homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Best rock band, ever (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Best rock band, ever
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, because most of them would not be called rock bands.

Otherwise-- Earth, Wind, and Fire.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pox on genre-splitters!

Rock is a big tent with many sub-genres (several of which claim to be the One True Church™. If you were to take the most insistent of these--[cough]SC[cough]--at face value, you would have to conclude there was no such thing as rock before 1969, when Led Zeppelin's first album was released). AFAIC, a rock band is :

a) A self-contained collective writing, performing, and recording unit with b)at least two permanent members who make significant creative contributions (solo artists with hired-gun backup bands don't count, even if the sidemen have a band name, e.g. Bruce and the E Street Band, Prince and the Revolution), c) playing music that generally has a strong backbeat and uses drums, and d) whose historical influences can be traced back to the styles of popular music that arose in the mid-1960s in the wake of the Beatles.

The Beatles, of course, invented the rock band, and are the archetype, and anybody who wants to claim that they weren't a rock band needs to go back in time and argue with everyone who knew anything about it in 1966, when there was no doubt in anyone's mind. All other rock bands got to be rock bands by imitating their method, if not their music, which remains the case whether they know it or not.

Also, still the greatest in my book, but picking one is silly game--top ten lists are more traditional in this domain anyway.

I'm thinking about mine.

[ 07. December 2014, 22:40: Message edited by: Timothy the Obscure ]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Is this where I put in a vote for Barclay James Harvest?

Not if you want to have any credibility ever again - EVER!
[Razz]

(I will admit to once owning a BJH album - "Everyone is everybody else". And I liked "Mockingbird". And some mates and I went to Guildford Uni to see them play live, but we weren't allowed in coz we weren't uni students. But "greatest rock band"??? [Ultra confused] )

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you do, I'm going to nominate Budgie....

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Deja Vu the 1970 album by Crosby Stills Nash and Young is one of the best albums ever made IMO. Tapestry (Carol King) and Sweet Baby James (James Taylor) figure in the same era. All of these combine what we would call rock, country, folk and pop today. Which underscores the problem of defining what is meant by rock.

See, I would call this "light rock", which is a whole different animal. And these are three of my favorite albums.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:

Oh hell yes! Another great Welsh band. Once you've heard 'Breadfan' you will never forget Burke Shelley's voice. Decent riff too.

[ 07. December 2014, 23:09: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
if you like 'in your face'

schnop

on a dark router pathway
weird sparks in my hair

-----

I may be conflating two different threads - my bad.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Oh hell yes! Another great Welsh band. Once you've heard 'Breadfan' you will never forget Burke Shelley's voice. Decent riff too.
Good enough for Metallica to cover.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Rush are at their best in the concept pieces, 2112

Talk about your pretentious rubbish. "Look at me! I can tell an Ayn Rand fairytale about how evil collectivism is! Ooooo!"

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
The Beatles, of course, invented the rock band,

¿¿¿ What were the Crickets, after whom the Beatles fashioned their name? ???

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That really bugs me.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
That really bugs me.

I didn't think we'd hear a chirp out of you.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Crickets were Buddy Holly's backup band--it was Buddy Holly and the Crickets, not Buddy Holly as a member of the Crickets. You could make a better case for Chuck Berry as a band, because Johnny Johnson probably wrote all the music and Chuck was just the lyricist and guitar player. The only group comparable to the Beatles--where there was broad collaboration on songwriting, arranging, recording, and live performing--was the Beach Boys, who came along at almost exactly the same time.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not if you want to have any credibility ever again - EVER!
[Razz]

(I will admit to once owning a BJH album - "Everyone is everybody else". And I liked "Mockingbird". And some mates and I went to Guildford Uni to see them play live, but we weren't allowed in coz we weren't uni students. But "greatest rock band"??? [Ultra confused] )

Great album - especially the Poor Boy Blues/Mill Boys/For No One trio at the end. Listen to Live Tapes, BJH were an awesome live band.

Of course, all this was before I was born....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is this where we segue into best Roger Dean album covers?

(wish I'd never parted with the book Views, and used to have a huge poster of the Close to the Edge cover).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Rock is a big tent with many sub-genres (several of which claim to be the One True Church™. If you were to take the most insistent of these--[cough]SC[cough]--at face value, you would have to conclude there was no such thing as rock before 1969, when Led Zeppelin's first album was released).

I am not supporting genre-splitting. Just accepting that it has happened. Personally, as you would appreciate looking at the stuff I have said that I like, it covers such a range that genres clearly have no impact on me.

All I was saying is that, because bands will tend to fit a particular genre, and so play to that genre, it is impossible to compare.

And if you are nominating Budgie, I will say: Saxon!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They were covered when I mentioned the NWOBHM earlier.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How come the Jimi Hendrix Experience hasn't been mentioned getting on into the middle of page two?

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to be terribly daring and mention a group that actually still exists (most of you seem to be living in the past to a high degree). Radiohead are seriously awesome.

