog
This Flight Tonight

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Love Hurts" was of course originally recorded by the Everly Brothers fully 15 years earlier. It probably wasn't about whatever was in vogue in 1975.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Eagles? They barely register as rock really.

In terms of music, I think Led Zep have to be rated up there.

If you're going to play the genre precision game, much if not most of what they did in their heyday (LZI thru IV) was blues. Rocking blues. But blues.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Steely Dan. Ok, their lyics usually revolve around drugs, perverts, and more drugs

And condoms.

quote:
Dr. Wu is perhaps one of the best rock songs ever written. Certainly the most gorgeous piano arrangement I have ever heard.
I'd say this is far from their best song. Everything on Aja beats it.

quote:
quote:

Puhleeze. In a world with Yes and the Moody Blues, you pick Genesis? "Hard to bear" is right.

quote:
U2 have been together and successful for over half the history of contemporary music

What exactly does that mean, "contemporary music"? All music is contemporary at the time it's made.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought of Aja (just the track) but Dr Wu won out-- the piano just sends me. My all time favorite push-repeat- repeatedly jam is Show Biz Kids, and Time out of mind is absolute sex, but for me Dr Wu has all the elements that make me a Steely Dan fan.

Of course, you can sway my opinion by playing Gaucho (best story) or Sign in, Stranger (my favorite lyrics and harmony). but really, they make it hard to pick a favorite.

and Any World that I'm Welcome to is my theme song.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Any major dude with half a heart surely would tell you that "Deacon Blues" is their best slow drag.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Not for me. Gaucho. Nothing against Deacon Blues, but it gets totally overplayed on the rock stations around here.

[ETA NO! so wrong! Pretzel Logic! ]

Joe Jackson is a big SD fan and did an absolutely kickass cover of Major Dude on solo piano. Youtube it.

[ 06. December 2014, 04:42: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't even begin to imagine who the best rock band is. But as far as the rock band I love the most, am most likely to want to listen to, it's Joy Division. After that, His Name Is Alive, if you count them as rock. (I'm not good with categories, really.)

As far as punk goes, the only punk band I ever liked was the Clash, and they've held up really well. They're pretty good rock'n'roll, never mind the sub-genres.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Queen fan and not ashamed to admit it.

For cheesy over-the-top big-haired 80s fun, I find Def Leppard good value for money.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
And condoms.

Surely you mean dildos?
quote:
Puhleeze. In a world with Yes and the Moody Blues, you pick Genesis?
Yes (i.e.: affirmative). I was disappointed by Yes (admittedly post-Anderson) in concert, and while the traditional lineup are/were all very accomplished musicians, I don't think the group sound is so consistently good. Perhaps we can agree on Bill Bruford, who played in both bands? My album knowledge of the Moody Blues extends only to A question of balance and I'm content to let it stay there.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As has been pointed out, rock can mean many things. I remember being exited when a Virgin Rock radio station started, when in fact I liked about 2% of what they played, what with them playing the likes of that bloody "life is life" song, or Foreigner.

Mention of Black Sabbath here prompts me to say that I think of them, originally, as a blues band. They are considered to be metal, of course, but metal itself was an offshoot of blues until, I would argue, Judas Priests "British steel" moved themselves and metal in general away from blues, with the NWOBHM marking a clean break.

Certainly, a band I deffo class as rock and one I love is AC/DC, whose music includes a lot of blues numbers. Other bands commonly called heavy metal but I consider to be rock, such as Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, also were massively blues influenced. (Interestingly, Iron Maiden, the pinicle of evolution, don't look to punk bands for their inspiration, as many assume of NWOBHM bands, but the likes of Free.)

Still, Iron Maiden have done rock songs (the dreadful "Bring your daughter...", for example), and Metallica's "Load" album was comprised of rock (and rock/blues) songs.

Prog rock fans may like "Hocus Pocus" by Focus (a song the Maiden have covered).

Many words, little sense, as one says in German. My conclusion is that rock and metal is rooted in blues, Black music. (Furthermore, the leather and studs imagery of heavy metal started with Rob Halford of Judas Priest, who had picked up the look from gay clubs. In other words, the now very white and heterosexual* heavy metal has Black and gay roots. * I wonder about class. Is heavy metal working-class? Black Sabbath, the godfathers of metal, of course were).

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Queen. Every time.

Some bands play the same kind of stuff, wear the same clothes, style their hair the same way - and they never progress or develop.

Listen to Queen and you'll find prog rock to rockabilly, heavy metal to synth pop, beautiful ballads to vaudeville, jazz to punk.

You'll find intelligence and triviality, you'll find pomposity and overdubs through to piano chords and a single heartrending voice.
Film music, stadium music through to unplugged singalongs, science fiction to protest, raw sex and almost Christian spirituality, gay through to macho raunchiness. And loads of tongue in cheek humour.

Bohemian Rhapsody is number one every time.

Did I mention I was a Queen fan?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Actually, Yes did do some great music too. And some rubbish.

It used to be a fairly clear division between Rock, pop, metal, blues, prog etc. While some bands would draw influences from different places, they tended to fit into one or other primary category - Led Zep, for example, while they drew from blues, were clearly rock, but influenced metal.

These days, most bands draw from so many roots, we have an explosion of genres. So it matters if you like Goth Ambient Death Metal rather than Ambient Black Death Metal, even though, to the uninitiated, they might sound the same. So many bands cross genres, that it becomes difficult to make any real comparisons. And many music fans - like myself - enjoy a range of different musical styles based on how I feel.

I have Kate Tempest, Mastodon, Placebo, James, Underworld and Adrian Snell on my Spotify list at the moment. I enjoy all of them, but I cannot compare - they are all excellent within their particular style. I mean how do you compare Nancy Boy with Eva's Song? Is Pale communion or Everybody Down a better album? Who knows.

