homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Best rock band, ever (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Best rock band, ever
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
This is why I like 6 Music, because they play good music, irrespective of category. You can get jazz, metal, indie, instrumental all in one day.

Isn't it strange? I love all sorts of music from all over the world. I thought I would love 6 Music when it started. Every time (and I mean EVERY TIME) I listened to it, I switched off after 15 minutes, having been bored out of my mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Music is music is music. Some of it is good, some of it is bad; some I like, some I don't. But it is all music.

Absolutely.

There are very few genres of music that I cannot listen to. House and Trance would probably be the only thing I can think of. I'm not too keen on Country and Western, but I love a bit of Dolly Parton! I love the Blues but can't abide B.B. King. That's how it goes.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
.. but I love a bit of Dolly Parton!

.. I've had a brainworm since I read that ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:

Here's an earworm on a similar topic.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Is this a universal differentiation between "rock and roll" and "rock" or your own idiosyncratic one? I tried to find something on the web to explain when the "and roll" got dropped but without success.

My own observation (having been there at the time, as I know you were) that by 1966 "rock & roll" was no longer in current use, except to refer to Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, etc. It came back in about 1968-69, with what was then called the "rock & roll revival" (CCR, the Band, Cat Mother, and--most egregiously--Sha Na Na). It was in 1969 that the Stones began calling themselves "The World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band." Before that everyone called them a rock band (most would have said the second greatest).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

That made me smile!

Confession time. The brainworm was ''Jolene. Jolene, Jolene, Jole-e-ene" but the lyric got twisted into "which bit, which bit ...." Coupled with giggles and guilt.

Sorry. Too much information.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I don't think we can disregard the influence of New Orleans jazz either. Early R'n'R had a lot of brass, which is rare in blues and country.

Depends on what you mean by "a lot"--wasn't it usually a single saxophone?
Looking at some early R'n'R line ups that's so, but I can hear horns on recordings. Then again there's rock with brass sections too, not to mention the notorious sax soloes, which IMNSHO are fit only for the elevator.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
As for my runners-up, I would plump for Uriah Heep and Slade.

The (double) album version of _Live_ ended with a rock and roll medley (not, alas, available on later CDs) which is worth a listen.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

That link told me that the video wasn't available. Perhaps it's just as well ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
but I love a bit of Dolly Parton!

Dare I ask what bit? [Eek!]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
but I love a bit of Dolly Parton!

Dare I ask what bit? [Eek!]
If you have to ask, you probably won't understand....
[Biased]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'all don't make me throw Juice Newton at you.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Projectile]
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
The (double) album version of _Live_ ended with a rock and roll medley (not, alas, available on later CDs) which is worth a listen.

It is available on Spotify though.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stones ; No argument! I would have said Led Zeppelin if I had ever seen them but I have not and did see the Rolling Stones twenty years ago. Zep did not invent heavy metal anyway: that was done by an obscure US band called Blue Cheer. Their first album on vinyl predated them by at least a year.

Greatest guitar player of all time remains of course, Jimi...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Stones ; No argument! I would have said Led Zeppelin if I had ever seen them but I have not and did see the Rolling Stones twenty years ago.

I think a very good argument could be made that LZ is not a rock band but a blues band.

--------------------

Canucklehead
Shipmate
# 1595

- Posted      Profile for Canucklehead   Author's homepage   Email Canucklehead   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Talk about your pretentious rubbish. "Look at me! I can tell an Ayn Rand fairytale about how evil collectivism is! Ooooo!"
This made me chuckle. Also, Neil Peart was number 2 on Blender's list of worst rock lyricists - surpassed only by Sting.
Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but I don't mind small amounts of Rush.
My vote goes to the mighty Zeppelin.

Posts: 135 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canucklehead:
I don't mind small amounts of Rush.

Me to! Sometimes my enjoyment lasts almost to the end of a song.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I suppose it's telling that my favorite Rush numbers are "La Villa Strangiata" and "YYZ." Every time I hear "Trees" I want to bash Neil Peart in the teeth with Joyce Kilmer.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think a very good argument could be made that LZ is not a rock band but a blues band.

The Stones were a blues band too when they first started out. Sir Michael could really wail on the harmonica on cuts such as "Midnight Gambler"!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Stones ; No argument! I would have said Led Zeppelin if I had ever seen them but I have not and did see the Rolling Stones twenty years ago.

There's no question that they played blues songs, and that the blues looms heavily over their work. But "Your Time Is Gonna Come" isn't a blues song at all; neither is "Good Times Bad Times" or "Black Mountain Side" (which is actually an old Irish folk song). And that's just the first album!

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

So you're saying that in order to be a "blues band" a band has to play NOTHING BUT BLUES? Ever? At all?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So you're saying that in order to be a "blues band" a band has to play NOTHING BUT BLUES? Ever? At all?

They would best be described as a rock band heavily influenced by the blues. Actually there is a better description, backed by successful lawsuits, but I'll still refrain from giving it in deference to the Ship's copyright policy. Which, in regards to the lawsuits, is a bit ironic.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Sorry everyone, but The Groundhogs are the original and the best. The only excuse for not rating them is that you haven't heard them. Split is one of the great LPs of all time.

I like early Alice Cooper too. There's hardly a weak track on Love it to Death or School's Out.

I saw Groundhogs live in Reading when I was about 17 - and I sat on the stage! Great album.

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pink Floyd are my all time favourites, with Led Zep a very close second. The Stones are good - are they in their 70s now? I can remember enjoying bands like Ten Years After and Family, years ago. What ever happened to them? An album I still play every now and again is Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention 'Hot Rats'. It hasn't dated at all. These days I love Faithless, but I'm not sure if they would be classed as rock and anyway, they have split up.

[ 17. December 2014, 12:36: Message edited by: leftfieldlover ]

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for thread necromancy but I had a sudden urge to have a youtube moment with Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy doing I'm a Rocker - still as mindblowingly brilliant as ever.

I'm a bit of a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan as well but find Zep quite dated these days.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016