Oh, and I'll mention another group that still exists and which I'm currently exploring. The Rolling Stones.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
How come the Jimi Hendrix Experience hasn't been mentioned getting on into the middle of page two?

I did talk about Jimi. Of course he was a musician with backing group really.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
The Crickets were Buddy Holly's backup band--it was Buddy Holly and the Crickets, not Buddy Holly as a member of the Crickets.

They became Buddy Holly and the Crickets later but they were originally the Crickets. Just as the Supremes became Diana Ross and the Supremes, and the Belmonts became Dion and the Belmonts.

The Crickets were a self-contained, songwriting, played-all-their-own-instruments rock band. That Buddy Holly (for a very brief period of course) took top billing doesn't change this. You're basing your argument on the name of the group and not the composition and function of the group. Which is nonsensical.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

You obviously know more about the history of the Crickets than I do, so I yield. I stand by the definition of "rock band," though. And that "rock" means post-Beatles, while "rock & roll" is pre-Beatles.

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Is this a universal differentiation between "rock and roll" and "rock" or your own idiosyncratic one? I tried to find something on the web to explain when the "and roll" got dropped but without success.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wikipedia has this to say about rock 'n' roll. But suspiciously edited anonymously only 13 hours ago...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Is this a universal differentiation between "rock and roll" and "rock" or your own idiosyncratic one? I tried to find something on the web to explain when the "and roll" got dropped but without success.

My more musical friends insist that 'Rock' and 'Rock and Roll' are different. There's a 'swing' to R'n'R that Rock rarely has.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You obviously know more about the history of the Crickets than I do, so I yield. I stand by the definition of "rock band," though. And that "rock" means post-Beatles, while "rock & roll" is pre-Beatles.

Ah, the perils of labels and definitions. Personally, I tend to view "rock'n'roll" as having a more direct lineage back to the 50s/early 60s stuff and swing/jive with full skirts and wotnot, morphing into the whole rockabilly vibe, Stray Cats through to Imelda May and so on. But ... you've then also got bands like the Jim Jones Revue who are very much rock'n'roll with piano-playing straight from the school of Jerry Lee Lewis, just heavied up on the guitars.

And then you stand in the audience at a gig and hear the lead singer say "We are --- and we play rock and roll".

Which gig? Well, two bands spring to mind who regularly say that. Motorhead and The Sisters of Mercy ...

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure about definitions etc, but I'd give the award to the E-Street Band. I guess some of that comes from loving the Springsteen songs, but mostly it's because they are excellent live; great backing musicianship combines with bravura and a lot of fun.

Happy to be bashed up over genre, but this song (from the recent UK Wrecking Ball tour) is the sort of thing I have in mind.

YMMV!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The only group comparable to the Beatles--where there was broad collaboration on songwriting, arranging, recording, and live performing--was the Beach Boys, who came along at almost exactly the same time.

The Byrds?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

The Manic Street Preachers are a rock band (not a Britpop band by any means). Their "The Holy Bible" is one of the best albums ever.

Pity how they turned out.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best, like most superlatives, is largely personal. And when one looks at who influenced who, it is a twisted, intertwined ball of yarn, not a progressive thread.
But if one entity had to be named so for rock, it is the Beatles.
For innovation, variation, influence and popularity, they have no match.
Doesn't mean anyone one person needs to like them the best, but everyone else falls short of the measure.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh. As a direct result of this thread, I am now trying to master the piano intro to Lamb lies down [Waterworks] [brick wall] [Disappointed]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And genre-movers.

Steppenwolf's Born to be wild contains the line 'Heavy Metal thunders.' Heavy Metal got it's name from that song. But if you were to tell a metalhead today that Born to be wild was metal they'd laugh at you. Yet it is the definitive Heavy Metal* song.

And don't get me started on R&B which was once blues tinged energetic rock and now is music such as Beyonce, soul with the energy removed.

--

* Though I'd probably define it as the first 4 Black Sabbath albums.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Personally, I tend to view "rock'n'roll" as having a more direct lineage back to the 50s/early 60s stuff and swing/jive with full skirts and wotnot, morphing into the whole rockabilly vibe, Stray Cats through to Imelda May and so on. But ... you've then also got bands like the Jim Jones Revue who are very much rock'n'roll with piano-playing straight from the school of Jerry Lee Lewis, just heavied up on the guitars.

Or, as the Blessed Muddy Waters once sang:
The Blues had a baby and they called it rock'n'roll

So perhaps we should see the roots of rock in the blues?

(And I am well aware of the suggestions that have been made about the links between the Blues and the kind of music being played in West Africa, where many slaves in the Mississippi area were taken from. Which kinda brings me back to Tinariwen....)

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That and country. In roughly equal amounts, it seems to me.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am surprised there has been no mention of the band that kept proper rock'n'roll alive throught the plastic pop years - Motorhead. I rarely miss a chance to see them live.

As for my runners-up, I would plump for Uriah Heep and Slade.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I am surprised there has been no mention of the band that kept proper rock'n'roll alive throught the plastic pop years - Motorhead. I rarely miss a chance to see them live.