The other problem is, for the best rock band, do you take one incarnation of a band? Or the whole of the work they did? Does "I Can't Dance" counter "Ripples"? Does "November Rain" make up for "Paradise City"?

The real issue is, I no longer care, because I like good music, whoever it is by, whatever genre they are in, and whatever else they have done. I like Pixie Lott's Caravan of Love. I don't have to like anything else she has done.

And this is not a criticism of the OP. It is just an exploration of the odd and diverse world we live in today. My favorite song and band will change daily/weekly/monthly. So what is "best" is a very ephemeral matter.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Listen to Queen and you'll find prog rock to rockabilly, heavy metal to synth pop, beautiful ballads to vaudeville, jazz to punk.

Prog rock? Jazz? Punk? Which songs to you have in mind there?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
quote:

Prog rock? Jazz? Punk? Which songs to you have in mind there?
Listen to some stuff from the first couple of albums for the prog stuff, especially Queen II.
There are some jazzy-type slow songs in the middle period and if you want something punk, listen to .
Sheer Heart Attack

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

Well, of course. I remember "Who needs you?" or "Melancholy blues" which were quite jazzy. "Queen II" is a masterpiece.

You're right in highlighting their diversity. I went to the Freddie Mercury tribute in 1992 and the other men looked very different to me: All short hair and the such. Hardly a black t-shirt in sight.

Anyone else like Diamond Head here?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
I went to the Freddie Mercury tribute in 1992 and the other men looked very different to me: All short hair...

Yes, that was me! I was there too [Smile] Why didn't you wave?

[ 06. December 2014, 13:00: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Damn right.

My name is Sioni Sais and I bought Tales from Topographic Oceans.

It was a moment of revelation; that Anderson, Howe, Squire & co were purveyors of pretentious shit. From that moment it was back to rock, blues, soul and the better cuts of pop music.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:
quote:
I went to the Freddie Mercury tribute in 1992 and the other men looked very different to me: All short hair...

Yes, that was me! I was there too [Smile] Why didn't you wave?
I swear there was a mess-up with the tickets, in terms of which entrance people should use. It took me two hours to get inside the stadium waiting in the queue. I got in on the opposite end to the stage and had to therefore walk half the pitch. I would have been noticable as one of the few people to headbang when the 'tallica boys were playing.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
And condoms.

Surely you mean dildos?
That crossec my mind, too, but I decided it is entirely possible there are scads of condom references in Steely Dan that I missed. These are the guys that wrote a blues song about the Oddessa.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Best"?

It depends on the genre and the mood I'm in.

For outright loud rock, you won't really beat Led Zep in their prime.

For punk, I would go for the Clash, although my favourite punk songs are by the Buzzcocks and the Undertones.

For blues, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were light years ahead of the rest (check out the awesome three CDs of them live at the Boston Tea Party).

Depending on how you define "rock", I would also put a plea in for Tinariwen. But then if you're including them, why not include Orchestra Baobab?

And how do you define "best"? Overall longevity and quality? Or those bands who have flashes of utter genius? If the latter, then I would also nominate Thin Lizzy from the Jailbreak era.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
quote:
And condoms.

Surely you mean dildos?
That crossec my mind, too, but I decided it is entirely possible there are scads of condom references in Steely Dan that I missed. These are the guys that wrote a blues song about the Oddessa.
Ahem.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

THAT's what the fez is? [Yipee]

Who fans, are you catching this?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Do, by the way, you meant that they wrote a song about the Odyssey? So did Suzanne Vega, and I think it's a good one, personally.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

No, I meant The Odessa. i read some analysis of "Chain Lightning" that said it was basically a tongue in cheek reference to Odessa.

"Home at Last" is one of my favorites, though.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I'm a Queen fan and not ashamed to admit it.

So am I. One of the most fun things I've ever done was (about 20 years ago) being one of the backing singers in a concert by Flash Harry, an excellent Northern Irish Queen tribute band.

I'm also not averse to a spot of Genesis, The Who, Bruce Springsteen and (whisper it) Status Quo. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 07. December 2014, 02:20: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My personal choice is Rush. Still producing incredible new albums after over 40 years with the same three band members. Also their lyrics are outstanding - I often use bits in sermons (unnoticed by the congregation).

Queen would be my more "popular" choice.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Philosophers and ploughmen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the heart

ChristinaMarie used to have that, or one of the other verses, as her sig. here.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Damn right.

It was a moment of revelation; that Anderson, Howe, Squire & co were purveyors of pretentious shit. From that moment it was back to rock, blues, soul and the better cuts of pop music.

There's enough good music in there that TFTT could have been the best side of an album ever recorded. Shame it took four and was over padded with rubbish.

As for later Genesis, despite the pop singles the long numbers were still brilliant. Domino for instance.

Rush are at their best in the concept pieces, 2112, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Clockwork Angels.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More mainstream rock than the proggy stuff. Deep Purple when John Lord was with them. Magnificent.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this where I put in a vote for Barclay James Harvest?

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Damn right.

There's enough good music in there that TFTT could have been the best side of an album ever recorded. Shame it took four and was over padded with rubbish.

I believe that's called the Wagner Effect.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I had a horrible dream last night in which I entered REO Speedwagon on this list. Bloodshed ensued.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Deja Vu the 1970 album by Crosby Stills Nash and Young is one of the best albums ever made IMO. Tapestry (Carol King) and Sweet Baby James (James Taylor) figure in the same era. All of these combine what we would call rock, country, folk and pop today. Which underscores the problem of defining what is meant by rock.

But....

We tried to register a campus club called "The Disco Sucks Club" back then. I am pleased to see no disco entries in this list.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016