You might want to take a peek here.
[Cool]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I saw Sisters of Mercy and got too depressed to read the line properly. We need a mopey goth emoticon...
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Wikipedia has this to say about rock 'n' roll. But suspiciously edited anonymously only 13 hours ago...

[Killing me]

Any song that prompts a five year old boy to pick up a wooden block, play air guitar, and chant "Rock 'n' roll, rock 'n' roll, rock 'n' roll" is rock 'n' roll.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
The only group comparable to the Beatles--where there was broad collaboration on songwriting, arranging, recording, and live performing--was the Beach Boys, who came along at almost exactly the same time.

The Byrds?
The Byrds didn't have the run of hit after hit after hit that the Beach Boys and Beatles did. They had a brief fling in the mid 60s but nothing like the decade of the Beatles and the near-decade of the Beach Boys.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:

Not equally. More like three grandparents in the blues and 1 in country.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:

Not equally. More like three grandparents in the blues and 1 in country.
I don't think we can disregard the influence of New Orleans jazz either. Early R'n'R had a lot of brass, which is rare in blues and country.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

And genre-movers.

Steppenwolf's Born to be wild contains the line 'Heavy Metal thunders.' Heavy Metal got it's name from that song. But if you were to tell a metalhead today that Born to be wild was metal they'd laugh at you. Yet it is the definitive Heavy Metal* song.

And don't get me started on R&B which was once blues tinged energetic rock and now is music such as Beyonce, soul with the energy removed.

Oi! I got a new arsehole torn me for saying that about R&B here a few months back. Doesn't stop you being bang on.

If anyone asks "what is heavy metal" I play Ace of Spades. It's not the best metal song ever, but it is three minutes of perfect explanation of exactly what metal is.

And why, people, have Jethro Tull not appeared on this thread as yet when they should have been the one post answer to the question in the thread title?

[ 10. December 2014, 07:04: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
And why, people, have Jethro Tull not appeared on this thread as yet when they should have been the one post answer to the question in the thread title?

The guy who sold me my first and only electric guitar wanted to dress like Ian Anderson - until he found out just how much that would cost.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

If anyone asks "what is heavy metal" I play Ace of Spades. It's not the best metal song ever, but it is three minutes of perfect explanation of exactly what metal is.

And ironically, as pointed out, Motörhead don't see themselves as being a metal band.

For me it's the definitive metal song, and video, is Judas Priest's "Painkiller". If I had to name a Maiden song, I'd go for "The number of the beast", even though they've done many better songs.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boxes. Why do we bother? Why do radio stations? The US market seems particularly prone to the desire to know which 'box' to put music in and has trouble handling something that crosses the boundaries. But crossing boundaries is how some of the most interesting stuff happens.

I only try to divide my music collection into 'classical' and 'popular', and even THAT breaks down occasionally.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. I divide music into 'stuff I like' and 'stuff I don't like'.

Works for me.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

This is why I like 6 Music, because they play good music, irrespective of category. You can get jazz, metal, indie, instrumental all in one day.

I did write an paean to Mary Anne Hobbs, because I think she epitomises this. She plays all sorts of music, and appreciates it all because it is all good music. She did a show on Radio 3 playing mainly classical, she plays metal and drone, and semi-classical-piano instrumental music. It is all music, and she loves it all.

That is the core point. Music is music is music. Some of it is good, some of it is bad; some I like, some I don't. But it is all music.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
That is the core point. Music is music is music. Some of it is good, some of it is bad; some I like, some I don't. But it is all music.

Totally agree with this that the best music bursts through categories like genre. I like distinctions made earlier in thread between rock/blues and rock/post-blues. My strongest opinions are that AC/DC in the Bonn Scott era could claim to be the best rock/blues group ever, but the Geordie singer dragged them down. Most progressive rock is pretentious rubbish and especially Focus. There are exceptions to any strong opinion and Sylvia is one of them. Best live band ever was Dave Lee Roth-era Van Halen.

There are some brilliant bands around at the moment. I love listening to anything by The Strypes as much as any music of yesteryear. Sunset Sons, Hudson Taylor and Southern are worth a listen. I'm very happy that my teenage children are listening to music as good if not better than the stuff I grew up with. The best thing about it is that they have decades of music to immerse themselves in and loads of influences.

Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I don't think we can disregard the influence of New Orleans jazz either. Early R'n'R had a lot of brass, which is rare in blues and country.

ISTM, jazz arrived in Rock'nRoll through Jump Blues, which is a child of Jazz. If one can draw a direct line, it would be jazz to swing to jump blues to rock'n'roll. The swung note, that get on your feet and dance to the beat, that is the spark.
Not to shade the arena rock sitting, zippo lighter waving, hippie wannabe, head-banging, spaced raving, prog noodling grand-daughters, but their conception would not have been except for that swing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Depends on what you mean by "a lot"--wasn't it usually a single saxophone?

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take Cream.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016